Optical cable jack loose on 360? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 01-09-2008, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I wasn't sure if this is because of my cable or the jack itself since I only have one cable to try. It seems that the optical jack on the 360 is fairly loose. It clicks in as if to lock, but if I put any pressure on the cable in an outward direction, it pops right out.

On the other hand, the jack going into my receiver clicks and locks in completely solid. Has anyone else experienced something similar?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 01-09-2008, 08:57 AM
Advanced Member

Yes, I have. Same issue. Fits snugly on the receiver, but loosely on the Component cable interface. If you're not careful, you'll drop audio sometimes if you've jiggled it around without knowing. I have first generation(not even sure if they come in "generations") Xbox component cables. Maybe the later generation ones are better, but someone else would have to confirm.

Gamertag= Nexus976lives
PS3= Nexus976
Wii= Be serious, now....
post #3 of 15 Old 01-09-2008, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'll have to check mine when I get home because I do get audio dropouts once in awhile. Maybe that's what's wrong.
post #4 of 15 Old 01-09-2008, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

I have a premium system but with HDMI so I opted to purchase the MS hdmi cable with optical dongle as opposed to the component cable hack. I havent had any issues and have had no sound dropout. Also my x box or cables really never get moved but it is firmly locked in place.

xbox live GT: xXmaximus prime
PSN: maximus_rr
I have to go, I have a meeting with the bobs, uhhh I wasnt aware of any meeting......yeah they called me at home
post #5 of 15 Old 01-09-2008, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter

Hmm interesting that I'm not the only one. Well for the time being I haven't noticed any drop-outs, but I'll keep an ear out.
post #6 of 15 Old 01-09-2008, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Also make sure the rubber boot is removed from the end of the cable. It has been know to get left on which can cause a loose fit and audio dropouts.

Disclaimer:
The words above are based on loose facts mixed with my opinion, the latter of which is subject to change.

Gamertag Morkaleb
PSN Archathema
post #7 of 15 Old 01-09-2008, 10:26 AM

This has been a problem since launch, if you google it you will definately find you are not alone with this problem! Seems some cable brands fit better than others too.
post #8 of 15 Old 01-09-2008, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

Ah alright. Well I'm definitely sure the rubber boot is off, as it was very obvious that it was attached when I unpacked it. I guess I'll just have to live with it.
post #9 of 15 Old 01-10-2008, 05:21 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremesniper View Post

I wasn't sure if this is because of my cable or the jack itself since I only have one cable to try. It seems that the optical jack on the 360 is fairly loose. It clicks in as if to lock, but if I put any pressure on the cable in an outward direction, it pops right out.

On the other hand, the jack going into my receiver clicks and locks in completely solid. Has anyone else experienced something similar?

I have the MS cables with my elite, and I have the same issue. The toslink cable will easily pop out when I move the Xbox.
post #10 of 15 Old 01-10-2008, 05:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Just got my elite yesturday. Same issue. I had a toslink cable laying around and it wouldn't even click in. It wanted to but then would pop out. I went to best buy and got a new cable and that one at least snaps in but if I jerk it around or move the xbox it pops out very easily. I am buying a new one from monoprice and returning the best buy one(becuase they raped me on price).

Best advice. Don't move your xbox once it is in.

| XBOX360 - headshotwi | PS3 - headshotwi |
| Klipsch RF-82, RS-62, RC-64 | HSU ULS-15 DualDrive | Onkyo PR-SC5507P| Panasonic TC-P65V10 | Emotiva XPA-5 & UPA-2 |
post #11 of 15 Old 01-10-2008, 06:03 AM

Liked: 93
Welcome to the wonderful world of Toslink. Loose connection isn't an issue with the Xbox, but with the Toslink jack-type in general. Rather dumb too, since digital coax provides the exact same functionality with a far simpler and more secure connection type.
post #12 of 15 Old 01-10-2008, 07:36 AM

There were some threads on toslink that fit well on the 360. Accoustic research and madcatz fit snug, as well as some othres I don't recall. Many others had a loose fit, for some reason. I use AR and and it has been fine.
post #13 of 15 Old 01-10-2008, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Mine was loose. I just grabbed some duct tape rather than mess around with buying a new cable. Duct tape...truly one of God's masterpieces.
post #14 of 15 Old 01-10-2008, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter

Haha well mine does a slight "click" that pretends it went in, but yeah once I move it too much it will pop out. This is enough for me for the time being since the only time I move my TV is when I need to get to the back, and that doesn't tend to happen unless I'm putting something new in or taking something out.

The toslink design doesn't seem to be terrible. At least on the receiver side it has a solid click and lock connection.
post #15 of 15 Old 01-10-2008, 09:33 AM
Advanced Member

Using a monster cable with mine, doesn't hold. One of my main reasons for going Elite.

Please comment on my home theater and bedroom theater projects!
Reply Xbox Area