Anybody get the 80029940 error on a Blu Ray movie? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 63 Old 03-26-2008, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 148
I got "No Country For Old Men" on Blu Ray via Blockbuster Online the other day. Last nite, I watched it on the PS3 in my theater room no problem. When I first turned on the PS3, it asked me to update it to the newer firmware, but I didn't do it cause I was in a hurry to watch the movie.

So, I watch the movie and everything was fine.

Tonite, my wife wanted to see the movie, but she just wanted to watch it in the living room. (We have another PS3 in there) So I turn on the PS3 in the living room, and it also said to update to the new firmware (2.20), and I went ahead and did it. Then, once that was all over, I put in "No Country", but I got a "This video cannot be played (80029940)" error message. Tried it again, same thing. Tried it a third time. Same thing. Tried it a 4th time, same thing. Had to apologize to my wife, and she had to just watch some TV instead.

I did some google searches on the 80029940 error message, and most people seem to think it has to do with a problem on the Blu Ray disk, but the disk played absolutely fine on my other PS3, so I don't think it has anything to do with the disk. I examined the disk, and it appeared to be in flawless condition.

I wonder if this has something to do with the new 2.20 firmware? I wonder if I put the 2.20 firmware on my theater room PS3, if that one won't play this disk either? hmm..... Strange.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 63 Old 03-27-2008, 04:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After it failed in your living room, did you try it again in your theater room, using the old firmware?

SXRD/Oppo/Yamaha/Klipsch
PS3/PSN: pj_rage
360/Live: pjrage82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daekwan
Dude please, your list of toys is so long its like Santa is your dad lol.
post #3 of 63 Old 03-27-2008, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ_Rage View Post

After it failed in your living room, did you try it again in your theater room, using the old firmware?

No, cause that would require me to fire up the projector, and I only do that when I know that I have at least 3 hours to watch stuff or play games or whatever. I hate using the projector for short periods of time, because every time you "strike the bulb", it's like using 3 or 4 hours of the bulbs life, regardless if you only need to use the projector for 30 minutes.

Next time I fire up the projector (probably tonite), I'll try it.
post #4 of 63 Old 03-27-2008, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
It might be a network issue? I noticed that when I put B/D into the ps3 for the 1st time after the update, the ps3 asked if it can access the internet. I selected the yes option, and had no problems.

Go Phillies! Go Eagles! Go Sixers! Go Flyers!
post #5 of 63 Old 05-16-2008, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I just updated to the newest firmware then started to watch Die Hard 4. We got to about 10 minutes left and the disc started to freeze, so I thought there might be a scratch. I took the disc out but didn't see anything except fingerprints (this is a BB rental).

I cannot get back into the movie at all now, not even the menu.
post #6 of 63 Old 05-17-2008, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
I got that error on Blue Planet. Considering I've been having internet issues, that explains it. I thought it was a problem with the updates since 2.20 but it turns out my DSL modem was fried.
post #7 of 63 Old 05-19-2008, 07:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Your BD drive is failing/failed. Exactly what happed to me.
post #8 of 63 Old 05-19-2008, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by perpetual98 View Post

yeah same thing happened to my brothers 80gb ps3, your drive has died.
post #9 of 63 Old 05-19-2008, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

I put in another movie that I own, and it came up fine.
post #10 of 63 Old 05-19-2008, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm the guy that started this thread. I had the 80029940 code a long time ago, but my BD drive hasn't failed. At least not yet (knocks on wood). I currently own two 60 gig PS3's, and I'm pretty sure I've had that code happen once on each of the PS3's. One time was with Blue Planet, and one time was with No Country For Old Me. The interesting thing about it, is that each movie worked fine in the opposite PS3, but wouldn't play when put into the other PS3. Pretty freaking strange, but I haven't really thought too much about it lately. I seriously doubt that the BD drive on both these units is about to fail. Maybe if I was constantly getting that error code everytime I put a BD in the unit, but I've only seen it happen once on each PS3.
post #11 of 63 Old 05-20-2008, 03:29 AM

I know on my 80gig ps3 that its very sensitive to finger prints. When ever I've had issues playing a game or a bluray its normally the finger prints that have accumulated on to the disk. Once I clean the disk I've yet to have issues til need cleaning again.

For some reason it seems that the lazer is very sensitive in the ps3 so if you notice finger prints it needs to be cleaned for sure.
post #12 of 63 Old 05-20-2008, 03:05 PM

I've been getting this problem from rental blu-rays from Blockbuster.

When I rented War the movie froze half way through. After resetting the PS3 I was able to watch the movie again.

I recently rented The Golden Compass and I accidentally hit the eject button while watching the movie. When I inserted the movie back in I got this error code. Resetting the PS3 did not work this time. I tried again the next day and the disc played fine. However when the movie was over and I wanted to jump to a specific scene to watch again the movie gave me the error code. I kept inserting it several times, and I would sometimes get the triangle play button in the lower left corner of my TV but the menus never came up. I turned on the display button on the PS3 and I could see that in the timeline area the arrow looked like it was fast forwarding/skipping through chapter 1 and then it would go to chapters in the 500s. It would keep repeating this. The whole time nothing form the movie ever appeared on my screen.

Each time this has happened I put in a blu-ray I own and that always plays fine so it seems like it just the disc.
post #13 of 63 Old 05-28-2009, 02:21 PM

sorry for the one-year update of the thread....... but I got this today also, and I "Think" it's the disc..... has this been confirmed now?
post #14 of 63 Old 05-28-2009, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

no real confirmation, but I tried watching a BD of Jethro Tull and I got the error. This is the ONLY disc that I've gotten this error on...and my BD drive is alive and well.
post #15 of 63 Old 06-01-2009, 09:36 PM

Just got this error on my PS3 with a blu-ray of Batman Begins, was a finger print on the edge of the disc, once removed it seems to play fine. Got paranoid for a second as twice in the last week I've had friends whose PS3's all of a sudden no longer recognize blu-rays (DVD's are fine).
post #16 of 63 Old 06-25-2009, 10:26 AM

my ps3 (bought on day 1) has just started giving me error 80029940 when i try to play blu-ray movies, blu-ray games however are no problem. if it is the bd drive failing, why am i having no trouble with my bd game discs? i have 64bd movies and 58 bd games. my ps3 runs for long periods 3-4 times a week. i have tried all suggestions mentioned above. before i go ahead and order a new laser. does anyone else have any ideas? please help.....driving me nuts
also, some bd movies discs are not even being recognised.
post #17 of 63 Old 06-25-2009, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, I personally would recommend using a standard DVD lens cleaning optical disc (with the miniature micro fiber brushes) to clean the lens first. These can be had for around $10. Some on here will likely tell you that you shouldn't use these lens cleaning discs on a BD drive, but I've never experienced any adverse effects, and I doubt anyone here has either.

It'd be worth a shot if the alternative is replacing your BD drive
post #18 of 63 Old 06-25-2009, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

I got this error on a Netflix-rented "Nacho Libre" last week. I've had the PS3 since Jan. 2007, and this is the first time this error ever came up on a BD. Everything else works fine. Tried cleaning the disc, although it looked immaculate. Didn't help. Sent it back and got a replacement disc, which works fine.
post #19 of 63 Old 06-26-2009, 12:14 PM

thanks for the reply. tried a standard lens cleaner, twice. still no joy.
got it to recognise ghostbusters yesterday but it skipped, froze, lost audio and then just stopped reading it. put infamous in straight after and booted instantly.
new laser it is then.
post #20 of 63 Old 06-26-2009, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Man, that all sounds a bit fishy considering it is still reading BDs (eg your games) and standard DVDs. I don't know what else to tell you, except maybe try giving Tech Support a call to see if maybe that problem cropped up before and they know what the issue is.

Again, just worth a shot before replacing that laser.
post #21 of 63 Old 07-23-2009, 10:09 PM

Turn off SuperWhite under DVD settings, you don't need it if you are using HDMI, and the Blu-ray disc should play fine.
post #22 of 63 Old 08-01-2009, 03:05 PM

I am getting the same error code with Batman: Dark Knight. However, my problem is a bit different. My other Blu-rays don't even show up the XMB. I can see in the top right corner that there is activity going on and the system is trying to read the disc, but then there is no icon showing on the XMB. Only Dark Knight, but it doesn't play and gives the error code 80022940. This on a MGS edition 80GB.

All my games play fine. Only movies not playing, whether DVD or Blu-ray.

Also, the same movies work fine on my 2nd PS3 (newer 80GB). So it can't be the discs.

I've contacted Sony already and all they can say is to send it in. But it's out of warranty and if I have to pay the 150 to have it fix, i might as well buy a new one that will at least come with a warranty.
post #23 of 63 Old 08-01-2009, 04:27 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
^your BD laser if failing.

PSN ID: frank_and_beans
post #24 of 63 Old 08-01-2009, 04:28 PM
Advanced Member

o and if you buy a new one, ill buy that one off you pm me if your intersted

post #25 of 63 Old 08-01-2009, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuke2 View Post

Turn off SuperWhite under DVD settings, you don't need it if you are using HDMI, and the Blu-ray disc should play fine.

Ignore this erroneous info.
post #26 of 63 Old 08-11-2009, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krzykrl View Post

^your BD laser if failing.

OK...now i can forget about the sony service....anyways...i bought a NEW replacement lens kit...installed the new one in....and well...still getting the same problem....so it's gotta be something else, right? YES i made sure it was the right model to match.....and they both look the same....

anyone else have any other suggestions?

Krzykrl.....check your pm.....
post #27 of 63 Old 08-12-2009, 06:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyaj9 View Post

OK...now i can forget about the sony service....anyways...i bought a NEW replacement lens kit...installed the new one in....and well...still getting the same problem....so it's gotta be something else, right? YES i made sure it was the right model to match.....and they both look the same....

anyone else have any other suggestions?

Krzykrl.....check your pm.....

you state that it plays games and dvds but not blu rays correct? a game is a blu ray though..

From the sounds of this it's not your actual laser but the BD board. The circuit board attached to the drive housing. THese are tricky because they cannot just be swapped. Each board is "married" to the original motherboard via certian keys.

I'm still researching on ways to fix this issue. I know of some sites that sell certain IC's on that specific board.. wondering if those might fix the issue.

post #28 of 63 Old 08-17-2009, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughmc View Post

Ignore this erroneous info.

Actually, this fixed it for me
post #29 of 63 Old 08-27-2009, 09:40 PM

I've been getting this message on 3 of the 4 seasons of Weeds blu ray. I'm on my third copy of season 1, Amazon has great customer service and has sent me a total 3 replacement disks. Now, season 4 played fine for 3 nights and then suddenly the last 3 episodes won't play. I'll try some of the above remedies when I get home and report back.
post #30 of 63 Old 08-29-2009, 06:15 AM

Cleaned the disk - there were lots of prints - and this did the trick! FUnny, it was only on the Weeds disks that I had this problem.
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page