Improving ping time for better online play? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 07-10-2008, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I recently had to switch my internet service due to a buy-out. I am currently using a WiMax service (I'm out in the country - no cable, no DSL), and it has killed my COD4 gaming. The service is fast, but when I first connect to COD4, it disconnects my internet and tells me "you must be connected to the internet". After a few tries of logging in again, I can play, but my connection always displays one red bar (occasionally two yellow). I am getting destroyed playing, and I am lagging.

Here is one of my tests. I assume the lag issue is due to the high ping time. Please, if anyone has any advice, I would be very appreciative!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-10-2008, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Not much you can do about latency. Your ISP has controll over that. Depending on how many routers you have to "hop" through. This latency is nothing more than a response delay in the network, depending on how long the route to the ISP is. Google traceroute.
You have good bandwidth (down) and ok upload speed. But latency you have no control over and most ISP do not guarantee latency in their QOS agreements.

Typcially any radio based internet WiFi, WImax, Satellite. Have higer latency because of the conversion of the electrical signal to radio and then back again. Again.. not much you can do other than going wired with a different ISP.
post #3 of 9 Old 07-10-2008, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Yeah not much you can do there if you have only one option. Gaming is very latency dependent so I would have to say that looking for alternate service is your best hope.

-Splints
post #4 of 9 Old 07-10-2008, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndskyz View Post

Not much you can do about latency. Your ISP has controll over that. Depending on how many routers you have to "hop" through. This latency is nothing more than a response delay in the network, depending on how long the route to the ISP is. Google traceroute.
You have good bandwidth (down) and ok upload speed. But latency you have no control over and most ISP do not guarantee latency in their QOS agreements.

Typcially any radio based internet WiFi, WImax, Satellite. Have higer latency because of the conversion of the electrical signal to radio and then back again. Again.. not much you can do other than going wired with a different ISP.

Agreed with this, it sounds like a latency issue but dont go by what you see on speedtest.net. Start/run/cmd then in your command prompt type traceroute www.ENTERWEBSITE.com and see what kind of latency you are getting. If your provider is the problem, the latency will be pretty large before the outside servers have even been pinged. Doesnt help you much most likely though....if you have no cable or DSL available you are probably screwed.
post #5 of 9 Old 07-10-2008, 12:18 PM
Advanced Member

You aren't going to get great response times with that kind of Wireless service. A ping time of 226ms will translate to very bad performance for any kind of real time application.
post #6 of 9 Old 07-10-2008, 12:20 PM

See if you're getting a lot of errors receiving/transmitting using your PC. If so, then the PS3 might have similar issues. If this is the case, then you can try getting a repeater to try to boost your signal strength. http://meraki.com has some outdoor and window repeaters that may aid in this.
post #7 of 9 Old 07-10-2008, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well, the service that I was using before had the radio connected to a big 2'x3' array antenna. That obviously did a good job, as I had no lag with that, and it was a wireless radio service as well. So, I will see about cracking open my Motorola radio and adding the big antenna to it. Currently, I have four lights (out of five) on the radio, and that is supposed to be pretty good.

My current radio looks like this (except it's a Motorola):

And the array I have looks like this:

What do I need to get that ping down to in order to not bave problems with online gaming? Thanks SO much for help on this. I know some may think that this is not a "PS3" section, but my internet works perfectly. It is just the online gaming sucks...
post #8 of 9 Old 07-10-2008, 01:45 PM
Advanced Member

It would be interesting to see what kind of results you get from a site like

www.testyourvoip.com

If the ping is any indication, you will probably get a bad result as well. Online gaming is more like VoIP than typical Internet activites like email, web surfing etc.
post #9 of 9 Old 07-10-2008, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dioneo View Post

It would be interesting to see what kind of results you get from a site like

www.testyourvoip.com

If the ping is any indication, you will probably get a bad result as well. Online gaming is more like VoIP than typical Internet activites like email, web surfing etc.

Ran the test connecting to Montreal 200km away, and got a 1.8, and according to them 2.0 is "Forget the phone, try Pony Express".

Not so good.

I have found a report of another user experiencing ping times of 50-80ms when using an antenna array like I have, so I will see about trying that...
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page