More info on Sony's rumored new FPS controller... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 08-01-2008, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I came across this blog yesterday and thought it was worth sharing. Here's a small synopsis:

Quote:

Sony aims for First Person Shooter’s

Sony appears to be gearing up for a controller upgrade for the PS3 that is aimed at first person shooter video games – though its described capabilities go far beyond that limited focus. According to a recent Sony patent, the traditional looking controller will undergo a transformation with the use of new sensors that will allow the controller to act as a gun itself. The odd looking method will supposedly provide the user with a superior and more natural method for aiming in a first person shooter game. Furthermore, this scheme is capable of providing true analog aiming; meaning that the more steep the angle on the controller, the quicker the game reacts in given situations. Additionally, the player will be able to make a single quick up-and-down motion of the controller to have his or her character reload a weapon. Sony describes the upgraded controller as having the ability to be tracked in six degrees of freedom. In addition to covering this first person shooter controller upgrade, this report also takes a peek at an upcoming PSP gun accessory which could theoretically be redesigned to work with Apple’s iPod touch and/or iPhone.

Of course this may/should be viewed as speculation for now, but I thought it was interesting. There's more information on this "new" controller along with what appears to be patent images at the following link. Also there's info as to what Mad Catz may be developing for the PSP.

Here is the link to the article. Sorry if this has been posted previously.

"Huh, I thought the rocky mountains would be a little rockier than this....that John Denver is full of s#!t man!"

PSN: NO-den
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-01-2008, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Maybe it'll be out for Killzone 2.

PSN: Tezasaurus
post #3 of 7 Old 08-01-2008, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

That would be nice

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 7 Old 08-01-2008, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

^^^Exactly what I was thinking.

We've all (more than likely) heard rumors of Sony developing a "Wii" like controller and it would be most fortuitous if this comes to fruition with KZ2. I for one am quite intrigued with the patent images...a very interesting approach/use of the DS3/sixaxis IMO...I hope it's not just a concept.

"Huh, I thought the rocky mountains would be a little rockier than this....that John Denver is full of s#!t man!"

PSN: NO-den
post #5 of 7 Old 08-01-2008, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

From the patent pics, it looks awfully uncomfortable.

International HDDVD Screenshot Archive (Full 1080p Images):
post #6 of 7 Old 08-01-2008, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I just hope that this thing will work with other games, including those already released. I hope it isn't some proprietary thing that needs the game to support it.
post #7 of 7 Old 08-02-2008, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooki View Post

From the patent pics, it looks awfully uncomfortable.

I agree totally. I picked up the controller and held it like they do in the pics a and it just doesn't feel right- it really limits the use of the buttons and is uncomfortable. Also the descriptions of its possible uses sound like what I thought the sixaxis was already capable of.

PSN: moosemeister
XBOXlive: beilzebub
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page