a question about changing my XBOX LIVE ID - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 11-22-2007, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
My XBOX LIVE ID is xxx GR1MM xxx.I had it since the original XBOX.I want to change it.Will that affect my friends list???
When I change my ID,will it erase my friends list?Cause i`m xxx GR1MM xxx on their friends list.Will my name just change and they`ll see my new name on their friends list???
I have no friends that changed their name on my friends list.

XBOX: xxx GR1MM xxx
PS3: GR1MM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 11-22-2007, 05:02 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently changed my name to one that better suits me. It changed on my friend's lists also.

Oh and your bungie.net profile (if you have one) will hickup a little bit but it will adjust.
post #3 of 13 Old 11-22-2007, 10:03 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Whenever you change your name, it will not modify anything else. What a lot of people seem to do is put their old one in their motto for a while if they are worried people might remove them or not know who they are. Your friends list will remain unchanged and their list will update with your new name automatically.

831 Blu-ray Discs
70 HD DVD Discs
796 DVD's

post #4 of 13 Old 11-23-2007, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I've had quite a few friends change their names in the past six months. They usually send a message to their entire friends list informing them of the name change. Not a bad idea to get the word out that way.

Xbox/PS/WiiU gamertag: GoNats
Apple Game Center: iGoNats

post #5 of 13 Old 11-23-2007, 01:32 PM

Don't you have to pay like $10 to change your name? I swear M$ nickels and dimes for every little tiny thing...

I actually want to start a new name and start my achievements over and keep all the downloads I've payed for. Is there anyway I can do this?
post #6 of 13 Old 11-24-2007, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by random tek hed View Post

Don't you have to pay like $10 to change your name? I swear M$ nickels and dimes for every little tiny thing...

I actually want to start a new name and start my achievements over and keep all the downloads I've payed for. Is there anyway I can do this?

Sure you can. Just open another account.
post #7 of 13 Old 11-24-2007, 09:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTRic View Post

Sure you can. Just open another account.

I'm not sure that would let him keep all the downloads he's paid for.

That's actually something I've been wondering about: I'ld like to open another account for my wife (so she can have her own high scores, acheivements, etc.), but would that mean we'ld have to pay for the same xbox live marketplace games again?

Sooke

Panasonic TC-P60ZT60 plasma panel
Sony BDP-S5100 Blu-ray player
Samsung SMT-H3272 DVR
Yamaha RX-V650 AVR
XBOX 360
URC MX-780 remote control
post #8 of 13 Old 11-24-2007, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by sooke View Post

That's actually something I've been wondering about: I'ld like to open another account for my wife (so she can have her own high scores, acheivements, etc.), but would that mean we'ld have to pay for the same xbox live marketplace games again?

No. The games are tied to your xbox. So the games will always be unlocked on your xbox, no matter what acct is used.

Josh - GamerTag: ShapeGSX PSN: ShapeGSX
'97 Eclipse GSX - 11.825@117.55mph in the 1/4
post #9 of 13 Old 11-25-2007, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by random tek hed View Post

I actually think it is a good thing they charge people to change gamertags. I think it discourages the abuse that name changes bring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooke View Post

Sooke

Actually they are tied to the gamertag and the the hard drive they were purchased on. As long as you stay on the same hard drive as the one you bought them on then anyone can play them. If you download them and they are not on the hard drive you purchased them on then your gamertag would be the only one allowed to play them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shape View Post

No. The games are tied to your xbox. So the games will always be unlocked on your xbox, no matter what acct is used.

They are actually tied to your hard drive not the xbox. You can swap out hard drives to other xboxes and not have to worry about the DRM issues.
post #10 of 13 Old 11-25-2007, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Actually they are tied to the gamertag and the the hard drive they were purchased on. As long as you stay on the same hard drive as the one you bought them on then anyone can play them. If you download them and they are not on the hard drive you purchased them on then your gamertag would be the only one allowed to play them.

They are actually tied to your hard drive not the xbox. You can swap out hard drives to other xboxes and not have to worry about the DRM issues.

No, it is tied to the XBox. And it is also tied to your live account. If you take your hard drive to another xbox, you will need to log into your gamertag before you can play the games.

But it is definitely not tied to the hard drive or memory card. After all, you can download the games to multiple memory devices.

post #11 of 13 Old 11-25-2007, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No, it is tied to the XBox. And it is also tied to your live account. If you take your hard drive to another xbox, you will need to log into your gamertag before you can play the games.

But it is definitely not tied to the hard drive or memory card. After all, you can download the games to multiple memory devices.

If that is the case then I wouldn't be able to take my hard drive off and put it on my brothers xbox and not have to sign into my account for my niece and two nephews to play my arcade games when I am babysitting them at his place?

Yes you can download them on multiple memory devices and it is tied to the memory device that you purchase and save it on.
post #12 of 13 Old 11-25-2007, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If that is the case then I wouldn't be able to take my hard drive off and put it on my brothers xbox and not have to sign into my account for my niece and two nephews to play my arcade games when I am babysitting them at his place?

Yes you can download them on multiple memory devices and it is tied to the memory device that you purchase and save it on.

That would mean that you could buy multiple memory cards and re-download the games you have purchased and then give them to all your friends. Doesn't work that way.

If it worked the way you mentioned, people wouldn't have trouble with downloadable content when they get back consoles with different serial numbers from XBox service. But people DO have trouble with DLC with different consoles. You need to log into your live acct before the games are unlocked.

Here is an explanation:
http://72.3.228.88/blogs/levelup/arc...ll-for-us.aspx

post #13 of 13 Old 11-25-2007, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That would mean that you could buy multiple memory cards and re-download the games you have purchased and then give them to all your friends. Doesn't work that way.

If it worked the way you mentioned, people wouldn't have trouble with downloadable content when they get back consoles with different serial numbers from XBox service. But people DO have trouble with DLC with different consoles. You need to log into your live acct before the games are unlocked.

Here is an explanation:
http://72.3.228.88/blogs/levelup/arc...ll-for-us.aspx

No because those other memory cards would not be the memory device you had purchased the game on. It only works on that first memory device. That would not allow you to give them to anyone.

No I didn't say that. I said they are linked to your hard drive and your gamertag. Hmmmm that is interesting since I have no problem playing them on my brothers xbox with my hard drive and I am not signed on. I will double check next Saturday when I go over there again to make sure.
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page