KA-POW!!! DC Universe Online for free on the PS3 and PS4 - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 394 Old 07-17-2008, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
In that interview my main question would have been, "How is this game going to be different than City Of Heroes/City Of Villains?". I played that game for a bit and loved it, it just got too repetitive after awhile.

-Lee
PSN ID: AlphaShepherd
XBL: AlphaShepherd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 394 Old 07-18-2008, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aletuner View Post

In that interview my main question would have been, "How is this game going to be different than City Of Heroes/City Of Villains?". I played that game for a bit and loved it, it just got too repetitive after awhile.

New article on Kotaku posted today.

http://kotaku.com/5026797/dc-univers...ening-the-door

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotaku View Post

They've got decades of history, beloved characters, infamous villains and settings that some fans no so well they practically live there, but what sets DC Universe Online apart from other superhero MMO games?

The main difference between DCUO and a game like City of Heroes is that you don't slowly earn your powers. If your character has super speed, they are super fast, period. You don't have to level up to gain your speed boost...the Flash didn't have to ding in order to go from 60 to 70 MPH. You have the power you choose, and it's up to you to learn to use it. An example Chris presented was a character with super speed being able to run up a wall, taking them out of range of enemy attacks. You can do this right from the start, as long as you have the skills to pull it off.

They cover more in the article.

Here's some new pics as well:

I'll post more...fire alarm at work just went off.

EDIT:
Here's the rest on Kotaku.

post #33 of 394 Old 07-18-2008, 03:20 PM

Liked: 832
not really digging the joker. Compared to the rest, his look just doesn't fit.
post #34 of 394 Old 07-18-2008, 03:31 PM

I know I'm still on a Dark Knight high, but I hope the transportation in this game is somewhere near as ridiculous as the recent batman movies haha.

Tumbler anyone?
post #35 of 394 Old 07-18-2008, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 186
ppshooky: I take it your job didn't burn down . Thanks for the update.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

post #36 of 394 Old 07-21-2008, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

ppshooky: I take it your job didn't burn down . Thanks for the update.

Yes, (un?)fortunately it appeared to be a false alarm.
post #37 of 394 Old 07-21-2008, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the update and link! That method of learning to use your powers sounds very intriguing. I know one of the main drawbacks to CoH was repeating the same style of mission over and over and over just so you could unlock more powers (level up). This sounds like it is definitely worth checking out. I wonder how many different powers there will be to choose from and how different you can be from others in the game?

-Lee
PSN ID: AlphaShepherd
XBL: AlphaShepherd
post #38 of 394 Old 07-21-2008, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Agreed.

It sounds like this game is going to rely on the player's ability to experiment, learn, and master "combos" (if you could call it that) to master your character. More like a fighting game then an RPG.
post #39 of 394 Old 07-22-2008, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Nice production video showing off more of the concepts and in-game action.

post #40 of 394 Old 07-23-2008, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, I hope there's more costume variety than those 4 guys attacking Superman.
post #41 of 394 Old 07-23-2008, 07:47 AM

Liked: 12
This sounds like a really cool game. I can just imagine the online play. How the villains can gain notoriety....even become cartel bosses. I guess we'll see clans\\cartels in this game.
post #42 of 394 Old 07-23-2008, 08:27 AM

dang! supes is blowing that armoredcar up. this game looks promising.. esp. with the great jim lee doing the art

and of course, anything with Batman in it is on top of my list
post #43 of 394 Old 07-23-2008, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
So I never played MMO. Blame me.

So in this game you would make your superhero and fight the DC superheros and villains that are AI controlled. How do the other real players come into the pic? Do they all gang up and fight the AI? Is there fights between human players?
post #44 of 394 Old 07-23-2008, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cucuy View Post

So I never played MMO. Blame me.

So in this game you would make your superhero and fight the DC superheros and villains that are AI controlled. How do the other real players come into the pic? Do they all gang up and fight the AI? Is there fights between human players?

Superhero or Supervillain. Your choice on that.

There is supposed to be a PvP element to it, I believe. Also, you can form guilds and parties to do missions/quests that may or may not involve DC heroes and villains. Depending on the mission, you work with them or you fight them.
post #45 of 394 Old 07-23-2008, 01:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 26
My character is going to look like Christian Bale and his power will be to throw his immediate family members at people.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #46 of 394 Old 07-23-2008, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

My character is going to look like Christian Bale and his power will be to throw his immediate family members at people.

LMAO!!

PSN: Zetram00
MGO: Tez $$
post #47 of 394 Old 07-24-2008, 01:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Hands on report of the game play:

Quote:

For DC fanboys, it seems like forever ago that prolific comic book artist Jim Lee announced that he'd be stepping in to help guide a Sony Online Entertainment MMO based on the DC Universe. In the two and a half years since the announcement, Jason Todd returned from the dead, Marvel announced a similar MMO project, Batman discovered he had a son, Marvel cancelled its MMO project, and The Dark Knight made a batmobile-load of cash -- but no one ever played DC Universe Online.

At least, no one ever played it until today.

As far as first impressions on a crowed show floor go, DCUO seems to have a lot going for it. In the final version of the title, you'll choose whether you want to be a hero or a villain and build the character from scratch -- powers, capes, etc. -- and unleash the creation on an online world of similar good guys and bad guys created by other players. For the purposes of its San Diego Comic-Con debut, DCUO limited players to a few pre-created heroes and the abilities that each had but let them play eachother. My play session had me behind the controls of an energy-wielding lady and earth-flinging speedster.

Each character will have a base from which his or her abilities spring from -- hence why I pointed out the woman was using energy powers and the dude was earth-based. Each character will have the standard light/heavy attacks, jump, ability to weaponize the environment, block, and lock-on, but when you combine the face buttons of your PS3 controller with R2 (or the keyboard and mouse for the PC folks in the audience), you get character-specific attacks based on those abilities.

When my time in Metropolis began, a Justice League of America communicator popped up on the left side of the screen and a video message from Superman played. Seemed Brainiac was attacking the city -- giant, floating green fortresses could be seen along the skyline -- and some of the citizens had fallen under the evil AI's control. I had to get to street level and save the people. My first crack at the mission started me as Light Stream, the blonde femme fatale whose powers sprung from energy. Operating like most third-person action games, to get Light Stream from the starting park to the battle came down to moving her with the left stick and rotating the camera with the right. However -- unlike most third-person action games -- I could press L3 and toggle flight on. Once she was in the air, I could easily glide the heroine to the fights happening on the street and unleash her specific attacks.

See, the people Brainiac has overtaken need to be beaten into submission and then you have to remove the infecting nanomachines. To do this, I made use of Light Stream's super-square attack that created a buzzsaw out of energy to slash opponents with, her super-triangle move encased baddies in a energy orb that could be thrown at other foes, and her standard light/heavy attacks hurled energy orbs at anyone in her path. The infected citizens -- who looked almost zombie-ish with vacant eyes and gray flesh -- fired rainbow rays from the Brainiac triangles on the center of their foreheads, but the moves were little trouble for the world's newest superheroine. When the citizens went down from the power moves, I had to tap circle to get Light Stream to remove the nanomachines and save the day.

Although this was a pre-alpha build of DCUO, the HUD operates like I bet you would expect it to. Your character's picture, life bar, and super-move juice is displayed in the upper-left corner, and the HUD of any enemy you engage pops up next to it. Moves whittle down the green health portion of whoever is getting hit and using super-moves drains the blue meter. On top of monitoring your blue meter, once you use a super-move (remember, these are the R2 and face button combos), you'll have to wait a second for that move's icon to refill with color before you try to use it again. We're assuming the rate at which you recover your moves will change depending on what level your character is at -- which is displayed next to your hero/villain's name.

At the bottom of the screen is a long bar that slowly fills as you complete objectives and pound on foes. It's an experience meter that is building towards one of your character's abilities -- defense, health, etc. The game cycles through the attributes in order so that you level up in a smart-growth type of way, but you can say to hell with that and choose what aspect of your friend-in-tights you're augmenting.

All this was cool, but the neatest thing DCUO has going for it was how awesome it is to be battle alongside Superman and company. After I dispatched a few of Brainiac's minions, Superman and Lex Luthor brawled into frame. I jumped in and gave chrome dome a few shots while Supes shot around the screen and his cape danced in the wind. Still, my lack of experience got the best of me and Lex knocked Light Stream out -- a "KO" icon pulled from a comic book pops up when you fall. When I got knocked on my kisser in the game, I had the choice of waiting a bit and respawning from where I fell or immediately jumping back into the game but starting at the park.

I chose to quit, take Jim Lee's advice, and try out the speedster.

Named Rock Solid and decked out in black and gold, the speedster was just about everything I could want in a low-level superhero. Clicking L3 put the dude into super-speed mode so that he could scoot around Metropolis with a wicked speed effect at his feet, run up the sides of buildings, and get away from foes, but being earth-based gave him some more nifty powers. One stun move -- similar to Light Stream's encasing energy ball and Superman's freeze breath -- had Rock Solid cause the spikes to shoot from the soil and pin an enemy in place so the good guys could get their shots in. Another had him create a brick on the end of his bow staff that could be slammed into opponents, and a third flung chunks of ground at bad guys from afar.

Although there was a lock-on button, I found the option a bit difficult to use -- same with the ability to pick up environmental objects such as cars and streetlights and use them as weapons. I could grab them just fine, but effectively making contact with them was another story. Still, this is pre-alpha and the game shines in other parts.

One of those parts just happens to be how it looks. I've already talked about Superman's cape movements, but as I watched Bizarro and Supergirl duke it out in front of a café, it was pretty cool to see the smashed cars, rubble in the streets, and random fires that cropped up around them. The city itself looked polished, there were a bunch of different cars and the storefronts with minimal repetition.

As I ran around the city, I'd run into other characters and events. When you see someone on the screen, an icon will appear next to them. A green shield means you need to defend them (like when Superman needs backup with Luthor), a red and yellow impact symbol means you need to knock them out (like an infected citizen), and a set of gears means you can interact with that person or object (like removing the nanomachines). When I turned a corner as Rock Solid, I came across all three of these symbols in a completely new scenario -- a cop was trying to ward off a thug who was coming after a bag of cash. I protected the cop from the initial attack, took out the thug, and collected the money bag. A SOE rep watching me said that with missions like this, it'll be up to you to decide which events you tackle first. If you choose one thing, you might not have time for another -- maybe you'll need to bring in teammates to help.

In the grand scheme of DC Universe Online's journey to retail and the amount of content normally packed into an MMO, today's play session was barely the tip of the iceberg. From what I've seen, I'm excited to get my hands on this down the road and see where it stands. I want to make my own hero, I want to choose my reactive defenses (moves you automatically pull off when you're attacked such as regeneration or dodge), and I want to help Superman save the day.

No one's willing to talk about when this title will be released, so there's probably still a long wait in front of us. That said, fellow DC fanboys, there's reason to have hope.

post #48 of 394 Old 07-24-2008, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Interview with Jim Lee by Kotaku up.

http://kotaku.com/5028451/jim-lee-di...niverse-online

For those who can't click the link:
Quote:

Sony Online Entertainment treated members of the press to a luncheon earlier today, part of the Comic-Con 08 push for DC Universe Online. The massively-multiplayer online action RPG, coming to both the PlayStation 3 and PC platforms, will be playable by the public for the first time tonight. We'll be going hands-on with the title this evening, taking part in an in-game Brainiac themed live event with other DC heroes.

We sat down with DC Comics executive creator Jim Lee earlier today to talk about the SOE-developed, DC-branded game. Lee told me that he was the one who had approached SOE after catching wind of the project, an effort which had experienced multiple starts and stops.

As a fairly serious EverQuest player — Lee played Paladin, for the record — the artist turned exec knew his stuff. He dropped MMO-isms (LFG, instances, the grind) like it was his natural language, and with a working knowledge of the DC universe, fans of the genre and the brand should feel confident that it's creatively in good hands.

Players will be given the option of creating a good or evil character in DCUO, each with a possible dozen unique characteristics, such as power type (ice, fire, mental, sonic), power source (ring, elemental), and movement type (flying, speed). Given Lee's background as a serious MMO player, I had to ask what he was planning on playing in DC Universe Online when it shipped.

"I haven't decided," he said. "I'll probably have one public character and one private character — a villain."

I asked Jim if he was partial to any particular DC mainstays, if he'd lobbied for the inclusion of anyone in particular.

"I kind of have to be impartial," he said, noting that it was more important to ensure that DC's classic characters and classic designs were integrated accurately into the massive multiplayer world.

Sadly, that doesn't include some of the more off-kilter characters, non-humanoids like Krypto the Super Dog, Bat-Mite or various multi-limbed things from the Green Lantern Corps. They may appear in the game in some form, but if you're looking to create a super monkey that can ally with the Superman family or even Gorilla Grodd, you might have to wait for the expansion.

One surprise that Lee mentioned is that alter-egos will play a role in the game. You may have to spend some time as a lowly photographer, for example, one who walks among the regular citizens, preserving your secret identity. "We have to have it be meaningful," Lee said of superhero alter-egos. This aspect of the gameplay, Lee hinted, may address the dreaded "grind", something he says players won't spend much time worrying about.

As far as the look of the game, for which Lee is largely responsible, we learned that some characters that we've already seen are undergoing visual refinements. "The Joker is one character I wanted to tweak," he said, noting that the Heath Ledger/Christopher Nolan take on the Joker from The Dark Knight may have been part of the catalyst for the change. Part of the reason for the change, however, was that the current model of the Joker simply didn't fit with the rest of the game's non-playable DC heroes and villains.

We'll be going hands-on with the game soon and will report our impressions of DC Universe Online later this week.

post #49 of 394 Old 07-24-2008, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

OK, so Jim Lee has heard TyrantII's complaint and will make a change to the Joker's look. The powah of teh internets!

post #50 of 394 Old 07-24-2008, 09:20 AM

Liked: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

OK, so Jim Lee has heard TyrantII's complaint and will make a change to the Joker's look. The powah of teh internets!

Ka-Pow!

Seriously though, It would be fine if the others were just as exaggerated. But for the most part, every other villain / hero maintains a pretty human look to them. Just look at how off it looks with him standing next to Harley Quinn..

The current joker has these weird proportions and cartoony influence. They need to tone down the exaggerations, such as the horribly skinny body, and gigantic face. I love the art style, but they need to make them all along those lines, or fix it.

Give him a messed up mouth, a slender stature, and a giant smile, but comparatively to the other characters.
post #51 of 394 Old 07-24-2008, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

This looks fairly decent. From my understanding you play as the hero's partner. I'ld rather play as the superhero but it's a nice spin to be as the superheroes sidekick.

Onkyo 605 / Paradigm Titan / Paradigm CC Center / Paradigm ADP rear / HSU STF-1 / HD-A2 / 40gbPS3 / 360elite / Wii / PC
I hate fanboys..
anti-GT5:P-er ;)
eurokult.com
post #52 of 394 Old 07-24-2008, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

I can't wait to play this, but the Dark Knight hysteria will make for some interesting adventures:

Superguy42: *Broadcast* Hay how do you get the Dark knight quest
IncredibleBulk: quit broadcasting nub
katwoman69: You have to go see Ra's Al Ghul at the top of WayneTech building
Superguy42: But I can't fly
ActionSamuelLJackson: lol, just get a mystic to TP you up there
IncredibleBulk: Just superjump or use you're transport power, noob
katwoman69: what's your transport power?
Superguy42: Super Speed
ActionSamuelLJackson: haha, just run up the side of the building, dummy
Jonah Flex: Yo, that quest is broken
IncredibleBulk: LIES
Superguy42: Ra's isn't doing anything, plees help me, I need this quest to get my new mask for a raid
Jonah Flex: I told you it was broken, the devs said so on AVSforum
IncredibleBulk: You have to say the keyword when you talk to him, it's Lazaris Pit
Superguy42: didn't wok
ActionSamuelLJackson: you spelled "Lazarus" wrong, dummy
IncredibleBulk: shut up
Jonah Flex: I'm pretty sure it's broken
Superguy42:
Superguy42: Incrediblebluk PVP'd me!!
IncredibleBulk :PWNED, lol

Superguy42 has logged off

Rinse, repeat.

Note that in real time that would take roughly two hours.
post #53 of 394 Old 07-25-2008, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

New details revealed in a Q&A session:

Quote:

If you're at all confused as to what Jim Lee does in connection with DC Universe Online, he describes himself as the eyes and ears of DC -- as people create art, gameplay elements, and more, he signs off on the product to finalize it becoming part of the game.

It's a game he hopes you'll find "addictive as hell."

Six folks behind the PC/PlayStation 3, comic book MMO -- including Creative Director Chris Cao -- joined Lee as part of a DC Universe Online panel at the San Diego Comic-Con this afternoon. The team did its best to bring any noobs in the audience up to speed on what the upcoming Sony Online Entertainment title is bringing to the online 'scape; namely, that players will create a hero and villain and then set out in an online world to make their legacy.

If you've been following IGN's extensive DCUO coverage --or just caught IGN's interview with Lee and/or my Comic-Con hands-on -- there wasn't much in the introduction that we didn't know, but the audience question-and-answer had a few juicy tidbits.

What went down at the Q&A? Let's take a look …

* MMOs get repetitive, how will DCUO buck that trend? Cao says the number of characters means that you won't be doing the same thing over and over -- there are a lot of stories to tell. Plus, there's that rockin' action-oriented combat.

* A guy mentioned that City of Heroes is out. What is going to make people jump to this game? Cao says they've created a different experience. It's an MMO, but it's an action game. You don't have to wait until you level up to get some power; you'll get super-speed or whatever right away. There's no dice rolling -- you'll go out and fight in real-time, action game bravado.

* Can you make a group like the Krypton Force or Green Lantern Corps? Cao says yes -- making legions and leagues will be a big deal.

* Will there be a subscription fee? Cao says they're working on it -- right now, they're just showing the game. Details will follow at a later date.

* Frank Miller's Dark Knight Returns Batman probably won't be in the game. They're going to stick with the version of the DC Universe we all have in our heads. They'll maybe tie into the current comic book events, but it'll be impossible to keep up with every change. "At launch, this game will be the purest form of the DC Universe," Lee said.

* What will keep people in the game? Cao says it's the same question of what happens when the hero/villain when they finish their story. From there, you go out to save/rule the world. Keep it safe/dominate it. Once you've finished the PVE elements, tackle the PVP elements.

* A fan said that the problem with City of Heroes is the fact that you're limited once you choose your power set (choose to be super-strong, you have to pick super-strong powers), how does that work here? Tactics will change whether you're with a group or on your own. SOE's making sure that you can get in and play when you want to.

* The controls are basic so that everything is right there. They want you to get to the super-powers as soon as you can.

* Loot works just like you'd expect in an MMO. This game is going to have stuff that makes you more powerful -- however you'll be able to mod it. If you get some Thanagarian armor with feathers on the shoulders, you can remove the feathers to keep your character stylin'.

* Can you be a Green Lantern? In order to do the corps justice, they can't have that as an option. You can have a power ring, but you can't have a GL one. They want to wait until they can do that element justice -- then, maybe, you'll have rings out there choosing their bearers.

* You're going to have individual stories where you're topping a bank robbery, but there's also world events where you'll need to battle with other players.

* Secret identity stories confirmed.

* How will you keep someone from making a Marvel-looking dude? Cao says there's something specific about the big name characters, and chances are you won't have the options in the game to create those big names -- i.e. you won't be able to put a big star on a red, white and blue shield.

* Costume options are influenced by era (golden, silver, modern) and power sets.

* Some Guy: Jim Lee, thank you for getting my girlfriend into comics; she really loves your art.
Jim Lee: That's what I'm here for.

* Right now, the developers are playing PS3s and PC on one server, but they haven't made a decision as to whether or not that'll be a possibility in the final game

* Cao says there hasn't been a decision on how many characters each account can have, but everyone will be able to play with everyone. There are no server restrictions to worry about.

* As you progress through the game, you'll see heroes in different costumes.

* Look for expansions to tackle other worlds and times.

* There will be more than just action. You'll need to scope areas and sneak about.

The panel didn't just answer questions, it also showed a new concept art trailer. With a roaring instrumental track over it, the slideshow showed the interior of Isis' tomb, Black Adam, Harley Quinn sneaking around a warehouse-facility, the batmobile, the T-Rex in the batcave, Batman at his computer, Huntress chilling in the batcave, Superman's statue in Centennial Park, S.T.A.R. Labs, Hawkman with Hawlgirl, Brainiac's floating ship wrecking the city, Luthor attacking in his super-suit, and Superman with Supergirl.

Next were some 3D models of the characters in the game. Some of the shots were things we had seen before -- Superman, Sinestro, Grundy -- but a number were brand new looks at Bane, Ambush Bug, Green Arrow, Power Girl, and more. Doomsday looked awesome with a hulking body and gigantic spikes jetting out from his body, and Metallo looked menacing in an enormous metal frame.

post #54 of 394 Old 09-03-2008, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

IGN has some new hands on impressions with new screens

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/907/907161p1.html

EDIT: I was wrong, no new screens.
post #55 of 394 Old 09-15-2008, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

post #56 of 394 Old 09-15-2008, 01:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 26
Geoff Johns wrote the storyline for the whole game which is a good sign. I was never really into an MMO before, but since I have both a PC and PS3 and was brought up on DC Comics, I might have to try this out (if it's not too expensive).

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #57 of 394 Old 02-25-2009, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

A great new trailer showing the Doomsday vs. Superman campaign.

post #58 of 394 Old 02-25-2009, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm definitely getting this one... Doomsday sold it for me.
post #59 of 394 Old 09-08-2009, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

post #60 of 394 Old 09-08-2009, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks for the pics... it seems 2010 will be an incredible year for MMOs on the PS3.

Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Playstation 4 Console

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page