KBI
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAKE4742 View Post

I agree. The way they throw punches seems weird. I thought this was going to be a true simulation.

& in rage mode, your stats are all maxed for a short while.. This game will be 20.00 in 2 months..

The #1 spot for gaming headphones/headsets/Mic mods/DH 5.1/links & more.
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/...494101?sk=info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 47 Old 06-06-2008, 11:25 AM

I think i like the fact that they spent more time developing the stuff that happens outside of the ring...too many times i played fight night and after a few fights was dreadfully bored...

yeah what reason do i have to hate don king either...

this historic fights clip looked pretty good to me...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-l87J6NyWUs&eurl=
post #33 of 47 Old 06-06-2008, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWinstonWolf View Post

I think i like the fact that they spent more time developing the stuff that happens outside of the ring...too many times i played fight night and after a few fights was dreadfully bored...

this historic fights clip looked pretty good to me...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-l87J6NyWUs&eurl=

I do agree with you there...

XBOX Live: Hank Love
post #34 of 47 Old 06-06-2008, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

Uh......because he ruined the sweet science and destroyed the sport of boxing?
post #35 of 47 Old 06-11-2008, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Anyone played this yet? The 2 or 3 reviews I've read said it's not very good.
post #36 of 47 Old 06-15-2008, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Flatus View Post

Uh......because he ruined the sweet science and destroyed the sport of boxing?

The "sport" of boxing destroyed itself...he just profited off of it...plus my (or anyone elses) opinion of don king should have zero impact on whether i get the game...im die hard for boxing games...so don king or not im buying this game.
post #37 of 47 Old 06-15-2008, 03:46 PM

Quote:

The "sport" of boxing destroyed itself...he just profited off of it...plus my (or anyone elses) opinion of don king should have zero impact on whether i get the game...im die hard for boxing games...so don king or not im buying this game.

You're gonna buy the game despite the fact that it's a piece of crap?
Ugh...it's so bad.
post #38 of 47 Old 06-15-2008, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyM View Post

Fight Night was a horrible boxing game that looked amazing. For serious fans of the sweet science it left a lot to be desired.

While I'm not thrilled with Don King's name, King is still the biggest promoter in boxing, and if that means bringing his stable of boxers to the game, so be it. More importantly since 2k is doing it I expect a serious effort of capturing the feel of a real boxing match, something that has been sadly lacking from Fight Night from day one.

um im gonna have to say don king stable isnt great and BOB ARUM hands down is the biggest and best boxing promoter followed by Oscar and his golden boy promotions

if you notice these days the crappy fights you don't really care about are the ones promoted by king

but regardless i hope the game is good cause we need a good boxing game
post #39 of 47 Old 06-16-2008, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

The game is bad.

Punches magically go right through fighters. The step modifier breaks the game (it's the Prizefighter version of the haymaker). This is the magic combo: Right Trigger+right bumper+B for the step body punch, then as soon as it lands, throw 3 straight rights.

Oh, I love this one: Cpu throws a wide-ass step hook, I see it coming and throw a perfectly-timed lead uppercut to straight right. They land, but his punch hits me anyway and does more damage than my counter- in fact, I go stumbling across the ring. Jab=useless. Guys will just walk right through it. The straight right is just as fast and more effective. Punch avoidance is LOL. The lean/dodge mechanic is worse than any other game that uses it. Fighters move around the ring like they're wallowing in ****. The punches don't "track". You can spam body punches with ease. The CPU just forgets to block them.

Oh, this was a good one- I'm fighting this guy, and he starts galloping in place. I hit him, he just stands there. I continue to rain blows, he stands there and takes it. I knock him out. This has happened 3 times in my career mode.

Another time, I knocked a guy down, he didn't make the 10 count... ref let the fight continue!

Really though, if the movement was better, and the punch detection was decent, I'd like this game a lot more, but it would still be bad.

Things it does well:

Career mode is better than FNR3's. But barely. 1:30 long rounds at the beginning of your pro career? Really? Where are the rankings? Why can't I sign different Trainer/cutmen to contracts? Why are there no cutmen? Why are there no CUTS? Why are there only four stat areas?

The training is fun and well done.

There is an actual Ref in the ring.

Ring intros are done correctly.

There are two commentators.

Knowing when to attack and when to defend is important.

There are actual stoppages.

The roster is a fight fan's roster, though the fighters look kinda wonky...

Anyway, when will boxing game devs understand that we don't want "special" super powerful punches and hyper energy modes.

I really wanted to like this game, but... it's going back to gamestop after I finish career mode. I'll stick to Japanese games to get my boxing fix
post #40 of 47 Old 06-16-2008, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:

I respectfully disagree. I believe that Don King ochestrated the demise of boxing. I'm a boxing fan. I was paying attention for the last 25 years while Don King tied up fighters with contracts that Dana White would be envious to shove down a fighter's throat. I watched while the pay-per-view paradigm blossomed and the fights we all wanted to see became fewer and farther between. And Don King was in charge and pulling all the strings...and making double butt-loads of money.

I've loved boxing games since text-sims on a PDP-11 through Intellivision Boxing, 4-D Boxing on the Amiga, and FN Round 3. I'd love nothing better than a great boxing game on the 360. But even if Don King Boxing was a great game, I wouldn't buy it just because it says "Don King" on the box, because that means someone paid that P.O.S. to put his name on the game.

And paying Don King to put his name on a boxing game costs you at least one sale: mine.

Every time.
post #41 of 47 Old 06-16-2008, 09:52 AM

all I have read is that this game is a stinking turd. 2k sports appears to only be strong with the basketball. Even the hockey is starting to suck lulz
post #42 of 47 Old 06-16-2008, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
The next game that can implement Floyd's shoulder roll properly (and James Toney) gets my money.

FNR4 need to do away with the haymaker and cut down the parry system. Blocking/rolling/slipping punches leads to much better counters than parrying.
post #43 of 47 Old 06-16-2008, 11:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 172
The game is not as bad as people say it is. Gameplay definitely needs to be polished. No question about it but it isn't like it's totally unplayable. There is strategy to the fights. What I used to do in FN will get me killed in prizefighter. The story mode is great. I just finished it and will go through it again. I enjoyed it that much. I don't think I've gone through the story mode twice in any game. I started to in a few but never finished the second time around. This game I think I will. Just for the fun of building up another fighter. Although you can do that outside the story I believe.

I say give the game a chance and don't go in looking for FN gameplay. Punches do feel sluggish but that for the most part seems to be due to the skill of your boxer. I've used other boxers and they seem way more responsive then others. I for one feel it's a good buy.

This historic fights are great and being able to use those venues , once you've unlocked them, is another sweet bonus. Make some old time boxers and put them in that venue and you got instant fun. Imagine the vids you can do.

AT HAMMOND ROBOTICS WE'RE BRINGING THE FUTURE ... HOME
post #44 of 47 Old 06-17-2008, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenkaipalm View Post

The game is bad.

Punches magically go right through fighters. The step modifier breaks the game (it's the Prizefighter version of the haymaker). This is the magic combo: Right Trigger+right bumper+B for the step body punch, then as soon as it lands, throw 3 straight rights.

Oh, I love this one: Cpu throws a wide-ass step hook, I see it coming and throw a perfectly-timed lead uppercut to straight right. They land, but his punch hits me anyway and does more damage than my counter- in fact, I go stumbling across the ring. Jab=useless. Guys will just walk right through it. The straight right is just as fast and more effective. Punch avoidance is LOL. The lean/dodge mechanic is worse than any other game that uses it. Fighters move around the ring like they're wallowing in ****. The punches don't "track". You can spam body punches with ease. The CPU just forgets to block them.

Oh, this was a good one- I'm fighting this guy, and he starts galloping in place. I hit him, he just stands there. I continue to rain blows, he stands there and takes it. I knock him out. This has happened 3 times in my career mode.

Another time, I knocked a guy down, he didn't make the 10 count... ref let the fight continue!

Really though, if the movement was better, and the punch detection was decent, I'd like this game a lot more, but it would still be bad.

Things it does well:

Career mode is better than FNR3's. But barely. 1:30 long rounds at the beginning of your pro career? Really? Where are the rankings? Why can't I sign different Trainer/cutmen to contracts? Why are there no cutmen? Why are there no CUTS? Why are there only four stat areas?

The training is fun and well done.

There is an actual Ref in the ring.

Ring intros are done correctly.

There are two commentators.

Knowing when to attack and when to defend is important.

There are actual stoppages.

The roster is a fight fan's roster, though the fighters look kinda wonky...

Anyway, when will boxing game devs understand that we don't want "special" super powerful punches and hyper energy modes.

I really wanted to like this game, but... it's going back to gamestop after I finish career mode. I'll stick to Japanese games to get my boxing fix

LMAOOOOO! Great review. I appreciate that review because I'm a diehard boxing fan and I was salivating over the screenshots.
post #45 of 47 Old 06-17-2008, 04:42 PM

I bought this game for a couple reasons...

1.Play as Kelly Pavlik (Pretty good stable of boxers even though FN3 has more realistic characters.)

2. Venues like Boardwalk Hall and Taj Mahal

Story mode is fun to play through but this game definitely has major flaws. Hit recognition, voice acting, button mash gameplay.

I'll play through the rest of the story and probably put it on the shelf soon thereafter.
post #46 of 47 Old 06-17-2008, 05:53 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by totalownership View Post

The game is not as bad as people say it is. Gameplay definitely needs to be polished. No question about it but it isn't like it's totally unplayable. There is strategy to the fights. What I used to do in FN will get me killed in prizefighter. The story mode is great. I just finished it and will go through it again. I enjoyed it that much. I don't think I've gone through the story mode twice in any game. I started to in a few but never finished the second time around. This game I think I will. Just for the fun of building up another fighter. Although you can do that outside the story I believe.

I say give the game a chance and don't go in looking for FN gameplay. Punches do feel sluggish but that for the most part seems to be due to the skill of your boxer. I've used other boxers and they seem way more responsive then others. I for one feel it's a good buy.

This historic fights are great and being able to use those venues , once you've unlocked them, is another sweet bonus. Make some old time boxers and put them in that venue and you got instant fun. Imagine the vids you can do.

1:30 rounds in story mode? true? If so, no buy at 60.00, only 20.00..

The #1 spot for gaming headphones/headsets/Mic mods/DH 5.1/links & more.
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/...494101?sk=info
post #47 of 47 Old 06-19-2008, 02:00 PM

Played the game pretty much all weekend..took me a while to get used to the controls, but once I stopped button mashing and got a handle on the combos it was a blast...the career mode is way better than anything fight night ever trotted out.
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page