Video Game Rental - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 04-19-2008, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello everyone,

I was thinking about trying a video game rental service online and was wondering if anyone could recomend a good one. The service would be used mostly for PS3 and maybe PS2.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 04-19-2008, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 59
www.gamefly.com

With so many titles being well under 10 hours with no online its just not worth spending $65 after tac on them. With gamefly you can get through several games for a months fee.

Frank J. Cone

XBox Live / Steam: FCONE

Please do not form any opinion of the content of this post, it is still in BETA.

post #3 of 20 Old 04-19-2008, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 173
http://www.getyourgamez.com

Based out of Arizona, owned by a couple of friends of mine. If you sign up tell them Big Brad sent you.

-Brad

PSN ID/XBOX Live! Gamertag: BiffCo
My SD/HD movie collection
post #4 of 20 Old 04-19-2008, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brad View Post

Based out of Arizona, owned by a couple of friends of mine. If you sign up tell them Big Brad sent you.

-Brad

Are the two guys in that pic SHARING a controller?
post #5 of 20 Old 04-19-2008, 12:55 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
I use GameFly, so far I'm happy with their service (only two months in). Check their map to see how close to a distribution center you are as this will effect how fast your games arrive. Once you find a game you really want just use their "keep it" option and you pay a reduced price. In addition you earn GameFly credits to buy these pre-rented (used) games so that brings the price down even more. Seemed like a good deal to me... just wondering why Netflix hasn't entered this market yet, maybe because games are $60 vs Blu-Rays at $30?

My equipment list is here. Playstation Network ID = jmii ...that's JM roman numeral 2
post #6 of 20 Old 04-19-2008, 01:19 PM

I'm not sure what your gaming preferences are, but I've found that as a very casual gamer, buying used games on Ebay works for me. I try to buy games for under $30 including shipping, and if I can sell it back for $20 or so, I've had a long term rental for $10.

Of course, I probably don't play more than 7 hours a week, on average.
post #7 of 20 Old 04-19-2008, 01:27 PM

Liked: 832
Why go rental, when you can simply trade?

Try out Goozex.

If you're dealing with new games, all you have to do is buy 1 new game, then trade it when you're finished for another new released game.

Only cost to you is postage to trade in games [around $2.50 with Signature confirmation], and a $1 transaction fee on buys only. The downside is sometimes you'd have to wait a little longer then a game rental service, but then again you're not paying $20 a month and you're trading new games 1:1 and you can keep the ones you want, plus have multiple trades out at a time.

Check it out, I'm finding it pretty sweet. Just traded FNR3 and used my points to pick up shadow of colossus and a copy of the hard to find\\expensive TM2. They pretty much would have cost me what I paid for FNR3 in the first place, so i got 2 games for the price of my original.
post #8 of 20 Old 04-19-2008, 02:34 PM
Gai
AVS Special Member

Gamefly works pretty well...the keep if you like it is great after you get the 10% discount and $5 every 3 months perk.

Thanksgiving can be a sham, but it's a sham with yams. It's a yam sham.
post #9 of 20 Old 04-19-2008, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Keep in mind if you are looking to play all the new games, GameFly is not a good option. The newest games, even the somewhat unpopular ones, are usually low availability (in GF-land, low availability = not gonna get it) for months. You can often get a new game if you time your mailing of a game you have so that it arrives the same time the game comes out, but do that too often and GF will "throttle" you to hell and back. If you sign up, don't say I am wrong because the first game you asked for was GTA4 and they mailed it to you, that's obviously what they do for new customers.

GF is great if you just wanna play whatever or catch up, though.
post #10 of 20 Old 04-19-2008, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
I've used Gamefly off and on for a couple of years now.

Whenever I quit, it's because I get tired of never getting the games I want. Afterwards I always end up finding out about some older game I missed playing that I want to check out. So I end up restarting my membership. On and on it goes.

I've been going steady with Gamefly now for about six months straight. I've decided that the best option is to balance new games with older games (1 or more years after their release). That way I always have a sure thing, but I prioritize the newer games.

It's been a great way to play some older games that I might otherwise have missed (Psychonauts, killSwitch, God Hand, Ninja Gaiden Sigma, Gears of War, Ico, etc.). Most of these I've ended up buying from them (or *gasp* Gamestop) for very, very little money ($5-10).

It doesn't cost much money per month, their for-sale prices are cheap, you earn coupons for money off of purchases, and most games that I get through them I only play for a day or two, then decide I don't really like it, and I send it back for something else. That way, I've gotten the chance to try nearly every major and minor release that's come out in the past 2-3 years.

Most suck, so they go right back in the mailbox. Some are worth holding onto long enough to play through. A few are worth purchasing.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #11 of 20 Old 04-19-2008, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

If you are in the middle of the country, I do not recommend GameFly if you are going to only be renting one game at a time. It takes 3-4 days for them to receive a game, another day to send it out, and then 3-4 days for it to get to you. If you only played the game for a day, you're sitting at 4 games a month for around $20- since you are likely going to be playing it for at least a week, make that about $10 per game rental. Not worth it, IMO.

PSN: Tezasaurus
post #12 of 20 Old 04-19-2008, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member

gamefly here too. Shipping is two days and the $42 keep it price for new releases is pretty good too.
post #13 of 20 Old 04-20-2008, 01:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 148
One guy mentioned using Ebay as a rental service, and I agree with that, but I think Craigslist is even better. With Craigslist, you don't pay shipping, and the seller doesn't have to pay all the Ebay fee's, so usually they can drop their price an extra $5 off the normal Ebay price.

The key to the strategy, is being able to wait about 60 to 90 days after a game has released. I know this is hard, but that's how you can save big $$$. I typically buy the big game of 60 or 90 days prior for $30 cash. Considering most people pay $65 after tax for a new release, you're talking about getting the game for less than half. Then you can play the game for like 5 or 6 months, and sell it for $20, and you basically rented it for five or six months for only 10 snaps. Consider the fact that Blockbuster video charges $7.99 for a Xbox 360 or PS3 rental, and that's only for a 5 day period. Sometimes, I'll sell it again for $30, and basically I rented it for free.

People that run out and constantly buy brand new games for $59.99 plus tax, blow my mind. I don't know where people get money like that. Sure, I'll do it once in awhile, but man, that's alot of money to drop. I'm also amazed at the people that pay the ridiculously inflated used game prices at GameStop and places like that. I'm tellin ya... Ebay and Craigslist are the way to go. Especially Craigslist, if possible.
post #14 of 20 Old 04-20-2008, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the advice. I don't play games all that much due to the kids, school, and work, but I like gettting in a few hours on the weekends.
post #15 of 20 Old 04-20-2008, 03:50 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by number1laing View Post

Keep in mind if you are looking to play all the new games, GameFly is not a good option. The newest games, even the somewhat unpopular ones, are usually low availability (in GF-land, low availability = not gonna get it) for months. You can often get a new game if you time your mailing of a game you have so that it arrives the same time the game comes out, but do that too often and GF will "throttle" you to hell and back. If you sign up, don't say I am wrong because the first game you asked for was GTA4 and they mailed it to you, that's obviously what they do for new customers.

GF is great if you just wanna play whatever or catch up, though.

What do you mean by "throttle" ? Usally I send my game in to get the newest release and havent had any problems. I been using Gamefly for about 7 months

I came...I saw...I bought an HDTV
PSN ID: dlawso235

post #16 of 20 Old 04-20-2008, 07:25 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

The key to the strategy, is being able to wait about 60 to 90 days after a game has released. I know this is hard, but that's how you can save big $$$.

The other good thing with this strategy is there will be plenty of online forums and FAQs about the game, so if you get stuck help is just a Google search away. In addition if there is some horrible bug an update will already be available. Thus even when renting I avoid recently released games, this way the game is in stock and I can avoid become a "beta" tester of some sloppy release.

My equipment list is here. Playstation Network ID = jmii ...that's JM roman numeral 2
post #17 of 20 Old 04-21-2008, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by risk235 View Post

What do you mean by "throttle" ? Usally I send my game in to get the newest release and havent had any problems. I been using Gamefly for about 7 months

Throttling is the issue that Netflix settled a class-action suit for (all we got as compensation was a short-term increase in the number of movies we could rent).

It's a technique that prevents customers from renting too many games/movies in a short period of time. If you're turning around your rentals too fast, these companies will slow down (or "throttle") on their end to prevent you from getting too many rentals. It helps keep things cost-effective and helps make sure that other people get the games/movies they want.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #18 of 20 Old 04-21-2008, 10:25 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brad View Post

-Brad

Where are they in AZ? If it's in Phoenix, then theoretically I should get the games next day.

I just signed up with Gamefly and so far I'm not impressed.. It seems like it's taking forever for me to get games.. I have eight released games in my queue, yet I have not have any games "out" since Thursday. I have the 2 out at a time option. Gamefly seems a little bit better than Gameznflix, so far, at least.
post #19 of 20 Old 04-21-2008, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nihilan View Post

I'm not sure what your gaming preferences are, but I've found that as a very casual gamer, buying used games on Ebay works for me. I try to buy games for under $30 including shipping, and if I can sell it back for $20 or so, I've had a long term rental for $10.

Of course, I probably don't play more than 7 hours a week, on average.

I agree with Nihilan, I bought Ninja Gaiden Sigma for $28.00 a month ago and just sold it last week for $30.00. I actually got paid $2.00 to play it.

Panasonic TC-50pG10
Sony 5.1
250GB Playstation 3
Wii
Currently Playing: RE5
PSN ID : mR.rObOto
post #20 of 20 Old 04-21-2008, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinistar83 View Post

Gamefly seems a little bit better than Gameznflix, so far, at least.

Man.... Gameznflix..... Those were the good ole days. I was a Gameznflix member during Xbox 360's first year on the market. November 2005 to November 2006. When I signed up for Gameznflix, I signed up for a 1 year contract, and paid $250 in advance. At the time, when you pay $250 in advance, you are paying for a 1 year plan, with 6 games or movies out at a time. If you do the math, $250 divided by 12 months, divided by 6 games at a time, you're basically paying $3.50 to rent a game for a full month. Considering Blockbuster charges $7.99 to rent a game for 5 days, you can see the value there.

I was renting games, and keeping them for 4 or 5 months, just to completely finish the game, and get everything I could out of the game. I would rent sports games from them, and keep the sports game for the entire season. Sure, it would be like 5 months, and at $3.50 per month that's a total of $17.50, but to have a brand spanking new, $59.99 game for it's first 5 months on the market for $17.50, it was worth it. Think about it... Most people buy a game for $65, play it heavily for a few months, and then hardly play it again after that.

So it really worked out well. The big problem with gameznflix, is that everybody and their Mom found out about it. They got tons and tons of new people signed up, and then I could never get anymore new releases. I had to settle for the older games that most people weren't interested in, otherwise I would have 3 empty slots in my queue that would never be filled. The first 7 or 9 months of my 1 year plan, it was amazing. I was getting all the new releases right away. But the last 5 or 3 months were horrible. So I ddn't renew.

Of course, you can also rent movies with gameznflix. I wonder if they rent Blu Ray and HD-DVD, and if you can get those relatively quickly. If they still did the 6 movies out at a time deal for $250, and you can mix and match Blu Ray and HD-DVD and games, it might not be that bad a deal.
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page