post #362 of 528 Old 03-29-2012, 12:37 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

Limbo's first half was very enjoyable in large part because of its unique atmosphere. It didn't lose its magic until the uninspired second half.

Agreed. The first half is made up of elements from a little boy's nightmares: giant spiders, bullies, etc. The second half feels more like a generic 2D platformer in silhouette. (Since when do little boys have nightmares about gravity switches?)
post #363 of 528 Old 03-29-2012, 04:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Just platted SSX, been playing the hell out of it lately.

Played through Journey a few times. Good stuff.

Slipping in sessions of Rock Band 3 here and there. Finally had to replace my old RB1 guitars due to wear. Surprised to see that the effect switch has disappeared on the new guitars, and the tilt switch is just as flaky as ever...

Was playing Skyrim for a while, but the monotony made me lose interest.

Was interested in Ninja Gaiden 3 until I saw all the poor reviews. Now I'll wait until it drops under $20.

Still have to get back to RDR Undead Nightmare sometime.

I also haven't played either of the Arkham games yet, so I need to circle back for those someday.

- Jer
post #364 of 528 Old 03-29-2012, 04:56 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 400
SSX has taken over my HT! One of the most addicting and fun games I have EVER played!

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #365 of 528 Old 03-29-2012, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhaines View Post

Slipping in sessions of Rock Band 3 here and there. Finally had to replace my old RB1 guitars due to wear. Surprised to see that the effect switch has disappeared on the new guitars, and the tilt switch is just as flaky as ever...

Plug a foot pedal into your guitar to trigger overdrive.
Best thing about RB3 guitars besides auto calibration.
post #366 of 528 Old 03-29-2012, 09:20 PM

Liked: 10
Just wrapped up Heavy Rain. I was definitely on the edge of my seat until the end. I hated the end.

My next game will be the God of War Origins collection. I have to have it since anything GoW are, in my opinion, the killer apps for the PS3.
post #367 of 528 Old 03-30-2012, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I decided to pick up Journey on the PS3 store based on all the positive reviews. Its a short game (I finished it in one sitting of about 2 1/2 hours) but utterly mesmerizing. The gameplay is simple but the experience very sublime, abstract and open to interpretation. One of the most unique gaming experiences I've experienced in a long time; it almost transcends gaming and becomes art. Really impressed by it.
post #368 of 528 Old 03-30-2012, 05:15 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe531 View Post

Just wrapped up Heavy Rain. I was definitely on the edge of my seat until the end. I hated the end.

My next game will be the God of War Origins collection. I have to have it since anything GoW are, in my opinion, the killer apps for the PS3.

Wich end? you know that Heavy Rain has like 20 endings
post #369 of 528 Old 04-01-2012, 07:48 AM

Yeah I know. I just... I dunno. I just didn't like how ridiculous the latter end of the game became. No so much the ending I suppose. Maybe another playthrough someday might change my mind.
post #370 of 528 Old 04-02-2012, 09:47 PM

Uncharted 1.
post #371 of 528 Old 09-20-2012, 12:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 185
September '12 Update

My backlog has been placed on indefinite hold because of all the time I'm putting into the best game released this gen:

Tekken Tag Tournament 2: I can't believe how incredible this fighter is:
  • The graphics are eons better than Tekken 6 (better textures, lighting, environment effects, etc).
  • There are up to 60 characters (with DLC) to choose for your 2v2 (or 1v2 or 1v1) team.
  • They came up with a ton of beautiful multi-tiered stages, with breakable walls, balconies and floors
  • The music is top notch
  • The pre-order DLC will be free(!) eventually for everyone who didn't pre-order
  • Six more characters and four more stages are coming out next month as DLC for free(!)
  • The practice mode has an AMAZING amount of options (like record feature, punishment confirmation, and more)
  • The game automatically records your fights, which you can permanently save for later viewing and analysis
  • The online netcode is being hailed by many gamers as being the best ever for fighting games....sooooo smooth
  • It has the World Tekken Federation mode, which is a free(!) service to track all your fight stats, (like how often you use every move and are juggled, etc.) and allows you and your friends to form online teams, tracks your win loss record, allows you to advance (or demote) up a ton of ranks, and a lot more
  • The juggle system is easily the deepest of any 3D fighter ever made.
  • So far, the character balance seems solid - any character is dangerous, and that means hundreds of quality teams can be formed.

I have spent two weeks playing this game non-stop; it is my favorite overall PS3 release so far.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

post #372 of 528 Old 09-20-2012, 05:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 49
Hmmm....I haven't played a Tekken game in years but that sounds very intriguing...

Too many systems and games....not enough time or money!

post #373 of 528 Old 09-20-2012, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I forgot to add that TTT2 also...

• Has over 50 CGI and hand animated endings for the characters
  • You can rank up in offline mode in Ghost Battles
  • There is a fully decked out customization mode to dress up your characters
  • Tekken Tunes! A wonderful feature that allows you to replace any music in the game (fighting stages, intro screen, chracter select, online lobby, etc.) with your own music
  • There is a Pair Play mode where you and a buddy (same console) can go up against opponents online or off with you each controlling your own character on the team
  • There is an option to practice online, with unlimited time and rounds so that you can train with your buddies.
  • Plus there is a Fight Lab mode which takes you through a ton of mini-games designed to teach newbies how the system works.

Never has a fighting game been packed with so much goodness, especially the bonus content for no extra charge (take note, Capcom!!!).

post #374 of 528 Old 09-20-2012, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 83
On any given night, I'm playing:

Madden 13
Borderlands 2
Battlefield 3
Final Fantasy 13
Skryim
Chrono Cross
Risen 2
Kingdoms of Amalur
Dragon's Dogma

And NBA 2K13 is waiting in the wings

Way too many games, too little time

"Where's the Imp???" "SHUTUP!!"

post #375 of 528 Old 09-20-2012, 04:28 PM
Advanced Member

Recently finished another bargain bin dive, including Mirror's Edge and Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Both very good.

Just finished the story in Sleeping Dogs, and now I'm going for the platinum trophy. Really enjoyable game, despite its quirks.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I also picked up Rocksmith last month, though I've been on a bit of a hiatus with it lately. Very different flavor from Pro Guitar on Rock Band 3, but also quite good. The song list is kind of lame, though.

- Jer
post #376 of 528 Old 09-20-2012, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Thanks Joe, forgot this thread was still running. It's fun to see what folks are playing.

I broke my "no new games while I have a backlog" rule and bought Dead Island last month. Working through it online co-op with a friend and havin' fun.

I recently finished the God of War Origins collection. Hard to believe these are PSP games, very well done. And knocks out a backlog game wink.gif

Next up is Tomb Raider Anniversary from the collection disc.

PSN: CrashLanding (please ID requests as AVS)
post #377 of 528 Old 09-20-2012, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

Never has a fighting game been packed with so much goodness, especially the bonus content for no extra charge (take note, Capcom!!!).
I was skeptical, but I've been hearing similar from others. I haven't been interested in Tekken for a long time. But now that Capcom's "return" to fighting games has been floundering and Arc System Works has been stuck in a holding pattern with BlazBlue, it's time for someone else to step up in the genre. Soul Cal 5 was surprisingly good, but had some big issues with basic features. Sounds like Tekken Tag Tournament 2 may be the fulfillment of the promise shown in SC5.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #378 of 528 Old 09-23-2012, 07:47 PM
Advanced Member

Recently completed:
Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker HD - An interesting departure from the other MGS games I've played; apart from the stealth and combat, there's a whole personnel-management side to the gameplay. The storyline's a great sequel to MGS 3, and if you're looking for a stealth game you can play in co-op mode, this is the game for you.

Batman: Arkham City - I wasn't a fan of all the Riddler trophies that required split-second timing, but overall it's a terrific open-world game with a strong story. I just hope they don't undo the ending of this game when they make the sequel.

(Some other games I played recently: Rock of Ages, Red Johnson's Chronicles, and Child of Eden. I wanted to try some different genres of games, but I don't think any of these are my cup of tea.)

Currently playing:
Borderlands 2 - I'm playing this co-op with a friend. A total blast.

Next up:
El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron
Mass Effect 3
post #379 of 528 Old 09-24-2012, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

MGS 3 and MGS PW are two games I really want to pick up and play. I've heard too many good things about them, and really enjoyed MGS 1 & 4 (hated #2).

post #380 of 528 Old 09-24-2012, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Finished up Darksiders 2 and the first 2 episodes of The Walking Dead. Really enjoyed both of these.

Just started playing Borderlands 1 since it was free from PS+. It's ok, the co-op is fun eventhough I've been playing with randoms.

The Weekend Warriors
post #381 of 528 Old 09-24-2012, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crippldogg View Post

the first 2 episodes of The Walking Dead. Really enjoyed both of these.
I'm surprised these aren't getting more attention around here and elsewhere. A huge step up for Telltale Games and the adventure game revival. Top-notch writing and voice work coupled with a great dialogue system and adaptive storytelling. This is everything that Heavy Rain and Mass Effect have tried to do with decisions that dynamically affect outcomes, but The Walking Dead does it so much better.

I worry that people think they know what they're getting with a Telltale game, but this is worlds beyond their prior episodic series. I've had some issues with its more "actiony" moments, but otherwise a superb experience that everyone should be playing.

post #382 of 528 Old 09-24-2012, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by crippldogg View Post

Finished up Darksiders 2 and the first 2 episodes of The Walking Dead. Really enjoyed both of these.
Just started playing Borderlands 1 since it was free from PS+. It's ok, the co-op is fun eventhough I've been playing with randoms.

I'm really enjoying Borderlands right now as a solo experience--much more than I expected to. It gets a bit repetitive, but as a compulsive looter, I still enjoy the "winning the lottery" feeling I get when I find an overpowered gun for my level that lets me dominate most enemies for awhile.

And as a Plus sub, it's almost killing me to not grab episode 3 of the Walking Dead while I patiently wait for it and the future episodes to be offered free as well--or at least at a significant bundle discount. I just won't fall for Sony's marketing tactic of giving us the first two episodes for free so we'll buy the remaining three at $5/ea as they release.
post #383 of 528 Old 09-24-2012, 07:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

I'm surprised these aren't getting more attention around here and elsewhere. A huge step up for Telltale Games and the adventure game revival. Top-notch writing and voice work coupled with a great dialogue system and adaptive storytelling. This is everything that Heavy Rain and Mass Effect have tried to do with decisions that dynamically affect outcomes, but The Walking Dead does it so much better.
I worry that people think they know what they're getting with a Telltale game, but this is worlds beyond their prior episodic series. I've had some issues with its more "actiony" moments, but otherwise a superb experience that everyone should be playing.

I initially wasn't interested in the games because I had found both the TV series and the comic book dull. After seeing the good reviews of the first couple episodes, I figured I'd try it once all five episodes were released. (The long intervals between episodes of Back to the Future interfered with my enjoyment of that game.) Apparently Telltale will be releasing all five episodes on disc on December 4th.
post #384 of 528 Old 09-24-2012, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post

And as a Plus sub, it's almost killing me to not grab episode 3 of the Walking Dead while I patiently wait for it and the future episodes to be offered free as well--or at least at a significant bundle discount. I just won't fall for Sony's marketing tactic of giving us the first two episodes for free so we'll buy the remaining three at $5/ea as they release.
Yet another reason I continue to hold off on subscribing to PS+. The value proposition is lost on me, and I don't like the idea that I'd be waiting around on the mere possibility that Sony might offer a particular game free. My gaming time is too valuable, so I'd rather just pay for games I really want to play when I want to play them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedSeattle View Post

I initially wasn't interested in the games because I had found both the TV series and the comic book dull. After seeing the good reviews of the first couple episodes, I figured I'd try it once all five episodes were released. (The long intervals between episodes of Back to the Future interfered with my enjoyment of that game.) Apparently Telltale will be releasing all five episodes on disc on December 4th.
I read a hefty chunk of the comics (through issue #80 or so) and enjoyed them alright, but I didn't feel the need to continue reading them. Never watched the TV show. But the games are something special. It's the first time I've truly felt even a modicum of genuine emotional attachment to video game characters. It's definitely got some mechanical issues here and there, but the experience shines through.

post #385 of 528 Old 09-25-2012, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
I played some Tekken Tag 2 yesterday. I wanted to try it because I liked the way Tekken characters played in SFxT, even though that game is miserable. I haven't played a 3D fighting game since... probably TTT1 and DOA2X way back around PS2 launch. Are there any good reading sites for noobs? And I don't mean "surf this forum full of hardcore gamers talking about the game" like I heard people saying about P4A/Dustloop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

I was skeptical, but I've been hearing similar from others. I haven't been interested in Tekken for a long time. But now that Capcom's "return" to fighting games has been floundering and Arc System Works has been stuck in a holding pattern with BlazBlue, it's time for someone else to step up in the genre. Soul Cal 5 was surprisingly good, but had some big issues with basic features. Sounds like Tekken Tag Tournament 2 may be the fulfillment of the promise shown in SC5.

ASW is not in a holding pattern with BlazBlue. Persona 4 Arena just came out and it is superb.
post #386 of 528 Old 09-25-2012, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Avoiding the Puddle:
They not only have an EXCELLENT 5-part tutorial series to read through on all of the TTT2 mechanics, but it is frequently updated with 2-5 minute you-tube clips to explain intermediate and advanced techniques that even some top tier players might not be aware of. It's also one of the best sites to review TTT2 frame data once you are ready to take on this hugely important aspect of fighting game strategy planning.

Level Up Your Game:
These guys put together the most fan-friendly fighting game show on the 'net, and it all focused on Tekken. If you want a visual collection of Tekken's basic and intermediate mechanics, as well as some cool Tekken 6 character highlight videos (a lot of that stuff works in TTT2), then make sure to go through their archive.

Tekken Zaibatsu forums:
This is the premiere forum for discussing all things Tekken related. It can feel a bit dry to newbies I'm guessing because so many experienced players dominate what are often deep, nuanced discussions about the game.

However there is a main thread for beginners where you can ask about anything basic, and the character forums usually have a Q & A thread for more specific inquiries. I also recommend that you browse through the Tekken 6 sub-forum at this site for character specific information that likely applies to TTT2.

Newcomers to TZ shouldn't be offended if a thread they create gets closed; the mods don't like it much if the topic could have fit in an existing thread, or if the topic has no substance as it relates to the game (i.e. "Do you think Jin looks better with his shirt off or on?"). It's all pretty hardcore, but there are a bunch of people who like to help as well.

Lastly, feel free to ask me any Tekken related questions in our own TTT2 thread. I'm pretty comfortable with the entire system already and also know a bit about a lot of the characters. I'll end this with a link to a cool combo video that shows off this game's elaborate juggle system:

post #387 of 528 Old 09-25-2012, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the links, joe. SC5 was the first 3D fighter I've gotten into in a long time (the original VF5 console release was the last). Still debating whether to get TTT2 or the new PSN version of VF5. I'd rather play VF5, but I'm sure the online population for TTT2 is much higher. Any idea if folks are still playing VF5 online?
Quote:
Originally Posted by number1laing View Post

ASW is not in a holding pattern with BlazBlue. Persona 4 Arena just came out and it is superb.
Tomayto, tomahto. I've got all three BB releases, but have yet to bother with P4A. Maybe it's me who's in the "holding pattern." biggrin.gif

Also, do we have word yet on whether that last Guilty Gear release is getting released on PSN/XBLA outside of Japan next month? Info seems a bit fuzzy.

post #388 of 528 Old 08-11-2013, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

*** August 2013 Update ***

looking back on my last entry, I've made some great progress in clearing out my backlog as we head towards the PS4 release. Guacamelee, inFamous 2, Heavy Rain, Ico, and the God of War: Origins Collection can now be mentioned in the past tense. My current rotation:

Tekken Revolution: I'm actually taking a short break from this FTP version of my favorite fighter franchise. I've leveled up to the highest rank and near highest XP level for maximum skill point allocation, so I decided to plow through more backlog until Namco bumps up the cap again. Several hundred hours of play time so far is plenty. tongue.gif

Dragon's Crown: This game is EPIC! Anyone who has a fond memory of old school brawler games - especially Guardian Heroes or the arcade Dungeon's and Dragon releases - owes it to themselves to buy this instant classic right away. It is soooooooooo good.

Pinball Arcade - This game is always on my rotation for a quick romp here and there. Currently trying to top my Dr. Dude high score and move further up the leaderboards.

Metal Gear Solid 3 HD - I never played this one after being disappointed by MGS2 back in the day. Heard a lot of good things about it though so here I am (about four hours in). Not too bad so far, but I have to be ready to sit through some cut scenes before I turn it on again. I forgot about that in Kojima games.

post #389 of 528 Old 08-11-2013, 09:56 AM
Advanced Member

Currently working through:

Dragon's Crown: Gorgeous hand-painted 2D art, great old-school 2D brawler gameplay, and a rich action-RPG loot/stat/skill system. Arbitrary local/online/AI multiplayer for up to 4 characters, though online only becomes available a few hours into the game, and there's no voice chat. Really enjoying this one.

Dynasty Warriors 8: I thought I was done with this series after they dropped physical discs and English voice acting for the incremental DW7 releases, but Koei reversed course and brought those features back for DW8. This game builds on DW7's strong base with several new characters, unique move sets and weapons for every character, and a three-point weapon affinity system that puts your weapon at a preset advantage or disadvantage against other weapons, which gets interesting when you're confronted by multiple officers at once that have different affinities. Also has branching story paths, including hypothetical scenarios for each kingdom. Definitely the best mainline DW game since DW5.

Shadows Of The Damned: Picked this up because confidenceman was raving about it, and I've found some of Suda51's other games interesting. It's enjoyable and has some unique mechanics, but it's jam-packed with crass double entendres to the point where I find myself tuning out.

Aliens: Colonial Marines: Shelved this after the third level and haven't put it back in yet. Not sure if I will. Serviceable, but uninspired. Definitely the most lackluster Aliens FPS I've played, and that includes 2010's yawner Aliens vs. Predator.

- Jer
post #390 of 528 Old 08-11-2013, 04:09 PM
Advanced Member

Recently completed:
Killzone 3 -- Tried this with the Sharpshooter, but even after ten hours, I was better with the Dualshock.
Borderlands 2 DLC: Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon's Keep -- By far the best DLC pack; just as funny as Torgue, plus an actual story.
The Last of Us -- Just as everyone has said, a truly great game.

Currently playing:
Thomas was Alone -- Charming, but has a really inconsistent difficulty curve.

Up next:
Dishonored DLC - Knife of Dunwall & The Brigmore Witches
Far Cry 3
Max Payne 3
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page