post #12421 of 12426 Old 08-11-2014, 05:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 968 Post(s)
Liked: 771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Flatus View Post
I use two USB sticks, one with my normal Xbox Live gamertag and Rock Band title update 5, the other with a different non-Gold gamertag and RB TU4 on it. I keep all my real DLC and exports on the hard drive and put all the customs on the second stick with TU4. That way I have separate save files.

I did something similar, except that I didn't see a reason to use a different profile than my normal online one. I copied my save file and song cache to one stick, and have another save file, song cache, TU4 and the customs on the other stick (and some hardware settings file the Score Hero instructions told me to copy). I put the first stick in when I want to play the game without customs and start the GoD version, which has TU5 built in. When I want to play with customs I put the 2nd stick in and start the game from disc. When I start the disc it wants to install the update and I decline, at which point it logs me out of Live and continues otherwise normally.

I suppose using separate profiles there would be less danger of accidentally deleting a save file if the wrong stick was installed.

BTW, people who want to try this should use the bulkiest flash drives possible. The 360's front USB connections are recessed, making the smaller drives more difficult to plug in. I have a tiny 16 GB drive (like this) that I couldn't find and I'm glad. I bought one of these and its probably the shortest stick I'd want to deal with; the rear end of it only barely sticks out. (It doesn't need anything like 16 GB for a couple of save files, but I used the Xbox customize option to minimize the storage reserved for Xbox use so that I can use the rest for other things if I want).

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12422 of 12426 Old 08-12-2014, 02:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I'm having a lot of fun with these customs--thanks for mentioning it, Christopher_H! 120 new songs really breathes new life into the game for me. 14 of them even have built-in pro g/b charts; I may have to dust off my Squier .

I should spend some time combing through that list and listen to some of the songs that I'm not familiar with on Google Music.

post #12423 of 12426 Old 08-18-2014, 10:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I forgot the things that TU5 fixed; I just ran into the "pushing a crate into a truck" freeze this afternoon . Also the increase in highway opacity was a wonderful innovation.

Turned out that keys-on-guitar unlock required 5S'ing a certain number of RB3 basic guitar charts . The "Guitar Immortal" goal was supposed to require 50 5S'd songs (medium difficulty at a minimum) but it let me have it at 43; whatever.

I'd completely forgotten the goals system.

post #12424 of 12426 Old 08-23-2014, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I must be missing something, or my Party Buffalo isn't working properly. It runs just fine, opens the XBox USB stick, but I can't figure out a way to transfer files to it from my pc. Drag n drop isn't allowed, and PB doesn't seem to show any 'normal' files on the USB drive.

bg
post #12425 of 12426 Old 08-23-2014, 04:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garciab View Post
I must be missing something, or my Party Buffalo isn't working properly. It runs just fine, opens the XBox USB stick, but I can't figure out a way to transfer files to it from my pc. Drag n drop isn't allowed, and PB doesn't seem to show any 'normal' files on the USB drive.

You should have first prepared things by copying your RB save file, song cache and hardware settings (something like that) file onto two separate flash drives using the Xbox settings->system->storage dialogs; if you normally play the game from disc (not the GoD digital download), copy "Rock Band 3 Title Update #5 " onto the flash drive that you won't be using for the customs. Delete those files from the HDD (if "Rock Band 3 Title Update #5 " is there, make sure to delete it from the HDD, whether you copied it onto a flash drive or not). In Party Buffalo, after opening the device that you're going to use for the customs, you'll see two directories, being "Data" and "Cache". Open "Data" and then open every folder at the top until you get to an RB save file folder and can see the save file, song cache, etc that you copied onto the drive on the Xbox. Then mouse over that list of files and right-click, choosing "inject new file". That will bring up a dialog to select a file; browse to the directory where you have the downloaded customs, select all of them and click OPEN; that will copy them onto the drive one by one. Also copy the Title Update 4 file into that directory on the flash drive using the same method.

Plug the flash drive with the customs into your Xbox (with the other one not plugged in) and start the game from the disc. It will log you out of XBL and ask you to update; hit CANCEL. (This will happen every time). At some point it will tell you that the save file is incompatible with that version; let it replace it. You may also be asked to recalibrate; if you don't the audio and video lag settings will be zero and you probably won't be able to play properly.

At that point you should be golden. Enjoy the customs. Since you're not online, you won't be able to compare your scores to your friends or even see your top numeric scores for any song (it knows them, but it can't show you without displaying the leaderboard for the song which it can't do offline).

As I posted above you'll have to play some RB3 on-disc songs before you'll be able to play basic keys on a 5-button guitar, if you're interested in doing that. I've downloaded 182 of the customs and worked my way through the guitar and bass charts and am now working through the keys charts of the 125 of them which have keys.

To play online, remove the flash drive with the customs on it, plug the other one in and start the game from either disc or the download version, if you have that.

(You can see another version of these steps in a scorehero.com forums post, here).

Last edited by michaeltscott; 08-25-2014 at 05:33 PM.
post #12426 of 12426 Old 08-24-2014, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Thank you sir! Got it working thanks to your extra pointers.

bg
Reply Xbox Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page