ps3 busted... backup options? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 09-28-2008, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, as far as I've been able to determine, my PS3 bit the dust over the weekend. It's a 60 Gb model that I got in Feb '07 - so out of warranty. First I'll describe what happened (with the slim hope that someone's seen something similar and can suggest a fix other than what I've tried), but I'm also interested in what I might be able to do to extract the gamesaves that are on there.

This is what happened. My wife had been listening to a CD in the PS3, and I guess it had been on pause for a few hours while we were watching TV. Then, we were going to watch a movie - so flipped the TV's input to HDMI. I was in the other room, and she says 'look it's the Matrix'. I look at the TV and the display is frozen in what appears to be a random grid of black and green blocks. Well, I just figure it's locked up (my son had said it had locked up a couple of times recently while he was playing Civilization). So, I hold the power button down until it powers off, and then press it again to turn it back on ... and nothing happens. The green light comes on like it's going to power up but no sound and no video (just a blue screen on my TV like when there's no input).

Not knowing what the problem and hoping it would resolve itself, I didn't try much more other than holding down the power button when it was off (as described in various google searches as resetting the video to the detected connection) until the next day. Then yesterday, I tried HDMI, component, and composite connections to no avail. Here's how the PS3 behaves: green light comes on, the fan starts up and then turns off almost immediately, the green light stays on, I can insert and eject discs but cannot get any output. The controllers if plugged in will have all lights flashing, but do not seem to recognize the PS3 - no port is assigned.

I did call Sony, and they weren't able to tell me much. Other than made me follow the same troubleshooting procedure I had already tried. They said I could mail it in and get it fixed for $150, which I'm not really excited to do.

I'm leaning towards buying a new unit, as it won't be long until I go into PS3 game and blu-ray withdrawal. Anybody have some suggestions as to ways I might be able to get the data off of my PS3?? unfortunately, it's probably been 6 months or more since I backed it up. I asked the tech from Sony, but he was fairly clueless. (First he told me, 'yeah sure you can back it up.. just go into settings from the xmb.' So I had to remind him of the first 20 minutes of our conversation and how it doesn't boot up). I asked him if I were to buy a new ps3, take my old hard drive out and put it in the new one, if I could then back it up. He said that as soon as I took out the hard drive it would be erased. I think this is wrong, but I suppose it is possible when I put it in the new one it might get re-formatted.

Another option then would be to put the old drive into an enclosure and then restore this. Would this work?

Anyways, sorry for the long post, but I'm looking to see if anyone has had a similar failure, and if there's any way to get my save data after failure. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 09-28-2008, 10:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Unless you can get your current PS3 working you're sht out of luck in regards to backign up your data. So that means paying $150 for sony to repair it and crossing your finger the don;t erase the HDD.

PS there's a few tricks you can try with the HDD, such as booting the PS3 with a fresh unformatted drive etc. But don't expect to much.

International HDDVD Screenshot Archive (Full 1080p Images): www.hdmovies.co.nz
post #3 of 14 Old 09-29-2008, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

could try removing the HDD and check for dust and such. they re install sometimes I've heard that works if it is a HDD issue. otherwise id say send it in and prehapps buy another for now. keep the refurb you'll get and use it in another room
post #4 of 14 Old 09-29-2008, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerx View Post

could try removing the HDD and check for dust and such. they re install sometimes I've heard that works if it is a HDD issue. otherwise id say send it in and prehapps buy another for now. keep the refurb you'll get and use it in another room

The minute you remove the HDD and plug it back in, the PS3 will prompt you to format it.
post #5 of 14 Old 09-29-2008, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I asked the Sony support guy what my chances of getting my data back. He made it seem like I would more than likely get a refurb one back (not my own), and if they were able to fix mine and send it back that it wasn't likely that it would still have any data on it.

So, is the file structure on a ps3-formatted hard drive such that I could back it up with a PC (by removing the HDD from the PS3 and putting in an enclosure)?
post #6 of 14 Old 09-29-2008, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjyokel View Post

So, is the file structure on a ps3-formatted hard drive such that I could back it up with a PC (by removing the HDD from the PS3 and putting in an enclosure)?

not that I am aware of.
post #7 of 14 Old 09-29-2008, 05:27 PM
Advanced Member

What can the the rest of us learn from this? What else do I need to back up besides me game saves? I have a 8gig flash drive. Can I use my maxtor 500 gig external HDD from my pc?
thanks
post #8 of 14 Old 09-29-2008, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingram View Post

What can the the rest of us learn from this? What else do I need to back up besides me game saves? I have a 8gig flash drive. Can I use my maxtor 500 gig external HDD from my pc?
thanks

Yep, you can use an external HDD to fully backup your PS3. Unfortunately, I was quite negligent in doing so.

But, I think it'll backup just about everything, and save you the time of re-downloading your PSN games, re-installing game data, re-downloading rock band tunes, etc. as well as any pictures, tunes, videos you like to keep on the PS3.

My understanding is that certain games do not allow the game data to be transferred to a different PS3 - Rockband for one. And, sad to say, this was what prevented me from sending my 60 Gb back to Sony - I was never able to play GTA4, and their solution was to give you a new PS3. (I wonder if it's too late to try to take advantage of this...).
post #9 of 14 Old 09-29-2008, 11:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

thanks

I've been using my WD 250gb Passport to do full backups. The initial backup took about 1.5hours to complete. All others were faster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjyokel View Post

Yep, you can use an external HDD to fully backup your PS3. Unfortunately, I was quite negligent in doing so.

But, I think it'll backup just about everything, and save you the time of re-downloading your PSN games, re-installing game data, re-downloading rock band tunes, etc. as well as any pictures, tunes, videos you like to keep on the PS3.

My understanding is that certain games do not allow the game data to be transferred to a different PS3 - Rockband for one. And, sad to say, this was what prevented me from sending my 60 Gb back to Sony - I was never able to play GTA4, and their solution was to give you a new PS3. (I wonder if it's too late to try to take advantage of this...).

Game data is not tied to the system. They are tied to the PSN ID account. So if you do a full backup on one system and restore it to another internal hdd, you'll be able to play everything provided you use the same PSN ID to sign into.
post #10 of 14 Old 09-30-2008, 07:25 AM

Quote:

Can I use my maxtor 500 gig external HDD from my pc?
thanks

Yes, you can but it needs to be formated to fat32.
post #11 of 14 Old 09-30-2008, 07:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kekborg View Post

Yes, you can but it needs to be formated to fat32.

So will this erase my existing pc files on my external drive, also what are the steps to do a system backup?
post #12 of 14 Old 09-30-2008, 07:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingShorty View Post

I've been using my WD 250gb Passport to do full backups. The initial backup took about 1.5hours to complete. All others were faster.

Game data is not tied to the system. They are tied to the PSN ID account. So if you do a full backup on one system and restore it to another internal hdd, you'll be able to play everything provided you use the same PSN ID to sign into.

How many gigs to do a full backup?
post #13 of 14 Old 09-30-2008, 08:21 AM

Quote:

So will this erase my existing pc files on my external drive, also what are the steps to do a system backup?

Yes, if you have room you'll want to copy all your files from your external drive onto your pc, do the format to fat32, then copy them back from the pc to your external hard drive (assuming you'll still have room for a ps3 backup). To do the ps3 backup, there is a utility under the system settings (I believe).
post #14 of 14 Old 09-30-2008, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingShorty View Post

Are you sure about this ?

Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page