Cool PS3 programs? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 24 Old 06-19-2008, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is there a website that has any cool 3rd party apps worth installing on the PS3?

Does someone have anything they can recommend? It would be cool to see what kind of stuff can be done with the hardware since it is advertised as being very versatile. Many people have already used it as a media server, but i'm sure there's more that can be done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 06-19-2008, 03:13 PM

I don't know about applications, but you could maybe trying gaming with it. There are a few decent games out there.

One quick question, why would you buy a $500 brick?
post #3 of 24 Old 06-19-2008, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Not sure how anyone at AVS could say that their PS3 is a 'brick' unless it has failed. Between BD movies and gaming, it is the most used piece of harware in my HT. Don't have any ideas for 'apps' but it isn't the greatest as an HTPC - it works for some applications but it isn't a computer...
post #4 of 24 Old 06-19-2008, 04:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanmotorsport View Post

Is there a website that has any cool 3rd party apps worth installing on the PS3?

Does someone have anything they can recommend? I'm getting kinda bored with my expensive 500$ brick

3rd party apps?

I don't think so....

What do you want to do with it?

It is quite the A/V powerhouse, plays almost every disk you put in it. It surfs the web. Plays a variety of common A/V files, including DIVX. Ohh and uhh as someone mentioned, it plays games. The biggest library for a console in fact (Consider PS1, PS2, PS3 and PSN games).

Did you know it could do these things?

From your comments, it seems like you may be unaware of it.

If you find the console to be lacking in apps, perhaps you should build a HTPC. That'll probably cost you more than $500 though. Especially if you want Blu-Ray.
post #5 of 24 Old 06-19-2008, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I smell a troll..
post #6 of 24 Old 06-19-2008, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post

I smell a troll..

or a pirate or both.
post #7 of 24 Old 06-19-2008, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I smell a troll..

My thoughts exactly.

You just paid $500 and you're basically flaming yourself for buying a "brick"?? Huh?
post #8 of 24 Old 06-19-2008, 06:39 PM

Did he know he can also download Photos and musics files, maybe he is till trying to master the Pac-Man game.....
post #9 of 24 Old 06-19-2008, 06:39 PM

Linux
post #10 of 24 Old 06-19-2008, 07:08 PM

I think it's a valid question.
post #11 of 24 Old 06-19-2008, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Maybe he means cool programs to work with the ps3? Like conversion programs and whatnot? Dunno but Im reaching for the guy

"Damn, you can't get black levels like that on your projector!"
- My brother, just before he realized his LED display had died.

Link to my Basement build
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1529034/conspiracy-basement-build
post #12 of 24 Old 06-19-2008, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Yellow Dog Linux.

PS Network: HZR
Xbox 360 Tag: HZR Nam 75
Wii Connect: 7793 3308 1436 9373

I support cycle commuting.
post #13 of 24 Old 06-19-2008, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

yea, linux will let you put thousands of cool apps on it.
post #14 of 24 Old 06-19-2008, 09:46 PM

I thought it could play divx files....how come when I go to a website its says not a playable format?
post #15 of 24 Old 06-20-2008, 05:42 AM

There are plenty of nice apps that the system could use without requiring people to use Linux. I think it's a fair question.

My most desired:

- a useful music player, perhaps iTunes integration. Apple is all over MGS4, wish they had done a Snake iPod kit with a PS3 verision of iTunes. Well, no I don't because I'd probably be out $400! Regardless, I hate the music management (none) on the system now. I don't want to stream all the time.

- A better browser. If Sony doesn't want to take the time, then let Mozilla or someone develop a better one to run on the PS3 OS.

- A better chat program.

I mean there are tons of things. I love my PS3 so this isn't a slam, just some things that I don't think they have time for that other people would probably do essentially for free. Although we do often hear that these things will all be upgraded substantially with Home.

PSN: brick1972
post #16 of 24 Old 06-20-2008, 07:40 AM

I think this is a interesting question. While via media server my ps3 does what I need it to do well...i've always wondered why sony doesn't let third party apps be developed for the ps3/psp platforms. MY psp would be an ideal portable all in one if it just had a email client, word processing, ect, like the iphone/ipod touch. I'm dot interested in messing with the system with homebrew either.
post #17 of 24 Old 06-20-2008, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by boa1 View Post

I think this is a interesting question. While via media server my ps3 does what I need it to do well...i've always wondered why sony doesn't let third party apps be developed for the ps3/psp platforms. MY psp would be an ideal portable all in one if it just had a email client, word processing, ect, like the iphone/ipod touch. I'm dot interested in messing with the system with homebrew either.

With PS3, you can develop third party programs. You just need to install Linux on the system. It comes with a CELL compiler. As for the PSP... I can't imagine using an email client or word processor without a keypad or touch screen. There have been rumors of a PSP phone for a while now, so who knows you might get your wish.
post #18 of 24 Old 06-21-2008, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I smell a troll..

better have your nose checked buddy boy...this generation i've gone thru: xbox360 and ps3. I still have from previous generations (most of which are still hooked up in the house) : dreamcast, ps2 (getting rid of this since i have a ps3 now), original xbox (sold obviously), genesis with 32X, SNES, NES, and a Game Gear somewhere.

Unlike most fanboys (most of which reside on IGN...so i'm surprised to be called a troll on a forum like AVS which has a much more mature member base), i'm fully aware of the fact that there is just about no way to get a full gaming experience these days without owning at least two consoles. Some games go to PS3 some got to Xbox and some go to Wii. If you can afford all 3, great, only 2? also fine. If you can only afford 1? No one's going to hate on you, but by the same token you shouldn't hate on other consoles. Agreed?

-----------------------------------

As for the other folks who have offered some suggestions I thank you:

- media server would be interesting. i have a metric f-ton of media on my macs that i would love to stream to the PS3. Looking into tversity for this, but i'm having trouble having it setup.

smastroying: i think you hit the issue right on its nose, logitech sells an awsome minikeyboard/mouse which is wireless and designed for PS3 functionality in mind, but without some good chat software (msn or AIM anyone?) and a good browser, it just feels so handicapped.

Folding@home is pretty neat, but not an interactive program by any means. The PS3 is a real powerhouse that as time goes on could become a really great gadget to play around with (moreso than it is now as a blu-ray and game player).

I'm not really unhappy with my PS3, but given the tremendous capabilities of the system and it being touted before it launched as the "ubergameconsoletheatercenterpiece extraordinaire", i'm just a little surprised and some of the stuff that was left out or that made final production systems. Maybe i'm just bitter that i have a Mac and not everything jives when trying to sync mac's and ps3's

The linux idea is also pretty good, but it just doesn't seem worth it, from the searching i've done so far, everyone says it just runs cripplingly slow.
post #19 of 24 Old 06-21-2008, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHunt13 View Post

Did he know he can also download Photos and musics files, maybe he is till trying to master the Pac-Man game.....

yep..the 80GB one does have the card ports for cards from digital cameras...seems like a good way to show off vacation pics

i didn't even know there was a pacman game! i love those little arcade timewasters (xbox live was full of em).

does the PS3 also let you play xvid or other stuff?
post #20 of 24 Old 06-21-2008, 10:15 AM

Liked: 11
yes it plays xvid and divx.

itd be so awesome if someone hacked the PS3 so we could run custom firmware like for the PSP
post #21 of 24 Old 06-21-2008, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

i have a Mac

My mom works for Sony, and she brought home a copy of "Starhawk BETA"
I quickly slipped it into my trusty PS3, and started playing.

GOOZEX Game/Movie Exchange
post #22 of 24 Old 06-21-2008, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanmotorsport View Post

better have your nose checked buddy boy...this generation i've gone thru: xbox360 and ps3. I still have from previous generations (most of which are still hooked up in the house) : dreamcast, ps2 (getting rid of this since i have a ps3 now), original xbox (sold obviously), genesis with 32X, SNES, NES, and a Game Gear somewhere.

Unlike most fanboys (most of which reside on IGN...so i'm surprised to be called a troll on a forum like AVS which has a much more mature member base), i'm fully aware of the fact that there is just about no way to get a full gaming experience these days without owning at least two consoles. Some games go to PS3 some got to Xbox and some go to Wii. If you can afford all 3, great, only 2? also fine. If you can only afford 1? No one's going to hate on you, but by the same token you shouldn't hate on other consoles. Agreed?

-----------------------------------

As for the other folks who have offered some suggestions I thank you:

- media server would be interesting. i have a metric f-ton of media on my macs that i would love to stream to the PS3. Looking into tversity for this, but i'm having trouble having it setup.

smastroying: i think you hit the issue right on its nose, logitech sells an awsome minikeyboard/mouse which is wireless and designed for PS3 functionality in mind, but without some good chat software (msn or AIM anyone?) and a good browser, it just feels so handicapped.

Folding@home is pretty neat, but not an interactive program by any means. The PS3 is a real powerhouse that as time goes on could become a really great gadget to play around with (moreso than it is now as a blu-ray and game player).

I'm not really unhappy with my PS3, but given the tremendous capabilities of the system and it being touted before it launched as the "ubergameconsoletheatercenterpiece extraordinaire", i'm just a little surprised and some of the stuff that was left out or that made final production systems. Maybe i'm just bitter that i have a Mac and not everything jives when trying to sync mac's and ps3's

The linux idea is also pretty good, but it just doesn't seem worth it, from the searching i've done so far, everyone says it just runs cripplingly slow.

Your question is valid, however the way you asked it was very coarse and obviously not going to get you many positive responses. You talk about mature, but the way you presented your question was anything but mature. First off the question itself is unclear, and every one knows there are no third party apps unless you run Linux. Being that there are no third party apps, and you go on to ask if there are good ones at that threw many off. And finally you end your post claiming the PS3 is a $500 brick, in a PS3 forum of all places. So I can see why many saw your post as "trollish".

Now to answer your "question". No. I'm pretty sure allowing third party apps to run would open up doors to homebrewers and hackers and Sony is doing everthing they can to prevent that. And also I don't think there wouldn't be any financial benefits for developers making apps so you wll only get sub par applications with limited support. The only answer for now is for Sony to improve the XMB to allow for better media organiztion and control as well as improve the web browser. Do I like the idea of third partyapps? YES. DoI think it will happen any time soon? NO.

P.S. I heard bricks make good troll food. J/K

"You went full ******, man. Never go full ******."
om [NOM] nom
post #23 of 24 Old 06-21-2008, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

^ fair enuff...i'll edit the initial post so that it's more clear.

also..the main staple of trolls is hearsay, rumors and occasionally the blood of children born on the harvest moon
post #24 of 24 Old 06-21-2008, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 62
i burned an avi file to a cd and the ps3 wouldn't play it. wtf? i thought it could play xvid and divx.

500 gigs FTW.
Reply PlayStation Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page