The Official Rock Band Discussion Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 12426 Old 11-21-2007, 08:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If you want to try singing while playing the drums or guitar you can. RB comes with an adapter that you can plug your headset into and the other end into either the drums or guitar. Haven't tried it myself though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 12426 Old 11-21-2007, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallskm View Post

If you want to try singing while playing the drums or guitar you can. RB comes with an adapter that you can plug your headset into and the other end into either the drums or guitar. Haven't tried it myself though.

or use a standard controller and put your live headset on

I'm doing band world tour solo playing guitar and singing
post #93 of 12426 Old 11-21-2007, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyboy42 View Post

has anyone had an issue running ROCKBAND for xbox360 in 1080p? I have the Xbox 360 Arcade Edition (has HDMI port) and my settings are set to display in 1080p yet when i run ROCKBAND, the game does not fill the entire screen....it is cut off around the 4 sides. I went to settings and switched from 1080p to 720p and now the screen is full. But the game states on the back that it is compatible in 1080p so why wouldnt it display a full picture??? Has anyone noticed the same? and what could be a reason for this?? Thanks

You need to toggle the game's overscan setting. Go to options, and the manual calibrate option. Skip past the first two audio sync/lag settings and you'll find a checkbox that removes the black borders.

By the way, is anyone having mic lag issues on their system when the Dolby Digital option is enabled?
post #94 of 12426 Old 11-21-2007, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by alougher View Post

And more importantly, how the hell did you convince your wives to play?!

That was easy, I showed her the singing part on a song she liked. She then wanted to try it and got hooked after the first song. I do agree the singing is fun, even though I suck at it. I cant get the high pitch right.

Hapi -"Lazy......cuz he's a boss like that"

mphfrom77 - "I'm an idiot."

benjamin-benjami - http://www.avsforum.com/t/1476721/battlefield-4/7200_100#post_24609271
post #95 of 12426 Old 11-21-2007, 09:08 AM

tried it plugging in directly to guitar/drums, but only works for talking during XBL, can't get it to register for singing b/c it doesn't register as another player (i.e. "the singer"). I'll have to try it in a controller, but that probably won't be easy to manage playing guitar while singing via a headset hanging off a controller

Brian W
post #96 of 12426 Old 11-21-2007, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbi7 View Post

tried it plugging in directly to guitar/drums, but only works for talking during XBL, can't get it to register for singing b/c it doesn't register as another player (i.e. "the singer"). I'll have to try it in a controller, but that probably won't be easy to manage playing guitar while singing via a headset hanging off a controller

I was having trouble with this last night. Did anyone else notice that in order for the another person to sing, a controller has to be connected?

PSN & Xbox 360 Gamertag: dboss007
post #97 of 12426 Old 11-21-2007, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

it's not too bad, the problem is if you don't know the words to a song while playing guitar/singing
post #98 of 12426 Old 11-21-2007, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_in_SoCal View Post

My microphone is dead out of the box.

EA is supposedly shipping me a new one, but it'll be the weekend before it has a chance of getting here.

Did you use it with a controller? I thought this at first and found out you have to have a controller on for the mic to work since it doesnt have any buttons on it.

Xbox: SchwedyBalz (Microsoft made me change it, again)
PS3: SchwettyBalz

Go Jackets!
Go Bolts!
post #99 of 12426 Old 11-21-2007, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallskm View Post

I think that is just for the purpose of chatting while you play online. If you want to do both, you would prob have to have another controller connected with the mic on that controller.

Does anyone know what happens if the wireless controller automatically shuts off (due to inactivity) in the middle of a song?

Xbox: SchwedyBalz (Microsoft made me change it, again)
PS3: SchwettyBalz

Go Jackets!
Go Bolts!
post #100 of 12426 Old 11-21-2007, 09:43 AM
Advanced Member

Does anyone know what other mics work with RB?
post #101 of 12426 Old 11-21-2007, 09:55 AM

Quote:

i'm pretty sure any USB mic would work. i don't see anything special w/ the RB branded mic.

Xbox Live: ChestR0ckWell23 (that's a zero after the R)
PSN: VeeArSix
post #102 of 12426 Old 11-21-2007, 09:57 AM

Quote:

yeah, I think it shouldn't matter, however I have seen one advertised Logitech Vantage or something like that that does say "works with RB" on ebworld

Brian W
post #103 of 12426 Old 11-21-2007, 09:57 AM

picked up Rock Band yesterday as an early Xmas present for my daughters and myself. Honestly so far I'm pretty disappointed.

Out of the box the Mic is dead. The 360 doesn't see it as plugged in no matter how I connect it.

The guitar looks great, is the sturdiest yet but absolutely sucks in regards to the strum bar. I'm a down-strummer only and the thing doesn't recognize half my strums. As an example on Seven I only got 73% complete. I switched to the guitar from GHIII and hit 100%.

The drums don't seem to register all hits, especially on multi-note segments. And I really wish they would have dropped or really limited the use of the kick-drum on easy.

As far as game play goes. It's pretty obvious no one on the team is colorblind! When I go into overdrive it is very difficult to see the notes as they approach the target box. The scoring seems wonky, I've gotten only 3 stars on a song with 97% complete and 4 stars on a song with only 71% complete, Weird!

Overall I like the set list much better than GHIII but on guitar anyway they just don't seem fun to play for the most part until you reach the tune by Boston. Before that it just seems to be mostly repetitive notes for the majority of the songs.

I'll have to hold off on how well it plays as a group, since my Mic is dead and the learning curve on the drums is rough.
post #104 of 12426 Old 11-21-2007, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

I think 99% of people that say their mic is dead are unaware of how to use it. Do you have a controller (not the drums or guitars) hooked up to the 360 for the mic? Or are you *just* plugging in the mic?

Steam/XBL/PSN: thejokell
post #105 of 12426 Old 11-21-2007, 10:00 AM

^you do have an additional controller turned on and connected for use with the mic correct??

Brian W
post #106 of 12426 Old 11-21-2007, 10:04 AM

is it me or did EA way overhype this? I saw copies upon copies of rockband at every store. best buy had a pile of over 100 of them! i got mine at CC - they actually let me stack coupons.

this was definately a "staged shortage"....

Panasonic 50PX50U 50" Plasma
Westy W3213 32" LCD
Optoma HD70 Projector

Pioneer 1015-TX
Athena AS-F2.2 (Mains), C1 (Center), B1 (Rears)
Acoustec H100 Sub

(Gamer Tag - ICE NY)
post #107 of 12426 Old 11-21-2007, 10:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeArSix View Post

i'm pretty sure any USB mic would work. i don't see anything special w/ the RB branded mic.

But doesnt the fact that you have to tap it mean it has some additional sensor inside?
post #108 of 12426 Old 11-21-2007, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rclifton View Post

The guitar looks great, is the sturdiest yet but absolutely sucks in regards to the strum bar. I'm a down-strummer only and the thing doesn't recognize half my strums. As an example on Seven I only got 73% complete. I switched to the guitar from GHIII and hit 100%.

I'm having the same issue with my guitar, I down strum only and it doesn't register all notes, even really easy ones. Then when there are tons of notes in rapid succession it's just impossible. I also find my strumming hand getting tired very quickly, where it would never tire on guitar hero. Also, I think the overdrive sensor in mine is broken. It never activates when I tilt the guitar up, but then it'll activate randomly while playing with the guitar almost flat. It works just as it should when I use my Xplorer guitar though.

I haven't played the drums myself yet, but my friend (who is a real life drummer) was playing them on Hard and seemed to have no issues.
post #109 of 12426 Old 11-21-2007, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

But doesnt the fact that you have to tap it mean it has some additional sensor inside?

nope the tap makes a disticnt Plosive sound that you can actually recreate with your voice if you want to sing and play guitar or drums at the same time. and yep the mic is just a slightly modified logitech mic. any usb mic works. Well HMX said, "Every usb mic we've tried has worked and that counts for about 50 different brands).
post #110 of 12426 Old 11-21-2007, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejokell View Post

I think 99% of people that say their mic is dead are unaware of how to use it. Do you have a controller (not the drums or guitars) hooked up to the 360 for the mic? Or are you *just* plugging in the mic?

I'm aware that a controller needs to be plugged in for the Mic. If you go to the EA website to do an exchange there are trouble-shooting steps you have to click through before you can order a replacement. For anyone not aware that a controller needs to be connected prior to that, they will once they try and get a replacement.

Anyway, as I said. My Mic is dead, the 360 never sees it as connected. Plugged into the Hub or straight to the 360 doesn't make a difference. With the Live! Headset it works just fine tho.
post #111 of 12426 Old 11-21-2007, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Picked it up yesterday and love it! I dont have many friends and the ones I do have dont play games The only reason I really bought this is for the drums since I cant set my real set up anymore due to our new house being so much smaller. I figured this would be the next best thing. Coming from drumming for 17 years to this, the only problem was the limited kit you have to work with and the fact that some of the pads change during a song so its not always consistent. That said, its still a blast and if you really want to play drums, this will teach you! You definetley need a drum throne for the drums as it feels more natural. I was sitting on the couch for about 1hr and got sick of it and drug my drum throne out, soooo much better!

1 Gripe, unless your using headphones or have the volume up loud, the tapping of the sticks on heads gets annoying. I tried my nylon tipped sticks and that did NOT help at all. Best thing I can say is using mallets like you would a Timpani or something or wrapping the sticks in cotton. That being said, I cant wait to play Tom Sawyer :P
post #112 of 12426 Old 11-21-2007, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhyvven View Post

Yes...it would be. I haven't seen the singing portion but I believe it scrolls the lyrics across. Not sure how you "play" that role in the game either. So unless you knew the lyrics verbatim for every song (thus allowing you to focus on the notes for the instruments), not sure how a "novice" would be able to both at the same time.
Heck...some "real pros" can't do it well on stage....

Singing is handled by a note scroll across the top of the screen. It has a line, just like the other instruments, but flows from right to the left, not from the top to the bottom. Words are shown and their note changes indicated by lines across the music bar.

A singer tries to hit the pitch changes and lyrics for a 'phrase'...for example: "If I stay there will be trou-ble..." is a phrase. You are graded on how well you hit the pitch and timing and scored appropriately. If the phrase is glowing, you get Overdrive (i.e. Star Power). You can trigger it when you get to a certain kind of music bar by doing a yell or appropriately loud noise (I prefer "Yow!" myself) and then, just like a guitar, you get a multiplier bonus for a period of time.

It's possible to do both, but you'd have to know the song fairly well and when the Overdrive trigger points are in that song, so that you could mostly ignore that bar. I expect it would ramp up the difficulty by a BIG notch.
post #113 of 12426 Old 11-21-2007, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member

Dumb question on solo-quickplay mode, what are the blue circles next to the song? Also, do you have to complete the song over a certain % as I'm playing all the songs to completion but not unlocking the other tiers?
post #114 of 12426 Old 11-21-2007, 11:39 AM

Quote:

Dumb question on solo-quickplay mode, what are the blue circles next to the song? Also, do you have to complete the song over a certain % as I'm playing all the songs to completion but not unlocking the other tiers?

I believe the blue circle indicates a bonus track. You have to play through solo tour to unlock songs for quickplay.
post #115 of 12426 Old 11-21-2007, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
My drum kit was dead out of the box and my guitar strum physically sticks...EA is sending me replacements for both by 2-day air but I'm sure they won't get it out today which would make it take until Monday to get them
post #116 of 12426 Old 11-21-2007, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 63
HOLY SHOOT the pedal is UGLY on med! WAY overboard compared to easy. Its not a gradual increase its a friggan WALL!

And since you can only progress so far on easy thats quite a slap in the fact to your fun (IMHO)

From 98% on a song on easy to failing it on med...

Frank J. Cone

XBox Live / Steam: FCONE

Please do not form any opinion of the content of this post, it is still in BETA.

post #117 of 12426 Old 11-21-2007, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

I never fooled myself into thinking I had much rhythm..but playing drums on this makes it painfully obvious.

xbox live/PSN: Chad473
post #118 of 12426 Old 11-21-2007, 12:27 PM

guitar on med seems way too easy (and I was never that great on GH), but I'll never make it further cause I can't hit that damn orange button to save my life

Brian W
post #119 of 12426 Old 11-21-2007, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

guitar on med seems way too easy (and I was never that great on GH), but I'll never make it further cause I can't hit that damn orange button to save my life

Just keep trying. It's much easier to switch over to RYBO on the RB guitar than on the old GH guitars since you can just slide your fingers instead of lifting them up and over the buttons.
post #120 of 12426 Old 11-21-2007, 12:57 PM
Advanced Member

While we're on the topic I'll ask some advice: When progressing to using the orange fret, do most of you play with your index on green and slide down the neck or play with index on red and slide on chords. For example, I have been playing for months on med (GH2/3) and am only now beginning to use orange, which is a lot easier in RB by the way so I see RB as the middle ground between med - hard on GH, but have been using my index on green all this time. Now I am trying to retrain with index on red and so use index for green/red, middle on yellow, blue ring and pinky orange. So for green then red notes I hit green with index then red with index rather than use index then middle. If green/red combo i use index/middle. I'm just finding it difficult using different combinations and find myself sliding all over the place, although using index on red as a starting point makes it a lot easier to get to orange. Note sure if I just made any sense..
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page