Demon's Souls... an exclusive PS3 action-RPG - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 1770 Old 10-19-2009, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Not sure if it is been posted or not but there is a way around the whole dying thing. If you ever die, while it shows the big banner on the screen that says you died, quickly press and hold the PS3's controllers main button and select quit game. Next time you start it you will be standing at the last checkpoint, full body, full health, all items, all souls. The game does not save your death until you are revived as a spirit so you have a couple seconds to skip the whole death and try it a again.

Been posted all over the Internet and I tried it, works every time. Not that I need it or anything.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1770 Old 10-19-2009, 07:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

Not sure if it is been posted or not but there is a way around the whole dying thing. If you ever die, while it shows the big banner on the screen that says you died, quickly press and hold the PS3's controllers main button and select quit game. Next time you start it you will be standing at the last checkpoint, full body, full health, all items, all souls. The game does not save your death until you are revived as a spirit so you have a couple seconds to skip the whole death and try it a again.

Been posted all over the Internet and I tried it, works every time. Not that I need it or anything.

Careful with using that. I never used it myself, but I have heard tales of people getting their saves corrupted doing that.
post #453 of 1770 Old 10-20-2009, 12:47 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I just beat the game but am feeling very unfulfilled. Either I leveled too much or the game seems to lose its difficulty halfway. What's most disappointing is that I was initially led to believe that each level was a real level with a real boss at the end. It's more like the first level of each world is the main level and the handful of following levels end up being glorified hallways or staircases leading up to fake bosses. I don't think I leveled up any more than I should have on an average playthrough, this being my first time, and spent at the most an hour grinding some lance guys for only a few levels. I ended up at around mid 60s soul level hunter with 1300 life using a heater shield+8 and winged spear+8 and did simple block and poke tactics. Is the shield+spear combo too powerful, making the game more of a cakewalk than it was intended to be? I was only able to dabble a small bit with a base magic level of 10 near the end of the game, but I could kill tons of stuff with just soul arrow alone at the later stages, so magic seems overpowered too. So is it because people are using swords, axes, etc. that is making the game hard for them?
post #454 of 1770 Old 10-20-2009, 05:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

Play as Royalty. Trust me. They get soul arrow (kills almost everything in one hit, everything else in two) and a ring that regenerates magic. If you have patience (sometimes need to wait in a corner for magic to regen.) it makes the game actually easy. My brother was trying all the classes. Couldn't make it through the 1st level with anyone (he is horrible at video games). Told him about this, he made it through level 1 without dying once. Makes the game actually to easy if you ask me.

I skipped the redy eye knight path and went the other way, made it to where there are 2 huge dragons sitting on a hill...I went the other way and tried to go across the bridge..lots of guys on the bridge...surely killing me..I'll try again tonight..just glad I made it farher. If I cant get through there tonight I may start over and try the royal...thanks

xbox live GT: xXmaximus prime
PSN: maximus_rr
I have to go, I have a meeting with the bobs, uhhh I wasnt aware of any meeting......yeah they called me at home
post #455 of 1770 Old 10-20-2009, 05:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwolf0 View Post

I just beat the game but am feeling very unfulfilled. Either I leveled too much or the game seems to lose its difficulty halfway. What's most disappointing is that I was initially led to believe that each level was a real level with a real boss at the end. It's more like the first level of each world is the main level and the handful of following levels end up being glorified hallways or staircases leading up to fake bosses. I don't think I leveled up any more than I should have on an average playthrough, this being my first time, and spent at the most an hour grinding some lance guys for only a few levels. I ended up at around mid 60s soul level hunter with 1300 life using a heater shield+8 and winged spear+8 and did simple block and poke tactics. Is the shield+spear combo too powerful, making the game more of a cakewalk than it was intended to be? I was only able to dabble a small bit with a base magic level of 10 near the end of the game, but I could kill tons of stuff with just soul arrow alone at the later stages, so magic seems overpowered too. So is it because people are using swords, axes, etc. that is making the game hard for them?

Well, I think people overplayed the difficulty of the game. Some boards are definitely more difficult than others, and the loadout you have will determine which boards those are for you. I think the game isn't as difficult as it is punishing. You screw up, you get punished. I think that's what people were calling "difficult".

I'm level 81 with an emphasis on magic. Very few enemies are more than 1 hit kills for me. Still, I'm so engrossed with this game it's sickening. I play A LOT of MP with e-buddies, and am working on getting all of the upgrade trophies and WT drops/sidequests. That's difficult.

Now that you've beaten the game, start over on New Game+. You keep your soul level, weapons, etc., but the difficulty is ramped up. I haven't gotten to that point yet (savoring the game and delaying a body battle in 1-4), but I imagine the difficulty would be more to your liking.

------------------------------------
PSN: frankthetoad
post #456 of 1770 Old 10-20-2009, 05:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetoad View Post

Now that you've beaten the game, start over on New Game+. You keep your soul level, weapons, etc., but the difficulty is ramped up. I haven't gotten to that point yet (savoring the game and delaying a body battle in 1-4), but I imagine the difficulty would be more to your liking.

Everything I've read says the game really begins once you finish your first playthrough. My understanding is it becomes a lot more challenging.

It leaves you with a tough choice though, keep playing with the same character, or start over and experience a new character. I can see myself wanting to try something new when it comes time.

XBL & PSN - Harpua77
post #457 of 1770 Old 10-20-2009, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

as hard of a time that I have had with this first level I just cant stop playing the game, it is that good. I look forward to finally putting this first level behind me and moving on to bigger and better things.

I have to go, I have a meeting with the bobs, uhhh I wasnt aware of any meeting......yeah they called me at home
post #458 of 1770 Old 10-20-2009, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
After baiting out the first few guys on the bridge and killing them, I rolled past everyone else to get to the other side. You can make a quick right hand turn at the end of the bridge and take care of anyone that followed you. RIGHT after the bridge you pull a lever and get to the end of the level!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximuslcd View Post

I skipped the redy eye knight path and went the other way, made it to where there are 2 huge dragons sitting on a hill...I went the other way and tried to go across the bridge..lots of guys on the bridge...surely killing me..I'll try again tonight..just glad I made it farher. If I cant get through there tonight I may start over and try the royal...thanks

post #459 of 1770 Old 10-20-2009, 08:56 AM

You can also walk far enough to wake up the dragon and then back off while his fire kills everyone.
post #460 of 1770 Old 10-20-2009, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Completely forgot about that. Definitely do this. Just roll past the last couple archers and sword guy who don't get burned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoch6599 View Post

You can also walk far enough to wake up the dragon and then back off while his fire kills everyone.

post #461 of 1770 Old 10-20-2009, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Sweet! Thanks guys. I am so ready to play this tonight..gotta wait on the kids to go to bed and its Sons Of Anarchy...good thing I have it set to DVR.
I have to get past this first level.

post #462 of 1770 Old 10-20-2009, 05:14 PM
Advanced Member

Been loving DS so far, but slight gripe: retracing your steps isn't always exactly tension-filled fun; it can be downright boring. While I applaud the designers for making a very challenging game, dying deep into a level and having to fight the same low level enemies over again is really dull. Case in point: died on the 2-1 (mini?) boss, had to fight those dim-witted mine workers all over again. That's not fun; it's just plain tedious. Oh well, not a huge price to pay for an otherwise awesome game.

XBOX: terryb28
PSN: terryb30
post #463 of 1770 Old 10-20-2009, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Those mine workers drop some good ores that you will need to upgrade later. You could always look at it that way . And there is a short cut on 2-1, you aren't too far from it.
post #464 of 1770 Old 10-20-2009, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Yes, there is a shortcut. However, as was alluded to, having to restart levels often allows you to stack up on consumables and--assuming you make it back to get your souls--doubles your soul count for that level. I know it may seem tedious at times, but it really pays off down the road. Especially in the 2nd world, where those chunks of stone begin to get really scarce by the time you need to upgrade to the fabled weapons of the game.

Brandon
post #465 of 1770 Old 10-20-2009, 10:16 PM

World Tendency seriously needs to be fixed. Resets to neutral and at times, acts wonky. Case in point: Yes, I like many of you have died many times. However, I am careful. Never have I been in body form while doing a world, except for once, and I had two blue phantoms help me take down the boss of world 2 with out a hitch.

So I beat two bosses of world 1, and still not at pure white for the event. Even helped others during the 1-2 boss before I even did it myself so I could get souls and points.

Now world 2, I beat the first boss and I got pure white, got the event in 2-2.

More mind boggling, world 4... have yet to beat that one because the damn black katana skeleton kills me in one quick two hit combo off the bat. My stone in the status screen is shining really bright as if I had pure white, unlike world 1 which I still don;t have and world 5, which I have not even attempted yet, which are both not shining and dim.

It's frustrating.

Side note, anyone have any tips for the black katana skeletons?
post #466 of 1770 Old 10-21-2009, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Fire works really well on them, as does the dragon sword found in 2-2.
post #467 of 1770 Old 10-21-2009, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdwright77 View Post

Fire works really well on them, as does the dragon sword found in 2-2.

Dragon Sword on 2-2?

XBL & PSN - Harpua77
post #468 of 1770 Old 10-21-2009, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballen420 View Post

Dragon Sword on 2-2?

post #469 of 1770 Old 10-21-2009, 09:46 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Im lost on 3-2. How do you get to the Swamp? All the walkthrough's say there is a cage you get in and it takes you down, but I cant find it anywhere.

Gamertag: Fargus
Playstation ID: Fargus79
post #470 of 1770 Old 10-21-2009, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargus777 View Post

Im lost on 3-2. How do you get to the Swamp? All the walkthrough's say there is a cage you get in and it takes you down, but I cant find it anywhere.

When you are near the very top of one of the pillars, you end up running into Yurt who is trapped in a cage. After rescuing him, I took that cage down to the swamp.

Brandon
post #471 of 1770 Old 10-21-2009, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bplewis24 View Post

When you are near the very top of one of the pillars, you end up running into Yurt who is trapped in a cage. After rescuing him, I took that cage down to the swamp.

Brandon

Information about Yurt - Spoiler Warning
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
You should kill Yurt at this point or he will start to kill NPCs in the Nexus
post #472 of 1770 Old 10-21-2009, 12:51 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bplewis24 View Post

Brandon

Im at the top of the pillar you break the first chain at, but im assuming its a different pillar.

Gamertag: Fargus
Playstation ID: Fargus79
post #473 of 1770 Old 10-21-2009, 01:02 PM

I spoke with the manager from Best Buy about price matching the "buy 2 get 1 free" sale that Toys R Us had going on, and he said they would honor it.

I bought Uncharted 2, Batman AA, and got Demon's Souls free. I tell ya, Demon's Souls is an awesome game. I haven't even opened batman and only played about 10 minutes of Uncharted. I have hooked on DS.

I just cleared 1-1 taking my sweet time and collecting souls. I have ran 1-1 more times than I can count and I don't get tired of it... wow, this game is awesome... this is speaking of just the first level.

psn: Avious
post #474 of 1770 Old 10-21-2009, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 54
I really need to stop reading this thread. I bought the game this week-end but didn't play it, I need to finish GTA4 first (I'm on the last mission, so maybe tonight ) and then get hooked on DS. Can't wait
post #475 of 1770 Old 10-21-2009, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 78
I should get my copy from Amazon today, i traded in Batman AA for it, which is fitting in some way.

Now playing: TLoU PS4
Recently Finished: Watch Dogs, Southpark: Stick of Truth, Infamous: SS
PSN & XBL: Scuzzlebutt33
post #476 of 1770 Old 10-22-2009, 05:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 54
WOW! Just started this game last night, played 1 hour, got the Cling Ring and headed back to the Nexu and quit It was pretty hard to drop the controller and go to bed, already hooked

This game is awesome so far. Just have some questions I'm not really sure about right now :

1-To upgrade my stats, I need to beat the first boss before I can do so in the Nexus right?

2-Items can't be sold, but how do I get rid of them? Instead of just putting them in my "stash" (the guy in the Nexus). Just drop them on the ground?

3- I was unable to equip Old Ragged clothes I found on the ground with my Knight, any ideas why? It's been bothering me since I couldn't find stats or requirement on them

4-Does breaking the boxes and stuff on the ground provide loot? Like in D2 and other RPGs? Or I shouldn't bother and waste stamina if there isn't a yellow glow?

Sorry if those sounds like noob questions, didn't play long enough last night

I really need to practice my Parry (L2) timing for Riposte. Not very good at it right now
post #477 of 1770 Old 10-22-2009, 05:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashboard View Post

WOW! Just started this game last night, played 1 hour, got the Cling Ring and headed back to the Nexu and quit It was pretty hard to drop the controller and go to bed, already hooked

This game is awesome so far. Just have some questions I'm not really sure about right now :

1-To upgrade my stats, I need to beat the first boss before I can do so in the Nexus right?

Yes, NPC's will appear in the Nexus, and the Maiden in Black is the one that you can upgrade your stats through.

2-Items can't be sold, but how do I get rid of them? Instead of just putting them in my "stash" (the guy in the Nexus). Just drop them on the ground?

You can just drop them. Stuff you're not going to use isn't worth stashing.

3- I was unable to equip Old Ragged clothes I found on the ground with my Knight, any ideas why? It's been bothering me since I couldn't find stats or requirement on them

You should be able to wear them. Are you going through the Equipment selection screen, unequiping what you have on, and then equiping the rags? I would think the rags are inferior to what you have already. You can press square to see what the stats are.

4-Does breaking the boxes and stuff on the ground provide loot? Like in D2 and other RPGs? Or I shouldn't bother and waste stamina if there isn't a yellow glow?

No loot in boxes. Sometimes you'll find loot behind a box, but most times you'll notice the glow first.

Sorry if those sounds like noob questions, didn't play long enough last night

I really need to practice my Parry (L2) timing for Riposte. Not very good at it right now

Good luck!

XBL & PSN - Harpua77
post #478 of 1770 Old 10-22-2009, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:

Yes.

Quote:

Yes. Just drop 'em.

Quote:

They're for female characters only. Clothing is by sex- male, female, unisex

Quote:

Nope. You might break something and see a drop behind it...but you should be able to see the drop's glow before you bust stuff up. Your stamina builds up fast; I love destroying the entire level. Rolling through boxes, crates, and barrels is extremely satisying.

------------------------------------
PSN: frankthetoad
post #479 of 1770 Old 10-22-2009, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Finally beat the first boss last night on 1-1...wow I feel better! Question: I never went back and got the bastard sword...is it worth going back for?
Cant wait to get home tonight and play some more..I am totally hooked on this game.

Leveling through the maiden in black was kind of confusing, and talking to the momument was confusing also..but I figured it out. This game has elements to it like no other game I have ever played.

post #480 of 1770 Old 10-22-2009, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

The bastard sword depends on your character, and you can go back and get it at any time. I think it requires level 18 strength, so it might not be worth it now if that hasn't been your focus.

XBL & PSN - Harpua77
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page