post #361 of 12426 Old 12-02-2007, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 651
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad473 View Post

the solo on gght on medium drums is killing me. failing at 62% almost every time.

Yea, the continuous guitar solo ending! RockBand fans everywhere curse the dude who wrote this "poor-man's Freebird".

I have found if you are just wanting to pass any song and aren't that worried about hitting everything, concentrate on kick (orange) and snare (red). That should at least keep your meter level. Then, if that's boring, add in the high-hat (usually yellow) or ride (blue or green)... but if you feel the rhythm failing, go back to the kick and snare 'till you get back in the groove.

This, of course, blows any 5 star hopes or even a high percentage at the end. Plus it's not recommended if you are trying to get good. But it should get you to the end of most songs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 12426 Old 12-02-2007, 08:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
serioulsy what is the best way to position your foot on the bass pedal? My calf and foot gets tired so easily. What far should i be seated from the pedal? how long should my leg be extended? Can anyone who has figured out the correct posture for drumming please provide some instructions? Thank you.
post #363 of 12426 Old 12-02-2007, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyboy42 View Post

serioulsy what is the best way to position your foot on the bass pedal? My calf and foot gets tired so easily. What far should i be seated from the pedal? how long should my leg be extended? Can anyone who has figured out the correct posture for drumming please provide some instructions? Thank you.

Did you watch the tutorials?
post #364 of 12426 Old 12-02-2007, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyboy42 View Post

Try moving your foot forward and back on the pedal til you find a good spot. The further the ball of your foot towards the end of the pedal, the less resistance there is. You don't want no resistance there, but moving your foot towards the end of the pedal may help with fatigue issues. Also as the tutorial and hints say, keep it depressed at all times and just lift and drop the foot for each note.

I had a friend come over and play and I had to laugh cause he just kept his foot hovering an inch above the pedal the whole time. He was playin on easy so it would go for a while with no bass, but his foot was still there. then he was doing something like B-O-B-O and then it changed to G-O-G-O and he shifted his whole body (including his foot) to hit the green and then completely missed the bass pedal, lol.

Xbox: SchwedyBalz

Go Jackets!
Go Bolts!
post #365 of 12426 Old 12-02-2007, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

This might be a dumb question, but would any drummers comment on bare-footed vs. shoed please?
post #366 of 12426 Old 12-03-2007, 12:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

This might be a dumb question, but would any drummers comment on bare-footed vs. shoed please?

Not a drummer, but I've been going bare foot on this game. Every drummer I've worked with has worn shoes, though. But they also have much sturdier kick pedals.

Steam/XBL/PSN: thejokell
post #367 of 12426 Old 12-03-2007, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Dave, we're not getting any younger, I think we should stick to shoes or risk a mean bout of plantar fasciitis...
post #368 of 12426 Old 12-03-2007, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by brhendricks View Post

Is anyone concerned about burn in from this game? I timed myself playing for an hour and I could see the stars and score stuck in the screen. I noticed it was still there a day later so I ran the screen cleaner and it fixed it, but I thought that was really strange. I haven't experienced any issues with any of the other games.

Some details about your TV would be helpful. I have a Pioneer Elite Plasma that's going on 3 years-old now, and I've played a LOT of Guitar Hero II and now Rock Band on it, with no image retention or burn-in. Is your TV very new or fairly old? How long do you normally find yourself playing it? We played Rock Band the last three nights, on Friday for over a five hour stretch, with no image retention.
post #369 of 12426 Old 12-03-2007, 07:11 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Last week I tried to demo this game at Best Buy but the controller was messed up. Finally got to try it yesterday on drums... man oh man do I want this game now...

*drool*

I was highly skeptical before, but it feels great (even though I have never played drums in my life). I can't wait to get it and try singing (I suck at that too, but hey)
post #370 of 12426 Old 12-03-2007, 07:32 AM

Quote:

Have been playing for over 30 years, most of that time barefoot.
As of late, on the "real" drums I switched back to sneakers due to type of pedal and desire to play a little "harder". Always a constant topic for debate amongst drummers.

For the game I DID try barefoot and at first enjoyed the more tactile response of the pedal against the foot, much like a real pedal. But even in a cool finished basement after a few songs, the foot started to sweat a bit against the plastic. That may cause an issue for someone without a built up callus on the foot -wetness and the grooves of the plastic. Could start to hurt the foot. So I tend to stick with sneakers even for the game.

But as the debate usually goes - just try barefoot and see if you like. Totally personal and neither one is correct and the other wrong. Much like traditional grip versus matched grip debate.

Gamertag: Sage Treebeard

PSN: TiberDrum
post #371 of 12426 Old 12-03-2007, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

barefoot and socks for me. I've haven't used shoes yet.
post #372 of 12426 Old 12-03-2007, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyM View Post

I just got an email from EA support apologizing to me for the delay in sending my replacement guitar and offering me a free game.

you guys are lucky..... i've had an RMA out since the first day and the tracking number they gave me STILL ONLY shows "billing information received".

no replacement guitar.
no free game offer.
no sorry.
no nothing but a hard time.

EA is totally sucking in their handling of this. customer service has been less than helpful too.... they told me that i now have to pursue this matter now with UPS, who reports that THEY HAVE NEVER RECEIVED THE GUITAR FROM EA to even ship to me.

i dont know what else to do.
post #373 of 12426 Old 12-03-2007, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtiebird View Post

Last week I tried to demo this game at Best Buy but the controller was messed up. Finally got to try it yesterday on drums... man oh man do I want this game now...

*drool*

I was highly skeptical before, but it feels great (even though I have never played drums in my life). I can't wait to get it and try singing (I suck at that too, but hey)

The demo at Bestbuy IS what sold Rockband for me. If it had not been for trying out the demo at BB, I don't think I would have gotten RB. I'd try it out every Thursday on pay day for the last 4 weeks before its release so I had built up some anticipation for it Awesome Game!!!

Gamertag: BaneAssassin
PSN: BaneAssassin
post #374 of 12426 Old 12-03-2007, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm glad barefoot question wasn't as dumb as it felt... thanks for the replies.

I tried both ways and found each one to be a different experience... I think I like with shoes better, but at home I'm often not wearing them. I just wanted to hear if someone with drumming experience might say "NEVER play drums with barefeet!". Since that isn't the case, I'll still play both ways.
post #375 of 12426 Old 12-03-2007, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I feel like I play much better and have a more stable and secure strike on the pedal with sneakers/shoes. Just my personal preference though.

post #376 of 12426 Old 12-03-2007, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Forgot to mention: my one friend and I both received our replacement guitars on Friday. The down-strum on my new guitar seems to react less in the menus, but in the actual game it seems to work fine. I think. Now I just have to send the old one back.
post #377 of 12426 Old 12-03-2007, 09:42 AM

Managed to Beat the Solo Drum career on Hard last night. What a blast. This has to be Game of the Year.

The Iron Maiden song proved to be the toughest. I beat it, but what I was playing most of the time sure wasn't musical. The rest of them were total awesomesauce.
post #378 of 12426 Old 12-03-2007, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydogg View Post

Managed to Beat the Solo Drum career on Hard last night.

Congrats skydogg... you going to try for Expert now?
post #379 of 12426 Old 12-03-2007, 09:50 AM

Quote:

Congrats skydogg... you going to try for Expert now?

Yeah. I played through the first set on Expert. Passed them all, but it's a nice step up in difficulty. I imagine the kick drum stuff is gonna get pretty crazy.
post #380 of 12426 Old 12-03-2007, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I'm having such a hard time playing various/multiple strikes with the bass pedal ANNDD FORGET about double tapping on beat and off beat....*sigh*.....I should pick up my Saxophone again and take up some classes. lol

post #381 of 12426 Old 12-03-2007, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
For those who have not passed Green Grass, High Tides my suggestion would be when the **** hits the fan, make sure you are set with "Overdrive", but DON'T USE IT! I failed that damn song on Medium several times (only song I failed in the Medium tour) and quickly figured out during the endless pounding towards the end it was better to hold the Overdrive power and not hit the green at the end of a fill. The fills keep coming during that and lessen the beating of the notes. Sure, you won't get as many points, but you will pass the song.

Since day one I have been having fun with this game. I've really only done the solo work on guitar and drums (tried singing, but uh yeah I suck!) and did Tug of War, online quick band play and Score Duels, but yesterday I hit the crown jewel of this game. I had some friends over and we fired up a new band in the World Tour. Oh my how awesome is that mode! I know I'm late to the game with this, but man that alone is worth the price of admission. I just wish I could do this mode online with my friends, but either way I'm good. I love how you just never know what their setlist will bring until you play it, and love how they integrate the downloaded content into the lists. No longer is the same set list here (like Guitar Hero) and no longer is just finding your songs buried in the download list like GHIII. This is some truely great stuff here.

My point of no return was yesterday in the World Tour. I was so trained from GH that the early songs are easy in "Career Mode". My 3rd time in on World Tour offered me a setlist where it pulled in Ride the Lightning and made the mistake of going Hard (couldn't see what we were playing prior) on it (thinking it was going to be another Paranoid, In Bloom, etc.). Ouch!!!! We made 4 stars on it, but lost the cash since we figured we could 5 star it. Man this game is fantastic!
post #382 of 12426 Old 12-03-2007, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydogg View Post

Yeah. I played through the first set on Expert. Passed them all, but it's a nice step up in difficulty. I imagine the kick drum stuff is gonna get pretty crazy.

Metallica's Blackened on Expert looks like they threw a big bag of Skittles at the screen and said, "Play".

Nicely done on Hard! I'm making my way through it now.
post #383 of 12426 Old 12-03-2007, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
It's been pretty fun so far, but I took it over to play with some family members yesterday (1st time more than 2 players), only to find out that my USB hub is DOA. Anybody else dealing with this? How has EA been about fixing/replacing them?

Also, my strum bar on the RB guitar is VERY stiff. I've been mainly using my GH2 guitar, but I might trade the RB one in and invest in another GH2 one if the RB one keeps this up.

Ignorance can be cured, stupidity is forever.
Choosing sides is so...last gen.
360/PS3/Wii/HD DVD/Blu-Ray/Plasma/PJ - Too much money
Not having to choose - Priceless
post #384 of 12426 Old 12-03-2007, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
I really want to advance my solo career in this game, but someone always seems to be home so we play BWT mode all the time.

A nice problem to have.

I did the "mousepad mod" to my drum kit. I'll post some pictures later. I really like the way it turned out with black drum centers instead of the stock light grey. I looked at the peel-n-stick foam at Michael's, and I don't think there's anyway in heck that stuff can be very quiet. The neoprene mousepad gives good bounce and is pretty dang quiet, although I can still hear the drums starting to get cloppity on some of the songs.

I found a cheap "Compass Cutter" for $6.99 that has a little X-acto looking blade as oppsed to a "rotary cutter", and it worked pretty well. I had to cut a little notch in the end to make the circle big enough, but it was pretty easy to do and worked well. I cut the mousepads (cheapest neoprene-ey ones from WalMart) to the size of the grey part of the kit so that the original color rings still show around them.
post #385 of 12426 Old 12-03-2007, 05:52 PM

So I blow through everything in the GG&HT tier with 5 stars, then try GG&HT for the first time. And then the second. And then the third. And by this point I was ready to throw my sticks through the wall. I got up to 85% on the third try just by concentrating on the yellow and kick, but when I tried adding the snare in to stop my meter from (ever so slowly) falling the whole thing would collapse. Instead of repeatedly beating my head against the wall for the rest of the night I just quit and will try again tomorrow...and for a very long time to come, I fear.

PSN: Thrillho
XBL: Herald of Woe
post #386 of 12426 Old 12-03-2007, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiko13 View Post

So I blow through everything in the GG&HT tier with 5 stars, then try GG&HT for the first time. And then the second. And then the third. And by this point I was ready to throw my sticks through the wall. I got up to 85% on the third try just by concentrating on the yellow and kick, but when I tried adding the snare in to stop my meter from (ever so slowly) falling the whole thing would collapse. Instead of repeatedly beating my head against the wall for the rest of the night I just quit and will try again tomorrow...and for a very long time to come, I fear.

What difficulty are you at?

Here's some encouragement from the GG&HT support group:
You can do it! Don't let those one-hit country rock Outlaws beat you! I'll bet you can ace that song right now if you give it a try.

You might want to try only the kick and snare for the ending instead of kick and high-hat. Also, don't forget Chris Rein's suggestion of not using your Overdrive (i.e. don't hit the green crash at the end of the freeform sections) to give you "safe sections" during the never-ending solos.

GOOD LUCK!!!
post #387 of 12426 Old 12-03-2007, 07:41 PM

Quote:

What difficulty are you at?

Here's some encouragement from the GG&HT support group:
You can do it! Don't let those one-hit country rock Outlaws beat you! I'll bet you can ace that song right now if you give it a try.

You might want to try only the kick and snare for the ending instead of kick and high-hat. Also, don't forget Chris Rein's suggestion of not using your Overdrive (i.e. don't hit the green crash at the end of the freeform sections) to give you "safe sections" during the never-ending solos.

GOOD LUCK!!!

lol...thanks man. I'm on medium, which makes it especially frustrating--I can play more than a few songs on hard now. I went through and downloaded the Metallica pack after my last go 'round and got 96% on my first shot on Justice, but there's just something about that solo on GG&HT that kills me. I had saved my overdrive but wound up having to use it each time because my meter was slowly but steadily falling...and even still it only delayed the inevitable.

But you've talked me into it! Off I go...

EDIT: Nope, just not happening tonight. I found that doing the RY-O-RY-O pattern actually helps keep my meter full but invariably there's one long section where the beat falls apart. My timing fails and I wind up going RYO at the same time and can't recover.

PSN: Thrillho
XBL: Herald of Woe
post #388 of 12426 Old 12-04-2007, 12:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
I did the 2 day shipping thing for a replacement guitar last thursday nite and I still havent recieved it yet. WTF. Whats everyone elses turn around for the replacements?
post #389 of 12426 Old 12-04-2007, 12:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 88
If you ordered it Thursday night the earliest you would receive it would be tomorrow. 2 days is business days and it probably wouldn't ship until Friday. If you get it tomorrow that's pretty speedy.

It took me 12 days, although it took 8 to ship because they screwed up their queue over the holiday and unfortunately when it did ship it shipped on a Thursday so I had to wait over the weekend to get it today.

XBox: King Nuthin
post #390 of 12426 Old 12-04-2007, 06:32 AM

But you've talked me into it! Off I go...

EDIT: Nope, just not happening tonight. I found that doing the RY-O-RY-O pattern actually helps keep my meter full but invariably there's one long section where the beat falls apart. My timing fails and I wind up going RYO at the same time and can't recover.

I really have to commend you guys for "sticking" with it. I am sure I will bow down to the game once I start playing with the guitar. But as a drummer I felt I had a fair shot of doing well in this game based on how they implemented it. As a drummer the part in GG&HT that everyone keeps referring to is basically no problem for me. I am NOT trying to be smug here...or "ha, ha, I can do it"-ish, just because I am a drummer.

Rather I truly commend non-drummers for plodding along and trying to get through. It is a simple rhythm for a drummer to keep up....it is NOT simple for someone just starting out. Take pride in the fact that when you do get through it, no matter how sloppily, you HAVE actually "played" the drums to this song. The developers were not joking. You certainly will develop drumming skills. You are being asked to do things with your three/four limbs that MOST people cannot do.

Sure it would be a big adjustment to sit down at an actual kit and try work out the ergonomics of playing. But you most certainly are developing a strong starting point.

Gamertag: Sage Treebeard

PSN: TiberDrum
Reply Xbox Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page