PS3 on DEEP color 10-Bit display - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 08-25-2008, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Schabeugen04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
OK Guys I've been studying up on x.v.YYC color(deep color) and how it relates to PS3....and now I'm almost ready to purchase a new TV.... MY question is can some do a comparison of pics with there ps3 on a deep color supported display? I'm looking for a comparison on a Sony KDL-46z4100 or a Sony KDL-XBR4. the settings i need are

PS3 game in limited mode on a TV set that is also in limited/standard color gamut.

then a PS3 Game in Full RGB and Superwhites on and the TV set to wide color gamut.

The reason I'm asking this is because I've seen comparison pics but they never reveal the TV's specs whether it's a 10bit panel and or whether is supports wide color gamut thx guys....

I really want to know how this affects the picture quality of games
Schabeugen04 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 Old 08-25-2008, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bdwright77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Houston
Posts: 1,891
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've played around with it on my samsung 4661, and although I dont have pics to show you, my preference has been to use let the PS3 automatically choose Yb/Yr/Pr (?) or RGB itself, but set superwhites to on and leave deep color off on the TV.

Again, just my preference as I thought the colors were inaccurate when trying to do RGB and deep color.
bdwright77 is offline  
post #3 of 8 Old 08-25-2008, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Schabeugen04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdwright77 View Post

I've played around with it on my samsung 4661, and although I dont have pics to show you, my preference has been to use let the PS3 automatically choose Yb/Yr/Pr (?) or RGB itself, but set superwhites to on and leave deep color off on the TV.

Again, just my preference as I thought the colors were inaccurate when trying to do RGB and deep color.

Does having a 10bit display give the colors more vibrancy??
Schabeugen04 is offline  
post #4 of 8 Old 08-25-2008, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
steven975's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,574
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
with a 10bit source yes.

but outside of AVCHD, there really are no 10bit sources. It's not built into the Blu-Ray specification, either.
steven975 is offline  
post #5 of 8 Old 08-25-2008, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Schabeugen04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven975 View Post

with a 10bit source yes.

but outside of AVCHD, there really are no 10bit sources. It's not built into the Blu-Ray specification, either.

Thx Steve I know that blu-rays are only encode up to 8- bit. I'm just trying to see if there are any major benefits to gaming strictly
Schabeugen04 is offline  
post #6 of 8 Old 08-25-2008, 04:15 PM
Senior Member
 
islewarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 302
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schabeugen04 View Post

OK Guys I've been studying up on x.v.YYC color(deep color) and how it relates to PS3....and now I'm almost ready to purchase a new TV.... MY question is can some do a comparison of pics with there ps3 on a deep color supported display? I'm looking for a comparison on a Sony KDL-46z4100 or a Sony KDL-XBR4. the settings i need are

PS3 game in limited mode on a TV set that is also in limited/standard color gamut.

then a PS3 Game in Full RGB and Superwhites on and the TV set to wide color gamut.

The reason I'm asking this is because I've seen comparison pics but they never reveal the TV's specs whether it's a 10bit panel and or whether is supports wide color gamut thx guys....

I really want to know how this affects the picture quality of games

both the xbr4 and z series support rgb full for below black and super white setting. but do not send it thru a av receiver for pass thru. use hdmi direct from ps3 to the sony tv. my av was clipping both ends of black and whites make sure you check what the av receiver can handle.
from my research the big difference between sets is the xbr(bravia pro engine) and the z(bravia 2 engine).

-------------------------
psn: acelightning15
just call me ace
islewarrior is offline  
post #7 of 8 Old 08-25-2008, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member
 
tokerblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 4,721
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schabeugen04 View Post

Thx Steve I know that blu-rays are only encode up to 8- bit. I'm just trying to see if there are any major benefits to gaming strictly

- I highly doubt that you'll see Deep Color in games any time soon. Developers are having a hard enough time developing games that are higher than 720p.
tokerblue is offline  
post #8 of 8 Old 08-26-2008, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member
 
SirDrexl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 4,133
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post

- I highly doubt that you'll see Deep Color in games any time soon. Developers are having a hard enough time developing games that are higher than 720p.

Not to mention keeping a decent framerate in some cases.

Plus, it seems a little ironic to me to want Deep Color on games that, often these days, aren't very colorful to begin with.
SirDrexl is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply PlayStation Area

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off