The Official Rock Band Discussion Thread - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 12423 Old 01-01-2008, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am probably going to pick up RB this week. Does anybody know if they have fixed the strumbar on the guitars?

"220. 221. Whatever it takes."
XBOX360 GamerTag: BoomerBrian
BoomerBrian's Killer HT on a Shoestring Budget!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 12423 Old 01-01-2008, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 394
I played a little guitar solo career, and it dawned on me... the order of songs for each career is different!

I don't know if that's common knowledge or has been obvious from day one, but I just realized it.

Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming? Click here.
post #723 of 12423 Old 01-01-2008, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

I played a little guitar solo career, and it dawned on me... the order of songs for each career is different!

I don't know if that's common knowledge or has been obvious from day one, but I just realized it.

Yep, it changes based on difficulty of the instrument you're using.

It changes in the band quick play as well, based on which instrument is choosing the song.

Steam/XBL/PSN: thejokell
post #724 of 12423 Old 01-02-2008, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicalnoise View Post

DLC for this week:
"Gimme Three Steps" as performed by Lynyrd Skynyrd
"Hard to Handle" as made famous by the Black Crowes
"Limelight" as made famous by Rush

All songs are 160 Microsoft Points. There is no bundle for the songs.

damn it, hopefully my 360 gets back to me by next week.

Man I am continually amazed by the DLC for this game. I really like all 3 of these. A lot of the songs they've released aren't really my taste, I've only bought 5 or 6 so far. But I'll be grabbing all of these. Music is so subjective...every song that makes someone sick is someone else's favorite song. But I think the DLC already has something for just about anyone's taste. Well done Harmonix or whoever is producing the new songs!
post #725 of 12423 Old 01-02-2008, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

Anyway, I think over this break I've been playing the drums too much -- I've developed a pain in my right wrist* (the high-hat & crash hand). Right now I'm looking for possible solutions to alleviate this pain, like a wrist brace or something like that. If any drummers have any suggestions, I would love to hear them.

(*I know I've just opened myself up to "other possible causes of wrist pain" jokes. )

UPDATE: I hope this helps others out....

I consulted with a friend who was a pro drummer and drum teacher about my wrist pain. He showed that I my drumming motion was completely wrong and was the cause of the pain.

I was holding the sticks thumb up and rotating the wrist, so my high hat motion and cymbal strikes was like pounding a nail with a hammer. Completely wrong.

He explained that the back of hand should point up. And from elbow to knuckles there should be a straight line (not a perfect line, but close). The wrist is still doing a lot of the stick movement, along with some slight elbow and fingertip control.

He also said that, even with proper technique, some drummers still develop wrist problems... usually carpel tunnel.

So advice the aspiring wanna-be RockBand drummers... check your technique. If you are pounding the drums like a hammer as I was, you might be playing wrong.

post #726 of 12423 Old 01-02-2008, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Doesnt the tutorial show you how to grip the sticks?
post #727 of 12423 Old 01-02-2008, 10:01 AM

I downloaded a couple of this weeks tracks, and all I can say is that Gimmie Three Steps kicks all sorts of ass. Easily now in my top 5 songs in the game.

My Current Theater Setup:
Mistubishi WS55513, Denon 2805, XBox 360 w/ HD-DVD add-on, PS3, Wii, Dish V622 HD-DVR Reciever

360 Gamertag: BlackDragon1066
post #728 of 12423 Old 01-02-2008, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
so i finally found an EB Games with a few in stock, so i get it home, and the F*#$%#$ green pad on the drums does NOT work... at all.

i just know that the douchebags at EB games wont give me a replacement or a refund, and i'm gonna have to ship this pile of S#$% in to get fixed.

No trees were harmed forming this post, though many electrons were inconvenienced.
SERGEANT SERGEANT MASTER SERGEANT SHOOTER PERSON
Then:|A40|AX720|F1|K702|DT880|ES7|MS2i Now:|MS1|AD700|PC360|A30
post #729 of 12423 Old 01-02-2008, 09:51 PM
AVS Special Member

well it wasnt easy, but i got EB games to accept my return, and exchanged it for the last one they had in stock, luckily the drums work flawlessly, havent tested out the guitar or mic, but i dont give a crap about those anyway.

No trees were harmed forming this post, though many electrons were inconvenienced.
post #730 of 12423 Old 01-02-2008, 11:03 PM

Liked: 93
If you already knew that EB is filled with douchebags, then why did you give them your business? There are plenty of other places to shop. Hell, BestBuy and Circuit City are filled with douchebags too, but at least they have an acceptable return policy.
post #731 of 12423 Old 01-02-2008, 11:32 PM

2 things...

1) I want to replace my guitar. I live in Canada but bought it in the states, so I realize that it may take longer to get here. The problem is that I can't login to EA support site. I click the options they give you, telling them it is a faulty strum bar, then it says I need an account. I created one, and when I try to login (for the last 2 weeks at least) it keeps coming up "Internal Server Error. Please try Again Later" Anyone experience this and have a solution?

2) Anyone have any tips on beating "Run to the Hills" for the drums on Hard? It is the only song I have yet to beat and it is driving me nuts. I have gone to practice and can get the beat up to 70 or 80% speed, but at full speed it is not pretty and I'm done quickly...
post #732 of 12423 Old 01-03-2008, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeless View Post

2 things...

1) I want to replace my guitar. I live in Canada but bought it in the states, so I realize that it may take longer to get here. The problem is that I can't login to EA support site. I click the options they give you, telling them it is a faulty strum bar, then it says I need an account. I created one, and when I try to login (for the last 2 weeks at least) it keeps coming up "Internal Server Error. Please try Again Later" Anyone experience this and have a solution?

2) Anyone have any tips on beating "Run to the Hills" for the drums on Hard? It is the only song I have yet to beat and it is driving me nuts. I have gone to practice and can get the beat up to 70 or 80% speed, but at full speed it is not pretty and I'm done quickly...

Never mind I managed to get on the site and order my replacement guitar. I had to change my password and clear my cookies. Anyone else have to wait in Canada for the guitar due to border delays?

I still need the tips on Run to the Hills though...lol
post #733 of 12423 Old 01-03-2008, 04:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

If you already knew that EB is filled with douchebags, then why did you give them your business? There are plenty of other places to shop. Hell, BestBuy and Circuit City are filled with douchebags too, but at least they have an acceptable return policy.

because i've been searching low and high for ANYONE with a copy in stock since release, and nothing.

i called every single retailer including walmart/kmart/target before finally finding 2 bundles in stock at EB games.

and its not about the return policy, it's the big stupid sticker that says "DO NOT RETURN THIS (ALREADY)DEFECTIVE ITEM TO THE STORE!"

post #734 of 12423 Old 01-03-2008, 04:43 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
They have been sold out in my city for a while now, I did find some at EB Games last night, but they had a November sticker on the bottom of the box. I noticed that EB Games put a yellow sticker on the top of the box saying that if anything was faulty, then you cannot return the product to the store and there was a web address for EA to get the product fixed. I decided to wait a while and see if anyone gets a newer date on the box. I know that BB and CC has them on the web site now, so I am waiting until they get them in the store. I still have a few more things to get anyway for the mods. I have some neoprene rubber so I can make some pads (Still need to cut them yet), I have bought the stuff for the kick pedal and I am just waiting on a friend to find an old kick pedal to give to me
post #735 of 12423 Old 01-03-2008, 04:44 AM
AVS Special Member

The feburary 08 OXM is going to have "exclusive" DLC:

* Freezepop — "Sprøde"

* Bang Camaro — "Rock Rebellion"

* Count Zero — "Shake"

It's said to be exclusive but usually OXM is just time exclusive we may see these song later has free DLC(likely a month or so later). I personally won't be able to wait Freezepop is awesome as is bang comaro and count zero had a pretty cool song on GH2.

ALSO! Anyone else see rock band on COnan last night? Great stuff.
post #736 of 12423 Old 01-03-2008, 05:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by formulanerd View Post

because i've been searching low and high for ANYONE with a copy in stock since release, and nothing.

i called every single retailer including walmart/kmart/target before finally finding 2 bundles in stock at EB games.

and its not about the return policy, it's the big stupid sticker that says "DO NOT RETURN THIS (ALREADY)DEFECTIVE ITEM TO THE STORE!"

That doesn't mean it can't be returned - every store's return policy should still apply (although most stores do not accept opened video games). Lots of electronics say that, especially items like TVs.

Steam/XBL/PSN: thejokell
post #737 of 12423 Old 01-03-2008, 05:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeless View Post

Anyone have any tips on beating "Run to the Hills" for the drums on Hard?

Give up... it can't be done.

...I keed -- I've gotten past the halfway point, so I guess with practice it will eventually be conquered.

One thing to notice is the high-hat starts on yellow (as usual) for the intro, but then they move it to red and put the snare on yellow. I think this is the only chart that has a snare on yellow? Very confusing, but it makes sense.

For the main chorus I've tried double tapping with the left hand and alternate between red/kick and snare with the right. This works well slowed down in practice, but at full speed it's next to impossible to do that many accurate double-taps with the left hand, so I would say that's the wrong way to do it.

I think the key to this song is learning which hand to start the rolls, because the right hand has to alternate positions on the correct beat. It's a very very tough song!

Study this guy... he's YouTube's RockBand god.

post #738 of 12423 Old 01-03-2008, 05:38 AM
AVS Special Member

I finally had time to play some more solo career on drums last night - I can't believe how I blew threw GG&HT on hard after struggling with it on medium for so long. (I know you made a similar comment like last month DaverJ, but I'm lagging behind your skills, I was hoping to catch up to you b/c of your broken pedal ) Anyway I really dig the skill progression you pick up without even realizing it.

My foam mod bit the dust on the pads. Red and yellow compressed where the sticks contact them all the time, started bubbling up like a blister. Next thing I'm gonna try is dipping the tips of my sticks in some "Plasti-Dip" - the rubber coating stuff you use on the handles of your pliers, etc. I've already got it in the basement, I figure it's worth a shot.
post #739 of 12423 Old 01-03-2008, 05:52 AM
AVS Special Member

I think once I get my 360 back me and daver are going to have to do some tug of war and score duels.
post #740 of 12423 Old 01-03-2008, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think once I get my 360 back me and daver are going to have to do some tug of war and score duels.

I'd be up for some humiliation. Hopefully the pain in my wrist isn't a career-ending injury.

post #741 of 12423 Old 01-03-2008, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Original Xbox Magazine is going to have three tracks for Rock Band on their next issue's bonus disk. All three tracks are from Harmonix's employee bands:

* Freezepop — "Sprøde"

* Bang Camaro — "Rock Rebellion"

* Count Zero — "Shake"
post #742 of 12423 Old 01-03-2008, 06:45 AM

Quote:

I'd be up for some as well, they are pretty fun. I'm probably not as good as DaverJ, but I play pretty decent on Hard, still working on the last tier. Anyone who wants to duel, or just jam on Band Quickplay, send me an invite: LandShark22x. I'm tired of playing with random people on XBL
post #743 of 12423 Old 01-03-2008, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizarDru View Post

Original Xbox Magazine is going to have three tracks for Rock Band on their next issue's bonus disk. All three tracks are from Harmonix's employee bands:

* Freezepop "Sprøde"

* Bang Camaro "Rock Rebellion"

* Count Zero "Shake"

already posted but thanks
post #744 of 12423 Old 01-03-2008, 12:25 PM

Need help deciding which game... GH3 bundle or RB Bundle (please no flame war).

Heres the deal... we have GH2 with the xplorer guitar now and the wife and I love it. I really want a second guitar so we could play coop. It started me thinking GH3 bundle is the way to go. However, we aren't all that great and hard is the best we can do in GH2... it's my understanding that GH3 is much harder.

So now I'm thinking about RB as the difficulty (at least for guitars) is more our speed, and the allure of drums is calling me. I also really like RB's model for downloadable content and would be up for some occasional vocals. Please understand most times it would only be two people playing (the wife and I) and sometimes solo. We would rarely have a full band (although it will be a blast to have some friends over).

So the million dollar question, would RB satisfy for 1-2 players or should we just stick to GH for solo and coop?
post #745 of 12423 Old 01-03-2008, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp1dey View Post

Need help deciding which game... GH3 bundle or RB Bundle (please no flame war).

Heres the deal... we have GH2 with the xplorer guitar now and the wife and I love it. I really want a second guitar so we could play coop. It started me thinking GH3 bundle is the way to go. However, we aren't all that great and hard is the best we can do in GH2... it's my understanding that GH3 is much harder.

So now I'm thinking about RB as the difficulty (at least for guitars) is more our speed, and the allure of drums is calling me. I also really like RB's model for downloadable content and would be up for some occasional vocals. Please understand most times it would only be two people playing (the wife and I) and sometimes solo. We would rarely have a full band (although it will be a blast to have some friends over).

So the million dollar question, would RB satisfy for 1-2 players or should we just stick to GH for solo and coop?

If anything buy RB just because even with only 2 players the Band world tour mode blows away anything GH3 has as far as co-op play. Plus having the option to play two extra parts of a song is always good.
post #746 of 12423 Old 01-03-2008, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think you've answered your own question.

RB is a decent single player game... less "videogame"ish than the GH games, but still a lot of fun. Two player co-op is even better. Harmonix definitely knows how to chart a music-based rhythm game. And if you get hooked on playing the drums (*ahem* ), going back to the guitar controller starts to loose it's luster.

And RockBand can't be touched for 3 and 4 player jammin'!

But what else to do expect to hear in a RockBand thread?

post #747 of 12423 Old 01-03-2008, 01:12 PM

Yeah, my mind is sort of made up with RB. I'm just looking for assurance that 1-2 player is "enough" with the occasional full band.
post #748 of 12423 Old 01-03-2008, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah, my mind is sort of made up with RB. I'm just looking for assurance that 1-2 player is "enough" with the occasional full band.

Just think about the number of great two person bands out there. If they can do it for real, I'm sure it'll work for you and your wife in RB. And you get it even better because you've got the game to fill in the unplayed band members so you're not just jamming to nothing.

Also, if you think hard on GH2 is hard, you'll probably hate a good chunk of GH3. The easier note charts aren't that fun, and the harder note charts are pretty tough. They made the timing easier, but that only helps so much.
post #749 of 12423 Old 01-03-2008, 02:42 PM

Liked: 93
You already have the best version of the Guitar Hero games, so you may as well jump over to Rock Band. In my house, we play alot of 2-player Rock Band. We have two Les Paul's, GH2, GH3, and RB. We are about to pick up a mic, but probably won't ever get the drums (interest is there, just don't have the space to devote to them). GH3 was the first game we got, but we play RB the most, followed by GH2. Occasionally we can convince visitors to sing for us.
post #750 of 12423 Old 01-03-2008, 02:43 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Definitely go with RB. You and the wife can jam in a 'band' , battle with tug of war and score duel. You will surely find a song or two or ten that you like and one of you will surely pick up the mic and sing. You already said you have the urge for the drums and once you see them, you may never touch the guitar again as one poster already mentioned. My house had a 3hr jam session on Sunday night with a full band and it was really fun.

Are we having fun yet?
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page