PS3ToothFairy IR Retrofit/Assembly for PS3 Bluetooth Remotes - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 461 Old 08-13-2008, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
And another post with some information that was valuable to some people, so i'll post it again:

Quote:

No firmware changes, the sequence engine and the protocol emulation are in the firmware. I let you alter the actual instructions that the sequence engine executes. For the protocol, the official Sony Remote requires you to press Start + Enter and hold that down until the screen changes. If Sony changed it to L1 + Enter the ps3toothfairy would do that the same way. Press Angle, then L1, then hold enter. When you press Angle (or whatever you configure the Attn key to), it holds the next key for as long as you press the 3rd key.

If you look at the PS3 protocol you will see that it has 2 events, button press and button release for every button. It also has a "mask" to say what buttons are pressed, such as if you press L1 while holding R2. The ps3toothfairy combo keys function handles all these for you.

This is the reason that when you pair, you press angle, then start, then hold down enter (or ok on the harmony).

So lets say Sony changes the shutdown sequence (and they make one that works for everything). Then I will put a list of key tuples on the site you can program into the ps3toothfairy. Then it will use its sequence engine to run that macro for you. The macro and all other settings are non-volatile. So they will remain even if you remove the power.

If you totally screw it up, there are two methods for restoring the default settings.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

BTW, Due to the current test procedure and the great people on these forums ...
a) Not a single person has even asked to return the unit
b) EVERY unit / part / accessory that has gone out has worked, nothing has gone out broken

Hopefully we can keep up the good streak!

Thanks
Ayman

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 461 Old 08-13-2008, 09:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I've made the USB cable active now

USB Cable.
post #93 of 461 Old 08-22-2008, 02:43 PM

Liked: 10
Greetings all,

I’ve finally decided to pull the trigger on “downsizing” to one remote. I plan on getting the ProntoPro TSU9800 (unless someone can recommend something better).

That brings me here. To integrate my PS3, I’ve seen the IR2BT and the PS3toothfairy. Could someone please explain to me the differences and why someone would choose one over the other? Also, if I order now, when could I expect to have one?

Thanks in advance.

-BS
post #94 of 461 Old 08-22-2008, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hi BigSexy,

In the spirit of full disclosure, I am the developer / engineer that develops and sells the ps3toothfairy. I encourage you to read a couple of user reviews for yourself at www.ps3toothfairy.com/elite

As for shipping, if you order today with a credit card, it goes out no later than 2 days, most orders go out the next day. I have them in stock. They ship via priority (us) and express (intl). I've recently changed to express for the intl orders because it is only 2-3 dollars more but is delivered in 3-5 days rather than 6-14. For domestic shipping I charge only what I am charged plus a small (1$ or so) for packing, etc. For US orders it is currently $6.05 and most users (except miami for some reason) get them in 2 business days, miami in 3.

The main differences are

a) that the ps3toothfairy uses the genuine Sony electronics for the bluetooth (so if the official Sony remote works, the ps3toothfairy will work too).
b) The user programmable and built-in shutdown macros are inside the ps3toothfairy. So you only have to trigger them and then it takes over and shuts down by itself. If you are using a Harmony, there is a PwrOff command in the ps3toothfairy device that does everything for you.
c) There is a boat load of user documentation, FAQs, user manual, etc on the ps3toothfairy website.

And one thing that may/may not be different is that users will say that my customer service is top-notch.
post #95 of 461 Old 08-24-2008, 02:09 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Hey bigsexy check out my quick review here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post14510455

I can fully recomend this device, works as advertised and is the most future proof out of all on offer. If Sony changes its firmware and the power off sequence is changed, then its just a matter of changing your power off macro by recording your own. Other products either have you sending it back to get it changed or requiring you to D/L updates from there website. And theres no guarantee they will still be in business or supporting there product in 12 months time or for the life you have your PS3.

A1 service, fully recommend.

James
post #96 of 461 Old 08-25-2008, 09:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSexy View Post

Greetings all,

I've finally decided to pull the trigger on downsizing to one remote. I plan on getting the ProntoPro TSU9800 (unless someone can recommend something better).

That brings me here. To integrate my PS3, I've seen the IR2BT and the PS3toothfairy. Could someone please explain to me the differences and why someone would choose one over the other? Also, if I order now, when could I expect to have one?

Thanks in advance.

-BS

Having used a Pronto remote, I still find that I prefer the Harmony remotes (880 or Harmony One). The large tablet remote thing seems like a lot of fun but it gets very tedious when you just want to be able to flip through the channels on your Tivo.
post #97 of 461 Old 08-31-2008, 07:28 PM

Aymanme,
When will you have more of the ELITE models ready for resale ?
post #98 of 461 Old 08-31-2008, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I've got them already, they came in Friday/Saturday. I'll put them up for sale in the next day or two, but no later than Tuesday evening. Sign up on the mailing list since I send out an email whenever I put more up for sale. I have elites, lots of micro power supplies and IR cables, the only item I don't have many of is the USB power cables.
post #99 of 461 Old 09-03-2008, 09:18 PM
Advanced Member

I have ordered a unit...I want to use my usb-uirt and girder to send the ir commands to the unit as I have touchscreen setup with Netremote talking to girder which then sends the ir. Girder learns ir or we can cut and paste in pronto codes into the ir window....question is do you have those codes available in that phillips format?

Edit : I note this competitive device is up on remotecentral with clean phillips pronto will these codes be the same given it is ps2 remote?
http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin...ame/ir4ps3.zip

No matter where you go there you are!
post #100 of 461 Old 09-04-2008, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hello RickD, thanks for your order. I have pronto codes, but I suppose I have never posted them to the site. Any PS2 remote pronto codes would work for the 51 normal keys, and then the sony dvd discrete off would work for the shutdown macro. The only issue might be the keys have the wrong name, but I've posted a look-up table on the site that maps the key names.

So I just looked at that one and it probably would work for at least key set #1, the ps3toothfairy also supports 4 device codes, but I am not sure if they are the same devices as shown in the other device. So you may want to give that a try, otherwise use the ones I've provided. I have never used them, but I have not heard from others of any problems.

http://www.ps3toothfairy.com/ps3toot...onto_codes.csv
post #101 of 461 Old 09-04-2008, 09:03 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks I will try your codes and paste them into my usb-uirt or create an ir profile...

Thanks and nice work....this makes the ps3 integratable into a touch screen system for media based stuff

also where is the power on code?

No matter where you go there you are!
post #102 of 461 Old 09-05-2008, 05:38 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

So the power on is a strange beast on the PS3. The way that I handled it is that I used the "PS" button that is on the normal PS3 remote. This behavior depends on how you have the ps3toothfairy setup. In general, when you press the PS button the device will power on and further presses of the button don't do anything. Well, ok, they show the battery meter which is sent as part of the bluetooth packet. Then to turn it off you send the power off code. The power off has no direct mapping to the ps3, instead it executes a macro in the device, yours or mine, that will walk the ps3 through a shutdown.
post #103 of 461 Old 09-08-2008, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
My unit arrived today... unpacked, connected and configured in 5 minutes. It works flawlessly with my Harmony 720. USB power cable from STB -> PS3TF for power is great and saves an outlet.

Verified most functions with BD & SD disks... seems, well, perfect.

Default power macro works fine in sequence for starting activity and for switching between activities.

So far 10 out of 10

Thanks Ayman - great product. Great customer service.

-steve
My HT Setup - updated 12/25/2012
"...and all the science, I don't understand. It's just my job, five days a week."
post #104 of 461 Old 09-08-2008, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thank you Steve for your purchase. I am happy that you are pleased with the product. To everyone who ordered already, thanks and they have all shipped out last Friday, Saturday, or Monday.

Also, if you want to see/use the ps3toothfairy, I will be showing them at the Maker Faire in Austin,TX for both days in October. Perhaps other AVS members will be there.
post #105 of 461 Old 09-18-2008, 09:01 AM

I would like to purchase one of these. When will more be available?
post #106 of 461 Old 09-18-2008, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hello Jamy,

They are currently being manufactured, and I expect them in a couple of weeks, maybe sooner.

Ayman
post #107 of 461 Old 09-19-2008, 12:09 PM

Do you have a waiting list or pre-order link I would like one as well

+Peace be with you+
post #108 of 461 Old 09-19-2008, 02:52 PM

Is the performance identicle between the bare version with ps3 remote vs the normal elite?

I'm gonna by my ps3 at either costco or amazon and the costco version would come with the ps3 remote..
post #109 of 461 Old 09-19-2008, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

o you have a waiting list or pre-order link I would like one as well

I kind of have a waiting list, you can sign up on the mailing list on the site. When they are avail. I email the list as soon as the store is activated.

Quote:

Is the performance identicle between the bare version with ps3 remote vs the normal elite?

Yes, it is identical -- I don't even distinguish between them until the final assembly is complete. The Elite is just a Bare Elite with the remote added in for you.
post #110 of 461 Old 09-25-2008, 06:52 PM

I have an MX850 remote. I am having trouble getting the remote paired with the toothfairy. I downloaded the PS2 remote configuration file from here
http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin...game-ps2-b.zip

However it doesn't have an enter button programmed in. I was able to get the angle and start key (after which the PS3 toothfairy blinks when I press any other keys) but with no enter key I don't see how I can pair it.

Is there a good MX 850 file I can use with an enter key or one for the toothfairy that has the PS button (off) programmed in? I know people have gotten this to work with the 850 so any help is appreciated.

Thanks.
post #111 of 461 Old 09-25-2008, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hi baronzemo78,

I looked at that configuration and it appears to have an Enter key. I don't have the URC software, but looking at the binary data, I see an ENTER. On Harmony there is an OK key. Perhaps on this remote there is an OK as well? If not, can you use a pronto code? Lastly, perhaps another user with an MX remote knows the trick.

It is hard to decipher the data, but I think I see at least Sub, Prog, and Title on page 1. If that is correct, then it looks like Enter is a hard key.

Thanks
Ayman
post #112 of 461 Old 09-25-2008, 07:38 PM

I downloaded this one

http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin...-tonks_mxf.zip

I also have an mx-850 and hope to get a toothfairy soon so i dont know if the above file will work.
post #113 of 461 Old 09-25-2008, 07:49 PM

oh and i also found this one. maybe it will help
http://www.ir2bt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20
post #114 of 461 Old 09-27-2008, 01:46 PM

I found the enter button. (silly me it was hidden on the bottom right corner of the remote) but I still can't get the toothfairy paired with the PS3. It is definitely receiving signals from the remote (LED blinks whenever I press a button) but I can't get the PS3 to respond to it. Still using the default config files for the PS2 DVD remote.

Thanks.
post #115 of 461 Old 09-27-2008, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

There are 2 reasons I can think of ...

a) If you bought the bare kit, make ABSOLUTELY sure that the flat cable is fully mated into the connector on the ps3 remote module.

b) Try the alternate pairing method, follow the instructions in the manual to get to the PS3 screen. then press/release the following keys: Angle,Start,Angle,Enter That activates a backup sequence that is built into the ps3 firmware. After you release Enter, the ps3toothfairy will continue to transmit the proper pairing keys.

Please post back your results.
Thanks
Ayman
post #116 of 461 Old 09-28-2008, 09:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
When is the next batch looking to be available?
post #117 of 461 Old 09-29-2008, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I am expecting them sometime in the first week of October. Then I check them out to make sure everything is good and put them up for sale.

Rolow, I didn't look at that profile, but everyone should be aware that the ps3toothfairy uses all the PS2 codes and the Sony DVD power off code to run through the shutdown macro. A user has emailed me a profile for the MX-850 that I will post in the next day or two.

BTW, if anyone is going to be at the Maker Faire in Austin, I will have a table there with some devices. If you want a bare kit but are afraid or don't have the tools to do it yourself, I'll be there to help you. Or you can just come and play with the ps3toothfairy and see some of the other things I've created.
post #118 of 461 Old 09-30-2008, 07:53 PM

I recently purchased the Bare Elite kit and to make a long story short managed to fry it, 100% my fault, with the wrong type of power supply.

I contacted PS3Toothfairy and the owner (Ayman) went out of his way to help me return it for repair and get me a working unit.

Really great service and support.
post #119 of 461 Old 09-30-2008, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

jorton,

You're welcome! Hopefully you will get it in the next few days.

For others, the assembly of the unit went fine. But an incompatible power supply was used that damaged the device. The ps3toothfairy devices all have a label (that is allegedly scuff and water resistant), with the parameters including the allowed voltage and polarity. They take between 3.3 and 12VDC to operate, center positive. The connector is a 2.1mm center, 5.5mm barrel connector.

Ayman
post #120 of 461 Old 10-01-2008, 08:39 AM

I still haven't been able to get mine paired, with the PS3 but appreciate all the help and quick responses on this forum so far. I'm going to wait until aymanme posts the MX850 profile and then give it another try.

Thanks.
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page