Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 12426 Old 12-06-2007, 09:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

If I had to do the Arts/Crafts project over again, I wouldn't have gone with the solid colored felt. The bright Fischer-Price colors on the pads kinda bug me now.

I'm thinking of doing it over again with smaller black felt to look more like Wilson10's pads, as pictured in post #347.

Agreed--I'm actually RMA'ing my current set after deciding that my red pad isn't picking up all my hits with or without the foam, and will be redoing it with solid black at that point. Although the Beatdown pads look sweet, I've already got the materials to re-do the mod myself.

PSN: Thrillho
XBL: Herald of Woe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 12426 Old 12-06-2007, 10:26 AM

I love my mod, looks good and most importantly is that is really seems to mute things some. And for some reason it seems like I can concentrate better without the LOUD clackity clack clack clack!

I am still not sure my drums are right though, I can't do a fast roll without doing it somewhat soft on any of the pads. Doesn't affect me too much right now though on medium. We will see I guess, just waiting to hear if others are getting better sets

Live: Nozzleman 216
PSN: Nozzleman_216
Fire Fighter IAFF Local 216 Ohio
Union Proud!
post #453 of 12426 Old 12-06-2007, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Ugh, so I finally got to the dreaded Green Grass & High Tides song everyone has been talking about on drums. I've been cruising through medium with no problem, 5-starring most of the songs, then comes this.

What's worse is that its a horrible song in general, you have to play through 5 minutes of the damn thing just to reach the hard part only to fail. One of the big reasons I like Rock Band (over Guitar Hero) is that there is actually newer music and not a bunch of junk my parents rocked out back in the day. Had it been a good song I may actually be motivated to play it multiple times in an attempt to beat it.

I don't understand why this isn't the last song in the solo tour (for drums at least). I went back and quick played the songs appearing after this and nothing comes close to being as difficult.
post #454 of 12426 Old 12-06-2007, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

I'm thinking of doing it over again with smaller black felt to look more like Wilson10's pads, as pictured in post #347.

If you re-do it, could you cut up one mouse pad and tape it on one head for a good A/B comparison of whether the foam or the mouse pad is the best sound dampener?
post #455 of 12426 Old 12-06-2007, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Guitar Pick Update: I received a replacement guitar yesterday. My original guitar has a really squishy strum bar and stops picking up down-strums after a couple of hours of use. I tried using a guitar pick on this guitar and really liked it as it was quiet and felt right and worked really well.

I hooked up the replacement guitar and the strum bar is more solid feeling. It recenters quickly and seems to work "right". BUT.....with the guitar pick it goes "clackity clack" while strumming. Dang it, and I was liking using the guitar pick.

The shape of the strum bars on both the Strat and the GH2 controllers is such that you can hold the thin edge like you would hold a guitar pick, so I'm back to that style.
post #456 of 12426 Old 12-06-2007, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastahkaz View Post

Ugh, so I finally got to the dreaded Green Grass & High Tides song everyone has been talking about on drums. I've been cruising through medium with no problem, 5-starring most of the songs, then comes this.

What's worse is that its a horrible song in general, you have to play through 5 minutes of the damn thing just to reach the hard part only to fail. One of the big reasons I like Rock Band (over Guitar Hero) is that there is actually newer music and not a bunch of junk my parents rocked out back in the day. Had it been a good song I may actually be motivated to play it multiple times in an attempt to beat it.

I don't understand why this isn't the last song in the solo tour (for drums at least). I went back and quick played the songs appearing after this and nothing comes close to being as difficult.

Newer music != good music. Some of the best songs on all of the games so far (both Guitar Hero and Rock Band) are the "classic" songs.

Steam/XBL/PSN: thejokell
post #457 of 12426 Old 12-06-2007, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

GGaHT is only the hardest song on the setlist on medium. For hard and expert the song doesn't get a whole lot harder, run to the hills and won't get fooled again do indeed get a lot harder. Once again anything you learn to do in one song will help in another. The 5 minute R-Y, Y-OR is a stock beat for country rock and you'll need to master it for later on harder difficulties. Once you get it it's a breeze and on hard that beat is only slightly different on this song.
I tend to tap my left foot in oppostite of the correct bass drum hit. It tends to help.
post #458 of 12426 Old 12-06-2007, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicalnoise View Post

GGaHT is only the hardest song on the setlist on medium. For hard and expert the song doesn't get a whole lot harder, run to the hills and won't get fooled again do indeed get a lot harder. Once again anything you learn to do in one song will help in another. The 5 minute R-Y, Y-OR is a stock beat for country rock and you'll need to master it for later on harder difficulties. Once you get it it's a breeze and on hard that beat is only slightly different on this song.
I tend to tap my left foot in oppostite of the correct bass drum hit. It tends to help.

I can hit the foot drum (whatever it's called) and the yellow just fine. It's getting the red one in that screws me. I've read people say that you can get by without doing the orange, or only doing orange + yellow, but that's not working for me. Once my timing of the red notes gets off it's game over, even if i try skipping it all together.

I played it once and got to about 65%, played it a second time and go 90%. But just from that I already hate playing it and have no interest in trying again. Like I said, I probably wouldn't mind as much if it wasn't such an annoying song.
post #459 of 12426 Old 12-06-2007, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I can hit the foot drum (whatever it's called) and the yellow just fine. It's getting the red one in that screws me. I've read people say that you can get by without doing the orange, or only doing orange + yellow, but that's not working for me. Once my timing of the red notes gets off it's game over, even if i try skipping it all together.

I played it once and got to about 65%, played it a second time and go 90%. But just from that I already hate playing it and have no interest in trying again. Like I said, I probably wouldn't mind as much if it wasn't such an annoying song.

Meh I think it's a cool song but yeah it's length and repetitiveness on drums does make me avoid it at times. Again it's all nessary for getting better at the game. If you can keep this constant beat then otehr stock beats will be less of a problem. It's like when fighters train in the mountains so they can run better at low oxygen enviroments. and then when they come back down to sealevel and have more oxygen they can perform even better. Take a break and do some bonus songs or DLC. as with nearly every harmonix game taking a break usually helps.
post #460 of 12426 Old 12-06-2007, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

IMHO, GGaHT is a great song, but that's me.

The game itself tells you that the bass pedal and the *RED* drum are the most important, and that if you are getting in trouble and want to leave out some notes to focus on only hitting the bass pedal and the red drum to get your rhythm back and then start adding the adding the other drums as you can. I would imagine that skipping the red drum would be a quick spiral of death.
post #461 of 12426 Old 12-06-2007, 12:26 PM

I followed the advice of an earlier post and largely focused on only the hand beat--RY-Y-RY-Y. I'd throw in enough of the kick to keep my meter from falling and but not so many that I wound up losing the beat and looking like an octopus with all my limbs flailing. I know I need to go back and practice that beat and get it down, but aside from testing rolls on my red pad I needed a break for a couple days. I'm looking forward to getting back into the game tonight.

PSN: Thrillho
XBL: Herald of Woe
post #462 of 12426 Old 12-06-2007, 03:29 PM

I play 3 songs in this game and I get image retention from the stars and the score, I guess I am just not ment to be playing this game. 3 songs would be maybe 20 minutes at the most. Its like clockwork, happening every time and then I have to whitewash the screen for an hour. Its not like this is Mass Effect where you can just play at 20 minute sessions here and there.
post #463 of 12426 Old 12-06-2007, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brhendricks View Post

I play 3 songs in this game and I get image retention from the stars and the score, I guess I am just not ment to be playing this game. 3 songs would be maybe 20 minutes at the most. Its like clockwork, happening every time and then I have to whitewash the screen for an hour. Its not like this is Mass Effect where you can just play at 20 minute sessions here and there.

Youre working too hard to play the game. Are you playing easy?
post #464 of 12426 Old 12-06-2007, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Last night was by far my favorite night so far of rock band. Got TOTALLY into it and went through 90% of Enter Sandman on expert drums (not actually as hard as i thought it would be) BUT the MOST FUN YOU CAN HAVE WITH ROCKBAND....

Playing guitar and singing at the same time. It was freaking AWESOME!!!
post #465 of 12426 Old 12-06-2007, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 565
So... has any non-drummer (meaning someone who didn't play drums before RockBand) passed Vaseline on Hard?

That song has the strangest rhythm. I went into practice mode and I can do ok on the verses, but that chorus is just strange and doesn't connect with me at all! After trying multiple times, the last attempt I failed at 83% and gave up for the night.

I hope Vaseline is to Hard what GG&HT is to Medium.
post #466 of 12426 Old 12-06-2007, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So... has any non-drummer (meaning someone who didn't play drums before RockBand) passed Vaseline on Hard?

That song has the strangest rhythm. I went into practice mode and I can do ok on the verses, but that chorus is just strange and doesn't connect with me at all! After trying multiple times, the last attempt I failed at 83% and gave up for the night.

I hope Vaseline is to Hard what GG&HT is to Medium.

Yes, i've never played drums and got through Vasoline on hard...it is an odd rhythm for sure, but far from the most difficult of songs. I personally think the Metallica Downloads (blackened and ride the lightening especially) are the hardest because of the kick drum work.

If you know the song vasoline, the rhythm sort of gets in your head
post #467 of 12426 Old 12-06-2007, 10:51 PM
AVS Special Member

so I;m now working my way through expert drums and I can't believe I nailed Mississippi queen. anyways minor note. BUt just was psyched ahat I'm still somehopw making prgress in the game.
post #468 of 12426 Old 12-07-2007, 07:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyboy42 View Post

Just bought a set after seeing your post. Thanks. Ill post my experience once i get a chance to play with them. I think having mute drums will greatly enchance the Rock Band experience.

Has anyone purchased and used the beatdown pads as of yet? Would really like to know if my purchase was worthwhile

Same here. Wow, those look really nice. And I spent way more than $25 on the felt/foam mod. Heck the circle cutter at Michael's was $20 by itself. And having to deal with the clutter of that store was something I don't want to experience for a while...lol.

Wokisan
AVS / AGE
post #469 of 12426 Old 12-07-2007, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

I finally beat GGHT last night on medium. So in the end it took me three attempts. I played it one more time last night and came close to 5-starring it.

It seems to me that unlike playing the guitar, consuming a lot of alcohol actually helps me play the drums better. It seems like I can "feel" the beat better.
post #470 of 12426 Old 12-07-2007, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Woot! I 5-starred GGaHT on the first try on Medium! I guess all the BWTing with my son is paying off, even though we haven't played that song on BWT yet.

I was kicking butt through the whole thing and got the Fifth Star Chime long before the end, but then took a short dip into the red at the very end. That would've sucked to 5-star point it and then fail.
post #471 of 12426 Old 12-07-2007, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_in_SoCal View Post

Woot! I 5-starred GGaHT on the first try on Medium! I guess all the BWTing with my son is paying off, even though we haven't played that song on BWT yet.

I was kicking butt through the whole thing and got the Fifth Star Chime long before the end, but then took a short dip into the red at the very end. That would've sucked to 5-star point it and then fail.

Yeah I 4 starred it on my first play through on Medium. I don't really understand the difficulty of the song - it has a single time change but other than that it's a very simple song to play...

post #472 of 12426 Old 12-07-2007, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejokell View Post

I don't really understand the difficulty of the song - it has a single time change but other than that it's a very simple song to play...

I understand the difficulty: the ending is 1) fast and 2) seemingly never-ending.

Up to that point the songs have been nice short jogs. Then *BOOM!* GG&HT brings on a fast marathon!

No one is saying it's complicated... it's just some of us hadn't developed the endurance and/or speed at the point it appears in the medium tour.
post #473 of 12426 Old 12-07-2007, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I understand the difficulty: the ending is 1) fast and 2) seemingly never-ending.

Up to that point the songs have been nice short jogs. Then *BOOM!* GG&HT brings on a fast marathon!

No one is saying it's complicated... it's just some of us hadn't developed the endurance and/or speed at the point it appears in the medium tour.

That's a pretty good point. You would get to this beast pretty quickly if you only play solo.
post #474 of 12426 Old 12-07-2007, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

My $19.99 cheap-bastard drum throne from Guitar Center online arrived yesterday. Ugh, I wish I would've just ponied up the $45 for the one with the cushy seat when I went into the local Guitar Center brick-n-mortar store that didn't have the el cheapo seat. This thing is hard and it puts my cheeks to sleep.
post #475 of 12426 Old 12-07-2007, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 203
GOOD NEWS!

put a claim in through EA's website to replace guitar on 12/2. Called them on 12/6 to get status and an error is causing a delay.

To compensate me for my hardship (wont have new guitar til next week) they are letting me keep my busted one. The guy said I can try and fix it (strum bar) or smash it like a real rock star. Sweet!

If I can fix it then free bass!

The above post is 100% medically accurate

31 Days of Horror: 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010 2009 2008
post #476 of 12426 Old 12-07-2007, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_in_SoCal View Post

My $19.99 cheap-bastard drum throne from Guitar Center online arrived yesterday. Ugh, I wish I would've just ponied up the $45 for the one with the cushy seat when I went into the local Guitar Center brick-n-mortar store that didn't have the el cheapo seat. This thing is hard and it puts my cheeks to sleep.

meh I don't mind mine. Yeah it's practically a wood stool but I can go 3 hours and not be that uncomfortable.
post #477 of 12426 Old 12-07-2007, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzack View Post

GOOD NEWS!

put a claim in through EA's website to replace guitar on 12/2. Called them on 12/6 to get status and an error is causing a delay.

To compensate me for my hardship (wont have new guitar til next week) they are letting me keep my busted one. The guy said I can try and fix it (strum bar) or smash it like a real rock star. Sweet!

Thats sweet. Upstrum only on bass is fine!
post #478 of 12426 Old 12-07-2007, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzack View Post

GOOD NEWS!

You lucky son of a.......I'm not gonna lie, I'm feeling a tad envious right now, lol!

Gamertag: BaneAssassin
PSN: BaneAssassin
post #479 of 12426 Old 12-07-2007, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejokell View Post

I don't really understand the difficulty of the song - it has a single time change but other than that it's a very simple song to play...

The difficulty is you get f-ing tired doing the same thing over and over and over very quickly. After I played that song twice in a row my living room smelled like a men's locker room. I also find during long repetitive streaks like that my mind starts wandering and soon after lose the rhythm.
post #480 of 12426 Old 12-07-2007, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The difficulty is you get f-ing tired doing the same thing over and over and over very quickly. After I played that song twice in a row my living room smelled like a men's locker room. I also find during long repetitive streaks like that my mind starts wandering and soon after lose the rhythm.

Don't try to take up the actual drums then.

Reply Xbox Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page