The Official Rock Band Discussion Thread - Page 37 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1081 of 12395 Old 01-23-2008, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'll give the one, two counting a try. I play with headphones so ill have to count real loud. My wife will think I'm freakin' mental. lol

I have a feeling that if I tried I will probably pass GG&HT before Vasoline on hard.

The only bright point of all of this is at least Vasoline is one of my favorite songs in the game so having to listen and play it over and over won't be too painful (unlike that song I Get By) lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 12395 Old 01-23-2008, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
get it outta my head!

MmaaaaaaPs! they don't love you i love you....
post #1083 of 12395 Old 01-23-2008, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

Yep, Vasoline is a "wall" song. No tips except practice slow and don't expect it to click after a couple tries.

Good news is that it teaches you the off-beat kick that comes into play with the rest of the tiers. If you nail the STP song, other songs in later tiers will come much easier.

Vasoline is a tough one. I actually think "Go with the Flow" is harder though. If you get through these songs they are great practice for technique and warming up to offbeats.

Quote:

get it outta my head!

I've loved this song since that album came out. I was completely stoked when I saw it on the list for this game. Amazing song (and album actually) and the drum line just sounds too cool.

Contributing Editor/Writer
Sound And Vision Magazine

Click Here To See My Current Setup
post #1084 of 12395 Old 01-23-2008, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatse View Post

get it outta my head!

easy way to get it out of your head, check out the live version(youtube or whatever). It's pretty bad.
post #1085 of 12395 Old 01-23-2008, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjPiLL View Post

Question for you guys.... did Vasoline give anybody here major difficulty in clearing on the Hard difficulty?

I took a stab at this song and I failed it miserably. Too many off pedal hits. I think part of the problem I have is I have serious trouble hitting really fast alternate pedal-twopads-pedal-twopads-pedal-etc.

It's like I have severe brainlock trying to do this... my hands want to hit the pads at the same time I hit the pedal and I just can't get around this. I was able to at least pass prior songs that have these types of charts because these charts only appeared for short periods of time so they weren't around long enough for me to get booed off stage.

I think Vasoline is giving me problems with this because of the issue I am having doing alternate pedal-pad hits. And it seems like the entire song has this type of rhythm so I am going to have major issues clearing this song.

I have no problems doing double pedal hits now, or pedal then pedal + pad. Those are easy. But simple alternating pedal-pad-pedal-pad (like in GG&HT) really screw me over.

Any tips to eliminate this kind of brainlock (besides just practicing?)

I second the counting. It does help. Also practice practice practice.. Vasoline took me about two dozen tries to get through. After that I was fine until That Iron Maiden song whose name I can't remember.. which I'm still stuck on. So I've been doing expert, and now I'm stuck on something..one of the songs in the tier with Paranoid.
post #1086 of 12395 Old 01-23-2008, 01:49 PM
AVS Club Gold

Oops - nevermind - I see that my question was already answered...
post #1087 of 12395 Old 01-23-2008, 01:57 PM
Advanced Member

Saving overdrive?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HACSe3jwlb4

You know DaverJ's post about having such issues with RTTH on Hard made be think about the idea of saving your overdrive. Watching the above video you can see that he saves his overdrive on this, thus allowing his last overdrive to pass at 2:16 right before he starts to have some serious trouble with that one crazier part of the song. He hits the next overdrive pretty much saving his ass and in the end allowing him to finish the song.

So here's the debate. Is it a "lame" way to play it? Or do you do what you gotta do to clear it?
post #1088 of 12395 Old 01-23-2008, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Saving overdrive?

You know DaverJ's post about having such issues with RTTH on Hard made be think about the idea of saving your overdrive. Watching the above video you can see that he saves his overdrive on this, thus allowing his last overdrive to pass at 2:16 right before he starts to have some serious trouble with that one crazier part of the song. He hits the next overdrive pretty much saving his ass and in the end allowing him to finish the song.

So here's the debate. Is it a "lame" way to play it? Or do you do what you gotta do to clear it?

No different than saving Star Power to get through a tough part of the song. Great to get through and move along. Obviously, there's lots of work to be done if you want to get good at that song. Also, using the overdrive during the right sections is the key to racking up big points once you have the song perfected.
post #1089 of 12395 Old 01-23-2008, 02:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdank View Post

Also, using the overdrive during the right sections is the key to racking up big points once you have the song perfected.

Yea.... obviously this part is very true. Especially if you are a really, really good and can challenge the leaderboards.
post #1090 of 12395 Old 01-23-2008, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 343
Quote:

Saving overdrive?

Great post DjPiLL!

I feel there's a couple ways to approach the drums on RockBand:

1) Learn a skill and have the satisfaction of getting good at it.
2) Fantasy wish fulfillment and simple fun of participating with music.
3) A video game that has a goal to get a high score, 5 stars, or simply "win".

Personally, I have found myself doing all 3 at different times. Run To The Hills on Hard was definitely #3. I saved my overdrive and only used it when the screen turned red and the crowd started booing!

Saving the overdrive helps because it gives open space that aren't counted against you, plus when it is activated is almost an immediate recovery.

Most of the time I use overdrive immediately. Lately, as I've been chasing Leaderboards, I've found it's better to skip Overdrive if I'm not in 4x mode to accumulate maximum points. Also, some overdrive sections have more opportunities for more "hits" afterwards. There's nothing worse then launching overdrive, only to have the drums sit silent for a couple measures as the OD drains out!

Sub-1080p/60fps is not next-gen.

Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming? Click here.
post #1091 of 12395 Old 01-23-2008, 03:13 PM
Advanced Member

I definitely agree there are different ways to approach it. I just thought of your post with the picture of RTTH when I saw that youtube video. lol
post #1092 of 12395 Old 01-23-2008, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 343
Quote:

I just thought of your post with the picture of RTTH when I saw that youtube video. lol

I finally got home from work where I could watch the YouTube vid... he got a 19 note streak!

He got his overdrive early... that helps. And executing it at the beginning of the guitar solo was the perfect place to do it.

Sub-1080p/60fps is not next-gen.

Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming? Click here.
post #1093 of 12395 Old 01-23-2008, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatse View Post

get it outta my head!

I'm amazed at how much different the cd version sounds. Somehow I had the cd and never really got into the band. I just pulled it up today and it started listening to it again.
post #1094 of 12395 Old 01-23-2008, 06:49 PM
Advanced Member

SO i cleared GG&HT on hard on the first try with like 96% and a 614 note streak. Of course I used my star power at key spots... but the note streak was nice. No longer fear that song.

I cleard Vasoline after practicing at 80% for a good 20-30 mintutes. It wasn't pretty but I got it done.

But there is another song at the same city as Vasoline that's driving me nuts. I forget the name of the band... they are not as well known.
post #1095 of 12395 Old 01-23-2008, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

SO i cleared GG&HT on hard on the first try with like 96% and a 614 note streak. Of course I used my star power at key spots... but the note streak was nice. No longer fear that song.

I cleard Vasoline after practicing at 80% for a good 20-30 mintutes. It wasn't pretty but I got it done.

But there is another song at the same city as Vasoline that's driving me nuts. I forget the name of the band... they are not as well known.

yeah after breaking through on medium and then going through hard GGAHT is a pretty normal song all of a sudden.
post #1096 of 12395 Old 01-23-2008, 10:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Well, I'm stuck on 104/105 Hard Guitar songs. I can't get the hang of the start of joker and the thief. Maybe I should delete it, hehe

xbl/gamecenter: leff4
psn/twitter: ileff
my app: video poker clock
post #1097 of 12395 Old 01-23-2008, 11:50 PM

Liked: 93
You have 47 DLC tracks? Daaaamn!
post #1098 of 12395 Old 01-23-2008, 11:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I beat endless setlist yesterday on hard playing the guitar and singing. I'm working my way through getting all the big in achievements - right now I've only got one but I'm saving all the make your own setlists until I've completed everything else so I can ease into expert/expert.
post #1099 of 12395 Old 01-24-2008, 02:20 AM
Advanced Member

the game just came in today for me. so far the songs on the guitar are pretty easy even on expert compared to gh3. i also dont like how the hammer-on and pull-off notes look. they look too similar to regular notes and its confusing. maybe im just used to the guitar hero look. hopefully ill get used to it the more i play.
post #1100 of 12395 Old 01-24-2008, 06:43 AM

The HO/POs are definitely easier to see on GH, but you do start to pick them out with more ease the more you play.
post #1101 of 12395 Old 01-24-2008, 02:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ileff View Post

Well, I'm stuck on 104/105 Hard Guitar songs. I can't get the hang of the start of joker and the thief. Maybe I should delete it, hehe

I finally beat that one on Expert last night--and failed out (at 10% or so) probably 20 times first.
It's like this: Learn to play that lick. No tricks, no shortcuts, no excuses, no arguments, end of discussion.
When you can play that lick without overdrive (as you HAVE to in the beginning), you can complete the song.
If you can't, the beginning of the song is a big fat brick wall.

--Dwayne
post #1102 of 12395 Old 01-24-2008, 02:22 PM
Advanced Member

Here's a tip:

For difficult songs with wacky rhythms (like Vasoline), try this:

Go into vocals and practice the song. Turn the singer's voice all the way down and don't sing. Just listen.

I've found this to be a handy way to listen to an instrumental version of the song to just hear how it's supposed to sound.

--Dwayne
post #1103 of 12395 Old 01-24-2008, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zechman View Post

Here's a tip:

For difficult songs with wacky rhythms (like Vasoline), try this:

Go into vocals and practice the song. Turn the singer's voice all the way down and don't sing. Just listen.

I've found this to be a handy way to listen to an instrumental version of the song to just hear how it's supposed to sound.

--Dwayne

That, sir, is genius! I will definitely be using that to pick out some of the strange drum rhythms.
post #1104 of 12395 Old 01-24-2008, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I have a playlist on my ipod with the whole songlist of the game plus all the downloads I've got so I can listen in my car.
post #1105 of 12395 Old 01-24-2008, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by the red worm View Post

I have a playlist on my ipod with the whole songlist of the game plus all the downloads I've got so I can listen in my car.

I was thinking about signing up for Rhapsody again so that I could do that!

(I don't know if I can stand the RealPlayer experience again, though. )
post #1106 of 12395 Old 01-25-2008, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member

Stand-along instruments for Rock Band available February 12:

$79.99 for drum kit
$59.99 for guitar

Somewhat pricey IMO, especially since no mention of wireless for guitar
post #1107 of 12395 Old 01-25-2008, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
it is a wireless guitar, don't know if it'll be xbox or dongle.
post #1108 of 12395 Old 01-25-2008, 11:14 AM
Advanced Member

Ok... stupid question.

How can I enable a microphone on the drum kit so I can chat with other bandmates in player match multiplayer mode?

I tried connecting the cable to the port on the front of the drum kit... then the wireless headset that you could normally plug into a controller I plugged into the other half of that cable connected to the drum kit.

Nobody can hear me. What am I doing wrong?

Also... since I play with dual ear headphones all the time for this game... are there or is there any way I can hook up a set of dual can headphones that have a mic attached and be able to hear all the sounds on the game + other people's voices and be able to talk to them back?
post #1109 of 12395 Old 01-25-2008, 12:22 PM
Advanced Member

On an unrelated note... it looks like my replacement drum pads already showed up!

I filled out online form for Express RMA on the 23rd. They shipped from KY 2nd day air on the 24th. They are now showing Delivered on UPS website today the 25th.

This has to be record timing for a drum kit.
post #1110 of 12395 Old 01-25-2008, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Does anybody have any recommendations on voice training? Any software or YouTube video series or anything. I just effing suck at singing. I have no delusions of turning into a great singer, but I should be able to get to "passable" with some kind of practice, to where it isn't painful to hear.

When I try the vocal solo career on Easy, my wife comes upstairs saying things like "it's not sounding so good up here."

Just trying to sing the RB songs hasn't improved me much. I need some kind of course of study.
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page