The Official Rock Band Discussion Thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 12426 Old 11-28-2007, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 32
What is the current supply like on Rock Band at the local retailers? For instance can you still walk into Best Buy or CC and buy it? Have stores that sold out gotten a second wave? I wanted to pick this up at Sams but they were sold out a day after release day - any chance they've replenished?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 12426 Old 11-28-2007, 09:22 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson10 View Post

so has anyone read anything of people getting drums replaced that respond to every hit (IE a drum roll)? Just wondering what I should do with mine. They work fine but IF i ever get to hard or better then I may need to play that fast on the snare (red)

So my wife and I applied the felt pads to our kit tonight. I noticed some problems with the red pad picking up rolls and I tested it prior to applying the pads. Doing a double-stroke roll on the red pad, a lot of hits would not register. After applying the felt pads it seems much better. My double-stroke rolls suck so I'm not sure if it's picking up all of them but it seems like it.

As for noise, the felt pads don't help much with keeping the sound from carrying through the house. However up close I think it makes a big difference because it takes the clicky-clacky edge of the hits and I think give a better playing feel. Plus I think it looks nice. Definitely glad I did it.
post #273 of 12426 Old 11-29-2007, 05:55 AM
AVS Special Member

I picked up my arts and crafts supplies last night to do this mod...but what is the point of the felt, anyway? I was thinking about just doing the foam (since I could find that in colors; I had to go w/black felt).
post #274 of 12426 Old 11-29-2007, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottro View Post

I picked up my arts and crafts supplies last night to do this mod...but what is the point of the felt, anyway? I was thinking about just doing the foam (since I could find that in colors; I had to go w/black felt).

If I had to do it over again, I think I would go with black felt and maybe some sort of indicator for colors, like colored tape or something on the rim. The big bright round colors kinda look a little Fischer-Price.

I'm not sure what difference the felt makes. I guess it adds to the thickness and gives a different surface for hitting, plus cutting the foam is very messy and the felt adds a much better looking surface on top.

Did you go with the circle cutter they recommended? One warning about that... it's designed to cut paper, not foam rubber or felt. So the blade on that thing didn't cut all the way through on mine and I'm not sure how they got it to cut through. I used the circle cutter to cut as far as I could, then used the groove it created as a guild for an x-acto knife - worked like a charm.

Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #275 of 12426 Old 11-29-2007, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

They were out of circle cutters at JoAnn Fabrics so I haven't really decided how to cut the materials yet. I figure I've gotta have something down in the shop I can use as a template and just cut with a utility knife.

Good point about the primary colors on the pads.

I made sure to get some extra supplies so maybe I'll give it a try with and without the felt tonight.

I'm gonna have $300 invested in Rock Band before I even get through the solo drum tour on medium, LOL...
post #276 of 12426 Old 11-29-2007, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

I filled out the RMA request on their website Tuesday morning at 12:30am. My new guitar is on the UPS truck right now for delivery. I'll post impressions of the replacement tonight after I try it out. From what folks were saying, I was thinking it would be another week or two before I saw this thing.
post #277 of 12426 Old 11-29-2007, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdank View Post

I filled out the RMA request on their website Tuesday morning at 12:30am. My new guitar is on the UPS truck right now for delivery. I'll post impressions of the replacement tonight after I try it out. From what folks were saying, I was thinking it would be another week or two before I saw this thing.

that completely sucks because i had my RMA request filled out the FIRST DAY it was available and i stilll only shows "billing information received" when i track mine.
post #278 of 12426 Old 11-29-2007, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatnikdaddio View Post

that completely sucks because i had my RMA request filled out the FIRST DAY it was available and i stilll only shows "billing information received" when i track mine.

That does suck. I saw a report yesterday that they had started sending replacements out. Hopefully yours goes soon.
post #279 of 12426 Old 11-29-2007, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

One warning about that... it's designed to cut paper, not foam rubber or felt. So the blade on that thing didn't cut all the way through on mine and I'm not sure how they got it to cut through. I used the circle cutter to cut as far as I could, then used the groove it created as a guild for an x-acto knife - worked like a charm.

Even with a dull blade my wife was able to get it to cut through both the felt and the foam. So if you have a scrapbooker in your life ask 'em for help ;-)
post #280 of 12426 Old 11-29-2007, 06:59 AM

Quote:

That does suck. I saw a report yesterday that they had started sending replacements out. Hopefully yours goes soon.

thanks.... me too. at least i have my GH3 guitars to get me through until it shows. the only issue is, i REALLY loved the 'effect switch' and solo buttons on the RB guitars and i miss those features.

here's hoping the new ones hold up to RAWKIN'!
post #281 of 12426 Old 11-29-2007, 08:23 AM

I ended up using generic mouse pads from Office Depot. They had green and blue, then I bought two grey ones and when cutting them out, I cut an extra notch on the top to display the color.

The sound dampening is awesome and the bounce back is actually better than stock. I'm quite happy with that solution.
post #282 of 12426 Old 11-29-2007, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

I'm on that same boat...I'm getting very tempted to order a second replacement as I'm starting to wonder if I will ever see the first one...
post #283 of 12426 Old 11-29-2007, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah, I ordered mine on Tuesday and its on the truck for delivery today.

PSN & Xbox 360 Gamertag: dboss007
post #284 of 12426 Old 11-29-2007, 09:00 AM
Advanced Member

I'm having a calibration issue with RB.

I have an LCD projector - 50ft component run through multi switch.
DD, optical out to receiver.
50ft speaker run to fronts.

Video calibration using the strum method puts me in a random range between -20 to -60ms. I can never get the same number each time I try it.

Audio calibration using the audio cue puts me around -5ms. This has to be perhaps the hardest and stupidest calibration method.

I have a feeling the long AV cable runs are causing the problem yet I can never get the two to optimally jive. Have tried all the automatic configurations but they're all off somewhat.

If anyone has a similar setup please let me know as this is driving me crazy!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #285 of 12426 Old 11-29-2007, 09:14 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

I hear ya, I filled out an RMA request on the 20th. I never received a tracking # etc. I submitted a question about the status on Tuesday and received this reply yesterday afternoon.

Hello Robert!

Thank you for contacting Electronic Arts Technical Support. I do apologize for the inconvenience you're having with Rock Band.

I am very sorry you did not receive the email confirming your replacement information. From checking your RMA number, I was able to get the tracking number for the shipment to you. It is xx xxx xxx xx xxxx xxx x. There is also a tracking number available for you to use to track the package you send back to us. That tracking number is xx xxx xxx xx xxxx xxx x.

It does appear there has been a slight delay in shipping due in part to the holidays. We are making every effort to get replacement items shipped out quickly, and yours should be on its way soon. Please continue to check the UPS wed site (www.ups.com) for updates to the shipping status.

Again, I apologize for the inconvenience. Please let us know if we can be of service in the future.

Thank you!

Camille T.
Customer Support
Electronic Arts

Funny thing is, you go to the UPS website and put the number in, nothing comes up. Calling UPS I'm told that the billing information was submitted on the 20th but no actual package with that # has ever been picked up.

I'm wondering if the people that are receiving replacements already are the ones that were willing to offer up their CC#'s for a temporary charge on their replacements. If that is the case then I'm very disappointed.
post #286 of 12426 Old 11-29-2007, 09:21 AM
MBK

My drums had a dead yellow pad on arrival. I submitted an RMA with my credit card on Saturday. My tracking number still just shows the "billing information received" with no details. I'm pissed, I spend $170 on this game and it came with broken equipment that they can't seem to replace in a reasonable manner.

Gamertag (XBL): Boxer Rebel
post #287 of 12426 Old 11-29-2007, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBK View Post

My drums had a dead yellow pad on arrival. I submitted an RMA with my credit card on Saturday. My tracking number still just shows the "billing information received" with no details. I'm pissed, I spend $170 on this game and it came with broken equipment that they can't seem to replace in a reasonable manner.

That really does suck. They should be handling this stuff in a far more expedited manner.

post #288 of 12426 Old 11-29-2007, 09:36 AM

is it worth getting a proper drum throne when playing the drums? Can anyone who plays the game sitting on a throne comment on if it improves posture and makes you a better player? I definitely want this game to be a transitition to a playing a real drum set one day.
post #289 of 12426 Old 11-29-2007, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by alougher View Post

I'm having a calibration issue with RB.

I have an LCD projector - 50ft component run through multi switch.
DD, optical out to receiver.
50ft speaker run to fronts.

Video calibration using the strum method puts me in a random range between -20 to -60ms. I can never get the same number each time I try it.

Audio calibration using the audio cue puts me around -5ms. This has to be perhaps the hardest and stupidest calibration method.

I have a feeling the long AV cable runs are causing the problem yet I can never get the two to optimally jive. Have tried all the automatic configurations but they're all off somewhat.

If anyone has a similar setup please let me know as this is driving me crazy!

I do not have a similar setup but I am having pretty much the same problems. Never the same calibration results...and the variance is quite large..ive had results ranging from -80ms to +75ms....even had 2 readings in a row..one was -25 the other +40.

Except for my rear speaker runs..I do not have any cable or interconnect that is over 10ft long in my system

Vizio 47" LCD
H/K 247 AVR

The 360 is hooked up to the Vizio using VGA @ 1920x1080 and optical to the receiver.

It really is starting to get annoying because things will seem ok then all the sudden everything is way off....I go back recalibrate...accept the results although they make no sense and things are ok....until it gets messed up again.

Their calibration stuff is crap. The calibration for Guitar Hero worked great..only had to do it once, the results made sense and it worked.

What is disturbing is that it seems "lose calibration" often...that really does not make sense. This should only have to be done once...and the results of doing 2-3 times in a row should give similar results not crazy variances.
post #290 of 12426 Old 11-29-2007, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyboy42 View Post

is it worth getting a proper drum throne when playing the drums? Can anyone who plays the game sitting on a throne comment on if it improves posture and makes you a better player? I definitely want this game to be a transitition to a playing a real drum set one day.

The biggest advantage to the throne is being able to sit higher with your leg parallel or higher to the ground. This makes extended kick pedal work much easier. If you have a chair that lets you sit that high (I'm currently using a folding chair and two pillows) then you're not going to see that much difference IMO. OTOH, thrones can be had for fairly cheap (<$30) and if you're going to look into purchasing a kit in the future it can be used for that as well.
post #291 of 12426 Old 11-29-2007, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by rclifton View Post

I'm wondering if the people that are receiving replacements already are the ones that were willing to offer up their CC#'s for a temporary charge on their replacements. If that is the case then I'm very disappointed.

Sorry but that's not it...I gave them a CC# and have been waiting since 11/21...
post #292 of 12426 Old 11-29-2007, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottro View Post

...but what is the point of the felt, anyway?

I think it is so you can tell which drum is which color after you cover up the whole drum head with the foam.
post #293 of 12426 Old 11-29-2007, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougPr View Post

I ended up using generic mouse pads from Office Depot. They had green and blue, then I bought two grey ones and when cutting them out, I cut an extra notch on the top to display the color.

The sound dampening is awesome and the bounce back is actually better than stock. I'm quite happy with that solution.

How are you fastening them to the drums? I hacked up some generic black mouse pads from Fry's and I *REALLY* like the look of it with black, except for the ugly duct tape I used to hold them down.

I'm going to look for some thin double-sided foam that won't ruin the drums so I can fasten the mouse pads to the drums. Maybe some 3m 77 spray adhesive instead would work since it isn't super sticky like mounting tape is. I want to be able to pull the pads off in case I need to RMA the kit or if I need to replace the pads since I have no idea how well a mouse pad will hold up to beating with wooden sticks over time.

I really like the black drum head look, so I'm either going to cut the circles small enough for the drum head color ring to show, or else I might try cutting half or quarter inch thick circles from the self-stick felt to make my own colored rings aroudn the outside of the mouse pads.

If anybody has any ideas on sticking the mouse pads to the drums non-permanently, I'm all ears.
post #294 of 12426 Old 11-29-2007, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 32
How much are you penalized for missing the notes that are to be played with the foot pedal? My kids are looking forward to playing this, but I know its going to be very difficult for them to get the hang of the pedal - both mentally as well as physically (fatiguing).

So I was wondering how they will do if they just focus on the 4 main drums and don't attempt the pedal. It would be cool if they added features or at least cheat codes to these games like "automatic pedal" to help the little ones. They could always nullify the score when used to keep people from using it as a cheat in the rankings...
post #295 of 12426 Old 11-29-2007, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

I really wish they made the easy mode of drums not use the kick pedal. It'd be better for situations like that...

Steam/XBL/PSN: thejokell
post #296 of 12426 Old 11-29-2007, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_in_SoCal View Post

I think it is so you can tell which drum is which color after you cover up the whole drum head with the foam.

OK, I thought I was missing something about the mechanics of it...didn't seem like the felt would be doing much of anything.

My foam came from the kids' section with a wide assortment of colors, so I'm good there if I want to go w/ the Fisher Price look as DaverJ mentioned.
post #297 of 12426 Old 11-29-2007, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Part of the issue is that UPS is being real slow to update their tracking information and another part is that it's the holidays. I ordered a replacement a few days ago and it's supposed to arrive tomorrow. Guess we'll see.
post #298 of 12426 Old 11-29-2007, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Got replacement guitar. Unpacked it but haven't hooked it up yet. Strum bar still seems a bit off, but I'll hold off judgement till I try it with some music. Didn't have time over lunch to fire up the game.

You get the same box you got in your bundle inside a slightly bigger box (because of the head attachment). You're supposed to wrap your defective guitar in bubble wrap, place in box, and then position it in the bigger box with 4 foam squares anchoring it inside. Packing slip is simply flipped over to show their address. Drop off with UPS.
post #299 of 12426 Old 11-29-2007, 11:36 AM

I'm still waiting for the game to be released in Canada

I'm a big GH3 addict, and a drummer in real life, and I can't wait to see how the drums stack up.
post #300 of 12426 Old 11-29-2007, 12:33 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post

How much are you penalized for missing the notes that are to be played with the foot pedal? My kids are looking forward to playing this, but I know its going to be very difficult for them to get the hang of the pedal - both mentally as well as physically (fatiguing).

So I was wondering how they will do if they just focus on the 4 main drums and don't attempt the pedal. It would be cool if they added features or at least cheat codes to these games like "automatic pedal" to help the little ones. They could always nullify the score when used to keep people from using it as a cheat in the rankings...

My 4 year old is the drummer in our band hehe, So I know what you mean by tiring. She has to use BOTH feet!

Anyway, You get the most credit for being accurate with the Red pad + Pedal. If you miss several of the pedal notes without attempting to play them at all a little foot-pedal icon will even appear on the screen. I would have them concentrate on the pedal and the red pad to start, and work the others in as they become more comfortable. I kinda wish they would have left the pedal out of the "Easy" level entirely, and worked it in slowly starting with "Medium".
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page