AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballen420 View Post

Can you rent it?

It's not as hard as people make it out to be. You get frustrated, but you learn from your mistakes. I've yet to have a 'throw the controller at the TV' moment. If you die, you lose souls, that's it. You still have all the items you picked up until the moment you die, you just lose the 'currency' you obtained. And you still have an opportunity to make it back to where you lost the souls and regain them all back.

I was on the fence, bought it, and absolutely love it. I don't typically play through games more then once, but I will with this game just to try out the different classes. It's a more then your money's worth type of game.

Good to hear. I'll definitely be picking this up once I get my fill of Uncharted 2. Been dying to play Demon's Souls since it came out!

AVS Madden League - http://avsmadden.proboards.com

PSN - mrSM1TTY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1770 Old 10-14-2009, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
It seems like a prospective buyer is making the mistake of assuming that the feeling of wanting to throw the controller at your TV overlaps with the feeling of having wasted $60.

After about 37 hours of gameplay, I can pretty much promise you that even if you get that frustrated in death, you won't feel like you've wasted your money. Instead, you'll walk around the room, think about what you did to mess up, and immediately shout out loud, "I MUST GET THOSE SOULS BACK!"

Happy Hunting,

Brandon
post #363 of 1770 Old 10-14-2009, 10:04 AM

Liked: 12
Does the game do a good job of explaining what to do and how to do it? Does the manual have good information? Or is the average person going to be lost and not know what is going on without searching around on the net or buying a guide?

I get for the most part of what is going on with this game but it be nice to read it or have the game explain to you about the souls, lives etc.

post #364 of 1770 Old 10-14-2009, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

There is a tutorial when you begin the game that gives some of the basic combat functions. Then, after you die in the tutorial (yes, you will die), you are sent to the Nexus. In the Nexus there is an entire section with messages that explains aspects of the game (how souls work, messages, stones, magic, etc). And when you pick up items, you can go to your inventory list and actually get an explanation on what the item is and what it's typically used for. I was pleasantly surprised by this.

Having said that, I do keep the Demon's Souls' wiki page up on my laptop while I play this game. I mostly use it to find out what Soul is good for what purpose, and finding out what items can be found on that level.

Brandon
post #365 of 1770 Old 10-14-2009, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 61
When you first start it up it looks pretty complicated, but I'd say, yes, it does a good job of explaining things. It's pretty linear...once you're in a level, and paying attention to the messages left by other players is very helpful.

Sure, I look at some of the wikis occasionally, but I wouldn't have to...I'm just feeding the OCD monster in nabbing all the cool schwag that I may have missed.

------------------------------------
PSN: frankthetoad
post #366 of 1770 Old 10-14-2009, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

What do you do with all the boss souls you collect? I realize you shouldn't 'use' them... but I hear you give them to people to upgrade stuff, but I haven't been successful! (beat the 2-2 demon last night and couldn't figure out how to give it to a blacksmith)
post #367 of 1770 Old 10-14-2009, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Haha, seriously. Although in my case I end up losing them entirely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bplewis24 View Post

Instead, you'll walk around the room, think about what you did to mess up, and immediately shout out loud, "I MUST GET THOSE SOULS BACK!"

Happy Hunting,

Brandon

post #368 of 1770 Old 10-14-2009, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonies View Post

What do you do with all the boss souls you collect? I realize you shouldn't 'use' them... but I hear you give them to people to upgrade stuff, but I haven't been successful! (beat the 2-2 demon last night and couldn't figure out how to give it to a blacksmith)

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
I got stuck doing this last night. You have to keep ending your conversation with Ed the blacksmith, exiting out of the menu screen, and then go back to talk to him. Eventually he'll acknowledge the demon's soul, and open up new upgrading options for you.

post #369 of 1770 Old 10-14-2009, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMLocal175 View Post

Does the game do a good job of explaining what to do and how to do it? Does the manual have good information? Or is the average person going to be lost and not know what is going on without searching around on the net or buying a guide?

I get for the most part of what is going on with this game but it be nice to read it or have the game explain to you about the souls, lives etc.

Here's a good site.

http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/
post #370 of 1770 Old 10-15-2009, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundull View Post

Here's a good site.

http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/

ok so I have these souls, I finally got Ed to talk to me and I gave him firewalker's soul... I have a winged spear +8 but I don't see the scraping spear upgrade anyway? Did I overupgrade my spear and I have to start over? Also I have a Spiderstone (sticky??) short bow +3 and I can't find the lava bow upgrade either... Do I have to have the exact +7 spear and bows to get the soul upgrades unlocked?
post #371 of 1770 Old 10-15-2009, 09:41 AM

Quote:

ok so I have these souls, I finally got Ed to talk to me and I gave him firewalker's soul... I have a winged spear +8 but I don't see the scraping spear upgrade anyway? Did I overupgrade my spear and I have to start over? Also I have a Spiderstone (sticky??) short bow +3 and I can't find the lava bow upgrade either... Do I have to have the exact +7 spear and bows to get the soul upgrades unlocked?

Alot of the upgrades over +8 require a specific soul to upgrade, like a colorless demon soul or a particular boss' soul. The wiki says which one is needed for the upgrade. Not positive but is scraping spear upgrade from the Phalanx soul? Did you consume it or put it in the bank?

PSN - JRCROW
XBOX - jc23263
post #372 of 1770 Old 10-15-2009, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marekv View Post

Alot of the upgrades over +8 require a specific soul to upgrade, like a colorless demon soul or a particular boss' soul. The wiki says which one is needed for the upgrade. Not positive but is scraping spear upgrade from the Phalanx soul? Did you consume it or put it in the bank?

Yeah I have all the souls on my person and the upgrades still won't come up when I talk to Ed... I have
Spoiler  
phalanx, tower knight, firewalker, and dragon god's
on my person and I have not consumed any of them. The only one I consumed
post #373 of 1770 Old 10-15-2009, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 85
For those sitting on the fence about Demon's Souls, just go and get it!

I've put in my first 90 minutes yesterday and I'm hooked on this game. I love the minimalist presentation- no over world map, no button press hints after the tutorial section (which is very short), no objective reminders when you enter a new area. There are no markers for the vendor NPC's, you need to talk to them and figure out what to do ON YOUR OWN.

That's probably what I'm liking the most: there is absolutely no hand-holding by the game while you play. All the hints come from the community via the cool online system, and that's the other feature that has hooked me. Already the user warnings have saved me twice, and found me something I would have missed. The other player "ghosts" running around is fun to watch, and can scare you when you're trying to check your equipment in a quiet corner and someone runs up on you. It's also fun to see the message pop up when your hint/warning gets a positive rating.

This game is a must have, or at least a must try. If you do play it then definitely go online or you'll miss half the fun.

PSN: CrashLanding (please ID requests as AVS)
post #374 of 1770 Old 10-15-2009, 10:22 AM

Quote:

Unfortunately, you do have to have the winged spear at +7, no higher, to get the scraping spear upgrade

You can use Meltstone to downgrade your weapon, but it takes it all the way back to its original form.

Hope this helps!
post #375 of 1770 Old 10-15-2009, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emulsionman View Post

Unfortunately, you do have to have the winged spear at +7, no higher, to get the scraping spear upgrade

You can use Meltstone to downgrade your weapon, but it takes it all the way back to its original form.

Hope this helps!

Well that's stupid!

So is the upgrade worth it? I can't seem to find any stats on the scraping spear or lava bow
post #376 of 1770 Old 10-15-2009, 11:14 AM

Liked: 13
IGN has put up a game guide for this if anyone's interested. As a last resort of course

Cheers,

Jeff

SXRD/Denon/OPPO/HTPC/PS4/PS3/XB360/NHT/HSU
PSN ID: Krondorian
XBL ID: Midkemian
West Coast
Twitter: @Krondo_jd
post #377 of 1770 Old 10-15-2009, 12:55 PM
Advanced Member

what's the best place to purchase arrows (not bolts) early on? I'm only on 1-2, BTW.

XBOX: terryb28
PSN: terryb30
post #378 of 1770 Old 10-15-2009, 01:03 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by terryb28 View Post

what's the best place to purchase arrows (not bolts) early on? I'm only on 1-2, BTW.

I think your only option at that point is the blacksmith in the Nexus. You'll get a better option at some point during 2-2, also in the Nexus.

- Jer
post #379 of 1770 Old 10-15-2009, 03:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhaines View Post

I think your only option at that point is the blacksmith in the Nexus. You'll get a better option at some point during 2-2, also in the Nexus.

- Jer

yeah, that seems to be about it. needed 150 or so to take out a 1-2 enemy.

XBOX: terryb28
PSN: terryb30
post #380 of 1770 Old 10-15-2009, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by terryb28 View Post

yeah, that seems to be about it. needed 150 or so to take out a 1-2 enemy.

Mmmmm...a nice long fight

Chris Schempp
How to post links to Amazon.com Products.
PSN - Mandos_eD
post #381 of 1770 Old 10-15-2009, 06:47 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetoad View Post

When you first start it up it looks pretty complicated, but I'd say, yes, it does a good job of explaining things. It's pretty linear...once you're in a level, and paying attention to the messages left by other players is very helpful.

Sure, I look at some of the wikis occasionally, but I wouldn't have to...I'm just feeding the OCD monster in nabbing all the cool schwag that I may have missed.

cheater!

PSN ID: frank_and_beans
post #382 of 1770 Old 10-15-2009, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You need to upgrade the compound short bow to +7 to get the option to upgrade to the Lava Bow. After that, you have to trade in the Hard Demon Soul to get the upgrade.

Brandon
post #383 of 1770 Old 10-16-2009, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krzykrl View Post

cheater!

Hi Beans!!!

post #384 of 1770 Old 10-16-2009, 05:53 AM
AVS Special Member

I finally got the game, bought the asian version from a friend for $30, I havent had mush time to play it or read up on it on wiki, but I like the game, its just confusing...

The longer you play the more you'll figure out I'm guessing. Kinda of odd to se other peeps online running around in your game, but thats what sets this game apart.

Do you get anything for touching a bloodspot and bringing someone back?

xbox live GT: xXmaximus prime
PSN: maximus_rr
I have to go, I have a meeting with the bobs, uhhh I wasnt aware of any meeting......yeah they called me at home
post #385 of 1770 Old 10-16-2009, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximuslcd View Post

Do you get anything for touching a bloodspot and bringing someone back?

You're not bringing anyone back. Touching a bloodstain allows you to see the last 5 seconds of someone's life. It's supposed to be an indicator of threats ahead. A way for you to see someone else's mistake so you don't do the same.

post #386 of 1770 Old 10-16-2009, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetoad View Post

You're not bringing anyone back. Touching a bloodstain allows you to see the last 5 seconds of someone's life. It's supposed to be an indicator of threats ahead. A way for you to see someone else's mistake so you don't do the same.

Ahhhh I see. Thank You. I plan on putting some hours into this over the weekend. I hope this isnt a spoiler: In the tutorial level, when you die, how do you get back there so you can be full health again and not soul form half health? I have to touch the blood spot where I died correct?

xbox live GT: xXmaximus prime
PSN: maximus_rr
I have to go, I have a meeting with the bobs, uhhh I wasnt aware of any meeting......yeah they called me at home
post #387 of 1770 Old 10-16-2009, 07:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bplewis24 View Post

You need to upgrade the compound short bow to +7 to get the option to upgrade to the Lava Bow. After that, you have to trade in the Hard Demon Soul to get the upgrade.

Brandon

I have the compound short bow leveled up to +5, but I just picked up a compound long bow. Should i abandon leveling up the short bow and start with the long bow, or is there not much of a difference?

Gamertag: Fargus
Playstation ID: Fargus79
post #388 of 1770 Old 10-16-2009, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

So what level should I attempt 1-4 at? I'm scurred to try it!

And where'd you find the long compound bow?
post #389 of 1770 Old 10-16-2009, 07:58 AM
Advanced Member

Long compound bow is an item on a dead guy in 4-1. I'm kinda jumping around to all of the first levels of each world to get my knight leveled up. The only bosses Ive beaten are 1-1 and 1-2. (along with the red dragon and mini boss of 4-1)

Gamertag: Fargus
Playstation ID: Fargus79
post #390 of 1770 Old 10-16-2009, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

I'll have to look for that long compound bow since I made a 'sticky' short bow +3 which is awesome and I really dont' want to go backwards with that one.

Is 4-1 the level with the ass kickin skeletons? Those guys are a pain!

And i've defeated bosses in 1-1,1-2,1-3, 2-1,2-2, and 2-3, and 3-1 and I'm only about soul level 43 or so. 3-1 is easy I solo'd it in soul form
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page