How long did it take SONY to accept, repair, and return your broken PS3? - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: How long did it take SONY to accept, repair, and return your broken PS3?
less than a week 0 0%
7-9 days 0 0%
10-12 days 0 0%
13-15 days 0 0%
16-18 days 0 0%
19-21 days 0 0%
22-24 days 0 0%
25-27 days 0 0%
28-30 days 0 0%
more than a month 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 106 Old 07-11-2008, 06:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm in the middle of a Sony repair/return at the moment, and I'm wondering how long the service took for you, if you've had to go through the same process with your broken PS3 that I am. There are too many separate service fix/return posts to dig through individually to get a good idea of service time, so I thought it'd be nice to have everyone's experience in one place.

It would also be a good idea if you posted what PS3 version you've had to replace, as well. Judging by some of the posts I've gone through, some models (the 40GBs, in particular) seem to have taken a lot longer than the others.

Tips and Links

Sony's support number (both U.S. and Canada)
1-800-345-7669

Checking your support status (U.S.):
http://www.us.playstation.com/support/repairstatus

Checking your support status (Canada):
http://www.mtcservice.com/mtcis/customer_queryx.html

Some tips in trying to get free service if your PS3 is past its warranty:
  • Don't ask what they can do for you. They'll just say you can spend $150-$169.

• Add up the total $$ value of all your Sony products and tell them how much of a loyal Sony supporter you are. (Even if you aren't.) Repeat this $$ value as many times as you can.

• Sony actually has a name for their free repair/return service. It's called "good will service". Tell them it's what you feel your Sony loyalty is worth. Also tell them that you know other people who have got it. Mention "good will" as many times as you can.

• If the first operator says no, ask to speak to a supervisor.

• Be firm, but don't get angry. They will just shut you down if you get loud.

• Last resort: get your wife to call. I'm not joking! Wives/women sometimes have a gift for getting stuff for free. My wife appealed to them in a more emotional way, where I was maybe a little too calm and factual. I think people are just naturally more likely to help someone they feel an emotion from. It's worth a try, anyway.

• If you used a credit card to purchase your PS3, phone them and find out if their card doubles your warranty. You might already be covered!

Some tips for when you do get your free service:
  • Make sure the operator makes it very clear in your file that you're getting free service. Get her to read it back to you. My service was delayed 3 days because the service centre didn't know if it was supposed to be free or not.

• The return box should come pretty fast. Mine got here the day after I phoned. If you don't get the box right away, phone the service centre.

• Check your service status online. If your status doesn't change in a couple days, phone the service centre.

• On the Canadian service centre website, there's also a Purolator link. You can check you shipment/delivery there. Enter your waybill # from MTC into the PIN# on Purolator. Note: if your service centre status says "PS3 shipped", don't expect it to show up on the Purolator site until at least 1 1/2 hours after the service centre closes. Purolator doesn't scan their pickups at the MTC. They take it back on a skid to Purolator and scan it there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 106 Old 07-11-2008, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Hey Kess, sorta off topic, but which model did you have again?

Good luck, I hope your baby comes back soon.

My 60 Gig is still holding up (thank God) and if it ever pooped out I think I'd cry and I'd also be laughed at by all my 360 friends whom I've made fun of.

post #3 of 106 Old 07-11-2008, 06:39 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
My 60GB (manufactured 02/07) replacement took exactly two weeks in Nov '07. The replacement 60 has been all good, with the exception of the fan kicking into overdrive somewhat more often, and my #2 USB port died recently.

XBL: GutterSnipeR   PSN: Guttahhh
post #4 of 106 Old 07-11-2008, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

As of day 3 into my process, I just checked my Purolator tracking page and about 10 minutes ago the repairman just accepted my return at the repair facility. And this is only day 3!! (From phone call, to return box, to shipping them my PS3, to them getting it.) I'm thinking that's VERY speedy service! (So far.)

Today is Friday morning, so I wonder if they'll ship me out something by the end of the day today. I was promised a new PS3 on the phone, so it actually might be that fast. The only trouble is I was promised a brand new 60GB , and well...they just don't make them anymore. So I really don't know what I'm going to get. Just as long as it works, I'll be happy.

It is also important to note that the warranty on my 60GB expired about 6 months ago, and Sony still waived the $169 (Canadian) service fee. They're also giving me a new 1 year warranty on whatever I get, so for all those getting only 90 days...it really doesn't hurt to ask to get more. Or in my case, to get your wife to ask for more. Yeah, for those who haven't followed my story in the other thread, I phoned Sony twice and got nothing extra from them. Just the $169 service fee. When my wife got home that night, she phoned, and got the service for free!! Plus the extended warranty. The difference? I phoned and asked what they could do for me. When my wife phoned, she told them what she wanted them to do for us. Sounding like she was tinkering on the edge of a nervous breakdown while she listed all the hundreds of dollars we've spent on PS3 related items and other unrelated Sony products, may have had some influence too. (Funny enough it's with the same fury she unleashes on me whenever the subject of my electronics spending comes up.)

My wife's actually been on a bit of a roll lately. Last month our Sirius satellite radio receiver conked out, also waaay past the warranty, and she got a free brand new replacement out of that deal, too. She's got a gift, clearly. And asks for a lot of pampering in return from me whenever she pulls out a win. Unfortunately, pampering to my wife doesn't involve something easy like warm bubble baths and grapes. (Thanks anyway for the suggestion kekborg.) Instead, I find myself having to repaint the hallway and upstairs landing, all of a sudden.

I'll report back when I get more info.
post #5 of 106 Old 07-11-2008, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Wow, I see your return took less than a week harv405!
What GB version was it?
And did they repair or replace?
post #6 of 106 Old 07-11-2008, 10:16 AM

Quote:

I find myself having to repaint the hallway and upstairs landing, all of a sudden.

Sounds like a good deal to me. A little paint is all it takes to please the mistress of coercion? A small price to pay.
post #7 of 106 Old 07-11-2008, 10:21 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
I have an original 60 gig that had sound stuttering and freezing problems from GTA4. I called & they shipped a box in a couple days, I got it on a Friday and shipped it out on Monday. A replacement was back to me the following Monday. I'm from Wisconsin and the service center is in Texas.

Even though it was out of warranty for quite awhile, they replaced it for no charge and the replacement unit has a 90 day warranty.

All in all, very impressed.

CL
post #8 of 106 Old 07-11-2008, 10:34 AM

I had a launch 20 Gig, replaced twice...

First time was about 5 days, second time, over a month...
post #9 of 106 Old 07-11-2008, 12:39 PM
Giz

Liked: 13
I had a launch 60gb that wouldn't run GTA. I called a couple times before they agreed to replace it, but that was pretty early on in the process of them figuring out what the issue was. Once I saw that people were getting refurb'ed units, I called. I received the empty box pretty quickly ~ 1 week. It took me a while to part with my baby but I shipped it out on a Friday, they receive it Monday and shipped me a new one the same day. I had the refurb'ed unit back by with Wed. or Thursday. So, it was less than a week from when I sent mine in.

I can't complain about that service at all! Pretty darn good!

EDIT: I don't know where my experience fits in the poll as I don't recall when I first called Sony about the GTA problems. Also, I waited to make sure that other people were receiving 60 gig units back. I didn't want to ship them a 60 and get a 40 back, just for GTA.....
post #10 of 106 Old 07-11-2008, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giz View Post

I had a launch 60gb that wouldn't run GTA. I called a couple times before they agreed to replace it, but that was pretty early on in the process of them figuring out what the issue was. Once I saw that people were getting refurb'ed units, I called. I received the empty box pretty quickly ~ 1 week. It took me a while to part with my baby but I shipped it out on a Friday, they receive it Monday and shipped me a new one the same day. I had the refurb'ed unit back by with Wed. or Thursday. So, it was less than a week from when I sent mine in.

I can't complain about that service at all! Pretty darn good!

Sounds like the return service took 6-7 days + the time it took for you to get the empty box. 13-14 days, then. It's weird that it took so long to get the box, and yet you got same day service at the service center.

EDIT: I don't know where my experience fits in the poll as I don't recall when I first called Sony about the GTA problems. Also, I waited to make sure that other people were receiving 60 gig units back. I didn't want to ship them a 60 and get a 40 back, just for GTA.....

Sounds like the return service took 6-7 days + the time it took for you to get the empty box. 13-14 days, then. It's weird that it took so long to get the box, and yet you got same day service at the service center. Overall, it worked out pretty fast for you. Although at this point, 14 days would feel like an ETERNITY to me!! Damn, I didn't realize how addicted I was to my PS3!!

I ended up calling the service center this afternoon, and they said they'd get to it today, and that I'd get it back within 3-4 days. I'm guardedly optimistic. I'll check in again with them on Monday.
post #11 of 106 Old 07-11-2008, 02:13 PM

i called Sony on wednesday to get my 60gb unit repaired (2.40 defiantely messed with my ps3, Freezing, etc.) (or to get a refurb), The box actually shipped from sony on friday, looks like ill get it on Tuesday according to the ups trkingnumber, ill keep this up to date to see how long it will take all together. I was disapointed about sending in my ps3 but I will use my dads for the time being.

XBOX Live Id : Big Moogle
PSN ID: BOUNTY14
Games being played : Uncharted 2, Cod4-2, Forza 3, Lost Odyssey, Star Ocean 4
post #12 of 106 Old 07-12-2008, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Mog View Post

I was disapointed about sending in my ps3 but I will use my dads for the time being.

At least you don't have to go cold turkey like me! I got a little excited when I remembered my wife's grandfather has a PS3, and that I might be able to use his for a while. He's 80, what could he possibly be doing with a PS3 all that often, right? Well, it turns out he uses it EVERY day! The guy can barely see! This makes him a legend in my mind. I think he's playing Motorstorm. (Cool, finally someone from my way that could possibly challenge dogdoctor.)

As for my repair status, it's been "Waiting for test" since late yesterday afternoon. Not sure if that means they've fixed it, and now they're just testing it to make sure it's ok. Or if before they can fix it, they have to wait for some device to test for the error or problem. Either way, it's the weekend now, so I'm not expecting too much progress until Monday.
post #13 of 106 Old 07-12-2008, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Good to see I've had the longest turnaround.

Mine bit it right when a bunch of other 40 gig Sept. builds bit it so there was an inordinate backorder.

PSN = JUST_KEVIN
post #14 of 106 Old 07-12-2008, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor_Kevin View Post

Good to see I've had the longest turnaround.

Mine bit it right when a bunch of other 40 gig Sept. builds bit it so there was an inordinate backorder.

Eeek, I think 30 days would kill me! Or my wife would kill me. Every 30 minutes she catches me running to the computer to check the repair status...and apparently it's wearing a little thin.

Hey, when you got your replacement back, Auditor_Kevin, did Rock band finally work without the lag problems you were having?
post #15 of 106 Old 07-12-2008, 07:58 PM
Advanced Member

I've had my 40gb in twice for a dead blu-ray drive (won't play/load any disc I put in it). Manufactured Sep 07, bought in Nov, dies the first time in Mar, died the second time in Jun. Both times took upward of 16-18 days minimum.
I'm not sure on the 1st time, but the 2d time I received my unit back so they did some manner of repair and returned it to me. The 1st time I didn't bother to compare serial numbers or anything so I'm not sure if I got a refurb or not. The thing looked brand spanking new when I got it though.

PSN: VinnAY-DBC
post #16 of 106 Old 07-13-2008, 02:59 PM

So did you guys send in the whole PS3, including the HDD? I have a lot of stuff saved on mine (including locked save game data) and am considering taking out the HDD before sending it in.
post #17 of 106 Old 07-13-2008, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mq357 View Post

So did you guys send in the whole PS3, including the HDD? I have a lot of stuff saved on mine (including locked save game data) and am considering taking out the HDD before sending it in.

I probably wouldn't send in your PS3 without the HDD. When they send you a return box, they pretty much ask you to return everything (except for instructions books) that came with it. Including controller, and even the little 9" usb cable. I recommend backing up your data.
post #18 of 106 Old 07-13-2008, 06:59 PM

Thanks for the speedy reply, Kess. I'll be updating with my results as soon as everything is taken care of.

Regarding the 60GB versions, does anyone know if they give you the 60GB version back or do they replace it with an 80?
post #19 of 106 Old 07-14-2008, 09:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kess View Post

I probably wouldn't send in your PS3 without the HDD. When they send you a return box, they pretty much ask you to return everything (except for instructions books) that came with it. Including controller, and even the little 9" usb cable. I recommend backing up your data.

Actually this second time around for me, they didn't ask for any of the peripherals, just the PS3.

PSN: VinnAY-DBC
post #20 of 106 Old 07-14-2008, 12:39 PM
Giz

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mq357 View Post

Thanks for the speedy reply, Kess. I'll be updating with my results as soon as everything is taken care of.

Regarding the 60GB versions, does anyone know if they give you the 60GB version back or do they replace it with an 80?

They told me that I would definately receive a 60GB back, which I did. That was my biggest worry - that and the withdrawal symptoms that Kess is experiencing right now.

Also, when I sent it in, I just sent in the PS3 unit. Nothing else. Yes, I did send in the hard drive. I backed up the data to a USB HD, which was easy with the backup program included with the PS3. I then ran a full format to clean it off.

I had a little trouble getting the backup data connected to the right log-ins. If I remember this right, I set up the log-ins and then ran the back-up program. Unfortunately, it put my son's back-up data on my log-in. Obviously, the solution was to put the back-up data back on the PS3 first and then to set up the log-in accounts. I know, RTFM.....

Kess - for some reason, they mailed the empty box to me via slow-motion ground. The label for me to send it back was overnight, and they sent the refurb'ed one via air. I thought it was weird as well, but I guess with the volume they do saving a few bucks on mailing the empty box adds up to real money - and spending a few extra bucks when the PS3 is inside the box make sense as well. Hope yours comes back soon!
post #21 of 106 Old 07-14-2008, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 85
I just sent mine in for a repair. Shipped it out on July 7, up for delivery to my home today July 14. I'm in the 7-9 day category and that includes one weekend! Pretty impressive. I will update and let you know if I got my unit or a refurb back.

PSN: CrashLanding (please ID requests as AVS)
post #22 of 106 Old 07-16-2008, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash44 View Post

I just sent mine in for a repair. Shipped it out on July 7, up for delivery to my home today July 14. I'm in the 7-9 day category and that includes one weekend! Pretty impressive. I will update and let you know if I got my unit or a refurb back.

Just updating myself here- I received my exact unit in return yesterday and it's running well. Mine had the BD drive replaced as it would read no discs, but everything else worked fine. My only complaint has to do with the unit being more scratched than when I sent it in. The top has rub marks that weren't there, probably from the shipping package but annoying still.

PSN: CrashLanding (please ID requests as AVS)
post #23 of 106 Old 07-16-2008, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So's your face...Be sure to tell us how long your return takes when it happens sometime in the next month or so, hey?

post #24 of 106 Old 07-16-2008, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

^^ Crash44 and Giz, I'm so glad it all worked out for you guys. I'm right at the point in my return where I REALLY don't want to jinx anything! I'm supposed to be getting mine back tomorrow afternoon, but I've been in such a fragile state for the past 8 days that I really don't think I wanna mess with fate or my karma on that one just yet.

Don't know what I'm getting back yet, either. I was promised a new model on the phone with Sony....but I'm pretty sure my old one was fixed...or a refurb is gonna be sent. At this point, I'll take a PS3 made out of used vacuum cleaner parts just so long as it works!!
post #25 of 106 Old 07-16-2008, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So's your face...Be sure to tell us how long your return takes when it happens sometime in the next month or so, eh?

i fixed it for you...

btw, when your ps3 overheated, did it damage any of the supporting blocks in your igloo?

kidding kess!! besides... i couldn't resist. i hope you're not bitter just because i haven't joined you on COD4 yet...

Mark Sporto, we hardly knew ye.
post #26 of 106 Old 07-16-2008, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hey, when you got your replacement back, Auditor_Kevin, did Rock band finally work without the lag problems you were having?

Nope. It still has the exact same lag problems. I just turn the mic volume all the way down and the band subliminally learns to listen to the drum sticks hitting the drums during the fills instead of listening to the half second off beat sounds coming throught the speakers on the fills.

PSN = JUST_KEVIN
post #27 of 106 Old 07-16-2008, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by so's your face View Post

i fixed it for you...

btw, when your ps3 overheated, did it damage any of the supporting blocks in your igloo?

kidding kess!! besides... i couldn't resist. i hope you're not bitter just because i haven't joined you on COD4 yet...

Well, at least I don't have to lock my igloo door at night and sleep with a loaded harpoon under my pillow. I also only ever have to wear one layer of flannel (despite all misconceptions about this), cuz if I get sick, all I have to pay for is the parking on my dog sled.

No hard feelings whatsoever! You just make it easy to make fun of. Speaking of which, nice "lemon chiffon" colour choice for your little message at the end there. Is that the colour your prom dress from high school came in?

As for COD4...I'm only waiting for the day you join me for a few rounds. I need all the confidence I can get with that game.
post #28 of 106 Old 07-16-2008, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, at least I don't have to lock my igloo door at night and sleep with a loaded harpoon under my pillow. I also only ever have to wear one layer of flannel (despite all misconceptions about this), cuz if I get sick, all I have to pay for is the parking on my dog sled.

WELL MET!

Mark Sporto, we hardly knew ye.
post #29 of 106 Old 07-16-2008, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Well, Kess, despite my best efforts I was not able to secure the same fine treatment that your wife did. It's unsurprising, really. Women have a way with words

So I took the opportunity to snag a new 40gb this afternoon to keep me entertained. Now that I'm not worried about turnaround time, I wonder if it's possible to request that they fix my PS3, rather than immediately sending me a refurb?

I'm only concerned about this because I never backed up the old system. All my game saves are still on the 160gb HDD I popped out of the broken PS3. If they fix mine and sent it back to me, will I still need to re-format??

Avarice
post #30 of 106 Old 07-16-2008, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just got the Purulator shipping confirmation!!!

I should be getting my PS3 back tomorrow afternoon sometime!! Which just so happens to be the time that my wife heads out of town for a couple days!! It's like I can't even imagine my life getting better! L-o-v-e the wife dearly, but come on...I haven't played COD4 in 9 days!!!

Oh, just so everyone knows, my unit didn't overheat when I got the yellow light/blinking-red-light of death. Sony said it did, but it had been on for only about an hour. And my PS3 sits out, it's not enclosed at all. Nope, just right of the blue, no warning, no flickering....it just shut itself off. And completely refused to turn itself back on.

The whole thing sucked beyond all my abilities to cope like a normal person, but having said that...customer service (MTC in Canada) was AWESOME. Truly. The girl that talked to me was waaay cool. She honestly made me feel that my junkie-like withdrawal/sickness was understandable. She deserves a medal, as far as I'm concerned.

So, if my new PS3 comes tomorrow, like it should, I'll be putting myself down for 9 days of return/repair time on my poll. Not too shabby.

I'll post a list of return tips tomorrow. Cuz I've got a few good ones that would have sped up my repair time had I known beforehand.
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page