Size or Sound? A Home Theater Gaming Matter - Page 4 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Gaming & Content Streaming > Home Theater Gaming > Xbox Area > Size or Sound? A Home Theater Gaming Matter

Xbox Area

Joey Cusack's Avatar Joey Cusack
09:59 AM Liked: 10
post #91 of 163
09-13-2007 | Posts: 231
Joined: Feb 2007
Well I just got done playing COD4 MP Beta. Which I am pretty good at so far. I noticed some really cool things!!! THE GAME IS ALMOST MADE FOR A SURROUND SOUND SYSTEM!

I was upstairs in a building....I heard footsteps, but had no idea where they were coming from...

I kept turning around and getting confused....for there were footsteps to be heard everywhere...

So my only option was to wait till someone actually did come up the steps..with facing the two holes in the walls upstairs...

Yes I did neutralize the enemy when I saw him...but I could have got more kills had I not been worried about from where the enemy would enter...thats when i realized!!!

I cannot afford a pieced-together home theater system!
I cannot afford to buy a HTIB and buy upgraded speakers at the same time!
AND 2.1 IS NOT THE WAY TO GO FOR ME! I WANT TO KNOW WHERE MY ENEMIES ARE NOW!

I think the onkyo HTIB will be my final decision in the end! I want a big screen so I can be absorbed in the game...like I am actually there...COD4 is very realistic in terms of gameplay,design, and of course graphics! So I need a HDTV and sound system that can take FULL ADVANTAGE of this SICK game's features And its even been stated in a review that if you have surround sound you can HEAR THE PEOPLE walking in the streets and what not.

The 2.1 option for about 500 bucks that the guy showed me with the athena pictures was awesome...and I was really going for it, but now playing COD4 and thinking about when is the next time I will have money to add new speakers....and how long people will be sneaking up behind me until I have surround sound is a bad thought.

Its already been stated a million times that the Onkyo HTIB can be upgraded too.

My only other question for you guys is this...check this link out...shows pictures of my bedroom and where I want the tv to go. As you can see in the pictures my bed takes up a nice bit of room....and dont worry about the dresser it wont stay in that spot..it will go in place of my alienware's desk...the desk will be sold or thrown away since the alienware will hook up to my HDTV...As for the bed I will most likely be replacing it with a Daybed that will be placed DIRECTLY IN FRONT of my HDTV. Therefore perfect 8-9FT Viewing Angle based on my measurements.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...27%3Cbr%20/%3E

The subwoofer will be on the ground behind my Daybed, but where shall I put the speakers for optimum sound quality?
Mike LS's Avatar Mike LS
10:37 AM Liked: 10
post #92 of 163
09-13-2007 | Posts: 1,658
Joined: Jan 2002
You're going to have a hard time getting the best sound using that short wall for your front stage. I see that's where your coax hookup is, but as far as your sound goes, I'd suggest using the wall with the windows as your front stage. Get you some blackout shades, or simply build you a light wood frame to fit the window opening and staple black plastic to it. Move your blinds out a bit and put the blackout frame behind the blinds. Unless your room is on the front of the house, then you might want to go for a more finished look with a retail product.

Anyway, with as large a TV as you're looking to get, I'd use one of the long walls for the TV so you can get some separation between your display and the front channels. The surrounds would have to be somewhat rigged unless you have access to the attic to run wires and can suspend your surrounds from the ceiling.

If you have to use that short wall, you're hugely limited on how you place your front channels with the walkway into the room. What is that short wall....6 or 8 feet? Most of that is going to be TV and your speakers will wind up a foot from your display on both sides. Not optimal at all. Too, if you have to center your whole system on that one wall, it's going to throw the balance off with all that dead space to the right.

But I guess you have to use what you have. Still, I'd use one of the long walls as my front stage and arrange my furniture around that.
lynesjc's Avatar lynesjc
05:18 PM Liked: 14
post #93 of 163
09-13-2007 | Posts: 1,983
Joined: Feb 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadRusch View Post

I don't care what anyone says, small speakers dont sound as full or rich as larger speakers with larger (6-10") drivers.....larger speakers just move more air and wind up presenting a much fuller soundstage, at least in my experience, and I'll say right now I'm not a huge audiophile. If I had to buy a 5.1 setup with bookshelves, I'd just go with the HTIB speakers and save my pennies for larger speakers down the line.

There are very few bookshelves that have 6" or bigger drivers. Most are 5.25". So, you're pretty much ruling everything out except for floorstanders. I like floorstanders as much as the next guy, but for HT and Gaming (i.e., 5.1 sources), bookshelves w/ a sub, properly crossed over and amplified, are just as impressive.

I'm with you on 2 channel stuff if you're a big stereo (i.e., cd-audio) guy, but for 5.1 gaming, nah, bookshelves FTW.
lynesjc's Avatar lynesjc
05:20 PM Liked: 14
post #94 of 163
09-13-2007 | Posts: 1,983
Joined: Feb 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Cusack View Post

The 2.1 option for about 500 bucks that the guy showed me with the athena pictures was awesome...

The 2.1 was $400.
HeadRusch's Avatar HeadRusch
05:56 PM Liked: 49
post #95 of 163
09-13-2007 | Posts: 9,881
Joined: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynesjc View Post

There are very few bookshelves that have 6" or bigger drivers. Most are 5.25". So, you're pretty much ruling everything out except for floorstanders. I like floorstanders as much as the next guy, but for HT and Gaming (i.e., 5.1 sources), bookshelves w/ a sub, properly crossed over and amplified, are just as impressive.

For gaming, maybe...for Movies, you gotta go big. Towers up front and a properly matched Center. For rears, whatever you want is cool......
Mike LS's Avatar Mike LS
07:11 PM Liked: 10
post #96 of 163
09-13-2007 | Posts: 1,658
Joined: Jan 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadRusch View Post

For gaming, maybe...for Movies, you gotta go big. Towers up front and a properly matched Center. For rears, whatever you want is cool......

Towers are so 90's
Joey Cusack's Avatar Joey Cusack
08:13 PM Liked: 10
post #97 of 163
09-13-2007 | Posts: 231
Joined: Feb 2007
Yeah Headrusch, the wall is 8 ft. I dunno yo....I thought it was gonna be ok having them on both sides of teh tv....guess not.
ChrisFB's Avatar ChrisFB
09:53 PM Liked: 33
post #98 of 163
09-13-2007 | Posts: 2,383
Joined: Aug 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike LS View Post

Towers are so 90's

That's cool, I'm not so impressed with the 2000's so far. I'll hang back and wait.

I'm just way too into music. I like having the whole home theater setup but largely I find it a small value add compared to good two channel performance. At times I think I could almost do without the rest (sacrilege I know).

That said, I've had some unbelievable moments in games thanks to surround. One time a friend and I were headed up a snow slope in Halo. I had a feeling and asked him twice if there was anything behind us. Finally on instinct I just spun around switching to the rocket launcher only to immediately blow a plane out of the sky that was almost on top of us. After it crashed I realized the low ambient sound that was now gone was actually the plane swooping down on us from behind. We both thought that was pretty cool.

To the OP, if the Onkyo HTIB receiver can drive somewhat decent speakers it's probably the way to go if you want to pull the trigger now and you aren't interested in buying used and piecing together a system. Later on, if you want to build up your system you can start swapping pieces out over time. That said, don't assume the Onkyo will adequately drive any and all speakers because that's what you've been told. Many speakers require more power to sound good or anywhere near their best - but those tend to be higher end and more than a couple steps up from where you are likely shopping. So keep in mind that there are no absolutes and to a large degree you do get what you pay for (not that the Onkyo HTIB isn't a good deal).
Joey Cusack's Avatar Joey Cusack
11:35 PM Liked: 10
post #99 of 163
09-13-2007 | Posts: 231
Joined: Feb 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFB View Post

That's cool, I'm not so impressed with the 2000's so far. I'll hang back and wait.

I'm just way too into music. I like having the whole home theater setup but largely I find it a small value add compared to good two channel performance. At times I think I could almost do without the rest (sacrilege I know).

That said, I've had some unbelievable moments in games thanks to surround. One time a friend and I were headed up a snow slope in Halo. I had a feeling and asked him twice if there was anything behind us. Finally on instinct I just spun around switching to the rocket launcher only to immediately blow a plane out of the sky that was almost on top of us. After it crashed I realized the low ambient sound that was now gone was actually the plane swooping down on us from behind. We both thought that was pretty cool.

To the OP, if the Onkyo HTIB receiver can drive somewhat decent speakers it's probably the way to go if you want to pull the trigger now and you aren't interested in buying used and piecing together a system. Later on, if you want to build up your system you can start swapping pieces out over time. That said, don't assume the Onkyo will adequately drive any and all speakers because that's what you've been told. Many speakers require more power to sound good or anywhere near their best - but those tend to be higher end and more than a couple steps up from where you are likely shopping. So keep in mind that there are no absolutes and to a large degree you do get what you pay for (not that the Onkyo HTIB isn't a good deal).

Yeah I really wanna just experience surround sound, but at the same time have a big beautiful immersive screen to look at and absorb in the game. I am sure from you guys responses that the HTIb will fit my current needs.
Joey Cusack's Avatar Joey Cusack
11:11 PM Liked: 10
post #100 of 163
09-14-2007 | Posts: 231
Joined: Feb 2007
Hmmm I am definitely gonna need more suggestions on where I will be putting my center stage and where I put speakers. Do I even have room for 7.1? lol
Mike LS's Avatar Mike LS
07:04 AM Liked: 10
post #101 of 163
09-15-2007 | Posts: 1,658
Joined: Jan 2002
Quote:


Do I even have room for 7.1

In that room, no. Granted, you have the physical room for the speakers I guess, but in that tight a space there will be no separation between the channels....it's going to sound like one solid channel across the side and back. I'd just stick with 5.1 until you can spread it out some.
KBI's Avatar KBI
10:58 PM Liked: 10
post #102 of 163
09-15-2007 | Posts: 2,467
Joined: Aug 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Cusack View Post

Well I just got done playing COD4 MP Beta. Which I am pretty good at so far. I noticed some really cool things!!! THE GAME IS ALMOST MADE FOR A SURROUND SOUND SYSTEM!

I was upstairs in a building....I heard footsteps, but had no idea where they were coming from...

I kept turning around and getting confused....for there were footsteps to be heard everywhere...

So my only option was to wait till someone actually did come up the steps..with facing the two holes in the walls upstairs...

Yes I did neutralize the enemy when I saw him...but I could have got more kills had I not been worried about from where the enemy would enter...thats when i realized!!!

I cannot afford a pieced-together home theater system!
I cannot afford to buy a HTIB and buy upgraded speakers at the same time!
AND 2.1 IS NOT THE WAY TO GO FOR ME! I WANT TO KNOW WHERE MY ENEMIES ARE NOW!

I think the onkyo HTIB will be my final decision in the end! I want a big screen so I can be absorbed in the game...like I am actually there...COD4 is very realistic in terms of gameplay,design, and of course graphics! So I need a HDTV and sound system that can take FULL ADVANTAGE of this SICK game's features And its even been stated in a review that if you have surround sound you can HEAR THE PEOPLE walking in the streets and what not.

The 2.1 option for about 500 bucks that the guy showed me with the athena pictures was awesome...and I was really going for it, but now playing COD4 and thinking about when is the next time I will have money to add new speakers....and how long people will be sneaking up behind me until I have surround sound is a bad thought.

Its already been stated a million times that the Onkyo HTIB can be upgraded too.

My only other question for you guys is this...check this link out...shows pictures of my bedroom and where I want the tv to go. As you can see in the pictures my bed takes up a nice bit of room....and dont worry about the dresser it wont stay in that spot..it will go in place of my alienware's desk...the desk will be sold or thrown away since the alienware will hook up to my HDTV...As for the bed I will most likely be replacing it with a Daybed that will be placed DIRECTLY IN FRONT of my HDTV. Therefore perfect 8-9FT Viewing Angle based on my measurements.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...27%3Cbr%20/%3E

The subwoofer will be on the ground behind my Daybed, but where shall I put the speakers for optimum sound quality?

I know where footsteps are coming from from my 2 channel headphone set up.. But 5.1 is more fun & immersive..
KBI's Avatar KBI
11:08 PM Liked: 10
post #103 of 163
09-15-2007 | Posts: 2,467
Joined: Aug 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Cusack View Post

Well, I have been thinking(like I have been since forever) and I was wondering how good is the sound quality on these surround sound headphones you guys are talking about?

How do they compare to say a good home theater system?
How about for movies?

Because I am really gettin interested in the 360 Elite so I can have HDMI...because EVERYONE now is saying it makes such a big difference...and I like PQ better than sound quality.

5.1 headphones from Pioneer/Philips/Sony are the best. They are also wireless for convience. I'd avoid the 'gaming' 5.1 headphones as they use 8 small, supbar drivers, & replace true bass with a rumble function. The others use DD 5.1 DSP with a quality pair of stereo headphones, so you get better SS & a better SQ experience.. The headphone laymen think the gaming 5.1 headphones are better cause they have 8 discrete drivers, but it's the opposite. It makes them worse.
KBI's Avatar KBI
11:15 PM Liked: 10
post #104 of 163
09-15-2007 | Posts: 2,467
Joined: Aug 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riblet View Post

Headphones for gaming can be ok, but IMO it ruins the audio experience for movies. I use a full-blown audio system for all gaming and movies. Nothing else would ever satisfy me again.


I use component output at 720p from the Xbox360 onto a 92" projector screen that I sit 9' from. My projector is an old Z2 720p lcd projector. This setup is quite awesome compared to most smaller rear-projector setups. Is HDMI $350 better? no. But if you can swap for nearly nothing....

Secondly, size adds immersiveness. Bigger is better for being "in the game". Anyone telling you that "sitting too close is bad" probably plays on a rear projection TV, or on a direct view. People that play on a front projector will tell you that sitting closer is better. You will want to sit as close as you can where the edge of the screen just starts to disappear. For me, this is a little farther from the screen than the diagonal (92" vs 108"). So I think a projector setup would be perfect in your 12' room.
  • Projectors are cheaper
  • That leaves more money for the audio system
  • Cheap 720p projectors look incredible, better than most <60" tele's
  • A projector takes up zero floor space. Put the projector on a shelf on the wall, the image is on the opposite wall.
  • Because the image is on the wall, you can sit 12 feet away in a 12 foot wide room.
  • More money for the audio system means a much better movie watching and gaming experience
  • You can get quality 720p projectors for under $1000. You can get cheaper ones that are still very nice for even less.
  • With a $2200 budget, I would far prefer having a $800+ 720p projector with $1400 audio system using great ID speakers and receiver than having a $1500 1080p tv with a $700 HTIB audio setup.

Headphones are great for gaming. Ofcourse I'm a headphone nut & wouldn't think twice about dropping 400-700 on a great pair.. I do prefer 5.1 over headphones for gaming, but SQ is still number one to me.. & it would cost me a lot more to better the SQ of my headphone set up, if I decided to go the speaker route, & my current living conditions won't allow it either.
Joey Cusack's Avatar Joey Cusack
06:35 PM Liked: 10
post #105 of 163
09-23-2007 | Posts: 231
Joined: Feb 2007
Nowadays there is alot more to be considered. I will be getting a new car. So I will need a sound system for that etc etc.....

My friend and I have agreed that the 61" is far more immersing than the 56"...I dunno...I guess 1080p is so much MORE noticeable in a 61" than the 56"...I have been researching these 5.1 headphones aswell a little more...

Ever since my pops gave me such a wide margin as to what car I can get....suddenly I dont give a crap about the sound on a freaking tv....Im worried about what I will be driving in and the sound experience in that.

Plus a experienced friend of mine in this area agrees with some of you guys....7.1 and EVEN a 5.1 system wont work too well in my room...he said a custom 3.1 or 4.1 would be better due to the way my room is structured....so that sucks.

Which is why at this current moment I think I will be sticking with a 61" and NO sound system. and 5.1 headphones of some Kind....very confused to say the least though lol...
ChrisFB's Avatar ChrisFB
07:21 PM Liked: 33
post #106 of 163
09-23-2007 | Posts: 2,383
Joined: Aug 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Cusack View Post

Nowadays there is alot more to be considered. I will be getting a new car. So I will need a sound system for that etc etc.....

My friend and I have agreed that the 61" is far more immersing than the 56"...I dunno...I guess 1080p is so much MORE noticeable in a 61" than the 56"...I have been researching these 5.1 headphones aswell a little more...

Ever since my pops gave me such a wide margin as to what car I can get....suddenly I dont give a crap about the sound on a freaking tv....Im worried about what I will be driving in and the sound experience in that.

Plus a experienced friend of mine in this area agrees with some of you guys....7.1 and EVEN a 5.1 system wont work too well in my room...he said a custom 3.1 or 4.1 would be better due to the way my room is structured....so that sucks.

Which is why at this current moment I think I will be sticking with a 61" and NO sound system. and 5.1 headphones of some Kind....very confused to say the least though lol...

Keep in mind we are talking about the setup for a good system and listening environment. From someone who was once reasonably involved in car audio, that is about the worst listening environment known to man. Not that it can't sound good (like your room) but it is so hobbled from the get go that it's a really rough place to start.

If you think people are going to be critical about your room as listening space, think about a car with speakers stuffed in odd locations (with stock openings often below anywhere near decent imaging), off center seating very close to the front stage, ambient noise from a combustion engine running a few feet away, tire noise on pavement, and wind noise at speed. Now, I'm one that enjoys to listen to music in the car and really appreciates a good clean system but no human in their right mind is going to look at your room and a car and decide the car is the better listening environment to get good sound.
Joey Cusack's Avatar Joey Cusack
09:49 PM Liked: 10
post #107 of 163
09-23-2007 | Posts: 231
Joined: Feb 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFB View Post

Keep in mind we are talking about the setup for a good system and listening environment. From someone who was once reasonably involved in car audio, that is about the worst listening environment known to man. Not that it can't sound good (like your room) but it is so hobbled from the get go that it's a really rough place to start.

If you think people are going to be critical about your room as listening space, think about a car with speakers stuffed in odd locations (with stock openings often below anywhere near decent imaging), off center seating very close to the front stage, ambient noise from a combustion engine running a few feet away, tire noise on pavement, and wind noise at speed. Now, I'm one that enjoys to listen to music in the car and really appreciates a good clean system but no human in their right mind is going to look at your room and a car and decide the car is the better listening environment to get good sound.

Thanks for the enlightenment on audio environments.

The 5.1 headphones are a more selfish move....but I believe its the best way to experience Surround sound and get that immersive big screen home theater experience I want right here...right now! The necessary moves have been made. Now its time for the final step....its been a long road...but after I get back from my trip this weekend (provided all goes well financially) I will make my purchase.

The way I see it right now. If I get a HTIB its just very future proof, and then I will have a 56" tv prolly wishing I got the 61". It just feels like I get two lesser components instead of one greater.

I think if I buy the 61" I will atleast be able to say to myself "Hey...atleast I got the big screen I wanted!" instead of saying "MAN...if only I had more money" or "dang....I need to upgrade my Home theater...DANG and this screen REALLY ISNT that BIG!".

I can always work on a Home theater later. And as many said....a tv is much harder to upgrade than a home theater.

Also since I will be hooking my alienware up to my computer I have not added the cost for the necessary cables and all the other optical dongle cables and what not that i will need to hear sound through my computer speakers using my tv as the display? which is better? VGA or that HDMI/DVI that everybody talks bout? And how would I go about doing that? Would anyone be able to inform me of cost?

These are things which I gotta work out...and when you add all this up...and setting up my room it becomes very important to have space and everything set up correctly. Also Hi definition cable is a worry for me....these companies don't send out HDMI cables...so I gotta buy one for that too!

Ah geeez..lol
HeadRusch's Avatar HeadRusch
07:54 AM Liked: 49
post #108 of 163
09-24-2007 | Posts: 9,881
Joined: Nov 2003
All TV's shrink....my 65" CRT rear projector was the biggest thing I'd ever seen the day they delivered it. Today, its like...meh...normal. You adjust to the size in no time, so your 61" will be "man i wish I'd have gone with a 72" set".

My 110" Front Projection screen looks small to me now..."I really should go with a 140" 2.35:1 setup!", etc.

You wont be getting "lesser" if you buy quality.....56" is HUGE for your room space, and even if you put it in another HUGE room someday, your seating will likely still be close, and with the lights off in the dark you're just going to see this nice 56" image hanging in the dark in front of you, you'll go "wow thats big". 56 to 61 is hardly any difference in screen real-estate.

My 65" in daylight looks like a regular TV. with the lights out and slumped in the couch it looks as big as my 110" front projector screen, with the lights out you have nothing to compare the image to so your brain deceives you into making it look and "feel" bigger than it is..is all about perception.

As for Car Audio....yeah i remember when I was young and Car Audio was all the rage. Today I'd still buy an aftermarket stereo and speakers, but only to get clean volume...not to rattle the windows of the neighbors houses when I pull into my driveway :P My last few cars have been factory sets..."good enough".

Invest in your home, because thats where you'll be spending most of your time.
Mike LS's Avatar Mike LS
08:58 AM Liked: 10
post #109 of 163
09-24-2007 | Posts: 1,658
Joined: Jan 2002
First a $2000 + bedroom home theater system, now a car and an audio system for that.

Is there anything your dad won't buy you?

I think I'd be asking dad for the cash and learning how to invest. Screw the toys, you're talking some serious money here.
Joey Cusack's Avatar Joey Cusack
11:02 AM Liked: 10
post #110 of 163
09-24-2007 | Posts: 231
Joined: Feb 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadRusch View Post

All TV's shrink....my 65" CRT rear projector was the biggest thing I'd ever seen the day they delivered it. Today, its like...meh...normal. You adjust to the size in no time, so your 61" will be "man i wish I'd have gone with a 72" set".

My 110" Front Projection screen looks small to me now..."I really should go with a 140" 2.35:1 setup!", etc.

You wont be getting "lesser" if you buy quality.....56" is HUGE for your room space, and even if you put it in another HUGE room someday, your seating will likely still be close, and with the lights off in the dark you're just going to see this nice 56" image hanging in the dark in front of you, you'll go "wow thats big". 56 to 61 is hardly any difference in screen real-estate.

My 65" in daylight looks like a regular TV. with the lights out and slumped in the couch it looks as big as my 110" front projector screen, with the lights out you have nothing to compare the image to so your brain deceives you into making it look and "feel" bigger than it is..is all about perception.

As for Car Audio....yeah i remember when I was young and Car Audio was all the rage. Today I'd still buy an aftermarket stereo and speakers, but only to get clean volume...not to rattle the windows of the neighbors houses when I pull into my driveway :P My last few cars have been factory sets..."good enough".

Invest in your home, because thats where you'll be spending most of your time.

I'm different than most teens though. I am not interested in disrespecting the neighbors with extremely loud speakers. I think 2 12s in the back with two front speakers will suffice in a 2-door convertible.

My pops even says my first car might be brand spanking new if things work out. I was expecting a 500 buck nothing for my first car...then he bust out and says he is willing to spend 12k or more for my first car. So ya know I'm excited.

As for screen size..thats kinda the point is it not...in this case the 56" screen has already shrunk in my eyes and my friend's. Therefore I was gonna go head and go for the 61" lol.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike LS View Post

First a $2000 + bedroom home theater system, now a car and an audio system for that.

Is there anything your dad won't buy you?

I think I'd be asking dad for the cash and learning how to invest. Screw the toys, you're talking some serious money here.

Funny you mentioned that. When I turn 18 this year my pops in starting my own home based travel business which him and I will do together and we have drove to miami and taken investing classes together and have learn a few things. Thats what I plan on doing.

I have never had a job in the actual workforce...always been at home wit pops...I do his taxes....and then again...I used to work with him in his lawn business. I might do that again for a bit.

Anyways thats all off-topic.

What I need to find out now is if I should use the extra cash to first buy a daybed,360w/ HDMI,or 5.1 headphones....

Oh and btw this is what im looking at getting...


HeadRusch's Avatar HeadRusch
11:59 AM Liked: 49
post #111 of 163
09-24-2007 | Posts: 9,881
Joined: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Cusack View Post

As for screen size..thats kinda the point is it not...in this case the 56" screen has already shrunk in my eyes and my friend's. Therefore I was gonna go head and go for the 61" lol.

Whatever you have the budget for, in the end. Just remember at 61" in a 12x12 room (You should ask your Dad for a bigger room, while he's in a spendy mood!) some things are going to look like Ass being that close...HD will lof course look great, games will look great..SD will look just super soft, as it should but some folks aren't prepared for that.

Quote:


What I need to find out now is if I should use the extra cash to first buy a daybed,360w/ HDMI,or 5.1 headphones....

If you get the 61" set, you could sleep in its box!

[/quote]

Probably not the smartest choice in the world due to the amount of gas it consumes (in v6 or v8 guise), its insurance cost with you as primary driver, and its daily drivability / visibility if you really do plan on driving around alot, but then again...its no used Buick.
Joey Cusack's Avatar Joey Cusack
12:20 PM Liked: 10
post #112 of 163
09-24-2007 | Posts: 231
Joined: Feb 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadRusch View Post

Whatever you have the budget for, in the end. Just remember at 61" in a 12x12 room (You should ask your Dad for a bigger room, while he's in a spendy mood!) some things are going to look like Ass being that close...HD will lof course look great, games will look great..SD will look just super soft, as it should but some folks aren't prepared for that.



If you get the 61" set, you could sleep in its box!


Probably not the smartest choice in the world due to the amount of gas it consumes (in v6 or v8 guise), its insurance cost with you as primary driver, and its daily drivability / visibility if you really do plan on driving around alot, but then again...its no used Buick.

Well my dad's boss gave me a 96' jeep grand cherokee limited edition with 76k miles on it. So I can use that for more daily driving....but I'm ALSO getting a more sporty car for more special occasions(my GFs etc..) and short drives to the Gym and such and my job.

That particular car is still better gas mileage than the jeep with a V8 engine and thats all my pops really wanted so....booyah. The firebird has only 45k miles on it aswell. and its a 2001...so aint so bad I guess. If I go for a new car it will prolly be the 2008 Volkswagon Jetta GLI. Great gas mileage, low insurance cost, etc etc...

AHHHHH! I JUST REMEMBERED! my computer speakers are garbage now...I blew the subwoofer and the left speaker! I'm gonna have to use those to get my sound when i hook it up to the tv via HDMI/DVI! Ah well....

Oh can someone explain to me how I go about doing that?
HeadRusch's Avatar HeadRusch
12:28 PM Liked: 49
post #113 of 163
09-24-2007 | Posts: 9,881
Joined: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Cusack View Post

miles on it aswell. and its a 2001...so aint so bad I guess. If I go for a new car it will prolly be the 2008 Volkswagon Jetta GLI. Great gas mileage, low insurance cost, etc etc...

Go right to the R32 version

Quote:


Oh can someone explain to me how I go about doing that?

Doing what exactly...using PC speakers to connect up to a Receiver/TV?? confused...
Mike LS's Avatar Mike LS
12:36 PM Liked: 10
post #114 of 163
09-24-2007 | Posts: 1,658
Joined: Jan 2002
This thread will still be going on next February.


bryansj's Avatar bryansj
12:51 PM Liked: 206
post #115 of 163
09-24-2007 | Posts: 6,452
Joined: Feb 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike LS View Post

This thread will still be going on next February.


I'm just waiting for the post saying "Scratch the TV, speakers, and car plan because my girlfriend is now pregnant. Should I get the carseat that is also a carrier or a standalone carseat. The carrier carseat is more versitile since it can fit into the stroller, but the standalone carseat is sturdier and more comfortable. Also, should I get married before or after the baby?"

I'm not sure what this thread has to do with a 360 anymore.
Mike LS's Avatar Mike LS
01:26 PM Liked: 10
post #116 of 163
09-24-2007 | Posts: 1,658
Joined: Jan 2002
^^

That sums it up
Joey Cusack's Avatar Joey Cusack
01:39 PM Liked: 10
post #117 of 163
09-24-2007 | Posts: 231
Joined: Feb 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadRusch View Post

Go right to the R32 version



Doing what exactly...using PC speakers to connect up to a Receiver/TV?? confused...

The computer speakers to the tv so I can hear sound while surfing the internet and watching videos and what not. I actually need to know the whole process of connecting my PC to my HDTV and getting sound coming from my PC speakers.

Thanks.
Mike LS's Avatar Mike LS
01:41 PM Liked: 10
post #118 of 163
09-24-2007 | Posts: 1,658
Joined: Jan 2002
If your PC speakers are trashed, why not just use the TV speakers? There will be an audio in linked to the VGA in on whatever TV you get. Just run a cable from the PC to the TV and use those speakers.
Joey Cusack's Avatar Joey Cusack
02:03 PM Liked: 10
post #119 of 163
09-24-2007 | Posts: 231
Joined: Feb 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike LS View Post

If your PC speakers are trashed, why not just use the TV speakers? There will be an audio in linked to the VGA in on whatever TV you get. Just run a cable from the PC to the TV and use those speakers.

wow someone told me I could not use tv speakers to hear sound sent from my computer!!!! awesome thanks.

Just to be sure. I am going for the hlt6176s or hlt5676s....those HDTVs have that audio in?

Btw could someone please send me and link or atleast give me the names of all the necessary cables needed to make this process work? That would be sicktastic!

Can someone tell me what the difference is in using a VGA input for my computer to HDTV and using a HDMI/DVI?
oo7evan's Avatar oo7evan
02:20 PM Liked: 10
post #120 of 163
09-24-2007 | Posts: 628
Joined: Feb 2007
I have a 56" Sammy DLP and a ONKYO HTIB and love it. LOVE IT.

You need the big screen and the surround sound. The big screen is beautiful but you'll be amazed at what you've been missing without surround sound.


What's that!? It's a splicer behind you!

Reply Xbox Area

Subscribe to this Thread

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3