ok thanks alot Big Red
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 1293 Old 11-05-2008, 05:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I know this may be a dumb question. I have a 40 sony lcd tv. I've seen a lot of wall mounted TV's on this forum. They look awesome and save a lot of space. I need to know from 1 to 10 how hard is the job of wall mounting, time and money. Recommendations are appreciated as well as list of tools. I've seen crutchfield's breakdown but I don't want to miss out on anything. Also, is this a 2 man job?

XBOX GT : CALL DR PHIL
post #543 of 1293 Old 11-05-2008, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmassey View Post

I know this may be a dumb question. I have a 40 sony lcd tv. I've seen a lot of wall mounted TV's on this forum. They look awesome and save a lot of space. I need to know from 1 to 10 how hard is the job of wall mounting, time and money. Recommendations are appreciated as well as list of tools. I've seen crutchfield's breakdown but I don't want to miss out on anything. Also, is this a 2 man job?

On a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being pound a nail in the wall and 10 being build a room, I would say it's a 2 or a 3 (depending on your skill level). If you have the right tools (pencil, level, power drill, socket wrench set) you can do it in about an hour. Definitely a 2 man job to attach the mount to the wall and the TV to the mount (at least in my situation where I was mounting it over 2 large subs and the center channel). Monoprice has some pretty well built reasonably priced mounts that seem to get good reviews around here. Definitely get a mount that is overbuilt for your needs i.e. capable of handling more weight than your TV actually weighs. Total cost for mine was $59 for the mount and $2 for longer, better lag bolts.

The problem with obsessions is that they are insatiable.
post #544 of 1293 Old 11-05-2008, 06:27 AM

Thanks for the advice. I'll probably be tackling this task on next Veteran's day. What are lag bolts?

post #545 of 1293 Old 11-05-2008, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 44
Yeah go monoprice for your mount...Same thing they sell in bestbuy except without the brand stamped into it. I'd say get a person to help you as well and be patient.

post #546 of 1293 Old 11-05-2008, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 58
here is my humble PS3 setup:

post #547 of 1293 Old 11-05-2008, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the advice. I'll probably be tackling this task on next Veteran's day. What are lag bolts?

Lag bolts are like giant screws with bolt heads so they can be screwed in with a socket wrench or adjustable wrench. Most mounts come with them but there have been horror stories about the heads snapping off so most people go to the local hardware store and buy better and slightly longer ones to do the job. I believe the ones that came with the mount were 2.5" and I got 3" at the hardware store. Also I forgot the most important tool.....a stud finder.

post #548 of 1293 Old 11-05-2008, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidmaven View Post

Lag bolts are like giant screws with bolt heads so they can be screwed in with a socket wrench or adjustable wrench. Most mounts come with them but there have been horror stories about the heads snapping off so most people go to the local hardware store and buy better and slightly longer ones to do the job. I believe the ones that came with the mount were 2.5" and I got 3" at the hardware store. Also I forgot the most important tool.....a stud finder.

the bolts that come with the mount are MORE than capable of handling the weight that the mount is spec'd at. There really is no need to buy different bolts...
I've mounted more TV's than i could care to think about and the only time you may have an issue is if the weight of the TV exceeds the spec'd weight the mount can handle...It would take quite a bit to snap the head off a lag bolt. So i would not say "most" people go buy different ones....
post #549 of 1293 Old 11-05-2008, 10:43 AM

Big Red every question I've had regarding home theater. You've always given quality answers that I needed to hear. You should be getting paid for this advice at the least. Thanks again! I'm going to take on this task this tuesday.

post #550 of 1293 Old 11-05-2008, 12:03 PM

Quote:

Big Red every question I've had regarding home theater. You've always given quality answers that I needed to hear. You should be getting paid for this advice at the least. Thanks again! I'm going to take on this task this tuesday.

Come on now if we keep praising him he will get a big head and then who knows what will happen. Will we have to change his screen name to "bigheadred"? I think so. So I say we take a day and follow red around and just refute every answer he posts on this forum.
post #551 of 1293 Old 11-05-2008, 12:08 PM

Ha! Ha! Funny!

post #552 of 1293 Old 11-05-2008, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

haha its called friendly advice, but hmmm being paid does sound nice
Good luck with the mounting, its really not hard at all! It's also quite easy to run the wires through the wall...unless your like me and live in an apartment lol. Then a good wire cover is needed.
post #553 of 1293 Old 11-05-2008, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phipp01 View Post

Come on now if we keep praising him he will get a big head and then who knows what will happen. Will we have to change his screen name to "bigheadred"? I think so. So I say we take a day and follow red around and just refute every answer he posts on this forum.

hahah your killin me. that would be funny though, but borderline stalking
post #554 of 1293 Old 11-05-2008, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigred7078 View Post

the bolts that come with the mount are MORE than capable of handling the weight that the mount is spec'd at. There really is no need to buy different bolts...
I've mounted more TV's than i could care to think about and the only time you may have an issue is if the weight of the TV exceeds the spec'd weight the mount can handle...It would take quite a bit to snap the head off a lag bolt. So i would not say "most" people go buy different ones....

I have to say that 2 out of the 4 bolts that came with the monoprice mount broke their heads while we were installing them for my tv bedroom. So I decided to go out and replace all 4 with better quality ones. I do agree that the bolts that came with the Sanus mount are of better quality. I used the Sanus mount for the living room tv.

-Vic
post #555 of 1293 Old 11-05-2008, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariachi View Post

I have to say that 2 out of the 4 bolts that came with the monoprice mount broke their heads while we were installing them for my tv bedroom. So I decided to go out and replace all 4 with better quality ones. I do agree that the bolts that came with the Sanus mount are of better quality. I used the Sanus mount for the living room tv.

-Vic

i guess i should have prefaced with i only use Sanus mounts. I've never tried the mono-price mounts. Kinda weird the heads broke off, but thats why i buy sanus product, its always good quality.
post #556 of 1293 Old 11-05-2008, 02:08 PM

Thanks for the installation guide. I must say nice setup.

post #557 of 1293 Old 11-05-2008, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It is not as simple for novices as some of these guys make it seem, and there are too many varaibles. Don't laugh my neighbor asked if I could help him and he wanted to know why the lag bolt was spinning freely in the wall. Do you have aluminum studs or wood? Where you want to center your TV will the mount reach two studs? Some building ordinances allow for 24" spacing between studs as opposed to 16". Maybe your walls aren't drywall but good old fashioned plaster. I don't mean to sound discouraging, but you asked what a lag bolt was and you are hanging an expensive piece of equipment. All I am saying is be cautious. Good Luck!

"You went full ******, man. Never go full ******."
om [NOM] nom
post #558 of 1293 Old 11-05-2008, 02:50 PM

Understood!

post #559 of 1293 Old 11-05-2008, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imdjenk View Post

It is not as simple for novices as some of these guys make it seem, and there are too many varaibles. Don't laugh my neighbor asked if I could help him and he wanted to know why the lag bolt was spinning freely in the wall. Do you have aluminum studs or wood? Where you want to center your TV will the mount reach two studs? Some building ordinances allow for 24" spacing between studs as opposed to the more common 18". Maybe your walls aren't drywall but good old fashioned plaster. I don't mean to sound discouraging, but you asked what a lag bolt was and you are hanging an expensive piece of equipment. All I am saying is be cautious. Good Luck!

Careful, you'll look for that stud for a long time if you measure 18" from center of the found stud. Try 16" from the found stud and you may have better luck.

If you're looking for studs in a bearing wall they will most definitely be 16" on-center.
post #560 of 1293 Old 11-05-2008, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dball2323 View Post

Careful, you'll look for that stud for a long time if you measure 18" from center of the found stud. Try 16" from the found stud and you may have better luck.

If you're looking for studs in a bearing wall they will most definitely be 16" on-center.

Oops! 16" , thanks for the correction.

"You went full ******, man. Never go full ******."
om [NOM] nom
post #561 of 1293 Old 11-06-2008, 04:14 AM

Also the drill bit you use to pre drill the holes for the lag bolts should be 1 size SMALLER than the lag bolts. I dont know if thats been mentioned. Also before screwing the lag bolts in, to make it easier, you can coat them with wax or soap. That way they are lubricated and will go in easy with less chance of snapping the heads off.
post #562 of 1293 Old 11-06-2008, 04:46 AM

Quote:

yeah its a Klipsch RW-12d... i had it from my old Swan Diva setup..for the money i got it at i just can't complain lol, not the best sub in the world, but it does the trick.

I appreciate the kind words phipp01 and right back at ya for sure
P.S.- my setup isnt that great with those damn wires hanging down haha. I've been meaning to deal with that for like 4 months... since i rent i need a cable cover, but just have been to lazy to do so will probably do that this coming week after the busy weekend.

Hey Red, I've got a question for you. I have that same TV stand that you do. I rent as well so I haven't wall mounted mine....it's being used for the TV to stand on and for A/V equipment. I was wondering if you have any sort of cable management system going on that works well. I'm not talking about the wires that hang down from your TV but rather the power cables and what not from all your A/V components. I have a mess of wires behind my stand and it looks terrible. The TV stand comes with a "cable management system" (meaning a hollowed out center tube) but it hasn't really worked well for me.....the power cables still need to runn to the wall. Any thoughts?

- Lou

post #563 of 1293 Old 11-06-2008, 05:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechaPoitier View Post

Hey Red, I've got a question for you. I have that same TV stand that you do. I rent as well so I haven't wall mounted mine....it's being used for the TV to stand on and for A/V equipment. I was wondering if you have any sort of cable management system going on that works well. I'm not talking about the wires that hang down from your TV but rather the power cables and what not from all your A/V components. I have a mess of wires behind my stand and it looks terrible. The TV stand comes with a "cable management system" (meaning a hollowed out center tube) but it hasn't really worked well for me.....the power cables still need to runn to the wall. Any thoughts?

haha well i dont have much help for you, if you could actually see the back of my TV stand it is a mess of wires. Fortunately for me, there is no view to the sides. The built in cable management piece for that stand is absolutely horrid, it just does not do the job. My only advice to you is dont get long cables so it minimizes the "rat nest effect", use zip ties, and strategic placement of wires is key. The stand is not perfect, but it the only piece i found that can hold my two amps and processor along with all my other gear. One last piece of advice, push the stand up agains the wall as far as possible, that way if you do have a view of the side, it will be harder to see all the cables. sorry that wasnt much help, but this stand is just limited with cable management.
post #564 of 1293 Old 11-06-2008, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hey Red I was specifically speaking about people that are using the Monoprice mount not the top dollar name brand mounts. The lag bolts that came with the Monoprice mount are not what I would consider a quality grade bolt for mounting thousands of dollars worth of TV. There is nothing worse than screwing in a lag bolt and having the head snap off halfway through. It's just easier to spend a couple of bucks on 4 quality bolts to give you the insurance ya know.

post #565 of 1293 Old 11-06-2008, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PioManiac View Post

I still find this extremely odd, properly screwing a lag bolt of any grade, into a wood stud should not cause the heads to snap off. [Steel>Wood]
Did the instructions not say to to pre-drill a pilot hole prior to installing the lag bolts? That's the key.

..for instance the Sanus instructions recommend a 3/16 hole for a 5/16 bolt.
Only a lag into a solid stud without pre-drilling could provide enough torque to twist a head off a steel bolt (in my experience)
I work for a Home Builder and its pretty rare to find steel bolts that are weaker than soft wood lumber that's used for framing purposes.

Not saying the monoprice bolts are good enough, they really could be crap
but if week hardware was actually the case, then Mononprice could be subject to lawsuit for damages.

+1. I would find it hard to snap a steel bolt off in a soft wood. Thats why I posted that you should PRE drill a hole a size smaller than the diameter of the bolt.
post #566 of 1293 Old 11-06-2008, 11:07 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcklein View Post

sorry for the quality of the pic.....

I like how the kill bill Blus cover all the porn

PSN: GeminiEffect
post #567 of 1293 Old 11-06-2008, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PioManiac View Post

I still find this extremely odd, properly screwing a lag bolt of any grade, into a wood stud should not cause the heads to snap off. [Steel>Wood]
Did the instructions not say to to pre-drill a pilot hole prior to installing the lag bolts? That's the key.

..for instance the Sanus instructions recommend a 3/16 hole for a 5/16 bolt.
Only a lag into a solid stud without pre-drilling could provide enough torque to twist a head off a steel bolt (in my experience)
I work for a Home Builder and its pretty rare to find steel bolts that are weaker than soft wood lumber that's used for framing purposes.

Not saying the monoprice bolts are good enough, they really could be crap
but if week hardware was actually the case, then Mononprice could be subject to lawsuit for damages.

I think the issue is probably that the pilot hole is not deep enough which then causes unnecessary pressure to be used to drive the bolt thereby causing the snapping of the head. I read enough reviews where the bolts had caused problems to make the decision to buy different ones easy. Better safe than sorry.

post #568 of 1293 Old 11-07-2008, 08:58 AM

I bought my TV below a while back, brand new of course. I love it

Here is the TV description link:
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921665087950

Here's the link regarding the mounts I was considering:
(1)
http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...PL250S&tp=8401
(2)
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Which one do you guys think would be best? Other suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Once I get my setup together I'll post the pics. Thanks in advance!

post #569 of 1293 Old 11-07-2008, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Pmassey either of those mounts will work fine... they are definitely overkill for the weight of that Sony. I like the one from Monoprice better, as it tilts. Both are low profile, so I think you'll be happy either way...

-Lee
PSN ID: AlphaShepherd
XBL: AlphaShepherd
post #570 of 1293 Old 11-07-2008, 09:19 AM

I was leaning towards the one from monoprice.

Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Speaker Systems , Sansui , Playstation 3 160gb System
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page