KA-POW!!! DC Universe Online for free on the PS3 and PS4 - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 394 Old 06-14-2010, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
All MMOs are required to purchase the software initially then you pay-to-play with your account. Guild Wars, World of Warcraft, Diablo, etc. ... you're gonna pay for the software and you're gonna pay for the maintenance of the server(s).
Note: I played WoW up until Burning Crusade came out. Not sure what has happened since then as far as payments but thats what I know from my experience.

Gamertag: Dominikin
PS3 username: Dominikin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 394 Old 06-14-2010, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Why do people continue to make the same ignorant statements about stuff they obviously don't understand? I don't know if DC Universe will change their mind or not with the decision not to charge monthly, but Guild Wars has ZERO required fees after you buy the game. The sequel that's been announced will have ZERO required fees after you buy the game. Why is that so difficult to comprehend?

There are optional quest packs to buy if you choose (not unlike GTA4's two additional episodes for sale), but if you bought GW in 2005 for $50 and played every single day until 2010, you will have only payed $50, period. If you signed up for WoW and payed monthly/annually or what have you, you'd be out of hundreds of dollars by now even before you consider buying expansions. You shouldn't even mention the two games in the same sentence when it comes to the required cost to play.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

post #93 of 394 Old 06-14-2010, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Paid or not, the ability to create a superhero and fight alongside my childhood superhero (Superman) is reason enough for me to invest my time and money in this game.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #94 of 394 Old 06-15-2010, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

Why do people continue to make the same ignorant statements about stuff they obviously don't understand? I don't know if DC Universe will change their mind or not with the decision not to charge monthly, but Guild Wars has ZERO required fees after you buy the game. The sequel that's been announced will have ZERO required fees after you buy the game. Why is that so difficult to comprehend?

This. There are a NUMBER of MMOs that dont even require you to purchase the software.

I just pray that this game isn't mired in micro transactions.
post #95 of 394 Old 06-15-2010, 06:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

What are you getting so upset about? Who are these "people" you're talking about? AFAIK I was the only other person to mention Guild Wars in this thread and I never said it was "pay to play".

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #96 of 394 Old 06-16-2010, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

What are you getting so upset about? Who are these "people" you're talking about? AFAIK I was the only other person to mention Guild Wars in this thread and I never said it was "pay to play".

He's referring to Krieger's post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krieger119 View Post

All MMOs are required to purchase the software initially then you pay-to-play with your account. Guild Wars, World of Warcraft, Diablo, etc. ... you're gonna pay for the software and you're gonna pay for the maintenance of the server(s).

post #97 of 394 Old 06-16-2010, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There are optional quest packs to buy if you choose (not unlike GTA4's two additional episodes for sale), but if you bought GW in 2005 for $50 and played every single day until 2010, you will have only payed $50, period. If you signed up for WoW and payed monthly/annually or what have you, you'd be out of hundreds of dollars by now even before you consider buying expansions. You shouldn't even mention the two games in the same sentence when it comes to the required cost to play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubBucket View Post

Well, I stand corrected. I didn't know GW had no fees. Thats pretty cool. All good cuz after a year of playing WoW, I made $600 selling my rogue

Gamertag: Dominikin
PS3 username: Dominikin
post #98 of 394 Old 06-16-2010, 06:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubBucket View Post

From his comment it seemed like more than one person made such a remark. It's only one person, and not really a big deal to begin with. It's a common mistake made by people who never played the game. I am looking forward to GW2 and already have my pre-order in (for the PC version).

Speaking of GW2- There should be a PS3 version of it forthcoming.

I almost forgot: E3 DCU Combat Gameplay @ Gametrailers

post #99 of 394 Old 06-21-2010, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

It's official: despite the earlier story of free play after buying the game, DC Universe Online will cost $15 a month after the initial $60 purchase:

Quote:
Pushsquare.com confirms that DC Universe Online, the upcoming Massively Multi-player Online game coming from Sony Online Entertainment, will have a traditional subscription model. Priced similarly to other premium titles at $14.99, the game allows players to create their own super-powered character and interact with both heroes and villains of DC comics, as they rise in stature.

That does it for me. This game is permanately off my radar.

post #100 of 394 Old 06-21-2010, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Well the E3 video got me amped for this game again. Not sure how they can justify charging more than WoW.

Maybe because servers include both pc and consoul gamers?

PSN: Zetram00
MGO: Tez $$
post #101 of 394 Old 06-21-2010, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

eesh $240 to play this game for a year....

probably another $40 per yearly expansion pack as well... it looked pretty good but nowhere that kind of good!
post #102 of 394 Old 06-21-2010, 02:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetram View Post

Maybe because servers include both pc and consoul gamers?

That probably won't be the case either as they've said that even though cross-platform play works Sony coorporate will have to make the final decision whether they allow it. Considering The Agency also had cross-platform play (PC-PS3) and they decided against it, I would imagine the same will apply for DCUO. Either way at this price I won't be playing (and I get to keep my hat too! ).

post #103 of 394 Old 06-23-2010, 02:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonies View Post

eesh $240 to play this game for a year....

probably another $40 per yearly expansion pack as well... it looked pretty good but nowhere that kind of good!

I have to agree with you there. Not even any kind of free 30 day trial period after you buy the game...I'm probably gonna pass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

That probably won't be the case either as they've said that even though cross-platform play works Sony coorporate will have to make the final decision whether they allow it. Considering The Agency also had cross-platform play (PC-PS3) and they decided against it, I would imagine the same will apply for DCUO. Either way at this price I won't be playing (and I get to keep my hat too! ).

I don't understand what the problem is with having all platforms on the same servers. Isn't that the way Final Fantasy XI runs right now (for a few years now)? Isn't that how SQEnix says FFXIV will run also?
post #104 of 394 Old 06-24-2010, 05:51 AM

I'm a huge comic fan, but the sub just knocked this off my buy list. Maybe I would have done it at $5 a month, but $15? There's just no way. Disappointing to say the least. I will just have to experience it through various web sites.
post #105 of 394 Old 06-24-2010, 07:01 AM

Ouch 15! I havent played MMOs since I dropped WoW before buring crusade as someone that played MMOs back to EQ that price is about double what it used to be.

For 5ish maybe you got me, but 15 no thanks.
post #106 of 394 Old 06-24-2010, 10:13 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I still plan on getting this Day 1, so if anyone plans to purchase, feel free to add me to your list to play.

As a COH/COV fan that played for almost 3 years straight, I got more than $15 worth of playtime a month, and I expect the same from this.

Hopefully, Sony will allow one price (maybe $30/month) and will give you access to all of their online games, as I believe they allow that now with their Station program. Access to the Star Wars game and this would make it worth while.

Thanks and have a good day!

Brian Garner
-----------
XBox Gametag: IceSavior
PS3 Tag: IceSavior
- feel free to add me to your friends list
post #107 of 394 Old 06-24-2010, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Meh the e3 video looked rather sad, and with a subscription fee it's a no-go for me.

International HDDVD Screenshot Archive (Full 1080p Images):
post #108 of 394 Old 06-24-2010, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah.........no.......

Not gonna happen. That's ridiculous.

PSN/XBL: bassmonkeee
Wii number: Who cares?
post #109 of 394 Old 06-24-2010, 04:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

It's not only $15/mo, it's $15/mo + microtransactions. They got a lot of balls at SOE. I don't think this one will last long.

post #110 of 394 Old 06-24-2010, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Worse than that, it's $60 + $15/mo + microtran$action$ + expan$ion pack$

post #111 of 394 Old 06-27-2010, 05:41 AM

If it were free I'd try it, and probably buy a few things from micro-transactions. But this game is not worth $15 a month. Maybe it'll be a good lesson when it bombs after 3 months, and they will focus on micro-transactions and free for Everquest Next.

They should have premium content that you can pay for maybe a city. A League Hall is premium content. Joining a "League" is a micro-transaction. Then have special non-game altering items for sale, and some boost items for sale.

They would have sold a lot of these things since more people would play. I thought Free Realms taught them that.

Oh well, Guild Wars 2 is around the corner. Hopefully they have a plan in the future to bring a game to PS3 as MMO.

PSN: Krelic
post #112 of 394 Old 06-27-2010, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

This will bomb so hard. 60 dollars for the full game? are they nuts? and then still pay 15 dollars a month? for what i ask.

i can play any game online on ps3 for free. however now it is suddenly a MMo and i have to pay monthly for it?

here is an idea sony.

why not make a PSN+ abo and include free play when you buy this Dc game. now that woul dbe something i would do. however otherwise it will be a big no.
post #113 of 394 Old 06-28-2010, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

OK, now I don't feel so bad about DC Online's monthly charge (still not getting it though). A GTA clone called APB is coming out, and since it is a MMO title they are also charging monthly fees after you purchase the game. But check this out - you also have the option to pay them for the duration of your subscription an EXTRA charge just to get them to turn off the in-game advertising!

Quote:

Realtime Worlds' All Points Bulletin (APB) will be released tomorrow with pre-order customers already causing chaos in the crime-filled massively-multiplayer shooter and/or socializing game. The game has a unique payment structure, which allows players to buy blocks of hours to play in the game's 'Action Districts' -- where all the shooting happens -- or simply purchase a monthly subscription.

An early purchaser noticed an interesting option (via Massively) in their account settings: the option for "VOIP Premium", which "removes ads from the voip for 30, 90, and 180 days."

This is too funny. I ain't getting this game either.

post #114 of 394 Old 06-28-2010, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Wow. They're making it really easy to choose which games to completely ignore, aren't they?

PSN/XBL: bassmonkeee
Wii number: Who cares?
post #115 of 394 Old 06-28-2010, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

lmao, how do you have ads in VOIP? are they gonna whisper crap in your ear each time you connect? reminds me of this video

http://www.theonion.com/video/new-go...s-dir%2C17470/
post #116 of 394 Old 06-28-2010, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Maybe it'll stream from the vehicle radios you are driving.

post #117 of 394 Old 07-19-2010, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Here's a link that let's you sign up for the DC Universe Online beta.

post #118 of 394 Old 07-19-2010, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Here's a link that let's you sign up for the DC Universe Online beta.

thanks now i can confirm/deny whether it stinks or not with a more educated opinion!
post #119 of 394 Old 07-19-2010, 06:30 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Thanks for the link.

Just registered.

If this is half as good as City of Heros/Villians, then I will not buy any other game for the next year and will put all my time on this.

Has anyone tried Champions Online?

I have a lifetime membership that I want to get rid of.

Let me know if interested!

Thanks and have a good day!

Brian Garner
-----------
XBox Gametag: IceSavior
PS3 Tag: IceSavior
- feel free to add me to your friends list
post #120 of 394 Old 07-25-2010, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

DCUO will come out on November 2nd. Here's a pretty awesome CG story clip shown at ComCon.

Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Playstation 4 Console

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page