Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 12426 Old 11-20-2007, 11:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastahkaz View Post

The only thing I'm getting annoyed with is people buying the game disc only, playing with a GH guitar, and complaining that it's not as fun. This game is not meant as substitute for GH. When played as a whole with three other people though it can't be beat (100x more fun that GH "battle" or "co-op").

If I couldn't purchase the whole package I don't think I would have even bothered with the game. Though, for those who are playing guitar-only and enjoying it... rock on!

Can anyone confirm that the live headset works as a microphone in the game (specifically with the Xplorer). It would be worth it to buy the stand-alone game to try and take on guitar and vocals at the same time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 12426 Old 11-20-2007, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

As far as getting the SE package, no problems with casually walking into BB and seeing a ton of it and about no one else interested in it besides me.
post #33 of 12426 Old 11-20-2007, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Don't care for the strum bar on the new guitar. The strat looks cool, but it's a pain to play. Switched the Les Paula and was hitting 97%+. Only 90% or so with the strat. Not sure if I have a bad guitar, or if it's just not as good.
post #34 of 12426 Old 11-20-2007, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I'm so glad I caved and got the bundle today. Drums are amazingly fun.

xbox live/PSN: Chad473
post #35 of 12426 Old 11-20-2007, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerbero9 View Post

Can anyone confirm that the live headset works as a microphone in the game (specifically with the Xplorer). It would be worth it to buy the stand-alone game to try and take on guitar and vocals at the same time.

it works but needs to be attached to a seperate wireless controller.
post #36 of 12426 Old 11-20-2007, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Picking mine up after work today. This days gonna draaaaag > Only thing I was scared of seems to be coming true. Why did they make the Drum heads loud plastic?!?! WTF. Need to find a cheap alternative like wraping the stick heads w/ cotton or something ha ha.
post #37 of 12426 Old 11-20-2007, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm gonna try using the headset while playing guitar to see if I can do world tour by myself. Keeping up with lyrics is gonna be tough but I think my guitar will make up for it.
post #38 of 12426 Old 11-20-2007, 12:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Picked this up today, the game only version, using my wireless GH3 guitar is fun. I like the songs so far.

PSN - nnarum
post #39 of 12426 Old 11-20-2007, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The only thing I'm getting annoyed with is people buying the game disc only, playing with a GH guitar, and complaining that it's not as fun. This game is not meant as substitute for GH. When played as a whole with three other people though it can't be beat (100x more fun that GH "battle" or "co-op").

If I couldn't purchase the whole package I don't think I would have even bothered with the game. Though, for those who are playing guitar-only and enjoying it... rock on!

I think Gamestop takes in guitars as trade-ins. Take in your old GH2 guitar and trade it in!
post #40 of 12426 Old 11-20-2007, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Here here.

This is Rock BAND, not Rock Guitar. You can't even compare really to GH, and you are wasting money on Rock Band if the only thing you will ever do is play guitar/bass.

Guitar + Bass + Drums + Voice = Rock Band
post #41 of 12426 Old 11-20-2007, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marms1 View Post

I'm in a limbo like state right now. I went and picked up my pre-ordered bundle on my lunch break. But I'm working a double shift, so I won't get home till after 9 o'clock tonight CST.

It's just sitting in the trunk, calling to me with a siren song of rock.

I feel your pain, but luckily I only have to wait another hour or so.

Steam/XBL/PSN: thejokell
post #42 of 12426 Old 11-20-2007, 01:55 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankJ.Cone View Post

My guitar is OK now. My wife played for about 30 min and it seems the strum bar is working all (most?) of the time. (Guess it needed some break in time?) Still feels terribly loose compared to the GH ones but its not missing. I REALLY like the buttons on the RB guitar after 5 songs.

Has anyone else had problems with the guitar? There is a thread on the RB site with a lot of people saying their strum bars are messed up. I got mine today but it's a Christmas gift for "my kids".

link

chili
somebody set up us the bomb
post #43 of 12426 Old 11-20-2007, 02:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I was at wally world a few days ago, browsing the christmas decorations with the wife when we heard an annoyingly loud CLOPPING sound coming from the back of the store. We thought someone had let a horse in through the garden section, or some kids were banging plastic bowls on the concrete floor. As we made our way over to see what it was, we found two people playing Rock Band. The next day my wife gave me her revised x-mas list, RB was missing with GHIII in its place.

Epson Home Cinema 3010 Projector____Paradigm 9SE MK II Main LR
Yamaha RX-V667 AVR_______________Paradigm CC-270 V.3 Center
Emotiva UPA-5 Amplifier______________Dual Stereo Integrity 18" Infinite Baffle
Sony BDP-570 Blu Ray_______________DIY Sound Group Volt 10
post #44 of 12426 Old 11-20-2007, 02:38 PM

I use my GH3 wireless guitar with headset to talk while playing on live with other players. To sing you have to have it on another controler.
post #45 of 12426 Old 11-20-2007, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Ok my right ankle is KEEELIN me.... so I staretd on Guitar. I am having fun with the guitar alone as well. Not sure where all the complains about the guitar only stuff is coming from. I like it at least as well as GHIII (I prefered GHII though...)

Drums are where its at though if for no other reason they are "new". (To me anyway).

I am not confident in the longevity of this stuff (hardware not game) but man is it fun to play with!

Frank J. Cone

XBox Live / Steam: FCONE

Please do not form any opinion of the content of this post, it is still in BETA.

post #46 of 12426 Old 11-20-2007, 02:44 PM

From what I've been told, Rock Band is delayed in Canada. I seem to remember reading something about this a while back, but a forum search for 'Rock Band Canada' yielded nothing.

Can anyone confirm that it is indeed delayed in Canada? Futureshop has conflicting info with a search of 'Rock Band' showing that it released yesterday, but the 'Coming Soon' section not showing it until Dec. 19th. Oh well...

XBox Gamertag: Shadowhwk
PSN: Shadowhwk_YYC

"The first few times fighting her, I felt as helpless as a one legged cat trying to cover turds on a frozen pond." <---- We've all been there!
post #47 of 12426 Old 11-20-2007, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Delayed in Canada. Don't remember what day in Dec.
post #48 of 12426 Old 11-20-2007, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy97 View Post

Here here.

This is Rock BAND, not Rock Guitar. You can't even compare really to GH, and you are wasting money on Rock Band if the only thing you will ever do is play guitar/bass.

Guitar + Bass + Drums + Voice = Rock Band

I only got the game and I'm really enjoying playing guitar only right now. I didn't waste my money. I can play 3 out of 4 parts (guitar, bass, vocals) without buying the big bundle so I'm content with game only for now. I can buy the drum kit when it's available by itself later and it'll be like a new game all over again.
post #49 of 12426 Old 11-20-2007, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Just $30 more for the whole bundle. Or $10 if a Sam's is near by with it in.
post #50 of 12426 Old 11-20-2007, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdank View Post

Delayed in Canada. Don't remember what day in Dec.

Yeah, there were people who drove down to Seattle from Vancouver BC to get the game at midnight. Talk about dedication.
post #51 of 12426 Old 11-20-2007, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 28
My microphone is dead out of the box.

EA is supposedly shipping me a new one, but it'll be the weekend before it has a chance of getting here.
post #52 of 12426 Old 11-20-2007, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_in_SoCal View Post

My microphone is dead out of the box.

EA is supposedly shipping me a new one, but it'll be the weekend before it has a chance of getting here.

If you have a normal xbox live headset you can use it in the meantime.
post #53 of 12426 Old 11-20-2007, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

It may be too soon, but is there a code to unlock all songs? I want to sing Wanted Dead or Alive now but I don't want to play via other instruments tons of songs to get there (I'm the singer for our Rock Band (also our NHL 2k8 team that plays other teams 4 on 4, it's great and geeky))! Thanks.
post #54 of 12426 Old 11-20-2007, 04:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quick first impressions from a GH2/3 fan: Bought just the game and will wait until drum kit available in Jan. Initial impressions that it's nowhere near the standardas of GH2/3 for just the guitar alone. It's easily noticeable that the guitar is a lot easier to play than GH. Also the graphics are nowhere near as good as GH2/3 (talking about the fret, star power etc.). It is obvious that what you're playing is one section of a complete package and not a dedicated game centered around the guitar like GH is. Now saying all that it does feel polished and the track list is much better than GH3, with some memorable songs right off the bat in the warm up section.

To sum up if you're buying this thinking it's GH4 it's not and never will be. If you're getting the game now with the plan to form a band sometime in the future then go for it.
post #55 of 12426 Old 11-20-2007, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alougher View Post

Quick first impressions from a GH2/3 fan: Bought just the game and will wait until drum kit available in Jan. Initial impressions that it's nowhere near the standardas of GH2/3 for just the guitar alone. It's easily noticeable that the guitar is a lot easier to play than GH. Also the graphics are nowhere near as good as GH2/3 (talking about the fret, star power etc.). It is obvious that what you're playing is one section of a complete package and not a dedicated game centered around the guitar like GH is. Now saying all that it does feel polished and the track list is much better than GH3, with some memorable songs right off the bat in the warm up section.

To sum up if you're buying this thinking it's GH4 it's not and never will be. If you're getting the game now with the plan to form a band sometime in the future then go for it.

Honestly Rock Band should have only been released in full set version. All the instruments in side plus one other guitar and you are ready for your band of four to play. It is designed to be played with 4 people, not solo.

Something just doesn't sit right with me when solo players are reviewing a multiplayer game. It's like someone buying Halo 3, only playing Single player, and passing it off as a review of multiplayer.

Has anyone played this yet with 3 other friends, ie, has anyone played a song yet with someone on guitar, another on bass, another on drums, and yet another in voice? That's where the real reviews should be coming from. If that is not an enjoyable experience, then the game won't be great.(I am curious if everyone in a room using their instrument creates a lot of annoying clicking sounds and all that, or is it harmonious?) I suspect that experience is killer though.
post #56 of 12426 Old 11-20-2007, 05:21 PM
Advanced Member

I'm finding some decent user reviews over in the PSX forum..

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post12270463
post #57 of 12426 Old 11-20-2007, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 506
I know the game is "Rock Band"... and I would love to be able to play with people. The wife promised to sing a couple songs with me at some point, but unless I can teach my cats to play the bass or guitar*, I'll be playing solo most of the time -- as I'll bet the majority of people who buy it.

So even though I understand the concept is about being in a band, I'm still hoping I enjoy it as a single player experience.

(* One cat said he would play if he got to be on drums, but I told him that ain't happening. )
post #58 of 12426 Old 11-20-2007, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

I didn't want to like it.... really, I didn't. The question is how much do I like it?

Some ramblings.

- The box is huge. The drums are height adjustable which is probably the only way to save some space unless you want to take them apart and reassemble every time.
- Lay down some tape in your living room? Power for usb box, plus wires for 4 controllers make a big pile of snakes on the floor. Imagine if everything was wireless.
- Definately cool -right from the opening sequence. Nice to see MTV behind something with a guitar because all I can think of is real world and hip hop.
- Customize out the wazoo - and you don't have to buy everything - you can win stuff too! Right down to the rings on your fingers - think make a wrestler + forza graphics.
- Set list I'm not sure of yet. Most songs are slow and moody and there needs to be more female vocals for this household. Wanted Dead or Alive and Reaper are a blast.
- It does seem easy, but it's not about only YOUR skill level.
- How many can play drums late at night or start wailing while the kids are sleeping?
-Big Rock Ending is fun, but will get old really soon. If its just a button mash for notes vs. something for expression.
- Drums are a lot of work - but fun. Start out slowly and figure out how to play the kick properly or your leg will fall off by the first chorus.
-Fender has great look with low profile buttons. It can be easier to lose your finger position at first. Using the solo buttons seems to throw me off and cause more trouble than they are worth, but they are smaller so maybe some of those trills will be easier.
- Hammer-on and pull-off notes are half-sized rectangles and notes can be tricky to make out in a run.
- Still not sure what is going on with star power (err, overdrive) and how and when it works.
- whammy is very springy and rests a little farther from the face of the guitar. I prefer them closer so you can push it in and out with pinky or second last finger.
- Strum bar is wider with more of a ridge to grab between your fingers and it is SO QUIET. One of the benefits of cranking up the headphones is to drown out the clicking on the GH controllers. Fender comes in two pieces but the second piece is short, not like the 1/2 and 1/2 Gibson which can be packed away a little easier.
-No encores? Gimmicky, yes but fun. - like achievements.
- The RockBand mic can be slapped to play percussive elements like tambourine or ... more cowbell.

So we're looking forward to 'Brass In Pocket" and some more fun songs to play. Can RockBand do this without becoming "singstar XL?" Is that a bad thing? Can this be a party game that is a little easier to play, leaving GH series for the hardcore? Personally, I could live without MOSH 1, but I don't want only be looking for a note on every down beat, either.

No doubt, RockBand is cool - but how much fun is it?

"I am aware that this Thread is rather old but I still want to make a reply."
post #59 of 12426 Old 11-20-2007, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

I think its a little shady to have DLC songpacks available on the release day with a shorter song set than maybe some expected. One might ask if some of these should have been included in the game. Some songs are already in GH3... oh no, another Format War!

I used to debate that since you are playing for a band that might not actually be "Metallica" that it was okay not to use master recordings and covers would do just fine. After hearing "Tom Sawyer" I will never say this again - terrible vocals.

"I am aware that this Thread is rather old but I still want to make a reply."
post #60 of 12426 Old 11-20-2007, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cueCrew View Post

- Still not sure what is going on with star power (err, overdrive) and how and when it works.

It's very much a drag, but the tutorial explains the HUD really well.
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page