Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 491 Old 05-12-2008, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Reviews for MGS4:

Famitsu magazine scores it 40/40, only the seventh perfect score in their history.

++++++

UK OPM: 10/10

++++++

A review snippet from the PlayStation magazine (5/5 score):

Quote:

"MGS4 is special in so many ways that I suspect it will reside among the video game industry's greatest achievements long after we're dust" "Perfection".

+++++

ign.com USA says it deserves a masterful 10/10:
Quote:

Is it possible to give a game an 11? If so, this would be the game that would merit that score. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots is a title that exceeds all of the hype that was attached to the title. Regardless of whether you've seen every trailer and screenshot, read every preview and heard every interview, you won't get a full sense of how phenomenal this title is unless you sit down and experience it for yourself.

+++++

ignuk.com scores it 9.9/10:

Quote:

10 Presentation
From the opening videos to the end credits, the attention to detail throughout Guns of the Patriots is astonishing, setting new standards for production values in games.

10 Graphics
The visuals in MGS 4 are as cutting-edge as you can rightfully expect from the latest videogame blockbuster, boasting as much style as technical expertise.

10 Sound
The surround sound effects are stunning, having actual in-game effects, from using birdsong to detect enemies to choosing your own tunes.

10 Gameplay
Guns of the Patriots is the definitive MGS, taking stealth mechanics to new heights and throwing in so much more that you just have to discover it for yourself.

9.5 Lasting Appeal
Aside from the fact that the cut-scenes bear repeated viewing, you’ll want to play through MGS 4 again and again, simply to unlock ever more exotic weapons, items and player rankings.

+++++

Here's the Australia ign review (9.5/10):

Quote:

Hideo Kojima is in the wrong line of work. He shouldn't be making games – he's no more a game designer of merit than most other top tier developers around the world. His latest game, as we'll discuss, is impressively solid in every respect – but it's not a revolution, and that's just fine. However, Kojima is a visionary of the machinima trade. He renders emotive drama with digital characters and spins his tales with a truly cinematic scope in mind at all times. I'm not talking about 'cinematic' in the same way that every other developer claims that its latest effort is 'cinematic'; no, when Kojima points his virtual lens at the landscape, he does so with masterful direction on par with real-world action filmmakers.

+++++

Eurogamer gives it an 8/10:

Quote:

Metal Gear Solid has always been a love it or hate it proposition. Millions love it for its involved, conspiratorial plotting, its arch sense of humour, its demanding stealth gameplay, its sprawling cinematic ambition, its preposterous stylishness and pretensions toward artistic weight. Millions hate it for exactly the same reasons.

Then there are those - this reviewer included - for whom Metal Gear Solid is a love it and hate it proposition. Flawed, intractable, unspeakably tedious at times, and yet blessed with incredible production values, imaginative design, and a brilliant, brave willingness to think and do the unexpected and impossible. At times they're barely videogames at all, but they're capable of moments of pure videogame genius, joy and shock that few other series can match.

+++++

Gamepro magazine gives it a 5/5

Quote:

There's not much left to say. Metal Gear Solid 4 is a brilliant, moving, exciting, intense action game that succeeds hugely at everything it sets out to do. It sets new standards for graphics, sound, gameplay, and storytelling, and it may be years before it is equaled, let alone surpassed. You will not play a better game this year-maybe even this decade. If you own a PS3, buy this game immediately. And if you don't own a PS3, well, it's time to start saving those nickels and dimes.

In the end, everyone's a winner. The PlayStation 3 finally gets its "savior," Kojima gets his masterpiece, and gamers get one of the best games of all time. And they all lived happily ever after.

+++++

Gamespot gives it a 10/10

Quote:

- A brilliant mixture of storytelling and gameplay
- Mind-blowing audiovisual presentation
- Tight and compelling shooting mechanics
- Gratifying stealth mechanics
- Lots of cool gadgets and weapons that you can tailor to your own style of play
If the story-heavy presentation of previous Metal Gear games taxed your patience, Metal Gear Solid 4 won't change your mind. For anyone who appreciates games that rise above the simple act of pushing a few buttons and pulling a few triggers, Metal Gear Solid 4 is a stimulating ride that you won't soon forget. You'll want to see what happens next, yet when its long campaign draws to a close, you'll wish it would continue. That's not just because it's a well-told tale, but because that tale is woven through a thoroughly impressive game that tops its predecessors.

+++++

Gamespy scores it a 4.5/5.0:

Quote:

While the online multiplayer leaves a lot to be desired, the single-player campaign is excellent from start to finish. Sure, you'll need to sit through some long cut-scenes, but the gorgeous visuals (as well as the promise of finally getting some answers) make them well worth your time. Amazingly, while there are moments when the story gets bogged down by exposition, it's actually paced quite well, so you'll rarely find yourself getting bored. While we can't really speak for the non-fans out there, this is one game that longtime Metal Gear Solid fans shouldn't miss.

+++++

- Games Master UK magazine gives MGS4 a 97/100

- Edge magazine gives it an 8/10

- Game Informer gives out two scores, 10.0 and 9.75

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 491 Old 05-12-2008, 09:22 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I would not get my hopes up on future reviews, I expect high 80's to low 90's with this game. To me it just seems that PS games get knocked up for the silliest reasons.
post #3 of 491 Old 05-12-2008, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by white_dog View Post

To me it just seems that PS games get knocked up for the silliest reasons.

Say what?

Avarice
post #4 of 491 Old 05-12-2008, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Avarice_ View Post

Say what?

HE SAID TO ME IT JUST SEEMS THAT PS GAMES GET KNOCKED UP FOR THE SILLIEST REASONS.

J/K

The 5.0 is here
post #5 of 491 Old 05-12-2008, 09:36 AM
Advanced Member

I don't trust these early "exclusive" reviews. They rarely pan out, with the notable exception of GTA4. Assassin's Creed comes to mind as one of the more egregious abuses of the whole exclusivity thing.

Personally, MGS4 itself could be a steaming pile, I'm still buying it for MGSO.
post #6 of 491 Old 05-12-2008, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Well print mags understandably write up their reviews first since they have to deal with lead time.... this issue may not even physically hit the stands until next month. I'm wary of exclusive reviews too, but recent previews of the game from various sources have been equally glowing. We'll see when it arrives.

post #7 of 491 Old 05-12-2008, 10:05 AM

Pretty vague review but a review. I guess they didn't want any spoilers yet.

The FPS controls are what could possible suck me into the game quite a bit, though the "regular" gameplay looks more fun this time. Plus if this review is to be trusted it's got a crapload of actual gameplay time this time around which is very good news.
Quote:

I completed MGS4 in just over 29 hours, and at a guess I'd say it was two thirds playing to one third watching.

http://www.gamesradar.com/ps3/metal-...16153655522074
post #8 of 491 Old 05-12-2008, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by pernar View Post

Personally, MGS4 itself could be a steaming pile, I'm still buying it for MGSO.

Well that's a twist.

GTA4 killed my anticipation for any other game but it's starting to build again. By June 12th I'll be hyped more than ever. Just one month to go!
post #9 of 491 Old 05-12-2008, 10:21 AM

MGS4 is the first limited edition game I'm buying this gen of consoles... (FFXII was the first ever two years ago)... can't wait...

I'm going into media blackout now on anything and everything MGS...

Who's up for a replay through MGS1-3 starting soon leading up to MGS4's release?
post #10 of 491 Old 05-12-2008, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by briankmonkey View Post

Pretty vague review but a review. I guess they didn't want any spoilers yet.

The FPS controls are what could possible suck me into the game quite a bit, though the "regular" gameplay looks more fun this time. Plus if this review is to be trusted it's got a crapload of actual gameplay time this time around which is very good news.

http://www.gamesradar.com/ps3/metal-...16153655522074

Understand that the entire OPM review is much longer... I could only find the last paragraph and its score.

post #11 of 491 Old 05-12-2008, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

Understand that the entire OPM review is much longer... I could only find the last paragraph and its score.

That's good to know. I want to read about the level designs and the variety of environments/locations. We've really only had clips of one style so far. I'm hoping they have some jungles (3's were pretty cool from the little I played), snow, forests, etc as I always want in games
post #12 of 491 Old 05-12-2008, 10:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I completed MGS4 in just over 29 hours, and at a guess I'd say it was two thirds playing to one third watching.

WOW....9+ hours of video content/cut scenes, sounds like typical Kojima

June 12th can't come soon enough!

Quote:

Who's up for a replay through MGS1-3 starting soon leading up to MGS4's release?

I was thinking the same thing...just finished playing through Portable Ops again.

"Huh, I thought the rocky mountains would be a little rockier than this....that John Denver is full of s#!t man!"

PSN: NO-den
post #13 of 491 Old 05-12-2008, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by h3ro View Post

MGS4 is the first limited edition game I'm buying this gen of consoles... (FFXII was the first ever two years ago)... can't wait...

I just did recently. I replayed MGS2 and then bought the Essential Collection and played MGS1 and 3 again. They all really hold up well for me. Probably my favorite game series ever, unless you count Ico and SOTC as a series.
post #14 of 491 Old 05-12-2008, 11:18 AM

Liked: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by h3ro View Post

Don't forget gear I & II, and portable Opps!
post #15 of 491 Old 05-12-2008, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

Don't forget gear I & II, and portable Opps!

I have MGS: Essential Collection. The MGS 3 Subsistence in the collection doesn't have MG 1/2 like the original release did ... I don't have a PSP either, but I'd really like to get one so I could play FFVII:CC, FF Tactics, MG Acid and Portable Ops... Too many games!! ughh
post #16 of 491 Old 05-12-2008, 11:32 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Ok, so I am going to ask a stupid question. I have never played any of the Metal Gear games for whatever reason, so if someone was to compare this to another FPS, what could you compare it to? Splinter Cell?, COD3,4? Halo type games? Warhawk.

I guess I could purchase Metal Gear 3. I love games with cut-scenes as I find it makes the story more interesting, but after playing and finishing Splinter Cell, I found that it wasn't really the type of game that I am into.

I've read lots of information and followed the thread of the folks that were part of the Beta, but I still can't get a grasp as to what type of game it is.

One thing I do know is that it isn't a run and gun game like HAZE.

Any thoughts is appreciated.

Thanks and have a good day!

Brian Garner
-----------
XBox Gametag: IceSavior
PS3 Tag: IceSavior
- feel free to add me to your friends list
post #17 of 491 Old 05-12-2008, 11:43 AM

I would compare it to Splinter Cell, Its not a FPS by any means but it lets you do things from 1st person like Socom did. Its not Cod4 speed, so dont go in thinking its got the pace of COD4. Its a stealth action game and Stealth is the keyword here and its very strategic.
post #18 of 491 Old 05-12-2008, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgarner View Post

Ok, so I am going to ask a stupid question. I have never played any of the Metal Gear games for whatever reason, so if someone was to compare this to another FPS, what could you compare it to? Splinter Cell?, COD3,4? Halo type games? Warhawk.

I guess I could purchase Metal Gear 3. I love games with cut-scenes as I find it makes the story more interesting, but after playing and finishing Splinter Cell, I found that it wasn't really the type of game that I am into.

I've read lots of information and followed the thread of the folks that were part of the Beta, but I still can't get a grasp as to what type of game it is.

One thing I do know is that it isn't a run and gun game like HAZE.

Any thoughts is appreciated.

Chronologicaly speaking, the 3rd one is the first one because it all happen in the 60s. Imo, you should get the essential collection and start with MGS1,2,3 and of course the 4th one. The story is complex, I think the best story ever written for a videogame.
post #19 of 491 Old 05-12-2008, 12:29 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Got it. Thanks for the information. Going to research the MSG1,2,3 a little more before deciding. Although I enjoyed Splinter Cell, there was something about it that made me think that it isn't my type of game, which is why I didn't buy the other releases.

Thanks again,

Thanks and have a good day!

Brian Garner
-----------
XBox Gametag: IceSavior
PS3 Tag: IceSavior
- feel free to add me to your friends list
post #20 of 491 Old 05-12-2008, 12:53 PM

There is a retrospective video going all the way back to Metal Gear on gametrailers or gamevideos (i get them confused - the MTV owned one not the 1up video site) that is quite nice. It will give you some backstory and should give you an idea of what kind of game it is.

I wouldn't watch the video if you plan on playing the first 3 "Solid" games. I'm playing through MGS1 again. I plan on beating them all again before getting MGS4.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #21 of 491 Old 05-12-2008, 12:54 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
Is that big 10 on the left the score they gave the game?
post #22 of 491 Old 05-12-2008, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Yes, a 10/10 score. Here's the first part of the review if you can make out the text (added to first post):

post #23 of 491 Old 05-12-2008, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 41
too small, can't read. I hope it is Spoiler free. MGS4 could be 10/10 or 6/10. I would still get it lol!
post #24 of 491 Old 05-12-2008, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Likely has spoilers.... avoid reading any reviews if you can.

post #25 of 491 Old 05-12-2008, 01:21 PM

Doesn't really say anything about the actual game.., just that the "resolution is worth the wait". and clearly polished "mirror shined".. "MGS 4 is the remarkable high point"

Last part "what I wasn't expecting the games commitment to framing that closure with so many new ways to experiences the series "evade or die" core values"
post #26 of 491 Old 05-12-2008, 01:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga View Post

HE SAID TO ME IT JUST SEEMS THAT PS GAMES GET KNOCKED UP FOR THE SILLIEST REASONS.

J/K

LMAO

Even funner you said it all caps.. like how you have to raise your voice when talking to a Senior citizen thats hard of hearing.

Xbox Live & PSN gamertag- Daekwan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #27 of 491 Old 05-12-2008, 03:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgarner View Post

You really should play 1 & 2 before 3 to get the full enjoyment out of the series... but like all older video games, you may not be able to put up with gameplay/graphics that is last gen. I would try though, as 2 &3 reference previous games quite often.
post #28 of 491 Old 05-12-2008, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Not sure how this could get a perfect 10 considering the online is part of this package, and that, as we know from the Beta, equals failure.

Looking forward to the single player though, and glad they liked it.
post #29 of 491 Old 05-12-2008, 07:24 PM

Liked: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rein View Post

Not sure how this could get a perfect 10 considering the online is part of this package, and that, as we know from the Beta, equals failure.

Speak for yourself, I found it fun.
post #30 of 491 Old 05-12-2008, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rein View Post

What Beta did you play? Did you try the Sneaking Mission and play as Snake?

You obviously didn't because if you did, you would realize that MGO is the exact opposite of failure. No, its not a fast paced CoD4 wannabe, its a tactical shooter in the same vain as SOCOM.

If you are referring to the signup process, then yes, it wasn't well handled, but thats what Betas are for, right? Once that whole ordeal was done, MGO ran flawlessly and was good fun.

If you went into MGO trying to run and gun, forget about it. Impossible to do with this game's mechanics. If you had a good clan (I was a part of the NeoGAF clan that was No. 1 in overal clan rank/activity) and played with some friends seriously, this game was a blast. I'd rather play MGO over GTA MP anyday...
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page