Please help me connect my 360 to a WPA2-Enterprise network - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 12-05-2007, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am trying to be able to connect to Xbox Live while I am at the firehouse. I need to find a way to wirelessly connect the 360 to a Cisco based WPA2-Enterprise secured network. Wired connection is not an option. Does anyone know if this is possible?

Also, as I am just a poor fireman... if the solution becomes too expensive it will be worthless for me. I am hoping to find an answer around $100 or less. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-05-2007, 12:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawk375 View Post

I am trying to be able to connect to Xbox Live while I am at the firehouse. I need to find a way to wirelessly connect the 360 to a Cisco based WPA2-Enterprise secured network. Wired connection is not an option. Does anyone know if this is possible?

Also, as I am just a poor fireman... if the solution becomes too expensive it will be worthless for me. I am hoping to find an answer around $100 or less. Thanks!

Any WPA2-Enterprise compatable wireless bridge should work. Configure the bridge for your network, then plug the Xbox to the bridge via ethernet port. No idea if one can be had for under $100 but I don't see why not.
post #3 of 11 Old 12-05-2007, 12:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 97
You'll need a WPA2 compatible wireless bridge. This rules out the MS adapter (which is 99$ anyway) since it only supports WPA. It will be an option however if the Cisco WAP supports both WPA2 and WPA Clients simultaneously (i.e. an Apple Airport Ext pre-N can support both types of clients). I think that is usually refered to a the 'WPA2 Personal' mode. I'd assume WPA2 Enterprise would force any client to be WPA2 capable.

In order to know what your options are, you need to know the following:
  • What 802.11x protocols is your Cisco WAP configured to support (a/b/g)?
  • Can you access the WAP by entering the SSID and WPA/WPA2 passphrase into the 360 network configuration screen? Can you get this information? Does the WAP also perfrom MAC address filtering so unauthorized devices can't access the firehouse network? Can you add the 360 MAC to the authorized client address list?
  • Can the WAP support both WPA2 and WPA clients (this would make the MS adapter an option if you want to blow the whole Benji (pre-tax)

You really need to know the answer to those 3 questions before you can determine what your options are...

XBOX LIVE ID: JeepR kReapR
PSN ID: JeepR_kReapR

Originally Posted by emartins

Instead of the usual 2 minutes, give her 5 minutes of nothing but that Jeep ecstasy. She will be exhausted and fall right to sleep. You are now free to play.

Thats what I do.

post #4 of 11 Old 12-05-2007, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

Answer to three questions:
1. What 802.11x protocols is your Cisco WAP configured to support (a/b/g)? It supports all three.

2. Can you access the WAP by entering the SSID and WPA/WPA2 passphrase into the 360 network configuration screen? Can you get this information? Does the WAP also perfrom MAC address filtering so unauthorized devices can't access the firehouse network? Can you add the 360 MAC to the authorized client address list?
I do have access to the SSID and the WPA2-Enterprise passphrase. There is no MAC filtering.

3. Can the WAP support both WPA2 and WPA clients (this would make the MS adapter an option if you want to blow the whole Benji (pre-tax)
It only supports WPA2-Enterprise clients
post #5 of 11 Old 12-05-2007, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jremy510 View Post

Any WPA2-Enterprise compatable wireless bridge should work. Configure the bridge for your network, then plug the Xbox to the bridge via ethernet port. No idea if one can be had for under $100 but I don't see why not.

I am having trouble finding a WPA2-Enterprise compatible bridge in my price range. Any suggestions?
post #6 of 11 Old 12-05-2007, 02:46 PM
Advanced Member

http://www.pcnation.com/web/details....08&item=G68739

$79

Says this router supports WPA2 in client mode only. If the Cisco WAP is the RADIUS server this might work. I'd research it more before jumping though...I haven't attempted to set up a wireless bridge using WPA2 so I can't tell you the pitfalls from expereince.

We'll, I guess you could coun't the 2 apple AE's I use on my home network, but those are $150 each you you know they are compatible with each other. Not the case in your situation though

Instead of the usual 2 minutes, give her 5 minutes of nothing but that Jeep ecstasy. She will be exhausted and fall right to sleep. You are now free to play.

Thats what I do.

post #7 of 11 Old 12-05-2007, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyderulz View Post

http://www.pcnation.com/web/details....08&item=G68739

$79

Says this router supports WPA2 in client mode only. If the Cisco WAP is the RADIUS server this might work. I'd research it more before jumping though...I haven't attempted to set up a wireless bridge using WPA2 so I can't tell you the pitfalls from expereince.

We'll, I guess you could coun't the 2 apple AE's I use on my home network, but those are $150 each you you know they are compatible with each other. Not the case in your situation though

WPA2 will not work. It has to be WPA2-Enterprise.
post #8 of 11 Old 12-05-2007, 04:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

WPA2 will not work. It has to be WPA2-Enterprise.

Just trying to help blackhawk. To my knowledge WPA Enterprise refers to the fact that the WAP must implement an 802.11x RADIUS server for authentication, which your Cisco WAP obviously does. Any 802.11 device acting as a client only needs to support WPA2. If there is something else a client wifi device needs besides WPA2 support to connect to a WPA2 enterprise network I'd love to know what that is. If there is anything it would be software oriented (i.e. an updated driver for your wifi device built into your laptop) which would mean the 360 would need a similar update.

From a client perspective the only difference between WPA2 Personal and WPA2 Enterprise that a WAP in WPA2 personal mode will also allow WPA clients to connect. A WPA2 Enterprise WAP will only allow WPA2 clients to join.

I don't know if that USR device will play well with your Cisco WAP...don't have a clue. All I know is any WPA2 client device should be capable of connecting to a WAP in WPA2 Enterprise mode (using a RADIUS server for authentication)

Good luck in your search!

Thats what I do.

post #9 of 11 Old 12-05-2007, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyderulz View Post

Just trying to help blackhawk. To my knowledge WPA Enterprise refers to the fact that the WAP must implement an 802.11x RADIUS server, which your Cisco WAP obviously does. Any 802.11 device acting as a client only needs to support WPA2. If there is something else a client wifi device needs besides WPA2 support to connect to a WPA2 enterprise network I'd love to know what that is. If there is anything it would be software oriented (i.e. an updated driver for your wifi device built into your laptop) which would mean the 360 would need a similar update.

From a client perspective the only difference between WPA2 Personal and WPA2 Enterprise that a WAP in WPA2 personal mode will also allow WPA clients to connect. A WPA2 Enterprise WAP will only allow WPA2 clients to join.

I don't know if that USR device will play well with your Cisco WAP...don't have a clue. All I know is any WPA2 client device should be capable of connecting to a WAP in WPA2 Enterprise mode (acting as a RADIUS server)

Good luck in your search!

Sorry if I sounded unappreciative in my previous post. I am very grateful for the help and you obviously know much more about this issue than I do. I was only going off of what I've been told by our IT manager. I do think I have found a solution just under $100 from Dlink. The DWL-3150:http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=569
Amazon.com has it listed for just under $100 with shipping.

Again... I really appreciate the help you have provided!
post #10 of 11 Old 12-05-2007, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

My brother is a firefighter for Seattle and they pay for their own private internet connection to the station. They are not allowed to attach any personal equipment to the City network.

You should check with your agency policy on this. Xbox isn't worth getting fired over...

PSN Gamertag: chris5977

In War: Resolution
In Defeat: Defiance
In Victory: Magnanimity
In Peace: Good Will

Winston Spencer Churchill
post #11 of 11 Old 12-05-2007, 05:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Sorry if I sounded unappreciative in my previous post. I am very grateful for the help and you obviously know much more about this issue than I do. I was only going off of what I've been told by our IT manager. I do think I have found a solution just under $100 from Dlink. The DWL-3150:http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=569
Amazon.com has it listed for just under $100 with shipping.

Again... I really appreciate the help you have provided!

No problen blackhawk, I understand your concern.

Again I'm pretty sure the 'Enterprise' in WPA2 Enterprise (or WPA Enterprise) only refers to the Fact that the Wireless Access Point can support unique user identification by referencing an access control list of user id's and passwords on a RADIUS server (instead of having to use a pre-hared password/passphrase for all client devices)

If you're only going to be using the device in client or bridge mode (and not as an access point itself) the 'Enterprise' shouldn't matter, any WPA2 compatible device should do.

Either way I'm sure the D-Link should work fine, the important thing is you feel more comfortable with it. And if you should ever want to create your own wireless access point and use a RADIUS server for client authentication...you're all set

Thats what I do.

Reply Xbox Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page