GTA + "NEXT GEN" graphics?, really? you expected that happen? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 68 Old 05-03-2008, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Gslide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 918
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Not sure if you noticed but geeks from neogaf and other lames from other sites all seem to be worrying, about the thing which least matters on GTA games aka the graphics. GTA has always been the series which you could say "see graphics don't really matter", if you want to have huge mega millions selling series in this business.

Now all these lames all over the internet who have clearly been spoiled by graphical games, expect GTA devs to be lemmings and follow the graphics whoring crowd???, I am glad R* are not like that and have always kept their own style to their games. People don't get that Sam and Dan Houser don't care if a game looks realistic or has good graphics, as long as it delivers on what they want in terms of effects/details and stuff like that. If it has bad AA, but allows for the world to be more detail they don't give damn, if it has tons of stuff/details all at low textures, but allows for a steady "GTA free flowing experience" then it is all good.

But back to the point, people need to hold up and realize that whining about GTA's graphics doesn't really make sense, because since day one on PC to the GTA3 on PS2 until the last GTA last gen(SA). Notice they all had the same style for that generation, so get ready because this generation will be the same exact situation. GTA 5, 6, 7( or stories in between) will all have a GTA IV style to them in terms of visuals, which I personally call a more realistic "gta style" type of visuals.
Gslide is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 68 Old 05-03-2008, 05:15 PM
Member
 
Mini123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 157
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I think the game looks pretty damn amazing, much better than San Andreas if you scale the technology and size of each game.

"Although I am already in my pyjamas."
Mini123 is offline  
post #3 of 68 Old 05-03-2008, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Gslide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 918
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
^Thanks for bringing that up, this is by far the most amazing looking 'GTA game' people have ever seen( compared to the old ones), but see some spoiled gamers have this weird mentality that it is supposed to look like Uncharted or something just because were are in a new gen. R* clearly puts its own artistic style to their GTA games and make sure all keep that same look and feel, if they stray away from that formula then it wouldn't be GTA anymore.
Gslide is offline  
post #4 of 68 Old 05-03-2008, 05:42 PM
Member
 
Thanatos9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Miami, FL 33156
Posts: 147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Game looks good to me. Its done in that sorta comic look rather than a more burnout/cod4 style realistic look. Only improvements would be the occasional jaggies and some fps slowdowns. Then again maybe I'm spoiled by burnout and cod4 at 60fps. I rewatched the GTA4 trailers from PSN, and the game looks identical to what they portrayed in it, not sure what the uproar is about since they showed us the game in trailers weeks prior. The changing skies and environment is amazing, I'm really enjoying it so far. Haven't played much MP.

Can't please everyone.

PSN: Thanatos9
Thanatos9 is offline  
post #5 of 68 Old 05-03-2008, 05:46 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member
 
Toe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 12,947
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Overall, I think the game is amazing looking. Once you learn to appreciate the graphic style of this game, and understand just how much is going on and the scale, etc...it truly has many jaw dropping moments

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
Toe is offline  
post #6 of 68 Old 05-03-2008, 06:33 PM
Advanced Member
 
Swift Mojo Hand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 722
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Overall, I think the game is amazing looking. Once you learn to appreciate the graphic style of this game, and understand just how much is going on and the scale, etc...it truly has many jaw dropping moments

I agree. Look at the box art, that is the look they where going for. It really is amazing so meny of the little thing work in this game. The toll booths, the physics, the endorphin engine, This game is next gen for sure.

When in doubt use the spoiler tag "[$poiler] Spoiler text [/spoiler]"

Xbox: Swift Mojo Hand
PSN: SwiftM0j0Hand
Swift Mojo Hand is offline  
post #7 of 68 Old 05-04-2008, 07:04 AM
Senior Member
 
1337H4X's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 292
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift Mojo Hand View Post

I agree. Look at the box art, that is the look they where going for. It really is amazing so meny of the little thing work in this game. The toll booths, the physics, the endorphin engine, This game is next gen for sure.

without euphoria this game would just be meh to me. once when i went to steal a police car i drove off and found one of the cops still had his hand on the door handle XD
1337H4X is offline  
post #8 of 68 Old 05-04-2008, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member
 
spinksjinx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 4,178
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Grand Theft Auto was never about the visuals, the game was always about interacting in a living breathing real to life city. GTA achieves that with their latest installment, the graphics they have are suitable and up to par with a lot of the other games. Rockstar did a great job, what did you expect. When did GTA ever do anything ground breaking in terms of graphics. The AI and the physics are amazing name a better game that does it better? The visuals are icing on the cake.
spinksjinx is offline  
post #9 of 68 Old 05-04-2008, 12:26 PM
Senior Member
 
Bokchoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Edmonton, AB, Canada
Posts: 482
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gslide View Post

Not sure if you noticed but geeks from neogaf and other lames from other sites all seem to be worrying, about the thing which least matters on GTA games aka the graphics. GTA has always been the series which you could say "see graphics don't really matter", if you want to have huge mega millions selling series in this business.

Now all these lames all over the internet who have clearly been spoiled by graphical games, expect GTA devs to be lemmings and follow the graphics whoring crowd???, I am glad R* are not like that and have always kept their own style to their games. People don't get that Sam and Dan Houser don't care if a game looks realistic or has good graphics, as long as it delivers on what they want in terms of effects/details and stuff like that. If it has bad AA, but allows for the world to be more detail they don't give damn, if it has tons of stuff/details all at low textures, but allows for a steady "GTA free flowing experience" then it is all good.

But back to the point, people need to hold up and realize that whining about GTA's graphics doesn't really make sense, because since day one on PC to the GTA3 on PS2 until the last GTA last gen(SA). Notice they all had the same style for that generation, so get ready because this generation will be the same exact situation. GTA 5, 6, 7( or stories in between) will all have a GTA IV style to them in terms of visuals, which I personally call a more realistic "gta style" type of visuals.

Even given the fact that GTA has always been more about artistic merit than state-of-the-art graphics, GTA4's graphics is still disappointing to those standards. It's not even in HD.

The reason why people are complaining about the graphics is that the reviewers give it perfect scores on graphics. Because of that, everyone had even higher expectations.

GTA4 is an incredible game and I've enjoyed every second of it, and yes, GTA games have historically been graphically inferior to other AAA titles of its time, but GTA4's graphics leave much to be desired. Don't kid yourself.

PSN: bokchoykn
Bokchoy is offline  
post #10 of 68 Old 05-04-2008, 12:50 PM
Advanced Member
 
eimajnacnud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 543
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I agree that the graphics are poor compared to the likes of COD4, Gears, Bioshock and so on, but these games are no where near as huge as GTA4. There is no way we would have the world that GTA4 creates if the focus was mainly graphics as I'm guessing it would have taking up too much space (and time in general) on the disc thus lessening the scope that R* wanted for the game.
eimajnacnud is offline  
post #11 of 68 Old 05-04-2008, 12:54 PM
Senior Member
 
Bokchoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Edmonton, AB, Canada
Posts: 482
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yeah, where GTA4 lacks in graphics, it makes up for in other areas, but that doesn't change the fact that GTA4 lacks in graphics.

PSN: bokchoykn
Bokchoy is offline  
post #12 of 68 Old 05-04-2008, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
eddy_winds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,747
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Its about the GTA look

My mom works for Sony, and she brought home a copy of "Starhawk BETA"
I quickly slipped it into my trusty PS3, and started playing.


GOOZEX Game/Movie Exchange
eddy_winds is offline  
post #13 of 68 Old 05-04-2008, 03:32 PM
Senior Member
 
diceburna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 366
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Also to R*'s defense at the present moment the resources to accomplish such a feat is not available . I think I can speak for most video game aficinados and say that R* did an excellent job with this game and the sales numbers will show. LOL TBH the game is sooo good that I'm not even giving R* grief over this online connectivity bug.
diceburna is online now  
post #14 of 68 Old 05-04-2008, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
blklightning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,157
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1337H4X View Post

without euphoria this game would just be meh to me. once when i went to steal a police car i drove off and found one of the cops still had his hand on the door handle XD

try sideswiping them into oncoming traffic. it's hilarious.

btw, all this complaining about the graphics is both old and unjustified. it's obvious that people don't understand that these systems have their limits when it comes to resources. namely, the fact that the ps3 and 360 only have 512 mb of ram available. that isn't a lot, especially when you're running a game as large as gta is. sure, rockstar will squeeze some more performance out of these two machines with the next iteration of the series, but for now i'm more than satisfied with what they've accomplished. stop whining and just enjoy a great game. wtf?

500 gigs FTW.
blklightning is offline  
post #15 of 68 Old 05-04-2008, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Goatse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Pineapple under the sea
Posts: 3,874
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
checking out san andeas, gta4 is a huge leap in graphics.
Goatse is offline  
post #16 of 68 Old 05-04-2008, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Anthony1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Posts: 5,928
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 144
The graphics of the game aren't anywhere close to being "bad", per se, but I think alot of the people out there may have been taken aback by the blurry factor. GTA IV seems to have this blurriness, fuzziness thing going on (not just the depth of field effects), and I think that caught alot of people off guard. I think the real problem with that, is not so much that it's there, but that none of the screenshots or videos prior to release revealed these issues. So when people first plopped the game in, and got to the part of the game where they first stepped out of Roman's apartment and into the sunlight, they saw this general blurriness or fuzziness, and it kindof shocked them.

That exact situation happened to me.

Having said all of that, in no way, shape, or form, could I consider the graphics of GTA IV to be "bad". Sure, it would be even more awesome if the graphics were as clear and crisp as Saint's Row or Crackdown, but Saint's Row and Crackdown don't have nearly as much going on simultaneously as GTA IV. This is Rockstar North's first "real" attempt on next-gen hardware, and I think the next GTA installment will look pretty much exactly the same, but might loose the fuzziness, blurriness factor. At that point, people will start bitching about something else. I will admit that I did alot of posts about the blurriness issue, but it wasn't so much me bitching about it, as it was me trying to convey what I was experiencing initially.

Having played the game more and more, it's really no longer any issue to me whatsoever. I'm playing the game on a 124" screen, and that issue was a bit more magnified because of that, and it's certainly not the first game I would whip out as demo material for my front projection setup. I would most likely use that one level in Uncharted, where you are riding on the SeaDoo thing, and trying to go against the current, up the rapids. That level was just freaking sick. That, or Bioshock or something like that, would be my demo material.

I'm now at the point where I don't really want to think about the graphics in regards to GTA IV. I just want to enjoy what is surely going to go down as one of the 20 or so best games EVER made.
Anthony1 is offline  
post #17 of 68 Old 05-04-2008, 05:15 PM
Senior Member
 
diceburna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 366
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Also I am TRULY IMPRESSED with that new Euphoria engine they incorporated into the GTA4 :-D. The animations in this game is sick, for example walking out of the bar hehehehe, crash scenes, even the animations on when people get shot looks amazing. When I was telling a buddy of mines about this...he put me on to an even better game engine called Frostbite.
diceburna is online now  
post #18 of 68 Old 05-04-2008, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
PJ_Rage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 4,388
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I love how everyone keeps comparing the graphics to a ps2 game, saying that they are better than San Andreas, as if that is some sort of huge achievement that isn't to be expected.

That argument, IMO, makes the graphics sound even worse than they are. When you need to compare a next gen game to a previous gen game's graphics to win an argument, you are grasping at straws.

SXRD/Oppo/Yamaha/Klipsch
PS3/PSN: pj_rage
360/Live: pjrage82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daekwan
Dude please, your list of toys is so long its like Santa is your dad lol.
PJ_Rage is offline  
post #19 of 68 Old 05-04-2008, 07:22 PM
Senior Member
 
Bokchoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Edmonton, AB, Canada
Posts: 482
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatse View Post

checking out san andeas, gta4 is a huge leap in graphics.

What's your point? You're comparing a PS3 game to PS2 standards.

PSN: bokchoykn
Bokchoy is offline  
post #20 of 68 Old 05-04-2008, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bassmonkeee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,713
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ_Rage View Post

I love how everyone keeps comparing the graphics to a ps2 game, saying that they are better than San Andreas, as if that is some sort of huge achievement that isn't to be expected.

That argument, IMO, makes the graphics sound even worse than they are. When you need to compare a next gen game to a previous gen game's graphics to win an argument, you are grasping at straws.

Everyone is comparing it to the PS2 game because that's the last one in the series. How is that grasping at straws?

The detractors are the ones saying the game looks like a last gen game--all anyone has ever done is point out just how much better it truly looks than San Andreas.

PSN/XBL: bassmonkeee
Wii number: Who cares?
bassmonkeee is offline  
post #21 of 68 Old 05-04-2008, 07:37 PM
Advanced Member
 
watsonte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 579
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I really dont know what everyone is all up in arms over...if there are enough of you and you are more than capable of producing a game of this size and a game that does in fact look better than what we currently have in GTA IV I will gladly listen....

Until then I will continue to play and enjoy GTA IV.
watsonte is offline  
post #22 of 68 Old 05-04-2008, 08:04 PM
Advanced Member
 
wierdo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 936
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokchoy View Post

Even given the fact that GTA has always been more about artistic merit than state-of-the-art graphics, GTA4's graphics is still disappointing to those standards. It's not even in HD.

It's higher resolution than COD4. Same as Halo 3.
wierdo is offline  
post #23 of 68 Old 05-04-2008, 08:05 PM
Senior Member
 
Bokchoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Edmonton, AB, Canada
Posts: 482
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassmonkeee View Post

Everyone is comparing it to the PS2 game because that's the last one in the series. How is that grasping at straws?

The detractors are the ones saying the game looks like a last gen game--all anyone has ever done is point out just how much better it truly looks than San Andreas.

And Super Mario Galaxy looks a lot better than Super Mario 3.

In comparison to other AAA titles on PS3, GTA4 is nowhere near the top. How it compares to games of previous generations is irrelevant.

PSN: bokchoykn
Bokchoy is offline  
post #24 of 68 Old 05-04-2008, 08:07 PM
Advanced Member
 
wierdo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 936
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokchoy View Post

How it compares to games of previous generations is irrelevant.

All I can say is L. O. L.
wierdo is offline  
post #25 of 68 Old 05-04-2008, 08:07 PM
Senior Member
 
Bokchoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Edmonton, AB, Canada
Posts: 482
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wierdo View Post

It's higher resolution than COD4. Same as Halo 3.

Two games that have better graphics than GTA4.

PSN: bokchoykn
Bokchoy is offline  
post #26 of 68 Old 05-04-2008, 08:21 PM
Advanced Member
 
wierdo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 936
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokchoy View Post

Two games that have better graphics than GTA4.

Can't say about Halo 3, but COD4 graphics aren't a whole lot better. Somewhat better, sure, but not by a lot, especially considering the difference in how much is going on.
wierdo is offline  
post #27 of 68 Old 05-04-2008, 08:37 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member
 
Toe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 12,947
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokchoy View Post

And Super Mario Galaxy looks a lot better than Super Mario 3.

In comparison to other AAA titles on PS3, GTA4 is nowhere near the top. How it compares to games of previous generations is irrelevant.


When you take into account everything the game and graphics are doing and how "BIG" this world in GTA4 is, I would say it is the most impressive game for graphics at its best moments (which there are MANY) and on top of all AAA titles. You must take these things into consideration when evaluating the game as no game in the AAA category is anywhere near this big in scale as far as the open world is concerned.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
Toe is offline  
post #28 of 68 Old 05-04-2008, 10:56 PM
AVS Special Member
 
blklightning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,157
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 60
still a lot of fail in this thread.

500 gigs FTW.
blklightning is offline  
post #29 of 68 Old 05-04-2008, 11:06 PM
Advanced Member
 
iamkoza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 827
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
As a person who has played a majority of pc games over the last 3-4 years, these ps3 graphics are just not as good as I had hoped for. To me it reminds me of playing GTA SA on ps2 for the first time.... It was unplayable FOR ME because of the blurry graphics and poor draw distances... I eventually picked up SA on the PC and enjoyed the game because I was able to get the graphics to my standards on my pc. I will try to play this game out on the ps3, but I may again have to wait for the PCversion, again this is my own harsh standards for graphics and just my opinion
iamkoza is offline  
post #30 of 68 Old 05-05-2008, 02:47 AM
AVS Special Member
 
swifty7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,661
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I think ps3's GTA 4 graphics look pretty good, the GTA nirvana for me is when we get a GTA game with Grand Tourismo Prologue graphics.....now that will be the day. I'm sure ps3 could handle it if given enough time like 3 to 4 years.
swifty7 is offline  
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off