Here's what I typically do with UPS (haven't had a fedex package that wasn't just dropped off):
- Get home from work, there's a slip on the door.
- Call the phone number on the back, give the delivery number on the slip to the automated voice. (not the same as the tracking number)
- Tell the automated voice to hold for pickup
- Wait 10-15 mins, get a call from real person, who says "it's available at the warehouse"
- Drive 10 mins to warehouse, pick up item.
Note that you have to make the call before 6 or thereabouts or else it won't be available for pick up until the following day.
At least that's how it works for me with UPS.