Metal Gear Solid 4 reviews - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 491 Old 06-11-2008, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 199
TyrantII posted some great Youtube links of all the cutscenes in every MG game except MGS4.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 491 Old 06-11-2008, 02:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

As a courtesy for gaining early access to review the game, there were restrictions placed on mentioning mudane issues like pre-loading to the hard drive. The Edge and others don't pare down their reviews for a company, so the question itself is misguided. The scores are what they are regardless (Edge still had criticisms and gave it a 8.0). Issues on gameplay, graphics, sound FX, music, control mechanics, etc. had no restrictions whatsoever.

not trying to be to long winded here but would like some opinions.
seems to be a disturbing tend in the mgs4 reviews. when reading closely the words of reviewers almost everyone thinks the game is epic. mgs finest hour, even advances game development as a whole basically a 10 by all. but for some reason by the end of some of these reviews. the author will try to find something to turn a 10 into a 8 or 9.
un like most of this generation so far with writers and game sites will say basically a game is a 8 in a review and by the end try to find ways to turn it into a 10. WTF

hey even i can find fault somewhere with the lotr movies, or star wars, or a mark twain novel, even a Robert frost poem. or a Beatles album. but they are all still 10's in my way of thinking.
don't want spoilers but for those that have played what score would you give mgs4

-------------------------
psn: acelightning15
just call me ace
post #183 of 491 Old 06-11-2008, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I suppose that it is human nature to separate the positive from the negative; the negative appears at the end because no one ever wants to hear it. As a cynical individual, I can attest to this.

Of course, a good writer will simply mention both in the respective and relevant categories. This is, however, game journalism...
post #184 of 491 Old 06-11-2008, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Lets look at it this way:

If you are a fan of the MGS games, then this game is your last shot at it, so you want it to be really over the top. Looks like thats what you are going to get, too.

If you are not a fan of the MGS games, this game is going to be everything you hated about the earlier games, only x200.

The Otaku who think this kind of story is "good" will no doubt fall in love with all the twists, turns and improbabilities. The folks who think this kind of "Japanese Kitchen Sink" storytelling is rubbish will have hours and hours of high-quality HD diologue to ridicule for weeks to come.

And in the end everyone will be happy

I for one respect the game series and what it accomplished....you simply cannot slap down the innovation and artistry that the Metal Gear games were about. But I personally think it lost the crown in terms of gameplay to Splinter Cell and the way those games played.

Of course, those games aren't Japanese...so Sam's daughter never turned out to be an Alien collective intelligence living inside a robot shell who was also the Mother of the entire world from the beginning of time named Gaia who was about to unleash the Melancholy Exasperous power to rid the Earth of the parasitic human infestation once and for all.

And thats kinda what I can't get into with Metal Gear games...they'd be great, if only they didn't have Japanese guys doing the writing. Revolver Oscelot?

I mean I dont care what they are named, but its kinda hard to take a story seriously when your characters are all named like the guy was filling out a MAD LIBS form.

Having said that, As long as the combat and action is good, I'll play the game someday when I can pick it up used.

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

post #185 of 491 Old 06-11-2008, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 443
Now they are charging for characters for online play.

http://www.n4g.com/ps3/News-156530.aspx

The 5.0 is here
post #186 of 491 Old 06-11-2008, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadRusch View Post

I mean I dont care what they are named, but its kinda hard to take a story seriously when your characters are all named like the guy was filling out a MAD LIBS form... And thats kinda what I can't get into with Metal Gear games...they'd be great, if only they didn't have Japanese guys doing the writing.

The character's names are explained in the different games. Revolver Ocelot's included.

But yea... if you don't like the storytelling, or don't dig the style that Kojima is going for (everything done in MGS2 is intentionally, purposefully done - here are some articles about the game) - you won't like MGS. The games are what they are.

They aren't your typical American-style, straight-up, no BS army-stye games. For that there is Splinter Cell and a million others. They are light hearted, filled with weird characters, in-jokes, and fourth-wall breaking moments. At the same time, though, they are heavy as **** and deal with important themes few games (SC included) do. They also have some truly great characters and amazing character progression. And there aren't that many games like that.

The games are great because they have Japanese guys, or rather the Japanese guys who are in charge of the games, doing the writing.
post #187 of 491 Old 06-11-2008, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
I really think you guys should buy/rent the game before judging it. It is well worth the purchase.

The initial load time is the worst, but the subsequent load times between acts aren't bad. It's basically a few minutes each act, which lasts hours. After playing the game for that long & watdching all the cutscenes, you seriously need a break anyways.

The japanese weirdness makes me scratch my head at times, but it's usually not something that'll kill the game experience. At least not for me. And yeah, a lot of the characters are pretty weird, and the bosses outrageous (not only mgs, but A LOT of other games), but there is some appeal to fighting them. If you take an american action game, they'll spawn 100s of troops to "zerg" you or make you fight a tank + troops as a "boss fight". I see the game styles as being different, not necessarily one being better than the other.

#1liang explains this issue a lot better than I could IMO.

Sony pay me 10 beeeelion dollars to plant blu-ray seeeeds.
post #188 of 491 Old 06-11-2008, 10:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
8 minute install just started

soon....very soon.... (for me at least )

XBOX
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| PS4 - Hyperplasia
post #189 of 491 Old 06-11-2008, 10:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangs55 View Post

8 minute install just started

soon....very soon.... (for me at least )

Dang,,,I hate you
post #190 of 491 Old 06-11-2008, 10:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 443
2 minutes left and Snake is on his 3rd cig

The 5.0 is here
post #191 of 491 Old 06-11-2008, 10:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga View Post

2 minutes left and Snake is on his 3rd cig

Bwahahahhahah Good one.
I wonder if Kojima smokes.

/Getting my Bundle on my Lunch Break

When in doubt use the spoiler tag "[$poiler] Spoiler text [/spoiler]"

Xbox: Swift Mojo Hand
PSN: SwiftM0j0Hand
post #192 of 491 Old 06-11-2008, 10:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Don't rub it in. I'm starting to regret not doing the midnight launch, but I wouldn't have had much time to play it tonight.
post #193 of 491 Old 06-11-2008, 10:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 199
US IGN will review the game once they play online on normal servers:

Quote:

...one question we get more than any other lately is, "When is IGN US going to review MGS4?"

The short answer is, "not until we can review the game fully." While Kojima Productions has lifted its previous restrictions on the much-publicized list of points that can be talked about prior to the game's release (Konami had originally placed a restriction for reviewers, asking them to not mention installation, load times, cutscene length, and other aspects of the game if they posted the review before the game was released), and despite the fact that we have already completed the game -- Jeff has played through it twice, and Greg and Chris are playing through to the end as I write this -- we've decided to hold off on our review until we can play the Metal Gear Online segment with real people on real servers when the servers open on Thursday.

Here's a snippet of the Australia ign review (9.5/10):

Quote:

Hideo Kojima is in the wrong line of work. He shouldn't be making games – he's no more a game designer of merit than most other top tier developers around the world. His latest game, as we'll discuss, is impressively solid in every respect – but it's not a revolution, and that's just fine. However, Kojima is a visionary of the machinima trade. He renders emotive drama with digital characters and spins his tales with a truly cinematic scope in mind at all times. I'm not talking about 'cinematic' in the same way that every other developer claims that its latest effort is 'cinematic'; no, when Kojima points his virtual lens at the landscape, he does so with masterful direction on par with real-world action filmmakers.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

post #194 of 491 Old 06-11-2008, 10:47 PM
AVS Special Member

just curious, did they wait when GTAIV was released?

post #195 of 491 Old 06-11-2008, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_six_pack View Post

just curious, did they wait when GTAIV was released?

Nope, they had an "exclu$ive" review, 10/10.

Also, to the person who posted the link about paying for more characters. How many characters do you have in Halo? or Call of Duty? Why would you need more than one character? especially when MGO has taken the COD4 system of perks and multiplied it tenfold, letting you change the attributes of your character whenever you want. Yeah sure, they are milking the game buy charging for more characters, but why would you need more?
post #196 of 491 Old 06-11-2008, 11:27 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
From the beta, you customize your character. So essentially there are hundreds of character variations, although I liked making mine look like Snake Eyes from G.I. Joe.

I guess if you wanted to run around like Otacon, you would have to pay for that.

P.S. I don't know what characters they have in mind.
post #197 of 491 Old 06-12-2008, 12:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
1.5 hours into it....

Initial impressions: damnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Graphics: best I've seen yet on PC or any console...easily...
Sounds: excellent
Gameplay: Cover system needs the ability to fire, but other than that, feels decent
Overall: Completely engrossing and immersive. I can't think of a game that has drawn me in so fast with so much awe. The cinematics + graphics will likely make this an epic gaming experience--the kind we look back on and remember when we played it through the first time not knowing what was next. The only other game that could compete with what I've seen so far is Bioshock, one of my all time favorites.

XBOX
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| PS4 - Hyperplasia
post #198 of 491 Old 06-12-2008, 12:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
For those of you that have played it. How much time do I need to give myself from initial install to the first save. I dont wanna put it in first thing after I get home and get stuck missing cutscenes ect.. while the kids are acting like maniacs and the wife is yelling at me :P
post #199 of 491 Old 06-12-2008, 12:24 AM

Alright...it's past 3 am eastern. Where's that damn IGN review.
post #200 of 491 Old 06-12-2008, 01:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangs55 View Post

1.5 hours into it....

Initial impressions: damnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Graphics: best I've seen yet on PC or any console...easily...
Sounds: excellent
Gameplay: Cover system needs the ability to fire, but other than that, feels decent
Overall: Completely engrossing and immersive. I can't think of a game that has drawn me in so fast with so much awe. The cinematics + graphics will likely make this an epic gaming experience--the kind we look back on and remember when we played it through the first time not knowing what was next. The only other game that could compete with what I've seen so far is Bioshock, one of my all time favorites.

You can fire from cover, but it's not as advanced as some other games. While you're in cover, press L1, and you'll swing halfway out and be able to shoot. Release L1, and you'll swing back behind the wall.

post #201 of 491 Old 06-12-2008, 01:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonstiller View Post

For those of you that have played it. How much time do I need to give myself from initial install to the first save. I dont wanna put it in first thing after I get home and get stuck missing cutscenes ect.. while the kids are acting like maniacs and the wife is yelling at me :P

You can pause the cutscenes. Or you can just restart the game and watch the initial cutscenes again, which is what I did.

About the initial cutscenes & gameplay length & whatnot
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
the initial cutscene is pretty long. The first hour or so of the game is rather slow, because it's mostly cutscenes and letting you get used to the controls.

post #202 of 491 Old 06-12-2008, 01:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Picked up the game tonight. Took some pictures:

|
|
post #203 of 491 Old 06-12-2008, 02:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
^^ So jealous right now !!!!!
post #204 of 491 Old 06-12-2008, 05:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah the install warnings also tell you not to play on a plasma. lol That will piss off more than a few ppl here. What a cool install! Snake just chills and smokes while it does it's thing.

To me the game is just like every other Metal Gear gameplay wise. It does look good though.

I own X360 - Wii - PS3
I see @ 1080p
I'm BROKE!
post #205 of 491 Old 06-12-2008, 05:20 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I look forward to more screen shots as the day goes on.

I for one am not sure that I am going to get it right now.

It is a sad day when I know I probably do not have the time to devote to it. Getting old and being the real world is no fun!
post #206 of 491 Old 06-12-2008, 05:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Will stores have copies today or tomorrow?
post #207 of 491 Old 06-12-2008, 05:42 AM

Liked: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadRusch View Post

Revolver Oscelot?

Never got around to MGS3, did you?

Of course all the characters have real names. Why would they go by them while on a espionage mission?

I'm getting the impression you've played MGS1 ages ago, but forgot everything but your fond memories of it, then hated MGSII because you didn't get to play as Snake, and the story took some sharp twits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by number1laing View Post

They aren't your typical American-style, straight-up, no BS army-stye games. For that there is Splinter Cell and a million others. They are light hearted, filled with weird characters, in-jokes, and fourth-wall breaking moments. At the same time, though, they are heavy as **** and deal with important themes few games (SC included) do. They also have some truly great characters and amazing character progression. And there aren't that many games like that.

The games are great because they have Japanese guys, or rather the Japanese guys who are in charge of the games, doing the writing.

This.

I went back and just watched MGS1:TS (instead of playing the original) on my quest to get caught up and fresh on the series in prep and was surprised how good the story actually was.

Sure there's kooky Japanese humor in there, but the attention to detail and continuity is impressive.

I really can't tell you the last time I played a American game that I got that "oh wow" feeling about it's story... maybe HL2? It's a sad side effect in the height of cheap (or expensive) cloned FPS gaming.

Funny thing is Kojima's had the basic plot of all these games pretty much planned out since MGS1 when he decided to expand beyond what he did on the MSX/NES. He even had concept pictures of MG-RAY, and started the MGSII storyline at the end of the credit roll of MGSI.

Anyways, time for a web blackout for me, Don't want to ruin this one.
post #208 of 491 Old 06-12-2008, 05:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by h3ro View Post

Nope, they had an "exclu$ive" review, 10/10.

You mean the same score that almost EVERYONE else gave it? Wow, they must have paid off a LOT of reviewers.
post #209 of 491 Old 06-12-2008, 05:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker412 View Post

Will stores have copies today or tomorrow?

Should be today.

Man I haven't even finished GTA IV yet. I agree with a post above about not having the time and getting old. The real world is lame!!

PSN: T-Neck

I'm doin' it wrong
post #210 of 491 Old 06-12-2008, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 94
How are the controls compared to Splinter Cell?

Your mom is a classy lady!

/ 

Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page