post #1531 of 12395 Old 03-06-2008, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandShark22 View Post

Although I did get in the zone last night and got 99%, 98K on Interstate Love Song. Was out of the blue, since my previous high score was like 75K. So maybe there's hope yet

I haven't conquered Interstate Love Song on Expert yet either... but I'm really enjoying Sex Type Thing -- it's such a simple, strong beat that's fun to pound. And when the crazy footwork fills happens, it's fun to just throw some random kicks to see if I get lucky. I think I actually nailed it once or twice too.

Sub-1080p/60fps is not next-gen.

Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming? Click here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1532 of 12395 Old 03-06-2008, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by logicalnoise View Post

I have the disk, PM me and I'll try to send it out tomarrow.

OK, I sent my info in a PM. Thanks logicalnoise. Maybe next time I'll have something non-stock to play with you . I plan on buying some tracks this weekend, as I'm having a real tough time getting through songs on hard, but I'd like some new stuff to play. I'm getting killed by the alternating kick drum and R/Y combo that shows up late in "Here We Go Again" and "Reptilia". I managed to make it through the OK Go song, but that pattern shows up for a much longer time on "Reptilia". Hopefully I'll get through that, as I've tried a few later songs on hard and found them easier than this.

I'm seeing the same thing that Harmonix had a problem with (and fixed in RB) when going from medium to hard in the GH games. They introduce too many things at once along with the speed increase from medium to hard on drums, I think.
post #1533 of 12395 Old 03-06-2008, 08:07 AM
EJ1

I can't wait for the At The Gates track. Finally, some metal I want.
post #1534 of 12395 Old 03-06-2008, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

Good to hear it worked out well for you Scottro! Did you get the tan 1/8" pads?

Speaking of rolls, I agree that rolls and fills are two things that really elude me. These don't seem to improve much with RockBand practice, at least for me.

I think it would be cool if Harmonix would put together DLC "lesson songs" that don't focus on music, but concentrate on each of the basic drumming tricks -- like rolls, fills, advanced footwork, etc.. These training sessions would also be good warmups, because there's some songs I've found I do much better after playing for 10 minutes or so.

Got the 1/8" red ones, but same difference.
Rolls are tough...I only have so much rhythm. But in the last week or so it's finally starting to click for me. At least on the slower patterns...as long as I hit the pad and not the plastic ring. Amongst my RB friends we call that "milk crating" b/c it sounds like you're pounding on a plastic milk crate.

Great idea about the DLC "lessons" - the tutorials are enough to get you started but having specialized practice lessons would be helpful to work on general technique.

By the way, the fact that this is all a little bit ridiculous is not lost on me.
post #1535 of 12395 Old 03-06-2008, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:

I haven't conquered Interstate Love Song on Expert yet either... but I'm really enjoying Sex Type Thing -- it's such a simple, strong beat that's fun to pound. And when the crazy footwork fills happens, it's fun to just throw some random kicks to see if I get lucky. I think I actually nailed it once or twice too.

This is also fun on guitar.....there is no solo in the song so its mostly just rythim, but you can rock out and memorize the fingering in no time...walk around your room, no looking at the screen...impress your pets...

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

post #1536 of 12395 Old 03-06-2008, 10:49 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 17
I just bought Rock Band a little over 1 week ago. I have to share my first big accomplishment:

I read through this entire thread on Expert level and hit 80% of the posts. Unfortunately, I gained no fans and no money. But I feel the effort was more difficult any old Expert drum track.

Phew. Now I can get back to playing the game.
post #1537 of 12395 Old 03-06-2008, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadRusch View Post

This is also fun on guitar.....there is no solo in the song so its mostly just rythim, but you can rock out and memorize the fingering in no time...walk around your room, no looking at the screen...impress your pets...

Sadly for me...my pet is too smart to be so easily impressed =P
post #1538 of 12395 Old 03-06-2008, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by RafaelSmith View Post

Sadly for me...my pet is too smart to be so easily impressed =P

My cats like to sit on the edge of the couch watching the notes scroll down. I think they also mock me when I get out of rhythm on "Won't Get Folled Again" on drums, though.
post #1539 of 12395 Old 03-06-2008, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 83
I tried getting my dog to do vocals but she gave me that WTF? look.
post #1540 of 12395 Old 03-06-2008, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Sweet, I got my forum name changed to my gamertag.
post #1541 of 12395 Old 03-06-2008, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You have to squeeze her like the Pink Floyd guy does by the docks in the super-8 video of "Seamus".
post #1542 of 12395 Old 03-06-2008, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Did you try putting peanut butter on the mic?

My love is bigger than your love. Sing it!
post #1543 of 12395 Old 03-06-2008, 09:53 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
i just beat the solo drum tour on medium today after about 2 days of playing. working on hard career now.
post #1544 of 12395 Old 03-07-2008, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

I got the 1/8" red gum rubber pads, and man do they quiet the set down. I'm a little concerned that my rolls on my red pad are not working as well as they used to. I went in to practice the beginning of Orange Crush on hard and it seems like I can hit all the notes, but on expert it seems like I'm dropping a lot of the red notes. Maybe I'm just imagining things. I don't have near the trouble doing rolls on the other three pads, though. It definitely didn't reduce the sensitivity, as I can have a very light hit still register, so I'm at a loss for what's going on. Maybe when I do rolls I'm hitting more off-center and it has reduced sensitivity there. I'll have to check that out. I guess I'll wait to see if there's a new magical drum kit released at some point to maybe RMA mine.
post #1545 of 12395 Old 03-07-2008, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrisg View Post

I'm a little concerned that my rolls on my red pad are not working as well as they used to.

Ferrisg... check my observations in post #1495. So far it seems to be working.

post #1546 of 12395 Old 03-07-2008, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
no dlc announcement until monday

HMXJohnlok wrote:

No, no kidding here. DLC releases are very difficult to project in advance - take the projected dates from OXM for example.

The DLC itself is good to go, we just have to push the announcement off until Monday.

xbl/gamecenter: leff4
psn/twitter: ileff
my app: video poker clock
post #1547 of 12395 Old 03-07-2008, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ferrisg... check my observations in post #1495. So far it seems to be working.

And I even read that the first time you posted it. I feel dumb. That sounds like exactly what's going on with me. Did you tape both sides, or only the side you're showing? I wonder if electrical tape would hold up as well. It'd be a lot less obtrusive . They can make electrical tape in every color under the sun, why not duct tape?

Thanks for pointing that out to me again. I'll definitely give that a shot tonight. I'd offer to score duel you, but I know that at this point you'd school me (seeing as you've actually gotten through the hard career and I still can't beat Reptilia to move on to the 4th tier).
post #1548 of 12395 Old 03-07-2008, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ileff View Post

The DLC itself is good to go, we just have to push the announcement off until Monday. [/i]

That bit is pretty interesting. I wonder what they are dealing with right up until the week of release. Surely not licensing issues. Maybe so. Maybe they've got a fairly large collection of songs done and they release each week based on what licensing deals they can get done.
post #1549 of 12395 Old 03-07-2008, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:

I got the 1/8" red gum rubber pads, and man do they quiet the set down. I'm a little concerned that my rolls on my red pad are not working as well as they used to. I went in to practice the beginning of Orange Crush on hard and it seems like I can hit all the notes, but on expert it seems like I'm dropping a lot of the red notes. Maybe I'm just imagining things. I don't have near the trouble doing rolls on the other three pads, though. It definitely didn't reduce the sensitivity, as I can have a very light hit still register, so I'm at a loss for what's going on. Maybe when I do rolls I'm hitting more off-center and it has reduced sensitivity there. I'll have to check that out. I guess I'll wait to see if there's a new magical drum kit released at some point to maybe RMA mine.

Its probably the kit and needs to be RMAed. Im on my second drum set and ive noticed on expert or hard where quickness with 1/16 notes are required, it stutters and skips every 4th or 5th one. Does the RMA only cover up to 60 days after purcase or could I RMA again? Last time I did it they never asked for proof i dont think.
post #1550 of 12395 Old 03-07-2008, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

I have a question I'm sure has already been asked but if someone can answer again I'd appreciate it. Is the Guitar Hero III guitar compatible with RockBand?

XBOX 360-RY35AN
PS3-RY35AN
post #1551 of 12395 Old 03-07-2008, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Did you tape both sides, or only the side you're showing? I wonder if electrical tape would hold up as well.

I bet it would... I just grabbed anything to reduce the "wobble" of the floating pad. The tape was just one piece on the outside edge. Report back what you find.

Quote:

I'd offer to score duel you, but I know that at this point you'd school me

Probably not... I have yet to win a multiplayer match in RB.

post #1552 of 12395 Old 03-07-2008, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RY35AN View Post

I have a question I'm sure has already been asked but if someone can answer again I'd appreciate it. Is the Guitar Hero III guitar compatible with RockBand?

360 yes
PS3 no

Steam/XBL/PSN: thejokell
post #1553 of 12395 Old 03-07-2008, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

That bit is pretty interesting. I wonder what they are dealing with right up until the week of release. Surely not licensing issues. Maybe so. Maybe they've got a fairly large collection of songs done and they release each week based on what licensing deals they can get done.

GH is giving away free Dropkick Murphys content in the next week or two, its possible they are responding to that somehow and have to rework the arrangement before they announce free or a price reduction?

All in all Rock Band's DLC kills GH, but at some point it would be nice to get a freebie or two.
post #1554 of 12395 Old 03-07-2008, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Probably not... I have yet to win a multiplayer match in RB.

Liar, though your were on hard and I was on expert.
post #1555 of 12395 Old 03-07-2008, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyM View Post

GH is giving away free Dropkick Murphys content in the next week or two, its possible they are responding to that somehow and have to rework the arrangement before they announce free or a price reduction?

All in all Rock Band's DLC kills GH, but at some point it would be nice to get a freebie or two.

the freebie was the OXM songs though you had to pay 10 bucks to get the "free songs".
post #1556 of 12395 Old 03-07-2008, 03:11 PM

Liked: 93
The free Guitar Hero stuff is pretty rad. As I said over in the GH thread, that is a smart way to make DLC. Charge advertising dollars to promote new albums and whatnot, instead of charging the end user. It works great in the GH world, as I would never pay for GH DLC already owning Rock Band.

For Rock Band on the other hand, I don't see them ever really offering free tracks. I'm sure they don't want to devalue their for-pay DLC, and that is exactly what free tracks do. Yes, there were the OXM tracks, but really those carried a $10 price with them. Even when the disc was passed around, people would think to themselves "My buddy payed $3 a track for these".
post #1557 of 12395 Old 03-07-2008, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

It doesn't really devalue the for-pay DLC if the free tracks are from lesser known bands that otherwise might not sell. I'd probably pay $2 for the right Dropkicks songs but I doubt many would (and for the record the GH ones are not the right ones ). At some point there will be more competition to get bands in the game and that will likely come with record company or MTV influence - I'm sure the $1 songs for Christmas probably had some nice kickbacks from the labels to get them in the game so early.
post #1558 of 12395 Old 03-07-2008, 05:03 PM

Liked: 93
Free tracks really do devalue the pay tracks, just as cheap tracks devalue expensive ones. Ask a bunch of owners of both RB and GH which game they buy DLC for and the response will overwhelmingly be "Rock Band". Why? Value. RB gives you more play options for a cheaper price. Without RB as a comparison, those same people would actually buy some GH DLC. The same thing will happen if GH moves toward a "free, sponsored tracks" model, it will devalue the $2 Rock Band tracks.

Specificly speaking to the $1 Christmas tracks. I bought all 5 of them and had some fun with them. I also didn't buy anymore tracks in January because $2 felt like too much comparatively. In February I finally picked up some tracks again, as the $1 price had faded from memory. The next time I go and look at tracks, now that I have been reminded of the $1 price, I probably won't grab any because they are too expensive again. The consumer's mind is very fickle that way.

Not only did the $1 tracks cost Harmonix $10 from me on January, but it is probably going to cost them $10 from me this month now as well. Like I said, devalued.
post #1559 of 12395 Old 03-07-2008, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't know if that goes for everyone James (is it cool to call you James, or do you prefer I address you by your title?). I buy the music I like regardless of cost and don't buy music I don't like. End of story.
post #1560 of 12395 Old 03-07-2008, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyM View Post

I don't know if that goes for everyone James (is it cool to call you James, or do you prefer I address you by your title?). I buy the music I like regardless of cost and don't buy music I don't like. End of story.

same here

I've bought 21 songs and I'm an OXM subscriber so I got those 3 as well.
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page