PS3ToothFairy IR Retrofit/Assembly for PS3 Bluetooth Remotes - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 461 Old 11-20-2008, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtis104 View Post

I am in the same boat. I received my ToothFairy 2 weeks ago and have been unable to pair with my Harmony 890. I tried several times the first day I received it and after an hour I gave up. I tried both ways using IR and the IR blaster.

Hello Curtis, you can always contact me from the site if you need help. I would be more than happy to try and walk through it either via IM or phone. For "problem reduction" purposes, I usually get down to the start: Restore Defaults, Then Angle/Start/HOLD OK/Enter. If that doesn't work, you can try the backup sequence, Angle/Start/Angle/Enter (press and release each one). The LED will stay on as the ps3toothfairy continues to try and pair. Another user indicated that they put the device very close to the PS3 and finally got it to pair. In theory that is not needed, but it might be worth a try.

I fully support it and will do what I can to rectify all issues that people have with the device. Even when they are sold out, I do keep spares available in case some are lost, damaged, broken, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 461 Old 11-21-2008, 01:16 AM

Liked: 10
Hi aymanme,

I received my PS3TF and it worked a treat with my Logitech 520, Thanks

PS3TF feature enquiry:
I still have a couple of random items I would really like to turn on/off with IR.
(i.e. HTPC resume from standby & PS3/TV SPDIF switch).
I was thinking of designing a custom IR box using a Atmel micro with isolated SSR outputs. Now I have the PS3TF I thought there maybe an easier option.

I just wondering if you may have included some test commands that toggle a couple of unallocated test digital outputs on the PS3TF micro.
Obviously this is in the 'wishful thinking' category, and would void warranty.
Any feedback would be appreciated.
post #183 of 461 Old 11-21-2008, 06:59 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hello Chris, Glad you are happy. So I am a fan of the Atmel Micros (that is what powers part of the ps3toothfairy). There are spare signals on the controller brought out to pads with pullups, but I don't think there is any firmware to control them. I'll have to check and see. They were really intended to provide extra conditioning to IR distribution signals, but turns out the conditioning that I designed/modeled was sufficient. But what you want to do is pretty easy. Just use one of the micros with the internal clock, the IR receiver with an internal pull-up (so just 3 wires) and whatever you need to switch the HTPC.
post #184 of 461 Old 11-21-2008, 11:53 AM

Thank for the response, I'll do that.
post #185 of 461 Old 11-23-2008, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aymanme View Post

Hi Folks, I was working with Axel on this and am hoping a harmony expert knows the trick. First, of course it is possible that the ps3tf got damaged in transit. But the real question is this: Why when holding a key on the 1000 does it transmit for a while and then pause and startup again? It does not do this on my 550 and I haven't heard of this from any other people. Any thoughts, or is this better posted in the Harmony threads?

Best
Ayman

I got it working!!!
I don't know what was the problem, but exchanging the powersupply for an other one seemed to fix the problem! Power-specs were not so different.
The Harmony 1000 works like a charm with the PS3TF.

Thank you Ayman for all the support and patience!
post #186 of 461 Old 11-24-2008, 01:11 PM

I am currently using the Nyko USB dongle with a MX850 and hate the slow repsonse time with button presses (as well as not being able to power on the PS3). I am considering switching to the PS3TF and am wondering if the button response speed is fast like with the game controllers?
post #187 of 461 Old 11-24-2008, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanCPA View Post

I am currently using the Nyko USB dongle with a MX850 and hate the slow repsonse time with button presses (as well as not being able to power on the PS3). I am considering switching to the PS3TF and am wondering if the button response speed is fast like with the game controllers?

I find the response with my Harmony One remote controlling the PS3TF to be indistinguishable from the game controller.

-steve

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"...and all the science, I don't understand. It's just my job, five days a week."
post #188 of 461 Old 11-24-2008, 03:01 PM
Scott Horton, techht.com

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanCPA View Post

I'm using it with a MX980, I also find it's response identical to the game controller. No delays.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #189 of 461 Old 11-25-2008, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevec325 View Post

I find the response with my Harmony One remote controlling the PS3TF to be indistinguishable from the game controller.

Sorry for cutting in from the side, but what are your settings for the delay and stuff?
Not sure if it's because I'm using the PS3 profile (to get the nice O, X, triangle, and square icons) and not the PS3TF profile, but I'm having trouble finding the proper setting for the Harmony One.
Been meaning to mail aymanme about this but since the topic came up might as well ask here. :P

Thanks in advance!
post #190 of 461 Old 11-26-2008, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by torilia View Post

Sorry for cutting in from the side, but what are your settings for the delay and stuff?
Not sure if it's because I'm using the PS3 profile (to get the nice O, X, triangle, and square icons) and not the PS3TF profile, but I'm having trouble finding the proper setting for the Harmony One.
Been meaning to mail aymanme about this but since the topic came up might as well ask here. :P

Thanks in advance!

I use the PS3TF-like profile - not the PS3 profile. Delays are default. I do not get the iconic circle,square & triangle in that profile.

-steve

"...and all the science, I don't understand. It's just my job, five days a week."
post #191 of 461 Old 11-26-2008, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

For that sort of super harmony question, probably better to ask here. I don't profess to be a Harmony expert, but most users say they just leave the defaults. On the Harmony software, mine is setup for 1500ms Power On, 200ms Inter-key, and 500ms Inter-device (that one probably does not matter).

Having said that, these are much larger than the time that the firmware takes to respond. I can't remember off the top of my head, but the total time needed by the ps3toothfairy, (that is time from start of IR signal to end of IR signal + time to decode and resend via bluetooth) is less than 50ms. Most of that time is actually spent waiting for the next bit.
post #192 of 461 Old 11-27-2008, 08:28 PM

Thanks for the reply guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevec325 View Post

I use the PS3TF-like profile - not the PS3 profile. Delays are default. I do not get the iconic circle,square & triangle in that profile.

Just to make sure do you mean the actual profile for the PS3TF?

Quote:

For that sort of super harmony question, probably better to ask here. I don't profess to be a Harmony expert, but most users say they just leave the defaults. On the Harmony software, mine is setup for 1500ms Power On, 200ms Inter-key, and 500ms Inter-device (that one probably does not matter).

Having said that, these are much larger than the time that the firmware takes to respond. I can't remember off the top of my head, but the total time needed by the ps3toothfairy, (that is time from start of IR signal to end of IR signal + time to decode and resend via bluetooth) is less than 50ms. Most of that time is actually spent waiting for the next bit.

Thanks for the tip. I'll try it out later tonight when I get home and report. I seem to recall when I tried out the default PS3TF profile it worked pretty well, but not as fast as the original game controller. Also any tweaks shortening the inter-key delay would result in one button press to move too much. I'll double check and report back.

Thanks again!
post #193 of 461 Old 11-28-2008, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the reply guys.

Just to make sure do you mean the actual profile for the PS3TF?

Yep.

-steve

post #194 of 461 Old 11-30-2008, 06:38 PM

Quote:

I tried out the default PS3TF profile over the weekend and on the default settings of 200ms inter-key it felt a bit sluggish. Normal presses at slowish speeds work perfectly. But if I try to quickly tap up or down through a long list of songs or whatever the PS3 would lag behind. For example, if I tap down 10 times very quickly, the PS3 would still be scrolling through the list for a couple seconds after I stop pressing Down.
I tried putting the inter-key down to 100ms and it seemed to be the same way. Tweaking the repeat setting doesn't seem to help much as well.

Does anyone else notice this? The day to day operation there's no problem at all. Perhaps I'm just anal, but using the PS3 controller no matter how fast I press the buttons, the scroll is instantaneous.

For the record, I love the PS3TF :P
post #195 of 461 Old 11-30-2008, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I'd have to take a look and see. The harmony is not a very "fast" remote -- or at least mine isn't. When the devices are built/assembled, they are run through an automatic tester that tries out every key and the shutdown macro via IR/wired input and then listens for the bluetooth commands on the backend. The tester sends a little more than 5 commands / second and the system is always able to keep up and receive the proper key.
post #196 of 461 Old 12-04-2008, 05:07 PM

Just ordered mine. Cant wait to receive unit and give up extra remote. Will comment when i pair it with my mx-900
post #197 of 461 Old 12-09-2008, 05:10 PM

From memory, last time I configured my Harmony remote there's an option for sending an IR code repeatedly and it's set at 3 times by default. I've found this can sometimes cause things like menus to continue to scroll even after you've let go of the button on the remote. Assuming the sensitivity on the toothfairy is good I'd try changing that to 1. Fairly sure it's a device specific setting.

Any word on when you'll be getting some more devices in? Pretty keen on ordering one.
post #198 of 461 Old 12-10-2008, 08:52 PM

I'm keen on getting one in Australia before Xmas - either the bare or the full elite, would prefer the bare though as I've bought a remote. Can you let me know if there will be any of these ready before Christmas - I need to have it by then so I can set it up for interstate parents.
post #199 of 461 Old 12-10-2008, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hello KevinBaker,
Welcome to the forums. I am trying to have them in quantity again soon. I may have a couple prior to that. We already have the boards in. My help is busy with semester finals right now.
- ayman
post #200 of 461 Old 12-12-2008, 09:46 AM

I received my ps3tf elite in the mail yesterday and have been unable to pair it with my PS3 (upgraded to firmware 2.53 one day prior to getting the ps3tf). I have a Harmony 550 and I have tried the PS3 and ps3toothfairy profiles with little success. I tried both pairing methods (Angle/Start/OK and (Angle/Start/Angle/OK) from very close to the PS3 and used both a USB power adapter and a 12V that I had lying around. Also reset ps3tf to factory defaults a few times. The ps3tf appears to respond correctly in every case--the LED behaves as documented.

The weird part is that it *did* pair once but the codes seem to be messed up--only up/down/triangle work (as far as I can tell) and the "right" arrow on the harmony actually maps to left, and "left" arrow on the remote does nothing. All of my subsequent attempts to re-pair have failed.

Any ideas for where to go next? I am comfortable opening up the box to check hardware connections... or is there a known issue with paring on the 2.53 firmware?

Thanks in advance everyone, and props to Ayman for outstanding customer service!
post #201 of 461 Old 12-13-2008, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hi Folks,

I responded to nurlabys in email. This is a good tip for people who do their own assembly. We have only seen this a few times. IN those cases, it has been that the cable between the boards was not fully seated in the connectors usually because it got shaken loose or wasn't inserted correctly. Hopefully that will rectify this problem. I should have said that there aren't any sort of issues with that version of the firmware.

And for those asking, we are expecting them in between Christmas and New Years in quantity.

Ayman
post #202 of 461 Old 12-13-2008, 08:14 PM

I just received my PS3TF today and I did not have a problem setting it up with my MX-900. First I uploaded the PS2 IR commands into my MX-900 then plugged in the PS3TF elite module and followed the instructions on registering device on the PS3. It was that simple.
post #203 of 461 Old 12-15-2008, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Ayman, do you know if there any plans to have the PS3 icons (circle, square, triangle) included in the Harmony One database for the TF?

-steve

post #204 of 461 Old 12-15-2008, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

hi steve,

I'll happily request them from logitech if that is what is needed .... the way this works (or worked) is that I "blinked" the codes to my harmony from my device tester and then logitech did the rest of the work. They created the manufacturer, "cleaned" the codes, etc. I can ask if they can put the icons there -- does anybody know if that is what is needed?

Ayman
post #205 of 461 Old 12-15-2008, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

I think what needs to happen is that Harmony would need to associate the command(s) you provided with the ?built in? icons that they already use for other remotes - (do they emulate the Sony/PS3?). Some DVR/STB remotes do get those icons (circle, square, triangle) for functions on their remotes.

I'd guess that you, as a manufacturer, might have some influence with them to effect an update It would be a nice touch for both products!

-steve

post #206 of 461 Old 12-16-2008, 08:58 AM

I posted some questions in the main IR-to-BT converter thread. However, I've received no response, and given the excellent responses from aymanme throughout this thread, I thought I'd give it a shot and post this here (I altered some of the post to improve the questions and direct them solely at the PS3 Toothfairy):

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalrith View Post

I'm wanting to install linux on my PS3 to use it as a MythTV frontend. I also want to get one of the IR-to-BT converters. My questions involve using the remote for both the PS3 game OS and the PS3 linux OS.

With a normal bluetooth remote or controller, the device has to be re-synched with the game OS every time it is synched with linux and vice versa. The PS3 Toothfairy seems to be able to control up to 4 different devices. Would I be able to set up one of these devices as the PS3 game OS and one as the PS3 linux OS and not have to re-synch them every time? If it is possible, I'd just have to set up the PS3 game OS and PS3 linux OS as two different devices.

With the PS3 controllers, "The current solution is to boot back in to the game os and shut down the system. Then use the power switch in the back of the console to power it down completely once you power up again you should be able to sync again" (Source). That supposedly doesn't work with the remote, so I was wondering if anyone had more success at this with the converters.

The other question involves turning on the PS3. If I just hit the power button, it will boot to linux. If I hold the power button for ~5 seconds until it beeps a second time, then it will boot into the game OS. Can the PS3 Toothfairy be programmed to hold the power the 5 seconds required to boot to the game OS? Another way to boot into the game OS is to boot into linux and type boot-game-os at the kboot line. Is there a way to program the PS3 Toothfairy to type turn on the system normally, pause for a few seconds, and then type boot-game-os? Booting to the game OS this way supposedly doesn't have the sync problem, so that should actually solve all the possible problems I'm worried about.

If I have to hold the power button down for 5 seconds in order to get into the PS3 game OS, that's not a huge deal. The main problem is finding out if there's a way around the sync problem. I'll be probably be using the PS3 65% for MythTV and 35% for BD/DVD playback through the game OS, so I definitely want the IR-to-BT converter to work with both.

Thanks!

post #207 of 461 Old 12-16-2008, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I posted some questions in the main IR-to-BT converter thread. However, I've received no response, and given the excellent responses from aymanme throughout this thread, I thought I'd give it a shot and post this here (I altered some of the post to improve the questions and direct them solely at the PS3 Toothfairy):

Thanks for the compliments!

Not sure how much you know about bluetooth -- so a little background. In ever OS that I have worked on or looked at, the BT stack is implemented mostly in software. There are some layers in hardware, but for the purposes of this discussion, the pieces that are used in pairing are in software. So linux (using bluez or whatever BT stack), will use its own software to pair with the PS3 remote while the PS3 OS (whatever that may be) will use its stack to pair. Clearly, the PS3 does not share its data with Linux. So this is probably why you can't have the remote paired to both. But I would guess that you could pair one remote to each (I know that is pricey, but I think it would be possible).

As an aside and if some are wondering, all of the ps3toothfairy development and testing is done in Linux. The automatic tester that is used is part linux and part custom hardware.

Kalrith, I know that is not the answer you wanted, but I am almost certain that is the case.

Best Regards,
Ayman
post #208 of 461 Old 12-17-2008, 08:57 AM

Simply astonishing. This little device is awesome and very well priced too! I bought the BARE ELITE and the instructions for assembling it were simple, straight forward and super easy. I've integrated this little baby into my Home Theater and it works flawlessly. I have an RTI RF controller and an RTI T2C and used a *.cml file I found for the IRT2B which worked for all the commands. If you have RTI equipment and want to get some advice or tips for integrating this little pupply into your system shoot me an email at tulsajones@gmail.com and I'd be glad to share with you my experience!

Thanks again, aymanme....PERFECTO!
post #209 of 461 Old 12-17-2008, 09:08 AM

Ayman,

Knowledge is power even if that knowledge isn't exactly what you hoped for. Thanks for enlightening me on some things. I don't know much about BT, so your explanation helped. I am curious if you have responses to my other questions:

Can the PS3 Toothfairy be programmed to hold the power the 5 seconds required to boot to the game OS?

Is there a way to program the PS3 Toothfairy to type turn on the system normally, pause for a few seconds, and then type boot-game-os?

Thanks!
post #210 of 461 Old 12-17-2008, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Can the PS3 Toothfairy be programmed to hold the power the 5 seconds required to boot to the game OS?

Is there a way to program the PS3 Toothfairy to type turn on the system normally, pause for a few seconds, and then type boot-game-os?

Sorry, I completely missed those ....

You can have it hold the PS button one of 2 ways. a) You can program your remote such that it holds it down. b) You can press/release angle and then press/release PS and the ps3toothfairy will hold the button for 5 seconds

As for typing, there is no way to do that b/c the ps3toothfairy only implements what Sony provided in the bluetooth remote, which does not include the keyboard.

I did order that little (really little) ps3 keyboard though. I'll post back my thoughts after I try it out.
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page