Grand Theft Auto IV Gameplay Discussion Thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 1111 Old 04-30-2008, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
the helicopters in this game are hard to control! takes practice i guess.... What i do like though is that if your blades get destroyed your chopper doesnt blow up, the heli cabin just falls to the ground.

The heli's with the guns are really hard to aim with when shooting, but what seems to help is putting the helicopter in 1st person view and you seem to get better aim, but its harder to control...

This game is great, but people seemed to have gone into it with to high of expectations. This is next gen for sure, but what people are expecting is insane. Realize it wont be perfect! Its a completely open enviroment so there is pros and cons. But there is nothing else out there that comes close to what GTA IV gives you IMO. The physics to the game are incredible, but it seems to come at the cost of PQ....not a huge deal its GTA, its never been known to have incredible PQ, but it is known to have top notch story line and adventure. Just Enjoy it everyone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1111 Old 04-30-2008, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainman31 View Post

thanks for the quick replies

no prob man, just whenever your given instructions to do something and you need to go somewhere , directions will be available on your GPS. Also make good use of the waypoint option in the map, it can be your best friend when cruising the large map
post #183 of 1111 Old 04-30-2008, 08:31 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigred7078 View Post

dude it tells you where to go on the map...

just follow it and grab thr brick then throw, then your in business

I grabbed a brick and threw it at the door a it bounced off
post #184 of 1111 Old 04-30-2008, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainman31 View Post

I grabbed a brick and threw it at the door a it bounced off

toss it at the window

Drew
post #185 of 1111 Old 04-30-2008, 08:32 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Note sure if everyone is aware but I went right in options and changed to classic conotrols. To me it functions (camera, driving, combat etc) exactly like all the other GTA games for those complaining have you played GTA before? Granted car physics are different with the new engine and the camera seems closer but other than that you can pretty much hit the ground running.

I do agree hand to hand seems a bit slow to me.
post #186 of 1111 Old 04-30-2008, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JE3146 View Post

DS3 support?

Only time I felt rumble was when you get to go upstairs with that Michelle chic and you doing the nasty and when I was riding on the train. Haven't noticed it any other times.

PSN: Mobius570
XBL: Mobius570
Wii: Some silly number I can't locate
TWW
My Gaming Rig
post #187 of 1111 Old 04-30-2008, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

I'm playing the 360 version, and I noticed this immediately upon leaving Roman's apartment for the first time and stepping outside. I'm amazed that other people aren't talking about how blurry it is. I still love the game, but I'm just amazed that there isn't more of an uproar about the fuzziness and blurriness of the game. I was wondering if it was only a problem on the 360, but if you have the PS3 version, then it's probably an issue on both. I still want to check out the PS3 version to make sure.

Same thing here, the graphics outside on my 100' screen SUCK!!!! Totally blurry, is there something wrong with my settings?
post #188 of 1111 Old 04-30-2008, 08:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Imp View Post

I found this out by accident. Even though he stops calling you, if you go to Roman's garage, there will be arrows to enter which will trigger the next mission.

Damn, i was stuck with this too, guess they are making this a puzzle game as well. Mind you I got stuck a couple times in VC too.
post #189 of 1111 Old 04-30-2008, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey1 View Post

Same thing here, the graphics outside on my 100' screen SUCK!!!! Totally blurry, is there something wrong with my settings?

I think the low res native resolution starts to look worse as the screen size gets bigger.

SXRD/Oppo/Yamaha/Klipsch
PS3/PSN: pj_rage
360/Live: pjrage82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daekwan
Dude please, your list of toys is so long its like Santa is your dad lol.
post #190 of 1111 Old 04-30-2008, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Damn, i was stuck with this too, guess they are making this a puzzle game as well. Mind you I got stuck a couple times in VC too.

Heh--this is exactly how it was in every other GTA game. You went to the person on the map, and they gave you a mission. You didn't have no stinkin' cell phone!

PSN/XBL: bassmonkeee
Wii number: Who cares?
post #191 of 1111 Old 04-30-2008, 09:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassmonkeee View Post

Heh--this is exactly how it was in every other GTA game. You went to the person on the map, and they gave you a mission. You didn't have no stinkin' cell phone!

LOL, no one ever said i was the sharpest knife in the drawer.
post #192 of 1111 Old 04-30-2008, 09:05 AM

Quote:

same, the game looks horrible, the reviews that say that graphics are amazing are totally ridiculous: burnout paradise looks amazing, great draw distance, sharp, solid 60fps everywhere, gta4 is a jaggy mess, 30fps maybe, choppy, anything far away looks like a blocky blurry ps2 game.

At this point I am seriously considering selling it, you bet I won't ever buy another game on hype ever again. Yeah, it might be a fun gta game, but if I want a fun crappy looking gta game I can always run gta1-2-3 on my ps2, which don't look that much worse after all.
post #193 of 1111 Old 04-30-2008, 09:06 AM

Liked: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ_Rage View Post

I think the low res native resolution starts to look worse as the screen size gets bigger.

It looks perfect on my 70" XBR2
post #194 of 1111 Old 04-30-2008, 09:07 AM

By the way, the weather effects in the game are sweet . At one point, it started raining and the a big flash of lightening lit up the screen...made me jump .
post #195 of 1111 Old 04-30-2008, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

I think they're referring to the stuff past about a 1/4 mile.

I'm not talking about in the distance, as that is obviously a depth of field effect. When the game starts and Nikko walks out into the street for the first time, everything feels very blurry.

After a few hours of gameplay I've either become accustomed to it and no longer notice or it truly went away. Either way, it's immaterial to me now.

Avarice
post #196 of 1111 Old 04-30-2008, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdreamsmaycome View Post

same, the game looks horrible, the reviews that say that graphics are amazing are totally ridiculous: burnout paradise looks amazing, great draw distance, sharp, solid 60fps everywhere, gta4 is a jaggy mess, 30fps maybe, choppy, anything far away looks like a blocky blurry ps2 game.

At this point I am seriously considering selling it, you bet I won't ever buy another game on hype ever again. Yeah, it might be a fun gta game, but if I want a fun crappy looking gta game I can always run gta1-2-3 on my ps2, which don't look that much worse after all.

I think those games look better in your memory than in reality. Just say "No" to flipper hands...

I dunno--I guess we're playing different games. I am having a blast with this game, and I think it looks about like I expected it to. I still think the stylized artistic look was intentional, and not a result of hardware. It's easier to beat an old woman with a baseball bat without uninformed public outcry when she isn't photo-realistic, after all.....

PSN/XBL: bassmonkeee
Wii number: Who cares?
post #197 of 1111 Old 04-30-2008, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by kekborg View Post

By the way, the weather effects in the game are sweet . At one point, it started raining and the a big flash of lightening lit up the screen...made me jump .

Yep, that lightning was unexpected and cool! It rumbles the DS3 like crazy too

Avarice
post #198 of 1111 Old 04-30-2008, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Quote:

Burnout Paradise does indeed look great, but it's doing a lot less than GTA4. For one thing, there are no people. And the city is a fair bit smaller.
post #199 of 1111 Old 04-30-2008, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:

Wow - tough crowd. I think it's amazing. Perfect? No - but that's a high standard. Forget the fact that the reviews are universally lauding it, and giving it incredible ratings, top-to-bottom, apparently we're all not smart enough to see that it's got bad graphics.

"Where's the Imp???" "SHUTUP!!"

post #200 of 1111 Old 04-30-2008, 09:32 AM

Quote:

You can't compare this game to Burnout. Think about all the things that are going on in GTA vs. Burnout - people, many other cars with actual people in them that interact with the environment, buildings, trash cans with stuff in them, etc. All of this takes up valuable space & resources, so something has to be done to fit everything you want in a game like this onto one disc. Sure the graphics aren't jaw-dropping in terms of realism compared to something like Burnout or GT5, but then again this game was never designed to look "realistic". Things could always be better, but why always focus on the negative when there are so many good things in this game? I can't see how you guys think this game looks like ****!

Sal

PSN - TonyLukes
post #201 of 1111 Old 04-30-2008, 09:50 AM

Agreed that the graphics were overhyped but the game is a whole lot of fun! Love the cinematic button. Great fun while cruising. Only real complaint is the cell screen in the corner is so hard to read, its so dark

Xbox Live GamerTag: SpectreOne3
post #202 of 1111 Old 04-30-2008, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member

if the cell screen is dark, you've got your RGB levels set wrong. change from full to limited. it's in the XMB under display settings. nearly all tv's need that set to limited- if you set it to full when it should be limited, dark graphics fall off to pure black too fast.
people tend to use it even when they shouldn't, though, because it's hard to notice the lost shadow detail, and it makes black levels look darker.
post #203 of 1111 Old 04-30-2008, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Avarice_ View Post

I'm not talking about in the distance, as that is obviously a depth of field effect. When the game starts and Nikko walks out into the street for the first time, everything feels very blurry.

After a few hours of gameplay I've either become accustomed to it and no longer notice or it truly went away. Either way, it's immaterial to me now.

fog / humidity perhaps?

I've seen weather effects make it much more blurry, But when it's sunny and clear it's only the far DOF effect for me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyLukes3 View Post

Think about all the things that are going on in GTA vs. Burnout - people, many other cars with actual people in them that interact with the environment, buildings, trash cans with stuff in them, etc.

I think the one thing I’ll take away from this game, is that the company that made the Euphoria Engine has a really, really, good thing going.

Don’t know how many people know this, but all in game animations are done on the fly, with physics, reacting to momentum, mass, situational AI, ect.

It’s really the defining facto of the game. Yesterday I took off from a cop trying get in my door, and he hung on for dear life. Did a high speed turn and he flew off because of the centrifugal force and rolled while trying to brace himself.

Shot a person and they react realistically to where they got shot, what kind of ammunition, distance, ect.

Pretty cool stuff, and it’s not even the apex of the engine can do. Can’t wait for Force un-leashed, Indy, and hopefully a new football game with this engine! (2K sports, get on that!)
post #204 of 1111 Old 04-30-2008, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 62
lol at the bad graphics comments. it's not perfect, you knew it wasn't going to be perfect, and yet you still complain. there will always be games that have near flawless graphics for you to show off your 6k dollar plasmas. gt5.

imo, the game looks awesome. and the attention to detail is superb. i once had my hood fly off and tap the roof of the car; it left a tiny scrape on the paint of the roof. the physics are awesome, the story is good, and the main character is way better than the other three combined. also, the mp is more addicting than cod4 when it actually works.

everyone that says the graphics suck needs to take a step back and look at the big picture.

500 gigs FTW.
post #205 of 1111 Old 04-30-2008, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobius_570 View Post

Only time I felt rumble was when you get to go upstairs with that Michelle chic and you doing the nasty and when I was riding on the train. Haven't noticed it any other times.

Set your phone on ring/vibrate. There ya go.
post #206 of 1111 Old 04-30-2008, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This game far exceeds the hype IMO. Yea, the graphics aren't Burnout but this is GTA, not Burnout. Sell it, play Burnout or COD4.
post #207 of 1111 Old 04-30-2008, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMass03 View Post

Agreed that the graphics were overhyped but the game is a whole lot of fun! Love the cinematic button. Great fun while cruising. Only real complaint is the cell screen in the corner is so hard to read, its so dark

You can also make the text of the phone larger in the phone's options menu.
post #208 of 1111 Old 04-30-2008, 10:11 AM

I don't have an HD TV. Does anyone here play GTA4 on a standard definition tube set? How does it look?

The reason I ask is b/c it never bothered me playing HD games on 32" Sony SD tv until I played Dead Rising for the XBOX 360. It has a lot of text and map icons which are blurry and unreadable on standard def. The Show 08 has some text which is hard to read on my SD set also. I know it's time to upgrade to HD but in the mean time, I really want to try GTA4!
post #209 of 1111 Old 04-30-2008, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman209 View Post

I don't have an HD TV. Does anyone here play GTA4 on a standard definition tube set? How does it look?

The reason I ask is b/c it never bothered me playing HD games on 32" Sony SD tv until I played Dead Rising for the XBOX 360. It has a lot of text and map icons which are blurry and unreadable on standard def. The Show 08 has some text which is hard to read on my SD set also. I know it's time to upgrade to HD but in the mean time, I really want to try GTA4!

^
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cygnus311 View Post

You can also make the text of the phone larger in the phone's options menu.

Only thing you need text for is the phone, and there ya go
post #210 of 1111 Old 04-30-2008, 10:19 AM

blurry and ****** at 1080i on ps3/62' dlp....unchecked 1080i as max to 720p in ps3 system settings. game looks 100% better when set to 720p. anyone with the same issues give it a try...
Reply PlayStation Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page