The Official Rock Band Discussion Thread - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 12426 Old 11-22-2007, 11:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is the general consensus that the guitar parts in this are quite easy? For someone that can 5 star songs on expert of GH2/3? Any comparisons between GH3 and RB for the several songs they share?

I'm renting it from Gamefly at some point to give the guitar part a try. I'm not sure I'll ever get to play BWT mode, since I don't have anyone around to play the game with me. I'm wondering if it's worth dropping the money on just to get the drums. Is the singing any fun in solo mode?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 12426 Old 11-23-2007, 12:23 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrisg View Post

Is the general consensus that the guitar parts in this are quite easy? For someone that can 5 star songs on expert of GH2/3? Any comparisons between GH3 and RB for the several songs they share?

I'm renting it from Gamefly at some point to give the guitar part a try. I'm not sure I'll ever get to play BWT mode, since I don't have anyone around to play the game with me. I'm wondering if it's worth dropping the money on just to get the drums. Is the singing any fun in solo mode?

To me the drums are the best part of RB. The singing is fun but for some reason, it seems drowned out in the music. Perhaps I need to raise the volume on the mic and see if that will take care of it.

Gamertag: BaneAssassin
PSN: BaneAssassin
post #153 of 12426 Old 11-23-2007, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
ferrisg,

the metallica dlc pack would be fun/challenge for you. check youtube for vids.

i'm a huge fan of GH 2 and 3, and i have some ATVI stock, so i'm the biggest GH fanboy out there, but OMG this game is so awesome. they really did take it to the next level.

i bought every dlc for GH2/3 and it always seemed worth it to me, but how are they going to sell dlc now? i think activision/neversoft will really have to get creative and come with some awesome dlc at a cheap price to get the excitement back. the halo theme was a good start, i think the situation is obvious to them too. i hope they come through i want my ATVI shares up a few more buck$....

xbl/gamecenter: leff4
psn/twitter: ileff
my app: video poker clock
post #154 of 12426 Old 11-23-2007, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

generally the song charts are easier for guitar yes. However the mettallica DLC are very very very tough even by GH standards. As for the regular songs on the disc Highway star and the outlaws song both have dominating solos. The tighter timing windows can also make the songs a bit harder to five star.
post #155 of 12426 Old 11-23-2007, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

I am LOVING solo guitar play so far. I've beaten all but two songs on hard (Green Grass and High Tides and Flirtin' With Disaster). That's farther than I've gotten on hard on either of the Guitar Hero games! Gonna take a lot of practice to pass those songs, though.

Lovin the new guitar too.

Steam/XBL/PSN: thejokell
post #156 of 12426 Old 11-23-2007, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdank View Post

I have the same feelings. I guess I should try and get a new on from EA. I really like the Strat. It looks great and the extras (sound select and solo buttons) are things I want to mess with but the strum bar just sucks. Les Paul works great.

Ive noticed this downstrum issue too however, I figured out that if I slap it like a bass guitar with my thumb it works just fine. Another issue for me though is the damn snare drum pad (far left one). WTF is up with it. If I hit 16th notes it registers every 3rd one or so. F-ing ridiculous. I really noticed this on the later songs where you get the double taps goin.
post #157 of 12426 Old 11-23-2007, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrisg View Post

I didn't find GH3 all that fun, because of how they jack up the songs just to make them harder, espeically Tier 7. I traded it in for Rock Band. I find Rock Band a lot more fun to play. While Rock Band is easier, it's not real easy, it's just not jacked up like GH3.
post #158 of 12426 Old 11-23-2007, 10:08 PM

Anyone here have a problem with their drums registering notes? If I have to hit Red and Yellow at the same time, about 20-30% of the time it only registers one of them, and it's random which one it drops. I tried this on a practice mode slowed down to 50% to give a huge window to hit the beats. I can hit red then yellow quick enough to register both on the same line, but if I hit them exactly it tends to drop one of them.

I'm going to RMA it after I get my guitar controller returned (overdrive failed to work correctly on it)
post #159 of 12426 Old 11-23-2007, 11:28 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by soleblaze View Post

Anyone here have a problem with their drums registering notes? If I have to hit Red and Yellow at the same time, about 20-30% of the time it only registers one of them, and it's random which one it drops. I tried this on a practice mode slowed down to 50% to give a huge window to hit the beats. I can hit red then yellow quick enough to register both on the same line, but if I hit them exactly it tends to drop one of them.

I'm going to RMA it after I get my guitar controller returned (overdrive failed to work correctly on it)

My daughter was complaining about the same thing. It's kinda hard for me to test as with the exception of my thumb I'm paralyzed in my right hand and since she's only 4 I was thinking it might be her. I finally had a friend come over today and yes, my Red/Yellow pads have serious issues registering simultaneous hits. In fact the Red pad seems to have issues in general with registering hits at all.

I'm really disappointed hardware wise at this point, the strum bar on my guitar is utter garbage, Mic was dead right outta the box and I guess the drums will need to be RMA'd as well now. Good thing the guitar from GH3 works as well as the Live! headset so at least my oldest daughter and I can get some play time in.
post #160 of 12426 Old 11-24-2007, 01:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejokell View Post

I am LOVING solo guitar play so far. I've beaten all but two songs on hard (Green Grass and High Tides and Flirtin' With Disaster). That's farther than I've gotten on hard on either of the Guitar Hero games! Gonna take a lot of practice to pass those songs, though.

Lovin the new guitar too.

Flirtin With Disaster was TOUGH, I was low red at several points and flirted with disaster as well but pulled it off after a few runs
post #161 of 12426 Old 11-24-2007, 05:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by soleblaze View Post

Same issue for me as well. If you hit the Red harder it will register on those notes. I will be sending it back after the holidays.

I know its called Rock Band, but does anyone else think that they should have included some other Genre's? My wife loves the singing aspect but she is slowly getting turned away by not knowing the songs (not good since she is our singer of the band). She was mentioning this and after I thought about it there are some songs out there that I think people would really like to sing that have some great beats. Just a thought.

Hapi -"Lazy......cuz he's a boss like that"

mphfrom77 - "I'm an idiot."

benjamin-benjami - http://www.avsforum.com/t/1476721/battlefield-4/7200_100#post_24609271
post #162 of 12426 Old 11-24-2007, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

>>she is slowly getting turned away by not knowing the songs

how about getting the Police dlc pack?

first couple of tries on an unfamiliar song are awkward, but then you do know the song and it should get better. but i know what you mean, everyone does have their favorite genres... rockband should actually be good for this with their aggressive dlc schedule.

shame to see so many people have hardware issues, i seem to be ok so far. the software is absolutely amazing. hopefully some 1.1 version hardware can come soon.

post #163 of 12426 Old 11-24-2007, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

My hardware is working beautifully!! Sorry to hear about some of you having problems. I never played Guitar Hero but damn, this Rock band game is LOADS of fun. My gf and I are learning and having fun with this game! I don't think I'll be getting past easy anytime soon, lol.

post #164 of 12426 Old 11-24-2007, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

>>I never played Guitar Hero but damn, this Rock band game is LOADS of fun.

When you see a good deal on GH2&3 grab them too, they are a blast and then you'll have a bass guitar.

post #165 of 12426 Old 11-24-2007, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Since unpacking I've suspected my drums were a bit wonky. I blamed it on my skills to start with, but now I'm not so sure. Seems like out of no where my streak will stop for a bad note. This happens on the easy rythm sections and I'm feeling it's the hardware now. As I've gotten better, I just notice it registering a bad note for no reason on some parts. Seems to be the left two when I'm playing during a verse (the basic rhythm thats in most every song).
post #166 of 12426 Old 11-24-2007, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ileff View Post

>>I never played Guitar Hero but damn, this Rock band game is LOADS of fun.

When you see a good deal on GH2&3 grab them too, they are a blast and then you'll have a bass guitar.

I sure will. I know I will be needing a bass guitar when I invite over some friends.

post #167 of 12426 Old 11-24-2007, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I just whipped out my old Metallica albums after watching some youtube on the DLC for them and man.....brought back many memories of my youth. What better music for teenage angst, lol!! Anyway, they def need to bring these Metallica songs to RB via DLC Metallica pack 2 if possible....

1. Battery (RIDICULOUS!!)
2. Shortest Straw
3. Fight fire with fire
4. Creeping Death
5. The Four Horsemen
6. Seek and Destroy
7. Through the never

post #168 of 12426 Old 11-24-2007, 12:09 PM

Does anybody know if there is ever going to be any Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd songs for download?
post #169 of 12426 Old 11-24-2007, 11:16 PM
Advanced Member

What are you guys using for your audio settings? I'm still stunned that Dolby Digital wasn't enabled by default, but maybe it's a mastering issue. Also, what's the consensus on "Bass Boost" (will mostly play drums while my wife sings or plays guitar). I have an Onkyo 7.1 if that changes things...

Thanks!
post #170 of 12426 Old 11-25-2007, 08:26 AM
MBK

I've RMA'd my drums, yellow pad was DOA out of the box.

What's the consensus on the strum bar? I have a really hard time hitting streams of fast notes with the strat, something I didn't find that tough while downstrumming only on guitar hero. Am I looking at a learning curve or a hardware issue?

Gamertag (XBL): Boxer Rebel
post #171 of 12426 Old 11-25-2007, 09:43 AM

Did anyone get this from a B&M Costco? I've managed to snag one from BB but I'd much rather get it from Costco. Cheaper and better return policy.

If so, can I get the product number?

XBL Gamertag: shagino
PSN Gamertag: shagino
post #172 of 12426 Old 11-25-2007, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRM584 View Post

Does anybody know if there is ever going to be any Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd songs for download?

both are possible neither announced. the Zep has been actively refusing to do either RB or guitar hero. Pick floyds' camp has been known to be just as picky so. HMX has thousands and thousands of request via their website and I'm sure they've looked into everyone.
post #173 of 12426 Old 11-25-2007, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicalnoise View Post

both are possible neither announced. the Zep has been actively refusing to do either RB or guitar hero. Pick floyds' camp has been known to be just as picky so. HMX has thousands and thousands of request via their website and I'm sure they've looked into everyone.

I think the chance of either band being in any of these games is so close to zero it's not worth talking about. Zeppelin has even less of a chance compared to Floyd.

Steam/XBL/PSN: thejokell
post #174 of 12426 Old 11-25-2007, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Supposedly Harmonix has made major inroads with Led Zeppelin. I could really care less, I'm not a fan even though I tried to get into them during my metal phase.

I'm having a blast, my guitar has some fret button issues so I've put in for a replacement but today it has actually worked fine. Strum bar has no problems. I love the solo buttons and don't want to go back to the Xplorer. I did get all the way through Hard on the first night before I went to visit family for Thanksgiving. Green Grass didn't give me any problems but Molly Hatchet sure did. That solo just kills.

I suck so much at the drums I really wouldn't know if they were busted. Whenever I can test them all my hits register so I assume they are ok and I am the problem. I'm a big guy so I worry about snapping the drum pedal down the road so I'd like to get a metal replacement.

XBox: King Nuthin
post #175 of 12426 Old 11-25-2007, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnytheSkin View Post

What are you guys using for your audio settings? I'm still stunned that Dolby Digital wasn't enabled by default, but maybe it's a mastering issue. Also, what's the consensus on "Bass Boost" (will mostly play drums while my wife sings or plays guitar). I have an Onkyo 7.1 if that changes things...

Thanks!

Dolby introduces processing which can introduce lag. Some have reported getting instrument specific lag using dolby.
post #176 of 12426 Old 11-25-2007, 11:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpe8598 View Post

Dolby introduces processing which can introduce lag. Some have reported getting instrument specific lag using dolby.

Is this confirmed anywhere? We have a distinct delay on the vocals, but when I try to tune it out it makes playing drums much harder.

And how do you boost the vocals? I have the mic volume all the way up and the vocal track way down, but the vocals through the speakers are very muted. Upping the mic gain just makes it overdrive and get fuzzy. I'm about to turn everything else way down and just crank the volume on my amp.

And is there any way to adjust the reverb on the mic input? It's great for giving my lousy voice the "karaoke lounge" effect, but my wife can actually sing so it would be nice to tone down the reverb for her.
post #177 of 12426 Old 11-25-2007, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_in_SoCal View Post

Is this confirmed anywhere? We have a distinct delay on the vocals, but when I try to tune it out it makes playing drums much harder.

And how do you boost the vocals? I have the mic volume all the way up and the vocal track way down, but the vocals through the speakers are very muted. Upping the mic gain just makes it overdrive and get fuzzy. I'm about to turn everything else way down and just crank the volume on my amp.

And is there any way to adjust the reverb on the mic input? It's great for giving my lousy voice the "karaoke lounge" effect, but my wife can actually sing so it would be nice to tone down the reverb for her.

I picked it up from the Rock Band forums on the rock band game website. People specifically mentioned that it was affecting lag on the mic.
post #178 of 12426 Old 11-26-2007, 12:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpe8598 View Post

I picked it up from the Rock Band forums on the rock band game website. People specifically mentioned that it was affecting lag on the mic.

Thanks. That good to know. I'll try switching it off and see what happens.
post #179 of 12426 Old 11-26-2007, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Curious how many have used the Manual A/V calibration in Rock Band?

I have my XBOX 360 hooked up using VGA to a 47" Vizio LCD @1920x1080 res. Optical to my H/K 247 Receiver.

At first I used the preset LCD Calibration setting...seems to work ok...but my girlfriend complains that she often misses notes she shouldnt and that it seems things are out of sync.

So I decided to try the manual calibration.

Either I am doing it wrong or there is something else wrong becuase I get very different numbers each time I do the manual...ranges from -20ms to -54ms...

Anyone know what the values are for the preset settings?

Which instrument should be used to calibrate?...the screens says Strum bar or A.
post #180 of 12426 Old 11-26-2007, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RafaelSmith View Post

Curious how many have used the Manual A/V calibration in Rock Band?

I have my XBOX 360 hooked up using VGA to a 47" Vizio LCD @1920x1080 res. Optical to my H/K 247 Receiver.

At first I used the preset LCD Calibration setting...seems to work ok...but my girlfriend complains that she often misses notes she shouldnt and that it seems things are out of sync.

So I decided to try the manual calibration.

Either I am doing it wrong or there is something else wrong becuase I get very different numbers each time I do the manual...ranges from -20ms to -54ms...

Anyone know what the values are for the preset settings?

Which instrument should be used to calibrate?...the screens says Strum bar or A.

Hmmm, my wife said the same. Am I correct in assuming the calibratio done is global for all instruments?

Also, I can do the "horizontal" cal with the d-pad (I'm at about 45ms), but when I'm asked to do the strum/A it doesn't register for me...

-Steve
Reply Xbox Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page