Easiest Hack to use HDMI cable & optical output on your 360 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 02-07-2008, 12:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
http://www.chadledford.com/?p=50

Found the link through Google. Took me 30 seconds to pry apart the component video cable connector that came with my 360. Once the plastic housing is gone, the two cable coexist very nicely.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-07-2008, 12:10 AM

Liked: 10
Yea we've known about this for a good half year at least. Still always nice to post again for all the new HDMI 360 owners looking for a way to get out of buying MS's rip-off $50 cable and dongle.
post #3 of 8 Old 02-07-2008, 12:59 AM - Thread Starter

I kind of figured that might be the case, but when I saw the Monoprice VGA thread and people were still talking in that thread about buying thinner cables so they could use both the HDMI and the optical, I figured I'd post my google-find.
post #4 of 8 Old 02-07-2008, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Merrick View Post

I kind of figured that might be the case, but when I saw the Monoprice VGA thread and people were still talking in that thread about buying thinner cables so they could use both the HDMI and the optical, I figured I'd post my google-find.

Yea, it's always helpful. I noticed when I did this though the metal housing was still applying pressure on the HDMI cable which bothered me immensely considering how easily HDMI ports like to break. A few of us have found you can tear the top of the metal housing off and bend the connector up and all will be well.
post #5 of 8 Old 02-08-2008, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm not sure why but my 360 looks better going through component at 1080p rather than hdmi, I added an hd-dvd player at christmas and I have a premium with hdmi. I noticed the difference immed that things weren't as clear as they were, but if I wanna watch my hd-dvd's in 1080p I have to stay hdmi. BTW I play on a 52" sharp aquos 1080p lcd

xbox live GT: xXmaximus prime
PSN: maximus_rr
I have to go, I have a meeting with the bobs, uhhh I wasnt aware of any meeting......yeah they called me at home
post #6 of 8 Old 02-08-2008, 06:06 AM

I'm also going to modify a component cable to allow me to use HDMI. My question is can I cut off the unused portion of the cable(component video and rca audio) and only have the optical audio cable and HDMI coming from my X360. The big cable hanging on there for no reason irks me.
post #7 of 8 Old 02-08-2008, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkchurch View Post

Yea we've known about this for a good half year at least. Still always nice to post again for all the new HDMI 360 owners looking for a way to get out of buying MS's rip-off $50 cable and dongle.

The sad thing is that your average consumer probably thinks a $50 HDMI cable w/ dongle is a great deal considering the prices in the big box stores. Best Buy has a $100 Psyclone "premium" HDMI cable sitting on the next peg in my Best Buy.
post #8 of 8 Old 02-08-2008, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by juggy4805 View Post

I'm also going to modify a component cable to allow me to use HDMI. My question is can I cut off the unused portion of the cable(component video and rca audio) and only have the optical audio cable and HDMI coming from my X360. The big cable hanging on there for no reason irks me.

Yes, you simply follow the wires and pull the wire/pins out, so you're left with just the metal assy and attached optical jack.

1080p, where marketing genius and science fiction collide!
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page