Any tips for beating Cortana in Halo 3? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 67 Old 11-30-2007, 10:16 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've beaten every level up to Cortana in every difficulty but can't even get past a few minutes in the Gravemind even on easy. I just seem to get swarmed every single time I try: I get attacked -- I shoot back -- I get swarmed.

I've seen videos of ppl doing 8min speedruns of the entire level on LEGENDARY. If there's anything that's unforgivable about H3, it's this w/ it's awful level design - it's just plain not fun.

I don't wanna co-op because I want to beat this on my own.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 67 Old 11-30-2007, 10:18 PM

My apologies.
post #3 of 67 Old 11-30-2007, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahawk_3 View Post

Yeah..........how about posting a "spoiler" warning in your title and asking the question inside?

There are zero spoilers in this thread. Cortana is the name of the level, I didn't realize we needed spoiler warnings for level names now.

To answer the OP, yea that level is an absolute pain in the ass. I honestly just ran through most of it trying to avoid everything attacking me to the best of my ability and praying for a checkpoint. The whole level is just poorly designed since it's so hard to figure out where you are thanks to the repetitive level design. One would think after Halo 1 and 2 Bungie would have figured out Halo fans don't find the "OMG it's an endless wave of Flood trying to rape me, RUN AWAY!" level very entertaining or fun.
post #4 of 67 Old 11-30-2007, 11:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
i've always hated anything "flood" related in the halo series.

No trees were harmed forming this post, though many electrons were inconvenienced.
SERGEANT SERGEANT MASTER SERGEANT SHOOTER PERSON
Then:|A40|AX720|F1|K702|DT880|ES7|MS2i Now:|MS1|AD700|PC360|A30
post #5 of 67 Old 11-30-2007, 11:42 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Video contains SPOILERS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thnnnAoRrAg

Unbelievable; this speedthru just doesn't work for me - I always get swarmed and end up killing myself w/ nades in frantic desperation. Guess I gotta keep on truckin' - any more tips would be welcome

This is the only thing keeping from getting to "Halo" - which looks so damn awesome and fun.
post #6 of 67 Old 12-01-2007, 12:09 AM
AVS Special Member

IMO, the Cortana level is one of the absolute worst I've ever had the displeasure of playing. It's just absolutely awful in every respect.

I just mowed some guys down with the melee and bursts of weapon fire, and then hid until my health was full. Then repeat.

You know "that look" women get when they want sex? Me neither. - Steve Martin
post #7 of 67 Old 12-01-2007, 12:24 AM
AVS Special Member

The whole level feels like being the intestine of a giant creature. And no, I did not enjoy it, either.

PSN Gamertag: chris5977

In War: Resolution
In Defeat: Defiance
In Victory: Magnanimity
In Peace: Good Will

Winston Spencer Churchill
post #8 of 67 Old 12-01-2007, 12:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Played through twice sole on Normal and Heroic and wasnt too bad the second time around because I chose to use the plasma rifle, dual-wielding whenever possible. Makes the level a lot easier as not a lot can stand up to that firepower.
post #9 of 67 Old 12-01-2007, 01:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Patience.

Dual Wield plasma pistorl for the transforming ones. They'll go down fast to it. Battle rifle in the furry appendage sticking out for the rest and they'll fall also. Take your time.
post #10 of 67 Old 12-01-2007, 07:05 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I played Legendary solo. While in Cortana I used mostly the sword, brute shot and needler (and the occasional rockets etc.). Use the needles on the 'ranged form' flood (those that fire green spikes back - just a few needles will already kill them) and the sword or brute shot on those that attack you. Use also as many grenades as possible (ideally stickies). In case the flood swarms you make sure you don't stand still (run in circles). You have to retreat occasionally to deal with the flood. Also note that the flood explodes. So, when they are still concentrated in a small area a single grenade usually takes care of them all. Sometimes you have to move three weapons with you and drop them through holes to the next level. As someone already noted, patience is key here.
post #11 of 67 Old 12-01-2007, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

OK I haven't played the game yet because I am not in the states. But man I was absolutely PISSED when I read the title of this thread. THANK GOD it is just the name of the level. I did not even know that. I would think people would think about the titles of their posts.
post #12 of 67 Old 12-01-2007, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Management View Post

OK I haven't played the game yet because I am not in the states. But man I was absolutely PISSED when I read the title of this thread. THANK GOD it is just the name of the level. I did not even know that. I would think people would think about the titles of their posts.

Again, it's just the name of level. What is the big friggin deal people, chill the eff out.
post #13 of 67 Old 12-01-2007, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 75
There are a few places where you can get energy swords in the level. And there is a spot or two where there is an energy hammer available. I prefered the close up weapons for that level.

Josh - GamerTag: ShapeGSX PSN: ShapeGSX
'97 Eclipse GSX - 11.825@117.55mph in the 1/4
post #14 of 67 Old 12-01-2007, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by formulanerd View Post

i've always hated anything "flood" related in the halo series.

Funny, the Flood was the only thing I liked about the HALO series. Fighting those stupid squeaky mickey-mouse aliens and brutes and whatever was jaw-droppingly yawnsville for me. "oh boy..another alien that jumps out to the side of my shots and shoots at me with big snowball plasma bullets".

But once the flood showed up, then it started to feel like a better FPS...since they swarm you, and can jump huge distances, and a few shots wont necessarily take one out. Plus they look cool and creepy.

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

post #15 of 67 Old 12-01-2007, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD-DVDwonder View Post

Video contains SPOILERS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thnnnAoRrAg

Unbelievable; this speedthru just doesn't work for me - I always get swarmed and end up killing myself w/ nades in frantic desperation. Guess I gotta keep on truckin' - any more tips would be welcome

:O

This level mentally kicked my butt.
post #16 of 67 Old 12-01-2007, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadRusch View Post

Funny, the Flood was the only thing I liked about the HALO series. Fighting those stupid squeaky mickey-mouse aliens and brutes and whatever was jaw-droppingly yawnsville for me. "oh boy..another alien that jumps out to the side of my shots and shoots at me with big snowball plasma bullets".

But once the flood showed up, then it started to feel like a better FPS...since they swarm you, and can jump huge distances, and a few shots wont necessarily take one out. Plus they look cool and creepy.

I preferred the Covenant because they actually had AI, it required some thinking to fight your way through them. Sometimes more and sometimes less but you did have to actually think about your plan of attack to fight the Covenant. The Flood turned Halo into Serious Sam, no thinking, just wave after wave of enemies who do little more than hurl themselves at you and you have to mindlessly blast your way through them.
post #17 of 67 Old 12-01-2007, 12:17 PM

Use swords. Melee kills destroy the bodies so they can't come back to life. Also carry a medium/long range weapon to pick off the flood that shoot back.
post #18 of 67 Old 12-01-2007, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

I beat it on heroic by myself but speedrunning through CERTAIN parts. I found that brute shots were crucial to taking down those annoying wall sticker floods that shoot at you.
post #19 of 67 Old 12-01-2007, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by efjay View Post

Played through twice sole on Normal and Heroic and wasnt too bad the second time around because I chose to use the plasma rifle, dual-wielding whenever possible. Makes the level a lot easier as not a lot can stand up to that firepower.

Just beat it! And "Halo" as well, very satisfying. Thanks for the tip on plasma weapons, they do seem to work much better on the re-animated flood; never really used them at all in the game except for de-shielding Brutes. I actually had to follow that video point by point in order to complete it - it's so easy to get lost in that awful Gravemind.
post #20 of 67 Old 12-01-2007, 06:24 PM

I used double plasma rifles and they started dropping like flies also take advantage of your shields and such, it can give you a nice break from action to regain health.

Samsung UN55F7100
PS3 60GB
Blu-ray : 86
Xbox 360

post #21 of 67 Old 12-02-2007, 03:34 AM

Geez this game is so old, people still play it?
post #22 of 67 Old 12-02-2007, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

HATED this level - solo and co-op. Can't believe the speedrun - that's crazy.

Xbox Live ID: MihmsMe
post #23 of 67 Old 12-02-2007, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR1 View Post

Patience.

Dual Wield plasma pistorl for the transforming ones. They'll go down fast to it. Battle rifle in the furry appendage sticking out for the rest and they'll fall also. Take your time.

It is difficult at frist, but you really just need to sit back and let them come to you so you can fight them one at a time. The dual plasma rifles work awesome for most stuff like mentioned. A BR or Carbine will take out the spike shooting bastages. It seems at times like the flood is never ending, but be patient and they will stop coming.
post #24 of 67 Old 12-02-2007, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by 257Tony View Post

It is difficult at frist, but you really just need to sit back and let them come to you so you can fight them one at a time. The dual plasma rifles work awesome for most stuff like mentioned. A BR or Carbine will take out the spike shooting bastages. It seems at times like the flood is never ending, but be patient and they will stop coming.

As many mentioned patience and I will add running backwards so you can deal with one at a time rather than several. That is how I got through on Legendary. Run up, throw a grenade into the mass and then run like H E double hockey sticks and hope one or 2 follow.

Edit: Comment struck due to being in error
post #25 of 67 Old 12-02-2007, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumperII View Post

As many mentioned patience and I will add running backwards so you can deal with one at a time rather than several. That is how I got through on Legendary. Run up, throw a grenade into the mass and then run like H E double hockey sticks and hope one or 2 follow.

I almost did not respond cause the OP seems to be way too defensive and rude but it will be good for others with the same issue.

I didn't think he's been either of those things. Myself on the other hand, I've been a little defensive and rude over the people whining about the name of a level getting spoiled
post #26 of 67 Old 12-02-2007, 02:19 PM
Advanced Member

I played this level as if it was Gears of War. Tried to find as much cover as possible, with my back covered as well. I took it easy and took no chances. Patience. Patience.

XBOX Live / PSN: Choocheroo
post #27 of 67 Old 12-02-2007, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkchurch View Post

I didn't think he's been either of those things. Myself on the other hand, I've been a little defensive and rude over the people whining about the name of a level getting spoiled

I stand corrected.
post #28 of 67 Old 12-03-2007, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

This level was definitely my LEAST favorite and I got lost many times the first time through.

When playing this you definitely need a ranged weapon for the little buggers that morph and throw out those tail spikes. And dual weilding plasma rifles work well to take down flood up close as well as using them to melee.

And definitely watch the explosions! You don't want to unleashe the sacs attached to the walls!!

XBL: AJ in HD
PSN: AJ_in_HD
post #29 of 67 Old 12-03-2007, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

I love the Flood levels. Its really not that hard either.
post #30 of 67 Old 12-03-2007, 11:42 AM

you serious Clark?
Reply Xbox Area