Anybody get the 80029940 error on a Blu Ray movie? - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 63 Old 10-20-2013, 05:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
SirLonny, I have been dealing with the error watching blu ray discs on my ps3 for months now. Have tried every resolution on this forum and every other not believing that it could be my drive, as all blu ray games and DVD'S work fine. Applied the settings you listed above without reboot and immediatley was able to watch blu ray with no problem. I hope others will take the time to follow the simple instructions. Thanks again!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 63 Old 04-16-2014, 02:21 PM

Liked: 10
Works fine - thanks
post #63 of 63 Old 07-05-2014, 09:38 PM

Liked: 0
Out of over a thousand movies I've owned on both bluray and DVD I just encountered this error for the first time today trying to watch 'Tomorrow Never Dies' from the 50 years of Bond box set. I still have the original fat ps3 that has never caused me any issues before today. Actually me and 3 friends all purchased our ps3's at the same time and I'm the only one who hasn't had to go buy a new unit. That's another story altogether. So I followed a couple suggestions I found in this forum but they didn't work. I then turned off the 24/fps setting and it worked. Shut down the movie right away to try it again, this time it didn't work, got the same error as before and I hadn't changed anything since I got it to work. So I changed the settings back to their originals and rebooted the ps3. This time I just kept trying to play the movie after I got the error. After about the fifth attempt it would work, kind of...

When it got to the main menu it skipped a little bit, but I thought who cares it's the movie I want. So played the movie with no problems for a few minutes. I then decided to fast forward through the rest of it. At about the halfway point in the movie it froze. Stopped the movie, and took the same steps to get it to work again. This time I used the skip chapter to go through the movie and again it froze at about the halfway mark. I used the chapter back button to go back to the last chapter I know worked and watched the movie from that point forward. It stopped in the middle of that chapter where I assume the layer break is for the disc. I can hear the laser motor trying to read the disc, but nothing happens. I shut the movie off and repeated the same steps for a 3rd and 4th time to get the movie to play just to make sure it wasn't a fluke the first 2 times. I am now 100% without a doubt sure it's a manufacturing defect in the disc (there were no visible scratches or smudges on the disc) and not an issue with the ps3. I'm going to try contacting MGM to see if they know about this or if I'm the first one, and hopefully they'll send me a replacement disc. If not amazon.com has the movie for sale for $4.99 on bluray which if MGM won't help, I'd gladly pay.

When reading this thread, the one thing that I noticed that was a constant, was that Netflix discs were doing this. I have no proof, but I would assume the manufactures of these discs send out their poor quality discs to rental services such as Netflix because they don't make any money off of the rental, just the original purchase that Netflix made.
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page