Using a Samsung LCD with Xbox 360 over HDMI/VGA? Better read this! - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 333 Old 03-27-2008, 03:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Colors aside, this fails the BTB test on DVE. It clips the lower end of the black spectrum so you are losing detail here too. I am still experimenting, but set to "intermediate", it displays BTB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 333 Old 03-27-2008, 04:37 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
so, does HDMI or VGA look better? i don't have an HDMI 360 and I'm currently running component, but want to go VGA for upconverting on my hd-dvd player. Is VGA a good picture, better than component?
post #93 of 333 Old 03-27-2008, 11:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipcordAFF View Post

Colors aside, this fails the BTB test on DVE. It clips the lower end of the black spectrum so you are losing detail here too. I am still experimenting, but set to "intermediate", it displays BTB

DVE HD? or regular DVD?
post #94 of 333 Old 03-28-2008, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von551 View Post

so, does HDMI or VGA look better? i don't have an HDMI 360 and I'm currently running component, but want to go VGA for upconverting on my hd-dvd player. Is VGA a good picture, better than component?

I was wondering what opinions on this were as well. Also...I have a 4254 plasma. Has anyone tried/tested different settings for each, and found one to look better than the other?...

I'm BLU
My Blu-Ray Custom Covers
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #95 of 333 Old 03-28-2008, 12:16 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero HD View Post

DVE HD? or regular DVD?

Just Regular dvd....are you implying that it matters for contrast clipping?
post #96 of 333 Old 03-28-2008, 03:52 PM

Just a quick question/comment folks. I've got a PS3 and an Xbox 360 (launch console). My PS3 is connected via HDMI but my 360 is only connected via VGA (this on a 5265F Samsung). I've noticed that I stay away from the Xbox 360 just because it doesn't seem as sharp as my PS3, picture wise. Is this because one is running a pure digital signal (HDMI) and one is a digital --> analogue --> digital connection (I think that's how VGA works) or is it simply my settings are not set correctly? I'm using the same settings for both the 360 (where I can, since it's set to Home Theatre PC) as I am with my PS3.

I would like to have the 360 just as sharp as when I am deciding which console game to purchase I lean towards the PS3 just because of this.
post #97 of 333 Old 03-28-2008, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Vga is blurry on my Sammy lcd as well. If using Movie mode. Which is the only mode I use. It tends to be blurry. Its the way the sharpness is set. Why Samsung locked it in at 20 using vga is beyond me. If you put yours in Standard or Dynamic mode. You notice how much more sharper it looks? Thats because they locked the sharpness in at 75. 2 things you can do. Go into the service menu and adjust your sharpness in Movie mode to 75 or stick to component.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeelaPo View Post

Just a quick question/comment folks. I've got a PS3 and an Xbox 360 (launch console). My PS3 is connected via HDMI but my 360 is only connected via VGA (this on a 5265F Samsung). I've noticed that I stay away from the Xbox 360 just because it doesn't seem as sharp as my PS3, picture wise. Is this because one is running a pure digital signal (HDMI) and one is a digital --> analogue --> digital connection (I think that's how VGA works) or is it simply my settings are not set correctly? I'm using the same settings for both the 360 (where I can, since it's set to Home Theatre PC) as I am with my PS3.

I would like to have the 360 just as sharp as when I am deciding which console game to purchase I lean towards the PS3 just because of this.

post #98 of 333 Old 04-04-2008, 12:37 AM

Whoa, I just tried these settings. But I used Movie, and turned off dynamic contrast and the picture is phenominal. I also I put game mode on and it also looks amazing!
post #99 of 333 Old 04-06-2008, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bflip1080 View Post

OK, below is the PQ problem i am having w/ my 360 and sammy lcd.
will this trick fix the below problem, and if i have my pc connected via VGA can i still connect the xbox via hdmi and use the hometheaterPC mode?

OK, has anyone noticed a checkerboard type effect in the blacks with the add-on.

I have my addon with a newer elite connected via hdmi to my samsung lcd. i can't help but notice some little boxes or like a thick window screen pattern over the blacks and other darker colors. it seems to be the xbox, because i hooked up my old vizio and saw the same problem(just less detail which is to be expected). My hd-dvr and computer show none of the similar distortion. I also tried different hdmi cables and inputs and no change. please help. thanks.

This is EXACTLY the problem im having on my 360s hdmi with my westy tv and my sony wega. So ur samsung has this issue also? maybe the 360's hdmi is just made like this? It would be nearly impossible to see this problem unless u looking at light blacks or light blues so most people prob dont even notice it. Maybe because its 1.2 hdmi and my tv is more in likely 1.3? my ps3 has zero issues using the same hdmi cord and input. My 360 recently died and bb is sending my a gift card to buy another maybe the newer models dont do this I HOPE!. Did you get ur problem fixed bflip?
post #100 of 333 Old 04-07-2008, 04:39 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Man I am so confused now. I have a Samsung 5264f with Cable in HDMI1, Xbox 360 in HDMI2 and PS3 in HDMI3. From what I have read, shoudl I swap the cable and 360 ports? And then set hdmi1 to HTPC? What will this do when watching movies on the 360?

XBL GT: Hacknerd
post #101 of 333 Old 04-07-2008, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwz26 View Post

Man I am so confused now. I have a Samsung 5264f with Cable in HDMI1, Xbox 360 in HDMI2 and PS3 in HDMI3. From what I have read, shoudl I swap the cable and 360 ports? And then set hdmi1 to HTPC? What will this do when watching movies on the 360?

it should enable full RGB for 360 games, and it doesn't seem to affect HD-DVDs, I watched plenty and there isn't black crush or a wishy washy haze, so it looks fine. When your 360 dash says that expanded reference levels affect games and movies, it does: games get the full 0-255 RGB, but DVD's regular 16-235 get stretched out to full 0-255, and can lead to bad results, any games or HD content will be fine.
post #102 of 333 Old 04-08-2008, 07:52 AM

Zero HD-

First off...great post!

I wanted to ask you...my xbox 360 does not not have hdmi input...would the settings below work the same if I'm using VGA? Or do you suggest anything else? Thanks!

Picture mode: Standard
Contrast: 90
Brightness: 44
Sharpness: greyed out
Color: greyed out
Tint: 50/50 (may be greyed out)
Backlight: 3-6
HDMI Black Level: greyed out (normal)
Black Adjust: off
Dynamic Contrast: low or medium
Gamma: 0
Color Gamut: Auto
Home Theatre PC mode: On (this tells the TV to look for true RGB)
DNIE: On (I think it is greyed out)
DNR: off
White levels: default, all 15
color levels: default, all 15

You may have to power cycle your TV, but I found resetting your picture settings had the same effect, but the important things to note are:

-HDMI 1 is named PC
-Home Theatre PC "ON" (and NOT greyed out anymore)
-Xbox 360 reference levels Expanded
-some options get greyed out when correctly activated (sharpness, etc.)
post #103 of 333 Old 04-08-2008, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

it should enable full RGB for 360 games, and it doesn't seem to affect HD-DVDs, I watched plenty and there isn't black crush or a wishy washy haze, so it looks fine. When your 360 dash says that expanded reference levels affect games and movies, it does: games get the full 0-255 RGB, but DVD's regular 16-235 get stretched out to full 0-255, and can lead to bad results, any games or HD content will be fine.

5265 owner using HDMI Input 1 from an Onkyo 605 for the PS3/HD DVR/Wii/DVD Recorder. Thursday, when I get the 360 I'll try this. I can't wait to go change every Harmony 880 activity to switch from HDMI 1 to 2. I'll use a direct connection for the 360 into HDMI 1 as I'll be out of HDMI inputs on the AVR.

Thanks for the settings.

I'm currently using 1499 settings on HDMI. I'll try applying your applicable settings to those.

XBL: mmjp08 PSN: mikeny1
post #104 of 333 Old 04-08-2008, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Samsung LN-T3253H and just got a pro system last night. Using hdmi now. My other 360 did not have it and I was using vga. In summary. Are you saying for games and hd movies. It should be set to Expanded? Then for regular dvd movies it should be set to Standard?

***EDIT***

I have tried this pc method for hdmi. No go with the Sammy LN-T3253H. Wonder why it does not work. Since I left the black level alone for hdmi on my tv to low. What setting do I need to choose to match things up with the reference levels in the 360's settings? Another thing I came across. I also have a hd-dvr box connected to my Samsung via hdmi. HDMI black level is grayed out and set to low. I noticed in my Samsung manual it says the following:

HDMI Black Level

> This function is active only when the an external device (DVD player, STB etc.) is connected to the TV via HDMI with RGB signal.

Now I am going out on a limb and could be completely wrong. But, since I can choose hdmi black level within the tv settings when using the 360. I am assuming the tv is in fact picking up the 360 as a RGB device. Which is why it should be set to Extended within the 360 settings. But, it goes back to the tv. Should the hdmi black level be set to low or normal? It says in the manual the following for the tv:

Normal: The screen gets brighter.

Low: The screen gets darker.

As I said earlier. Since I cant get this pc mode going on my model of tv. What settings do you suggest?

Quote:

post #105 of 333 Old 04-09-2008, 12:59 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I have a 46a550, and am using an Xbox via HDMI. The "Hone Theatre PC" option is not available, even greyed out. Does anyone know if there is an equivalent setting on these newer Tvs? I set all the other settings as suggested and used the 1499 calibration, but dark DVD scenes are much too dark.
post #106 of 333 Old 04-09-2008, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Any updates with getting this to work with the LN-T series of the Sammy lcds?

**EDIT**

It does work. I got things rolling and just WOW! Looks awesome. Thanks so much for your finding!

Zero HD,

Questions for ya. 1. I found I had to set hdmi black level within my tv settings to Normal. It was set to low. Then I set it up for RGB after that with your methods. Is this normal?

2. Since I use my 360 for standard dvd's for upscaling. Am I suppose to change the level within the 360's settings to Standard and leave Expanded for games only?

3. With those settings. For the black level within the tv settings. When you say greyed out. And you say (Normal) is that what you mean to change it to that instead of Low? I just want to confirm that. Thanks.

ON YOUR SAMSUNG LCD:
-Label HDMI 1 "PC" on the "inputs" tab along the left side of your TV menu
-Go to picture settings and reset them (last option), then use the following settings:

Picture mode: Standard
Contrast: 90
Brightness: 44
Sharpness: greyed out
Color: greyed out
Tint: 50/50 (may be greyed out)
Backlight: 3-6
HDMI Black Level: greyed out (normal)
Black Adjust: off
Dynamic Contrast: low or medium
Gamma: 0
Color Gamut: Auto
Home Theatre PC mode: On (this tells the TV to look for true RGB)
DNIE: On (I think it is greyed out)
DNR: off
White levels: default, all 15
color levels: default, all 15
post #107 of 333 Old 04-09-2008, 05:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 24
These still good settings or has anyone tweaked them a bit?

Sony KDL65W850A 65" LED HDTV 
Denon AVR-2113CI
Polk Monitor 65T (Fronts)
Polk Monitor 50's (Rears)
Polk CS2 (Center)
Acoustech PL-200
post #108 of 333 Old 04-10-2008, 04:18 AM

I made this change last night and it definitely makes a difference. It's not so dark in COD4 when you run into a bldg or something.

I am also curious about the standard DVD issue. I have both a PS3 and 360 so maybe I should just use the PS3 for standard DVD's.

post #109 of 333 Old 04-10-2008, 06:15 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by crakarjax View Post

I have a 46a550, and am using an Xbox via HDMI. The "Hone Theatre PC" option is not available, even greyed out. Does anyone know if there is an equivalent setting on these newer Tvs? I set all the other settings as suggested and used the 1499 calibration, but dark DVD scenes are much too dark.

on the 550 series, use HDMI2, not HDMI1 (use the one thats meant for DVI) and you'll get the desired results. Then, use the post 1499 settings with "exanded" on the xbox and you are golden for games... not sure about the whole movie debate though. TBD
post #110 of 333 Old 04-10-2008, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoRn View Post

It does work. I got things rolling and just WOW! Looks awesome. Thanks so much for your finding!

How did you get this to work? I have the same tv and Home Theater PC is greyed out. And the other settings that are suposed to be greyed out are not.
post #111 of 333 Old 04-10-2008, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonestarROB View Post

How did you get this to work? I have the same tv and Home Theater PC is greyed out. And the other settings that are suposed to be greyed out are not.

Make sure you name the input 'PC'.

post #112 of 333 Old 04-10-2008, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Make the changes for your 360 first. Then turn it off and switch your tv to another input. While in that input. Edit HDMI 1 name to PC. Power tv down. Now turn on the 360 first. Then power your tv on. Go into setup within your tv settings. Change hdmi black level to "Normal". Go into 360 settings and set it to optimal resolution. Then go into setup for your tv and turn on home theater pc mode. Sounds tricky but it really it is not.

Quote:

post #113 of 333 Old 04-10-2008, 12:31 PM

Quote:

Make the changes for your 360 first. Then turn it off and switch your tv to another input. While in that input. Edit HDMI 1 name to PC. Power tv down. Now turn on the 360 first. Then power your tv on. Go into setup within your tv settings. Change hdmi black level to "Normal". Go into 360 settings and set it to optimal resolution. Then go into setup for your tv and turn on home theater pc mode. Sounds tricky but it really it is not.

I've done exactly as you said(twice) and its still greyed out.
post #114 of 333 Old 04-10-2008, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Very weird. I know I had some trouble at first getting it to work as well. But, what I told you. Thats how I got it going. When you go into display settings for the 360. And after you done his steps before turning on HTPC. Optimal Resolution should be an option up top. Now one thing I did do. Which is some thing to do at first and this might be preventing you from setting it up right the first time. When booting the 360. I left it on for about 15 seconds or so and then turned on my tv. Try that and see if it helps.

Quote:

I've done exactly as you said(twice) and its still greyed out.

post #115 of 333 Old 04-10-2008, 01:22 PM

Quote:

Very weird. I know I had some trouble at first getting it to work as well. But, what I told you. Thats how I got it going. When you go into display settings for the 360. And after you done his steps before turning on HTPC. Optimal Resolution should be an option up top. Now one thing I did do. Which is some thing to do at first and this might be preventing you from setting it up right the first time. When booting the 360. I left it on for about 15 seconds or so and then turned on my tv. Try that and see if it helps.

Got it working. Giving it a test drive right now. Looks good/great in some parts but others look bland. I'll keep playing with the settings.

Thx
post #116 of 333 Old 04-10-2008, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Glad you got things going. You are probably just use to bright colors and what not. It looks exactly like a pc monitor when using hdmi or dvi. Warm 2 is the closest to 6500k. So, I use Movie mode. I avoid Standard and Dynamic mode all together because of that. It all comes down to preference though and what you like. Once your eyes adjust though. You will probably be pretty happy. I used bbudisin settings for Contrast 95, Brightness 51 and BackLight 2. It looks freakin awesome!

Quote:

Got it working. Giving it a test drive right now. Looks good/great in some parts but others look bland. I'll keep playing with the settings.

Thx

post #117 of 333 Old 04-10-2008, 01:54 PM

Quote:

Glad you got things going. You are probably just use to bright colors and what not. It looks exactly like a pc monitor when using hdmi or dvi. Warm 2 is the closest to 6500k.

See i like warm 1/2 better too but i cant select it anymore when doing the above(original post) steps. Only cool and normal are selectable. I also cant turn DNR off .
post #118 of 333 Old 04-10-2008, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah thats why he pretty much said you can adjust the picture to your liking after you get it rolling. Thats the whole beauty of this. Every thing is accurate and all you gotta do is set your contrast, brightness and back light. Cant really mess up on those. Not sure about the DNR. I will have to look at that and see if its set to Auto as well grayed out. I imagine you can try going back to 720p turn it off and then hit optimal resolution again. That might do the trick.

Quote:

See i like warm 1/2 better too but i cant select it anymore when doing the above(original post) steps. Only cool and normal are selectable. I also cant turn DNR off .

post #119 of 333 Old 04-10-2008, 07:53 PM

what is your other settings at koRn?
post #120 of 333 Old 04-10-2008, 08:00 PM

Okay I tried Warm 2, put dynamic contrast on high, and put super white on. and it looks AMAZING!
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page