post #1 of 146 Old 09-24-2007, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13506_1-9783413-17.html

Quote:

With Halo 3 hype soaring, people are already dreaming about fragging aliens, dual-wielding machine guns and taunting 12-year old kids when the sneak up behind them and put one in their head in a massive online battle.

But what many may not realize is that tomorrow's release of Halo 3 could be a watershed moment for Microsoft and the Xbox 360. With a blockbuster title that will surely captivate millions across the globe, the Xbox 360 will be the most played video game console for the month of October and should catapult the system to the top of the video game world.

As we're all aware, Nintendo currently enjoys the top spot in the video game console war. With nearly 404,000 Wii units sold last month alone, Nintendo is hands-down, the most successful hardware company of this generation. And while Nintendo fans are quick to cite this number when their favorite console is under attack, they fail to mention how it compares to previous months.

According to the NPD group, Nintendo Wii sales dropped 5 percent from July, while the Xbox 360, with 277,000 units sold, witnessed a sales increase of 63 percent from July. To round it out, the abysmal Playstation 3 sold just 131,000 units -- a drop of nearly 18 percent.

Sure, the Nintendo Wii is doing well and it continues to sell better than the competition, but the main reason the Xbox 360 did so well last month was its software. Most notably, Madden. According to NPD, Electronic Arts sold 897,000 copies of the Xbox 360 version of Madden, representing the first time in years that a non-Sony console topped the Madden sales list.

I've said it once and I'll say it again -- software and software alone will drive hardware sales after the initial hype dies down. And if the 5 percent drop in sales is any indication, maybe the Nintendo Wii's hype is finally dropping too.

Halo 3 will undoubtedly be the biggest game of the year. With millions already enjoying previous iterations, tomorrow's release could be the biggest we have ever seen. For many casual gamers, the release of Halo 3 means it's time to buy an Xbox 360. And it's this cadre of individuals that Microsoft has been waiting for.

Up to this point, the Playstation 3 has performed about as poor as we can expect from a console. With no games to tout as deal breakers, the Playstation 3 is dead in the water. And while some still hope for the days of Killzone saving the PS3's day, it's time to give up hope -- nothing can save it now.

But Nintendo is in an entirely different situation. There is no denying the fact that Nintendo has a stranglehold on the industry and has realized that by appealing to the general public instead of just gamers, it can have some success.

But the main issue with Nintendo is its poor software library that is rife with mini-games and barely appealing titles that don't offer enough of an experience to appeal to owners for too long. At this point, the Nintendo Wii feels more like a novelty item than a video game console.

But for all of its issues -- shoddy hardware and underpowered technology -- the Xbox 360 will take the day as long as Halo 3 becomes the success we all expect it to be.

By the end of this year, Halo 3 will sell millions of times. And as long as current Xbox 360 aren't purchasing the game two or three times, we should expect higher console sales numbers going forward.

Much like Mario games of the nineties and Final Fantasy VII, Halo 3 is a blockbuster title that will sell consoles. In fact, Halo 3 is the only reason some people will buy a console this generation.

So before everyone runs out to tell the world that the Nintendo Wii will be the de facto leader going forward, it's incumbent upon all of us to realize that Wii sales are falling, Xbox 360 sales are rising and with Halo 3 right around the corner, that trend will only continue until the latter cements itself as this generation's console war victor.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 146 Old 09-24-2007, 10:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover2002 View Post

http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13506_1-9783413-17.html...And while some still hope for the days of Killzone saving the PS3's day, it's time to give up hope -- nothing can save it now...

Really? And this dude blogs for CNET?

I love my 360 and I am thoroughly enjoying my PS3, even moreso now with Heavenly Sword and Warhawk eating up about 50 percent of my time...

Telling people to give up hope on the system surviving is pure hogwash and appears to be attempting to start flame sh*t.

Theres room for everyone at the gaming table for the time being.

Gamertag= Nexus976lives
PS3= Nexus976
Wii= Be serious, now....
post #3 of 146 Old 09-24-2007, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Actually, it just proves that this guy is prone to exaggeration in an effort to prove to his editors that he had a point to make, really.

PSN/XBL: bassmonkeee
Wii number: Who cares?
post #4 of 146 Old 09-24-2007, 10:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 333
I agree the PS3 dead in the water comments were completely unneccessary, and makes his point of view seem less professional. I have no problem with someone being a fan of the 360.. I am myself and think its incredible. But that doesnt mean the other consoles cant offer an incredible experience themselves.

I'm far from a fan of the PS3.. it simply doesnt live up to the hype created the past two years.

But drop the price of the PS3 another $100 bucks and give me GT5, Hot Shots Golf and a few other exclusive Playstation titles that I have always enjoyed on the PS1, PS2 and PSP.. and I'll be all over the PS3. I think alot of people feel the same way about the PS3.. they come to love Playstation games.. and are still VERY much interested in the PS3.. its just still too expensive with a questionable game library that keeps them actually purchasing it.

Xbox Live & PSN gamertag- Daekwan
www.facebook.com/Daekwan
post #5 of 146 Old 09-24-2007, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Once KillZone comes out and it looks just as good as the CGI a few years ago then I'll be picking one up and so will hundreds of thousands of adult gamers..

D.I.N.K

Double
Income
No
Kids
post #6 of 146 Old 09-24-2007, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by danieloneil01 View Post

Once KillZone comes out and it looks just as good as the CGI a few years ago then I'll be picking one up and so will hundreds of thousands of adult gamers..

Whoever wrote that blog is an idiot, plain and simple.....

And hundreds of thousands is chump change in the video game world.
post #7 of 146 Old 09-24-2007, 10:45 AM
Advanced Member

that writer is clearly biased.

The wii sells so well cause its cheap.
post #8 of 146 Old 09-24-2007, 10:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by 257Tony View Post

Whoever wrote that blog is an idiot, plain and simple.....

And hundreds of thousands is chump change in the video game world.

Well not just that "hundreds of thousands is chump change in the video game world" but the major PS3 titles that were hyped so much in the past have been underwhelming so far.

Motorstorm is pretty but the gameplay is empty.

Lair is basically a joke.

Heavenly sword is a hi-def God of War clone thats too short for most.

Warhawk is online only, and its online suffers from server/rank/stat issues.

So it really makes you question the quality of Killzone2, Uncharted and a few other PS3 exclusives titles.. With the history of PS3 titles.. its hard to convince people the quality of future titles will live up to the hype. Im not saying those titles wont be great.. But what I am saying is I'd definitely wait until it hits store shelves before you go calling it great.

Xbox Live & PSN gamertag- Daekwan
www.facebook.com/Daekwan
post #9 of 146 Old 09-24-2007, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

I do think the halo 3 hype will sell some consoles. I don't think the ps3 is dead and the wii is not on my radar. I think MS is starting to be seen as a game company and not a new comer. That in itself is a big change. I have both a ps3 and a 360. The 360 has more games so it is used more for gaming. But the ps3 is a great piece of hardware and I look forward to some good games. But until mass effect, halo 3 will get a good workout.
post #10 of 146 Old 09-24-2007, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Halo 3 was coming, is coming, is here.

As most interesting destinations, the journey 99% of the fun.

What comes next? Halo 3 may be great, but it's only 1 game and for many the hype ends tomorrow.
post #11 of 146 Old 09-24-2007, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

The PS3 sales are poor no matter how you slice it, even with the recent price drop and the expected spike in sales that followed that. Now I wouldn't say that it's not a beautiful piece of hardware that "gamers" would love to have very much like the PSP, the issue is with the PS3 library not justifying the purchase of a more expensive unit especially without a killer app. The marketing has just really started to roll for Halo 3, everyone here will be sick of seeing ads for it as the shopping season approaches... That will translate into big sales and a ton of 360's bundled with Halo 3 will be under XMAS trees this year.

His argument is valid, H3 could swing the console war in M$ favor... As cool as Heavenly Sword is, it's not going to get the hype or the masses to go out and buy a PS3 for it. So dead in the water is harsh and untrue but plenty of what he wrote makes sense.
post #12 of 146 Old 09-24-2007, 11:05 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
I have all 3 systems, and to me the 360 is the only system that doesn't really have any weaknesses right now. The Wii is fun, but the more I play it, the more I wish they had put more into the graphics, they just don't cut it, especially compared to the PS3 and 360. The PS3 really doesn't have enough exclusives or must have titles for me. I only bought warhawk(very fun) and heavenly sword(awesome, but too short and will be taking it back), all other non-exclusives get purchased on the 360 (developers still can't get games to run flawlessly on the PS3). As far as Halo goes, I wasn't a fan until I started playing this one. This game is truly a masterpiece, one of the few games that live up to the hype IMO. I honestly believe this title is going to take the 360 to the next level, it's that good.
post #13 of 146 Old 09-24-2007, 11:24 AM
Advanced Member

I have both PS3 and 360 and they both serve their purpose well for me. I love my 360 for its gaming and my PS3 for its Blu-Ray movie playability. I have a huge feeling that there will be an exclusive game that the PS3 will have that will blow everyones socks off. What it is or where it is, I don't know.....I just hope it comes!

Gamertag: BaneAssassin
PSN: BaneAssassin
post #14 of 146 Old 09-24-2007, 11:27 AM
AVS Club Gold

The blogger hit it right on the head.

PS3 is & has been in trouble since it's launch. Sony put too much stock in the Blu-Ray player/features of the PS3.

Wii is cute, but after a while the cuteness wears off.

XB360 is a hardcore gamers console & dream & the XB360 simply put has the majority of games most gamers want.

Bioshock pushed sales & a few hardware sales as well, imagine what the like sof Halo3, Mass Effect will do.

GO SPURS! GO COWBOYS!
post #15 of 146 Old 09-24-2007, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

I have all the systems..... now the PS3 is the only console i use 5% of my time.... why... because its a movie console first and then a game console second. People wont realize this, people wont accept this but sorry its true. Just a year after the xbox was released, the XBOX 360 had more games then the PS3.

Price and software is what lead people to buy things. With Halo3 arriving tomorrow, it will give MS a big boost and with the holidays fast approaching, its a no brainer that this console will have great games coming for it. PS3 on the other hand was built for the blu ray aspect.

my .02

2011 SUPERBOWL CHAMPIONS- New York Giants!!!

Gamertag: GENERAL CUPKAKE
post #16 of 146 Old 09-24-2007, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Metal Gear Solid 4 will probably generate this much hype when the time comes but it might be too late since the "average" gamer who will only have one console will have already spent their $$ on a 360. I too was never a Halo fan but lately I've sort of bought into the hype. Everything I've seen thus far has left me impressed and I can't wait to pick up a copy.

Is the PS3 dead in the water? No, but by golly they're starting the drowning process and need some BIG pick-me-ups.

I will agree, as with Gears of War where the number of new people registering for Xbox Live doubled, Halo 3 is a system seller. Halo is the face of Xbox and is definitely their flagship game. This is a make or break.

Oh, and Gamespot gave it a 9.5, so I guess thus far it's promising.

"To do a 'Kabob' you have to be both a tease, and a cockblocker. So the person you 'Kabob' gets his/her hopes up only to end up being severely disappointed." -jammybastard

Xbox Live GT - I Kabob I
post #17 of 146 Old 09-24-2007, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

I agree that sony has dropped the ball bigtime on this console, will they survive? problly, why? because they have alot of money and alot of loyal fans. For me they just dont have enough good games and the console itself is way too expensive.

With the Birage of games the 360 has produced sine june of this year, and will continue through christmas I think its safe to say the 360 will rule 2007

xbox live GT: xXmaximus prime
PSN: maximus_rr
I have to go, I have a meeting with the bobs, uhhh I wasnt aware of any meeting......yeah they called me at home
post #18 of 146 Old 09-24-2007, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSKILZ View Post

Wii is cute, but after a while the cuteness wears off.

I'll agree with that. I bought a Wii at launch and sold it about 4 days later. The motion sensing is a novelty in my opinion. Bought a 360 shortly after and have been MUCH more impressed. It's a much better package for me.

The Wii definiately has a place in the market for the "casual" gamer, but for anyone above that level the 360 is going to offer alot more.

"To do a 'Kabob' you have to be both a tease, and a cockblocker. So the person you 'Kabob' gets his/her hopes up only to end up being severely disappointed." -jammybastard

Xbox Live GT - I Kabob I
post #19 of 146 Old 09-24-2007, 11:40 AM

I've never thought any systems were in trouble. Heck last gen the PS2 was completely dominating the competition in sales yet there were plenty of reasons to own the other two systems. Granted the Wii is completely dominating this gen but the PS3 and 360 are my favorite systems so far (Wii got my parents to play games again though and its the womans favorite though she'll play the others as well for Bejewelled, Zuma, Sudoki, Motorstorm, etc). Bottom line is by not having one of them you are missing out on some great software.

edit: as far as Warhawk and stat glitches it never has effected the fun I have during gameplay, which is fantastic. It does seem to be sorted out as far as I can tell. Heck, I don't even remember if Halo:CE had stats online but I had a blast playing it through xbox-connect with friends. I'm just not somebody who needs stats to have fun though I'm sure there are people like that out there based on the boosting that occurs in some games.

Motostorm is still the top online racer this gen IMO. I'm excited that #2 is in works. Haven't played Lair but the reviews have been all over the place, I may rent it one day. I didn't really like the Heavensly demo that much either but will probably rent it one day.

I don't see any title on either system coming out after Halo 3 being hyped and marketed even remotely as much, but we'll see.
post #20 of 146 Old 09-24-2007, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

The wii sells so well cause its cheap. The 360 will be out sold by the PS3 in 6 month..
IMO

My mom works for Sony, and she brought home a copy of "Starhawk BETA"
I quickly slipped it into my trusty PS3, and started playing.

GOOZEX Game/Movie Exchange
post #21 of 146 Old 09-24-2007, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Outsold based on what? gut feeling? The 360 will always be cheaper...
post #22 of 146 Old 09-24-2007, 11:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dralt View Post

Halo 3 was coming, is coming, is here.

As most interesting destinations, the journey 99% of the fun.

What comes next? Halo 3 may be great, but it's only 1 game and for many the hype ends tomorrow.

I am not so sure about that.. There is a lot of people I work with that will not be allowing their kids to buy a 360 and/or Halo3 until Christmas. Out of the 35 people in my group, only 2 of us have 360's and none has a PS3...

XBL/PSN: wirechild
post #23 of 146 Old 09-24-2007, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy_winds View Post

The wii sells so well cause its cheap. The 360 will be out sold by the PS3 in 6 month..
IMO

LOLOLOL.... funny stuff. with the pricing factor, i doubt this will ever happen.

2011 SUPERBOWL CHAMPIONS- New York Giants!!!

Gamertag: GENERAL CUPKAKE
post #24 of 146 Old 09-24-2007, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:

IMO

This was stated 6 months ago. Basically this has been stated since 2005 before it was released. Anything else in the crystal ball you can show us. What about the 10 year cycle how is that coming along? Is 3DO making a comback? Will we see Earhworm Jim next-gen?

Thanks

The 5.0 is here
post #25 of 146 Old 09-24-2007, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
The world is big enough for all three unique consoles and I see them hanging around for quite some time.

post #26 of 146 Old 09-24-2007, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:

IMO

What's going to happen in 6 months? Sony doesn't have an answer to the 360's superior game library and online service offerings for this holiday season. 6 months from now puts you in the early Spring where people will just start to wake up to all those holiday credit card bills.

Borat says, "The PS3 will outsell the 360 in 6 months.... NOT!!"
post #27 of 146 Old 09-24-2007, 12:26 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by kabob983 View Post

Metal Gear Solid 4 will probably generate this much hype when the time comes but it might be too late since the "average" gamer who will only have one console will have already spent their $$ on a 360.

I have no idea about MGS4 creating as much hype as H3, but the second part of this statement makes sense to me.

GT: General Bourbon

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #28 of 146 Old 09-24-2007, 12:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

IMO

I'm thinking this as well. I still know many members of the PS cult that would not even consider a 360. They're just waiting for the PS3 to come down in price, regardless of the software, present or future. The floodgates will open.

Halo 3 will move more 360s, but probably the majority will be sold to owners of the original Xbox. I may be wrong, but it will make few converts.

I'm an unhappy owner of both consoles. I love my 360, but the lack of quality titles on my PS3 just pisses me off.

XBOX Live / PSN: Choocheroo
post #29 of 146 Old 09-24-2007, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPresseau View Post

Halo 3 will move more 360s.

Actually, I have doubts about this.
I think anyone who has bought into the Halo 3 hype has also bought a 360 in anticipation of its release.
Hence, I expect a sales spike for August and September, but not so much after that.
post #30 of 146 Old 09-24-2007, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dralt View Post

Actually, I have doubts about this.
I think anyone who has bought into the Halo 3 hype has also bought a 360 in anticipation of its release.
Hence, I expect a sales spike for August and September, but not so much after that.

You expect a sales spike on 360's, but you don't believe that Halo will create any 360 sales? What difference does it make if the sale comes before or after release of the game? It's still a sale that wouldn't have been made if Halo 3 hadn't released, right?

Gamertag: crud monkey
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page