Overscan Adjustment - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 76 Old 07-22-2008, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Personally I would love if Sony would include a way to adjust overscan in a future firmware update much like that in Metal Gear Solid 4. My cheap Vizio has heavy overscan on HDMI and so far I have not found any service menu code or way to reduce it and Vizio is no help.

On a side note I've heard other games include an adjustment like MGS could someone tell me which ones do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 76 Old 07-22-2008, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

MLB The Show does.
post #3 of 76 Old 07-22-2008, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I own a Vizio too. It is just like 4% or 5% overscan. It is not that much.
Are you playing MGS4 at 1080i or 720p? It seems there is less overscan at 1080i.
post #4 of 76 Old 07-22-2008, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

I've noticed equal overscan on both and its not something that prohibits gameplay but is very annoying. I'll try 1080i again and see if helps any, but it would just be a nice addition in a future firmware update.
post #5 of 76 Old 07-22-2008, 02:42 PM

Would be a very welcome option for me too. I have very small overscan (like 1%) but its still to much IMO.

On a sidenote: Warhawk also has this overscan adjustment in the game. What I found perculiar with Warhawk: I had to adjust for overscan in the service menu of my TV and sqeezed vertical and horizontal aspects to the max to get rid of the overscan in XMB (also during movies and the webbrowser ofcourse. But I still have some overscan on both 720p and 1080p HDMI input). Warhawk shows black borders on its default setting now, but when I go back into the service menu of my TV and put the V&H aspects on default again, the borders are (almost) gone. This is the only game I've encountered this. Looks like XMB overscans like 5% on default and the devs of Warhawk compensated for this with their default setting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxDam77 View Post

I own a Vizio too. It is just like 4% or 5% overscan. It is not that much.

Are you mad? 4-5% overscan? Not that much? I go crazy because I have like 1%. Just look at how much 4-5% is:

post #6 of 76 Old 07-22-2008, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Most games and television programming don't put anything vital in there, though. And if it was that important to you, why not research it before you buy your set?

PSN: Tezasaurus
post #7 of 76 Old 07-22-2008, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

It is not a vital thing to me but is something annoying. Also I tried 720p vs. 1080i vs. 1080p and got the same amount of overscan, roughly 5% (enough to annoy and cut of some things in the browser). Anyway if Sony ever does add this I would love them forever.
post #8 of 76 Old 07-22-2008, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

The PS3 browser? You can zoom that in and out.

I imagine it is annoying, yeah.

post #9 of 76 Old 07-22-2008, 07:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 26
They definitely need to add it to hardware for all sources, not just games, as the BD/DVD player suffers a huge overscan on my display as well. One all-around overscan adjustment setup in the setup menu should do the trick.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #10 of 76 Old 07-22-2008, 11:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Why don't you guys just get your screens calibrated for no overscan instead? that's what I do.
post #11 of 76 Old 07-22-2008, 11:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Funny you said that. I don't imagine anything but CRT based TV having overscan. My
Sony 34" CRT HDTV only have 3% and that is like a plus x100 on a CRT tube TV.

There is always someone out there that gives you opinion of a product that they don't even own.
post #12 of 76 Old 07-23-2008, 05:13 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 28
Quote:

Why don't you guys just get your screens calibrated for no overscan instead? that's what I do.

I have actually had mine professionally calibrated, but still get severe overscan with some games. Particularly bad for me is GTA4, some of the display graphics are half or more off-screen. Unfortunately GTA4 doesn't have screen adjustments in the menu. BR movies through the PS3 are offset more to the top of the screen. 2.35:1 movies have nearly twice the black bar at the bottom as the top.

My convergence grid overlay lines up perfect with my TV's convergence grid when in the service menu. Go figure. BTW, my TV's a rear projection Toshiba 65HX81.
post #13 of 76 Old 07-23-2008, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martez View Post

Most games and television programming don't put anything vital in there, though. And if it was that important to you, why not research it before you buy your set?

The problem is not my set. It is the PS3...

Quote:

The PS3 browser? You can zoom that in and out.

I imagine it is annoying, yeah.

You can zoom in what you want, overscan is of course still there. Don't try to defend this. PS3 overscans and its problematic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zBuff View Post

I did that also, but you can only go so far with reducing overscan. Especially if the PS3 overscans this much. When I put a upscaling DVD player on the same HDMI port as my PS3 is on, I have massive borders now. My compensation for overscan is on max now, still I have like 1% overscan - only on the PS3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

They definitely need to add it to hardware for all sources, not just games, as the BD/DVD player suffers a huge overscan on my display as well. One all-around overscan adjustment setup in the setup menu should do the trick.

That should do the trick indeed. I hope Sony adds this feature but I hope it doesn't depend on the scaler thats in the PS3... cause some people say it lacks this.
post #14 of 76 Old 07-23-2008, 05:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Perhaps I'm crazy but I don't want to sped almost as much getting my tv calibrated as I paid for it. Yes I know it could do "wonders" for my picture but currently I'm satisfied with my tv, aside from the overscan, and can't justify that big of an expense.
post #15 of 76 Old 07-23-2008, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathbymetal View Post

Perhaps I'm crazy but I don't want to sped almost as much getting my tv calibrated as I paid for it. Yes I know it could do "wonders" for my picture but currently I'm satisfied with my tv, aside from the overscan, and can't justify that big of an expense.

Correcting overscan is very simple: enter the service menu in your TV and change V-stretching and also H-stretching. Done. 2 minutes tops. Leave the color stuff over to a pro
post #16 of 76 Old 07-23-2008, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Can you post a pic of MGS4 ingame with an item and weapon equip to see how much overscan you have?

Just curious.
post #17 of 76 Old 07-23-2008, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trat View Post

Are you mad? 4-5% overscan? Not that much? I go crazy because I have like 1%. Just look at how much 4-5% is

Well, I took that info from the cnet.com review on the Vizio VX37L. They say it has like 4.5% overscan.
I know I have overscan but not sure if I have that amount. I'll have to check with my Avia DVD test patterns. I mess so much around my latest CRT HDTV with the service menu. What made me go crazy was the geometry issues with the CRT that thankfully are gone with my LCD.
post #18 of 76 Old 07-23-2008, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Don't try to defend this. PS3 overscans and its problematic.

If it was the PS3, wouldn't that mean everyone has this overscan issue? I don't. Maybe I'm just not understanding the situation.

post #19 of 76 Old 07-23-2008, 09:03 AM

Quote:

If it was the PS3, wouldn't that mean everyone has this overscan issue? I don't. Maybe I'm just not understanding the situation.

Everyone has overscan on the PS3. Or else it would mean that all my other hdmi equipment would underscan. All my friends say they have it too: I emailed them this thread and they see it too.

Did you try this test pattern? Its for 720p output http://www.evilboris.com/wp-content/...0_overscan.gif

There is also one for 1080p, google it.
post #20 of 76 Old 07-23-2008, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

I'll give it a shot tonight, but with my set's 1:1 it actually shows me TOO much On The Orange Box, for example, when I pause it the pause screen overlay doesn't reach the edge of the screen. A few other filters don't either and I have to turn on the overscan so the "clear" borders on the edges don't drive me bonkers. But like I said, I'll try the 720 and 1080 images tonight and post up the results.

post #21 of 76 Old 07-23-2008, 09:21 AM

Quote:

I'll give it a shot tonight, but with my set's 1:1 it actually shows me TOO much On The Orange Box, for example, when I pause it the pause screen overlay doesn't reach the edge of the screen. A few other filters don't either and I have to turn on the overscan so the "clear" borders on the edges don't drive me bonkers. But like I said, I'll try the 720 and 1080 images tonight and post up the results.

Please do! Some games seem to compensate for XMBs overscan. Others don't...
post #22 of 76 Old 07-23-2008, 10:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Why? Because my TV cost $1000 and it would cost $400 to have a calibrator over to do it and I don't think he would be able to do much anyways (I read the service guide).

post #23 of 76 Old 07-23-2008, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

Why? Because my TV cost $1000 and it would cost $400 to have a calibrator over to do it and I don't think he would be able to do much anyways (I read the service guide).

You can really do much yourself, but the calibrators have hardware that can see differences we can't see (so why would it be better then, I hear you ask). If only I could find a service manual for my Panasonic 32lx70...
post #24 of 76 Old 07-23-2008, 01:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

You can really do much yourself, but the calibrators have hardware that can see differences we can't see (so why would it be better then, I hear you ask). If only I could find a service manual for my Panasonic 32lx70...

No I really can't. My particular TV don't have any overscan adjustments in any menu at all, it's all done manually, and I'm in no way going to open up my RPTV LED TV and risk messing it up permanently.

post #25 of 76 Old 07-23-2008, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Correcting overscan is very simple: enter the service menu in your TV and change V-stretching and also H-stretching. Done. 2 minutes tops. Leave the color stuff over to a pro

Unfortunately I have yet to find a service menu code for my TV. (Vizio VW26l)

Quote:

Can you post a pic of MGS4 ingame with an item and weapon equip to see how much overscan you have?

Just curious.

Sure but I can already tell you I have 5%, enough to interfere slightly with the browser, plus I have mgs4 corrected thanks to the overscan adjustment in the menu. I overstated my amount of overscan in my OP, I thought it was more than it is.
post #26 of 76 Old 07-23-2008, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Unfortunately I have yet to find a service menu code for my TV. (Vizio VW26l)

Sure but I can already tell you I have 5%, enough to interfere slightly with the browser, plus I have mgs4 corrected thanks to the overscan adjustment in the menu. I overstated my amount of overscan in my OP, I thought it was more than it is.

Fortunatly, your model can adjust the overscan in the menu unlike mine.
post #27 of 76 Old 07-23-2008, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Fortunatly, your model can adjust the overscan in the menu unlike mine.

Mine doesn't have an option to adjust overscan in the menu, earlier I was referring to MGS4 option to adjust overscan.
post #28 of 76 Old 07-23-2008, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I just tried images for overscan and I see none at all on my computer monitor. The PS3 is putting out the whole image. If people have overscan issues, it's likely the TV. There is overscan when setting the PS3 to 720p, but that's the monitor's fault and I already knew that.

I certainly would like some overscan adjustment. The way it is now, the monitor stretches 1080p material vertically to fit the (16:10) screen. For some reason, 720p is only stretched very little and cropped on the sides, which I strongly prefer to the noticeable stretching of 1080p. If they could have a setting to adjust horizontal and vertical separately, I could compensate for the monitor's stretching. That would really be nice.
post #29 of 76 Old 07-23-2008, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDrexl View Post

I just tried images for overscan and I see none at all on my computer monitor. The PS3 is putting out the whole image. If people have overscan issues, it's likely the TV. There is overscan when setting the PS3 to 720p, but that's the monitor's fault and I already knew that.

No, thats the PS3s fault. All my other HDMI devices give through without any overscan, only the PS3 shows overscan on HDMI. BTW. do you connect your PS3 directly through HDMI or do you use such a DVI convertor.

Quote:

I certainly would like some overscan adjustment. The way it is now, the monitor stretches 1080p material vertically to fit the (16:10) screen. For some reason, 720p is only stretched very little and cropped on the sides, which I strongly prefer to the noticeable stretching of 1080p. If they could have a setting to adjust horizontal and vertical separately, I could compensate for the monitor's stretching. That would really be nice.

For you, a 16:10 output ratio support (I know 360 gets this) would be nice, but I doubt Sony even wants you to play the PS3 on a computer screen, rather than on a TV they sell.
post #30 of 76 Old 07-23-2008, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter

I just sent Sony an email requesting the update and encourage anyone else having the same issue to do the same.
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page