Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amon37 View Post

This will not have damage.

Damage is a "coming soon" feature.

If it's like Forza then I'd rather have not damage.

I've never played Forza, so can you tell me what's wrong with the damage model? Most people want damage added in GT so there is a penalty for playing bumper cars. Without damage, I would think online races could be ruined when some people start pretending to play Burnout road rage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1624 Old 03-25-2008, 10:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD23 View Post

I've never played Forza, so can you tell me what's wrong with the damage model? Most people want damage added in GT so there is a penalty for playing bumper cars. Without damage, I would think online races could be ruined when some people start pretending to play Burnout road rage.

look at it at the :51 point of the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xGNbO9YX4o

Personally I would love some kind of damage, it is cool to have these games look very real but how much of a SIM is this game if you can't even Crash or Get the car messed up as you drift into a wall by accident.

I could see what you mean by the online + damage being bad, BUT I can easily see that being fixed by making the person get a PENALTY if they do it on purpose.
post #93 of 1624 Old 03-25-2008, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Yea, Forza 2's damage model really is not that great. It's not terrible, better than most but not really that realistic or anything.

Polyphony has always pointed out they didn't put in damage because it would be fake. And it would. With current computers its impossible to accurately model physics over a detailed model that has been deformed in some way. The tech just isn't close. Everything being done is fake and tricks. That doesn't mean I think PD shouldn't put something in their game but as Amon37 says sometimes something is worse than nothing.

Quote:

Without damage, I would think online races could be ruined when some people start pretending to play Burnout road rage.

People in ranked matches in PGR get pissed if someone tries to play bumper cars. I dunno, I doubt kiddies really want to ruin games for that long. Eventually the people who want to play for real are the ones playing.
post #94 of 1624 Old 03-25-2008, 10:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

This will not have damage.

Damage is a "coming soon" feature.

If it's like Forza then I'd rather have not damage.

I was just reading thru this and found this comment interesting. What is it you dont like about Forza's damage?
post #95 of 1624 Old 03-25-2008, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by number1laing View Post

People in ranked matches in PGR get pissed if someone tries to play bumper cars. I dunno, I doubt kiddies really want to ruin games for that long. Eventually the people who want to play for real are the ones playing.

When I first got GT5P (Japanese version) there were a bunch of "Ghost Drivers", everything from brake checks when drafting, punting you off if you tried to pass, blocking the track & driving the wrong direction.
You couldn't hardly find a clean race.
Now it's 3 months later & most of the races are clean.
I'm sure when the North American version is released it'll be the same again but the "Ghost Drivers will get tired fast & go back to Motorstorm!

It'll be great when you can set up private races & exclude the bumper car drivers all together!

"Racing is........Life.......Everything before & after is just waiting"
post #96 of 1624 Old 03-25-2008, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flood222 View Post

I was just reading thru this and found this comment interesting. What is it you dont like about Forza's damage?

How far are you willing to go to be realistic? I'm sure this is the problem that Polyphony is wrestling with. Realistic but still trying to maintain fun.

Here is the problem I have with the forza damage system compared to real life since it's supposed to be a sim.

1. I can still win a race with a damaged engine and smoking billowing out the back
2. I can still win a race with a cracked windscreen
3. I can still win a race with no front/rear bumper

Any of these scenarios in real motor sports racing would result in a cars retirement from a race or at the least a mandatory pit stop to attempt to repair the damage.

If you want more realistic damage play F1:CE.

I'd rather the person trying to play bumper cars get time penalty then be able to take me out by damaging me car.

Also and this applies to both games. If I beach my car in a gravel trap is should be race over.
post #97 of 1624 Old 03-25-2008, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

What is the BD version of this title? Does it include more features, cost more, etc. etc??
post #98 of 1624 Old 03-25-2008, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 View Post

What is the BD version of this title? Does it include more features, cost more, etc. etc??

Same cost. I believe it may include some behind the scenes or making of footage, but there is no material difference between the two.

Avarice
post #99 of 1624 Old 03-25-2008, 10:59 AM

I really hope they add the PSP rear view mirror effect for the US version of GT5P.

My racing rig demands it!

D

"One of us is in DEEP trouble."
post #100 of 1624 Old 03-25-2008, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
It lets you use your PSP as a rear view mirror?!?

That'd be ridiculously cool, lol.

Avarice
post #101 of 1624 Old 03-25-2008, 11:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

How far are you willing to go to be realistic? I'm sure this is the problem that Polyphony is wrestling with. Realistic but still trying to maintain fun.

Here is the problem I have with the forza damage system compared to real life since it's supposed to be a sim.

1. I can still win a race with a damaged engine and smoking billowing out the back

Any of these scenarios in real motor sports racing would result in a cars retirement from a race or at the least a mandatory pit stop to attempt to repair the damage.

You wont win under those senarios. I mean, you might finish the race but doubtful you'll win. Granted they don't black flag you, but...you are right it is a balance between fun and realism.

Quote:

I'd rather the person trying to play bumper cars get time penalty then be able to take me out by damaging me car.

Also and this applies to both games. If I beach my car in a gravel trap is should be race over.

You want realistic damage or you want to bounce off each other unscratched...no middle ground huh? I totally disagree with you.

At least Forza2 has the option to do damage on / off or cosmetic only. I think GT5 will most certainly need to include a damage model to compete with this generation of realism but there lies the problem. Not only do you have to make car models and interiors, but you need to model damage accurately and be up to par of the 1080p ultra realism.

Part of the reason Forza's graphics aren't totally out of this world is the physics calculations including damage. GT5 has made promises of 1080p@60fps and as we all know you have to make sacrifices in game development. If they include damage calculations and accurate physics you have to take away from something else.

I've always been under the impression that GT4 used table lookup values instead of calculating physics. Much easier to get visuals if you aren't using the CPU to calculate real time information that changes based upon thousands of non constant values.
post #102 of 1624 Old 03-25-2008, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I just heard that you will be able to turn off ABS in GT5P!
Before you could set it to 0 but that was just the weakest ABS setting & the tires would not lock up, now you can turn it completely off.

post #103 of 1624 Old 03-25-2008, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

If you want more realistic damage play F1:CE.

Pretty much agree with you, and I've always felt this way.

Brandon
post #104 of 1624 Old 03-25-2008, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by flood222 View Post

I've always been under the impression that GT4 used table lookup values instead of calculating physics. Much easier to get visuals if you aren't using the CPU to calculate real time information that changes based upon thousands of non constant values.

It did. But that is because the PS2 or any other older system didn't have the power to do realtime calculations. But, you know what, that isn't, by itself, the final word on realism in games. Even with a game like Forza that does calculations in real time the engineers still need to decide what to focus on in their simulation. And something like GT Legends is generally considered to be one of the most realistic and accurate sim out there and it was released in 1998.
post #105 of 1624 Old 03-25-2008, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

I thought that Ferrari prohibited their cars from being damaged in racing games?

Did they change that policy, or will they not be allowing Ferrari damage?

When an episode of Walker Texas Ranger was aired in France, the French surrendered to Chuck Norris just to be on the safe side.

XBL:MileHighMurder
PSN:SayH1ToYourMom
post #106 of 1624 Old 03-25-2008, 05:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Is it possible if we buy the "hard" copy that incase we lost or broke the "hard" copy that we would still be able to download it for free on PSN???
post #107 of 1624 Old 03-25-2008, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumavguy View Post

Is it possible if we buy the "hard" copy that incase we lost or broke the "hard" copy that we would still be able to download it for free on PSN???

I doubt that, it's 2 different supply streams.
When you buy something on the Play Station store it keeps a record of that tied to your account so you can download it again if you replace the hard drive or what ever.
It has no record of you buying it on Blu-Ray.

post #108 of 1624 Old 03-25-2008, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here's a couple of new trailers for GT5P.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/32235.html

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/32242.html

post #109 of 1624 Old 03-26-2008, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

I plan only to use the controller. I suppose I will not get the enjoyment with the game as I would with a wheel. I'm only an occasional gamer so I suppose the controller will have to suffice unless I get get a wheel REAL cheap!
post #110 of 1624 Old 03-26-2008, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 View Post

I plan only to use the controller. I suppose I will not get the enjoyment with the game as I would with a wheel. I'm only an occasional gamer so I suppose the controller will have to suffice unless I get get a wheel REAL cheap!

Just for giggles i checked ebay. There are a TON of steering wheels out there for cheap. I have this wheel and it worked very well on GT4 and the PC (although not officially supported on the PC i found a driver that worked perfectly.) http://cgi.*********/PS2-steering-wh...QQcmdZViewItem

There a bunch more including the driving force pro (900 degree wheel) on ebay as well. Some new, some used.
http://video-games.search.*********/...saobfmtsZinsif

You don't HAVE to spend a ton of money to get a wheel! (.....but I love my new G25!)

EDIT: I didn't know I couldn't link to ebay. Just search "logitech driving force" or "PS2 steering wheel" or something like that.

post #111 of 1624 Old 03-26-2008, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here's an interview with Kazunori Yamauchi about GT5P & some footage of the F2007!

http://www.youtube.com/swf/l.swf?vid...ASTo8I9nqIsyyD

post #112 of 1624 Old 03-26-2008, 09:58 AM

so is the f12007 only in the PAL version ? It doesn't appear in the US official list
post #113 of 1624 Old 03-26-2008, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielh1979 View Post

so is the f12007 only in the PAL version ? It doesn't appear in the US official list

From what I've heard the F2007 will be in all versions of the game, PAL, NA & Japanese with update.

post #114 of 1624 Old 03-26-2008, 10:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Bought!

Xbox Live & PSN gamertag- Daekwan
www.facebook.com/Daekwan
post #115 of 1624 Old 03-26-2008, 10:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumavguy View Post

Highly doubtful. Purchased downloads are stored on your machine and tagged to your PSN account back on Sony's servers where they keep a copy of the game to be re-downloaded if necessary. Purchased game discs are not. There is no way Sony can't be sure you didn't give your purchased copy to someone so you can get a free download.

The only other game to be sold in both formats is Warhawk and I've heard of no way the two are credited to one person. BTW, there is no game sharing allowed with Warhawk unlike other PSN downloads, which makes me think my theory is correct.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

post #116 of 1624 Old 03-26-2008, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoose View Post

Here's an interview with Kazunori Yamauchi about GT5P & some footage of the F2007!

http://www.youtube.com/swf/l.swf?vid...ASTo8I9nqIsyyD

"We are sorry, this video is no longer available".
post #117 of 1624 Old 03-26-2008, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

For the people like me that bought the Japanese version of GT5P, this should interest you!

From the Gran-Turismo.com news

Gran Turismo 5 Prologue will be undergoing a free online update to Gran Turismo Prologue Spec II at around noon on Friday, March 28.

The detailed content of the update will be announced on the day of the update, but there are some points of caution before performing the update. Please red before proceeding with the update.

(1) After updating, it will not be possible to replay the replay data created and saved before the update.

(2) Because the content of events will be renewed in the update, the event data before the update will be cleared, and those events will no longer be possible to play. (Acquired prize credits, cars in the garage, and clear information up to the A class will be carried over.)

(3) Even if an error occurs during the update, data downloaded up to the error is saved. Repeating the update will complete the download normally.

The update can be resumed as indicated below:

- Select News in My Page after starting the game
- Exit the game with the PS button, and restart the game.

* To update, you will need a Playstation 3 connected to the internet with a broadband connection, and "Gran Turismo 5 Prologue" (Either the Blu-ray disc version or downloaded version).

* All information listed in this website is for Japan. For information outside Japan, please refer to the website of your region.

Noon Japan (Tokyo) time works out to 10PM Thursday night for me!
I have 100 million credits in the bank & 8 extra Ferrari 599's to sell so F2007 here I come!!

At least I'll get some seat time in the trick new race cars before the North American version comes out & I have to start all over again.

post #118 of 1624 Old 03-26-2008, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgburns View Post

"We are sorry, this video is no longer available".

Sorry!
try this link.
http://www.youtube.com/swf/l.swf?vid...&eurl=http%3A/

post #119 of 1624 Old 03-26-2008, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoose View Post

Sorry!
try this link.
http://www.youtube.com/swf/l.swf?vid...&eurl=http%3A/

I just did a search for Yamauchi and came across both part 1 and part 2. Off to watch them now.
post #120 of 1624 Old 03-26-2008, 01:42 PM
Advanced Member

LOOK AT THIS SEXYNESS!, I can't wait until NA gets it!

Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page