The correct hard drive could not be found: WD 320gig - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 53 Old 03-13-2008, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
A warning to all of you upgrading your PS3 hard drive. I tried with 2 different WD 320 gig hard drives:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136197

None of them work. When plugging them in the PS3 formats them and they work fine. You can start downloading videos and games and copy your game saves from a memory card to this HD. BUT... after installing a game on the HD it no longer boots.

When you turn on the PS3 you get a warning that the correct hard drive could not be found.

If I cycle the power on and off I can eventually get it to boot after 7-8 times.

I'm not sure if this is a WD problem or a size problem (PS3 can't handle 320 gigs). I'm going to order one of the smaller seagate drives because people seem to have no problems with those. Even on the Egg someone reports the same problem with their PS3 in one of the reviews.

Just a warning to you all

XBL/PSN Name: Sheekamoo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 Old 03-13-2008, 06:49 PM

I swear I've seen people install 400gig hdd's before.
post #3 of 53 Old 03-13-2008, 06:52 PM

i purchased a wd passport a couple of weeks ago and it was doa. wd quality is horrible now.

SDF
post #4 of 53 Old 03-13-2008, 07:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 208
As I posted in my other thread, I have the drive and it's been flawless. Other PS3 owners who reviewed it at at newegg and at another PS3 forum I go to also have had no problems. The OP here had some bad luck (maybe his PS3 has problems), but seems to be the extreme exception to the rule... I highly recommend the WD 320GB drive, and it is now only $165 (down from $180). It is quiet, works just as fast as the stock drive, and gives you a ton of extra room cheaply.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

post #5 of 53 Old 03-13-2008, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

yeah i don't know how you can issue a blanket warning to all ps3 owners when you are an isolated user having an isolated incident.

---Mr. Met---

J-E-T-S-JETS JETS JETS!!!!!!! --- LETS GO DE-VILS!!!!!!! --- LETS GO METS!!!!!!! --- LETS GO NETS!!!!!!!
post #6 of 53 Old 03-13-2008, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by talbain View Post

yeah i don't know how you can issue a blanket warning to all ps3 owners when you are an isolated user having an isolated incident.

So I can't tell people that in my experience with two of these drives they failed on me? It worked for you and not for me. If you have the right to post on here that it worked, then I have the same right to post that it didn't work for me. Why you're jumping on me for stating my opinion is beyond me.

My 60 gig drive works fine and a 120 gig drive I have works fine as well. My PS3 isn't the issue here.

And I've read of other users having this exact same problem (not on this AVS site though).

I'm just posting my experience. I'm not telling people NOT to buy the drive. It's one of the best deals and it's a great size drive. I bought it as a recommendation from the original thread on this site.

post #7 of 53 Old 03-14-2008, 02:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Firstly your post at the top is wrong... the PS3 can see 320 GB drives, or 500 GB, or 1TB, or whatever size you put in. I don't know how you missed that if you successfully installed it twice and it initially worked fine for you.

Then in my thread you mention that the one Newegg PS3 owner had issues with the drive beside you (a drive with a perfect 5-star rating from all the other PS3 owners), but 20 minutes later you are now claiming here that multiple PS3 users somewhere had a problem with it. Lastly, you replaced a 60 GB drive with a 120 GB that worked fine according to your post, but now a 320 GB? I guess the 120 gigger filled up fast.

All of this may be 100% legit, and if the problem is your PS3 or drives I hope it can get resolved. But don't get upset if some people think it sounds rather peculiar.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

post #8 of 53 Old 03-14-2008, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
I have not one but 2 320gb drives in my two PS3's

hate to say it but you must be doing something wrong.
post #9 of 53 Old 03-14-2008, 08:17 AM

Just bought the WD 320 G Scorpio HDD @ BB for $149 last week. Been working fine ever since.

I did have problems using the old USB-SATA connector. Had to buy a new external case. So now the old 80 G Seagate works fine

PSN: RE-VOLUTION
post #10 of 53 Old 03-14-2008, 08:28 AM

Liked: 11
I had the same problem with my 250gb scorpio. I don't remember what I did to get it to work, but it was something quick and simple. Did you turn it off and then back on from the power switch on the back?
post #11 of 53 Old 03-14-2008, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Can someone throw up a link for where I'd find out how to go about adding a HDD to my PS3, do you have to break it open or are you guys just connecting through USB or something similar.

I want to stream radio stations off the web but I get the error "please speicfy save location" when I try to open it...does anyone know if this is possible? Can you save Realplayer or WMP to the Sony? Pls. PM me if you want.

Thanks for the help,
post #12 of 53 Old 03-14-2008, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIAaron View Post

I had the same problem with my 250gb scorpio. I don't remember what I did to get it to work, but it was something quick and simple. Did you turn it off and then back on from the power switch on the back?

Yea... I tried that.

I'm now doing a complete format of the hard drive from the PS3. Initially when I put it in the PS3 formated the disk and it was good to go. The format took about a whole 5 seconds. Now that I'm doing a complete format it is taking about 21 hours to complete. I think I have about 6-7 left now. We'll see what happens after that.

I also plan on returning my PS3 settings to their default. Maybe there's some problem where the PS3 is expecting to read a different hard drive. I'm pretty sure this isn't the case but I'll have to try it at least. If the PS3 is reverted to default settings and the hard drive has been fully re-formated from within the PS3, then I'm not sure what else I can do if this doesn't work.

I guess I'll download one thing at a time and then restart the PS3 a couple of times. Maybe then I'll be able to figure something out. Hopefully what I'm doing now will work. I'd really like to have this HD in my PS3 because it's just as fast as the stock one and gives me more space then I'll ever need.

post #13 of 53 Old 03-14-2008, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottscb View Post

Can someone throw up a link for where I'd find out how to go about adding a HDD to my PS3, do you have to break it open or are you guys just connecting through USB or something similar.

I want to stream radio stations off the web but I get the error "please speicfy save location" when I try to open it...does anyone know if this is possible? Can you save Realplayer or WMP to the Sony? Pls. PM me if you want.

Thanks for the help,

http://youtube.com/watch?v=AuyQPW3bDS0

You can't stream music from the web directly on your PS3. You can do a lot though with TVersity from what I've read. TVersity installs on one of your PC's and streams movies, music, and pictures to your PS3.

post #14 of 53 Old 03-14-2008, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

But don't get upset if some people think it sounds rather peculiar.

That's the problem. You're taking my issue and answering me like a typical fanboy would. You're assuming that I'm here to stir things up. I'm free to post my experience thus far with this product and my PS3... you're free to ignore me if you don't believe me.

My hope is that maybe someone has had this same experience as me (possibly with the same hard drive) and can either tell me what I'm doing wrong, that my PS3 needs to be repaired, or that my HD is bad and won't work.

post #15 of 53 Old 03-14-2008, 01:30 PM

I can't help with your problem but I just got the same hard drive last week and it works great with a quick format and re-applying my custom settings.
post #16 of 53 Old 03-21-2008, 12:19 AM

Same here, exact drive (320 GB WD) and it works fine. I did this when my PS3 was new and before I started downloading games if that is any help. The WD is a great drive, use the replaced/ existing 40GB as a pocket drive with Rosewill box (cheap, also on newegg.com). What I would do is re-format under Windows (wipe it clean) as FAT 32 and reinstall your PS3 backup. I know the FAT 32 isn't a required step, but if there's a problem you can run most drive diagnostics under Windows. Are you sure there isn't more to this story, like you are also doing Linux or something? (I don't mean to be accusative, just wondering).
post #17 of 53 Old 03-21-2008, 01:45 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Looks like I may have just got 2 bad hard drives. I just found it odd that they worked some times and not others. Usually if a drive goes bad... it doesn't work at all.

I tried formating the drive on the PS3 and on my PC. I restored the PS3 to it's default state and everything... nothing worked. I was just unlucky.

I bought the 250 gig WD drive off newegg and it's been working great... no issues at all.

post #18 of 53 Old 03-21-2008, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 21
The chances are both of your drives were/are fine and the issue is user error.

Joeblow is in no way a "fanboy." He simply responded to your overblown statement saying that this drive should be avoided by everyone. He offered substantial proof to the contrary.

John
post #19 of 53 Old 03-21-2008, 10:37 AM

My WD 320gb drive has worked perfectly for months.
post #20 of 53 Old 03-24-2008, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarlp View Post

So I can't tell people that in my experience with two of these drives they failed on me? It worked for you and not for me. If you have the right to post on here that it worked, then I have the same right to post that it didn't work for me. Why you're jumping on me for stating my opinion is beyond me.

My 60 gig drive works fine and a 120 gig drive I have works fine as well. My PS3 isn't the issue here.

And I've read of other users having this exact same problem (not on this AVS site though).

I'm just posting my experience. I'm not telling people NOT to buy the drive. It's one of the best deals and it's a great size drive. I bought it as a recommendation from the original thread on this site.

First of all let me thank you for posting your problems on the forums as im having the exact same problem with my new WD3200BEVT 320 HD in my PS3.
Id appreciate any information on how to remedy this problem from any one. As you can imagine im very frustrated. Thankyou
post #21 of 53 Old 03-24-2008, 10:33 AM

Man I hope my drive isn't part of a bad batch. So far I tried dusting the SATA contacts with forced air, dusting the HDD bay, and quick formatting. No good. Its like you described, boots up correctly only 20 percent of the time. Other wise it says correct hard drive could not be found. Im now trying to do a complete format on the ps3 which will take 18 hours. Hope i figure this out.
post #22 of 53 Old 03-24-2008, 10:39 AM

I've got a 500 GB HDD 3.5" WD that works perfect. However, when I plug it in with usb, It won't detect it. External enclosure is Rosewill.
post #23 of 53 Old 03-24-2008, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypayday View Post

Man I hope my drive isn't part of a bad batch. So far I tried dusting the SATA contacts with forced air, dusting the HDD bay, and quick formatting. No good. Its like you described, boots up correctly only 20 percent of the time. Other wise it says correct hard drive could not be found. Im now trying to do a complete format on the ps3 which will take 18 hours. Hope i figure this out.

Maybe you just got a bad batch like me... or maybe the SATA/HD connectors on some of the PS3's are different. You can try another 320 gig drive and see if it works... I ended up with the 250 gig WD drive and it works great.

post #24 of 53 Old 03-24-2008, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSLM View Post

I've got a 500 GB HDD 3.5" WD that works perfect. However, when I plug it in with usb, It won't detect it. External enclosure is Rosewill.

You need to format it as FAT32. The PS3 won't see anything else (it's probably formated as NTFS right now.

If you're running XP you should be able to do it easily. If you're running Vista you can do it via the command line.

Go to start -> run -> type in: cmd

Press enter

Type the following:

format X: /FS:FAT32

replaced "X" with your external drive letter.

You should be good to go after that.

Edit: If you format it you will lose everything on the hard drive.

post #25 of 53 Old 04-02-2008, 01:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Just picked up the WD 320gig yesterday. Easy install (~10mins). Working beautifully so far! Thanks for the info and (reverse) recommendation.

Funny tidbit: while unscrewing the blue screw, I lost the end of my small phillips screwdriver attachment in my console. It fell in the small space to the right of the drive, then proceeded to fall through the holes in the drive casing. I tried to rattle it back out, but it lodged itself somewhere deep in the console's innards and ceased moving. So, it ain't coming back out. I'm hoping nothing gets fried...

Other than that, easy install and works great.

Oh, and when people warn you about stripping the screws, they aren't kidding. You really need to be firm and patient with those screws.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #26 of 53 Old 04-02-2008, 02:11 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm cross-posting this from another forum I frequent, hoping someone out there can help.

I decided to upgrade my 40 GB PS3 HDD to a 250 HDD. Biggest complaints are that the screws are wicked tight and a motherf--ker to loosen, and that Sony has changed the way one removes the HDD. So what you see in all those youtube videos of people removing their HDD? Well the 40 GB doesn't look like that.

Anyway, now to my problem. Got everything straightened away, put HDD back in slot. According to everything I've read, I should've been able to just turn on the system and then be prompted with a formatting request by the PS3 for the new drive. Nope. I didn't hear any noises from the drive, and when I later removed it, it was warm. So I know it was being read.

Instead I'm greeted with "No applicable update data was found", and the system wanting me to connect a storage device to the PS3 with firmware 2.20. Uh oh. As usual, google is your friend, and I found a thread over on gametrailers where a guy had a similar problem. Just had to go and download the 2.20 firmware onto a USB drive and then connect it to PS3. Making sure to place the file in the right folders and directoriy, keeping in mind capitalization.

Did that. But . . . the PS3 isn't recognizing the drive. Which is odd, b/c it's the same drive that I used to backup my saves and what not. So I take it all apart, place 40 GB HDD back in, and all is well. And I take a look at the USB drive and it shows the 2.20 update is on there, and the PS3 gives me the option of installing the same firmware again. So I know the USB drive is fine. Put the 250 GB HDD back in, still the same problem.

So here I am, exhausted all the resources of the internet. Figure it's time to call Sony. Only for some reason, unlike MS has had since 2001 (note the date RRoD jokers), Sony doesn't have 24/7 tech support. So anyone have any ideas? There is not a possible thing that I think I have overlooked, but I'm open to suggestions.

Don't think it's a bad HDD, but really no way to tell. I don't have a HDD enclosure to test it. And I have a sneaking suspicion, that like all companies, Sony is going to blame the foreign article and not give a good faith effort in helping me troubleshoot.
post #27 of 53 Old 04-02-2008, 03:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
This probably isn't the best thread for your questions.

Regardless, I've got a few questions/comments for you based on your stated issues:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post

when I later removed it, it was warm. So I know it was being read.

Not necessarily. The console generates heat in other places, as we all know. And as we also all know, metal conducts heat pretty well. So, that's not a good indicator for HDD use in the console. In any event, that's neither here nor there and has nothing to do with the issue at hand.

Quote:

Just had to go and download the 2.20 firmware onto a USB drive and then connect it to PS3. Making sure to place the file in the right folders and directoriy, keeping in mind capitalization.

How are you doing this without a working HDD? Something's not adding up here.

Quote:

Did that. But . . . the PS3 isn't recognizing the drive. Which is odd, b/c it's the same drive that I used to backup my saves and what not.

??? You're backing up your saves on the same drive you're then trying to use as your replacement HDD? Again, something's amiss here. You're doing something that you're not saying.

Quote:

So I take it all apart, place 40 GB HDD back in, and all is well. And I take a look at the USB drive and it shows the 2.20 update is on there, and the PS3 gives me the option of installing the same firmware again.

And again, something's "off" in what you're saying and doing. Once you install the firmware, that's it. It's there. Swap HDDs all you want. It's still there. So putting back in the old drive, 2.20 shouldn't need to be reinstalled or anything.

Quote:

Only for some reason, unlike MS has had since 2001 (note the date RRoD jokers), Sony doesn't have 24/7 tech support.

I've you've ever had to deal with MS support, you know that "24/7" doesn't help much. Usually any call to MS support involves more than one call, and often involves more than a few. Sony, on the other hand, has been very kind and helpful to me. One call.

Here's the deal: start over from scratch. Only do the things that this post tells you to do. Be sure you have already installed 2.20 before you remove your initial HDD.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #28 of 53 Old 04-02-2008, 06:16 AM
M4H

Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

Funny tidbit: while unscrewing the blue screw, I lost the end of my small phillips screwdriver attachment in my console. It fell in the small space to the right of the drive, then proceeded to fall through the holes in the drive casing. I tried to rattle it back out, but it lodged itself somewhere deep in the console's innards and ceased moving. So, it ain't coming back out. I'm hoping nothing gets fried...

That could lead to a nasty short - and if you send it back to Sony with a piece of extra loose metal rattling around, don't expect warranty coverage.

I'd recommend shining a flashlight around, and seeing if you can (gently!) nudge it back out with a wooden skewer.
post #29 of 53 Old 04-02-2008, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

This probably isn't the best thread for your questions.

Regardless, I've got a few questions/comments for you based on your stated issues:
Not necessarily. The console generates heat in other places, as we all know. And as we also all know, metal conducts heat pretty well. So, that's not a good indicator for HDD use in the console. In any event, that's neither here nor there and has nothing to do with the issue at hand.

How are you doing this without a working HDD? Something's not adding up here.

??? You're backing up your saves on the same drive you're then trying to use as your replacement HDD? Again, something's amiss here. You're doing something that you're not saying.

And again, something's "off" in what you're saying and doing. Once you install the firmware, that's it. It's there. Swap HDDs all you want. It's still there. So putting back in the old drive, 2.20 shouldn't need to be reinstalled or anything.

I've you've ever had to deal with MS support, you know that "24/7" doesn't help much. Usually any call to MS support involves more than one call, and often involves more than a few. Sony, on the other hand, has been very kind and helpful to me. One call.

Here's the deal: start over from scratch. Only do the things that this post tells you to do. Be sure you have already installed 2.20 before you remove your initial HDD.

The other drive, with my back ups and the 2.20 firmware downloaded from Sony's site, is a USB flash drive. I already had downloaded 2.20 to my PS3 before starting this proecess. The PS3 is simply not recognizing the USB flash drive when I have the 250 GB HDD installed. It does recognize the USB drive when the 40 GB drive is placed back in the PS3.

It was my mistake even bringing up MS.
post #30 of 53 Old 04-02-2008, 08:44 AM

Liked: 11
When did you get your 40gb? I got mine in Nov of last year and the hard drive replacement for it was identical to my 60gb.
Reply PlayStation Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page