Demon's Souls... an exclusive PS3 action-RPG - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 1770 Old 10-26-2009, 05:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
if you set down the path of upgrading a weapon to quality/moon/etc., can you ever go back to the regular path? my worry is that I won't be able to upgrade my scimitar to the sword of searching if I go down the quality path.

XBOX: terryb28
PSN: terryb30
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 1770 Old 10-26-2009, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 61
^I believe the Sword of Searching can be upgraded from many different swords.

------------------------------------
PSN: frankthetoad
post #543 of 1770 Old 10-26-2009, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
You can upgrade from different sword types, but his question is about going on a different path than the regular +7 upgrade. He needs to stick on that path if he wants the LSoS eventually.

Brandon

Brandon 

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #544 of 1770 Old 10-26-2009, 08:59 PM

Hm... Question for the Pro's out there.

What's "Good" armor? I'm still stuck with the beginning thief armor at level 3x. Does it make a large difference? The wiki says that some of the armor has slower stamina regen (my main problem right now)... How significant is it?

On another note... Found the Crescent Falcion. That thing puts my +3 secret dagger to shame (aiming for Fatal). I understand why I had to cheese the 1-2 Boss now (in fact, pretty much had to cheese all the bosses I've met so far... 1-2, 2-1, 4-1 mini). Scraping Spear... Worth it?

Once you go down an upgrade path, you can't go down another. You *can* by melting the weapon down with that lava ore thingy from 2-1, but that's just a waste...
post #545 of 1770 Old 10-26-2009, 10:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Armor depends on your build. I'm level 98 melee with faith protection spells (22 Vit, 15 int, 40 end, 27 str, 28 dex, 10 magic, 24 faith, 12 luck), but use the black leather armor because it is super light and has one of the fastest stamina recharges of all the armors, which is something I need because I use the Meat Cleaver and Large Sword of Moonlight. I will try to sport King Doran's armor if I can hold it, but since Ostrava disappeared from my game I have to wait until NG+ to find out if I like it. I started out as a hunter with regular leather armor, and I went with something weaker and faster as the game progressed.

In short, I think a strong shield and powerful weapons are better than heavy armor.

PSN: PrankT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #546 of 1770 Old 10-26-2009, 11:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Scraping Spear is only good if you want to be jerky when you play a black phantom, or play as a black phantom. It is weak, but destroys the other players equipment. I made one to use the Lead Demon Soul, and perhaps use in retaliation against a Scraping Spear user. When I played the Monk on 3-3, the black phantom used a Scraping Spear and it was fairly annoying. Strong characters will overcome the Scraping Spear.

I should note that I'm not a pro. Just stating my opinion based on black phantom encounters.

post #547 of 1770 Old 10-26-2009, 11:56 PM

Pro enough for me. Thanks for the advice.

We'll see how far low armor and a dagger will get me. 4-1 miniboss OHKOed me so...
post #548 of 1770 Old 10-27-2009, 05:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bplewis24 View Post

You can upgrade from different sword types, but his question is about going on a different path than the regular +7 upgrade. He needs to stick on that path if he wants the LSoS eventually.

Brandon

But don't most of the stones upgrades stop at +5...except for hardstone and sharpstone...and maybe greystone? I'm pretty sure all of them do.

If you want to go for one of the +7's, you'd need to stick with hardstone/sharpstone/greystone.

But I see what you're saying...do not diverge to the Quality, Crushing, Fatal, etc. paths if you want to get to +6, +7, or +8.

post #549 of 1770 Old 10-27-2009, 05:27 AM
AVS Special Member

I use the assassin's armor exclusively...the black leather. Super light. I like to be nimble. I've entertained switching it out for certain battles, but have never done so. I guess old habits die hard.

post #550 of 1770 Old 10-27-2009, 07:06 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
How do you do the Spoiler thing? Needless to say, this might be a spoiler....

Any advice for Penetrator? The first time I fought him, the help showed up, but he was dead pretty fast and then I got my butt handed to me. Next time I tried to fight him, I got maybe 10% of his health off before I was dead.

Gamertag: Fargus
Playstation ID: Fargus79
post #551 of 1770 Old 10-27-2009, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargus777 View Post

How do you do the Spoiler thing? Needless to say, this might be a spoiler....

Any advice for Penetrator? The first time I fought him, the help showed up, but he was dead pretty fast and then I got my butt handed to me. Next time I tried to fight him, I got maybe 10% of his health off before I was dead.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
The best advice for the Penetrator is to not kill Biorr when you rescue him. He'll keep the Penetrator occupied and you can make short work of the boss.

Spoilers: Start tag (without the spaces) [ spoiler ], end tag (without the spaces) [ / spoiler ]

post #552 of 1770 Old 10-27-2009, 07:31 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetoad View Post

Spoiler  
The best advice for the Penetrator is to not kill Biorr when you rescue him. He'll keep the Penetrator occupied and you can make short work of the boss.

Spoilers: Start tag (without the spaces) [ spoiler ], end tag (without the spaces) [ / spoiler ]

Spoiler  
Biorr was the help I was referring to, he was killed off early in the fight by Penetrator and now Im having to fight him alone

Gamertag: Fargus
Playstation ID: Fargus79
post #553 of 1770 Old 10-27-2009, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

I think you'll find that a lot of big bosses can one hit kill.

Spoiler  
When I fought him I went through the tunnels to get behind him. I put on the thief ring and walked up and chopped him in the back. Then I ran away and fell in the hole. He turns around and assums his regular position, so you can repeat the process until dead. Takes a while without a strong weapon...takes a while with one too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DruzzutT View Post

Pro enough for me. Thanks for the advice.

We'll see how far low armor and a dagger will get me. 4-1 miniboss OHKOed me so...

post #554 of 1770 Old 10-27-2009, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

I got to the boss in body form and summoned a couple blue phantoms. Maybe you can use the Stone of Ephemeral Eyes and look for some phantom help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargus777 View Post

Spoiler  
Biorr was the help I was referring to, he was killed off early in the fight by Penetrator and now Im having to fight him alone

post #555 of 1770 Old 10-27-2009, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Spoiler  
Crazy, I don't think I've ever seen Biorr killed by the Penetrator.

post #556 of 1770 Old 10-27-2009, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfoltz View Post

Scraping Spear is only good if you want to be jerky when you play a black phantom, or play as a black phantom. It is weak, but destroys the other players equipment. I made one to use the Lead Demon Soul, and perhaps use in retaliation against a Scraping Spear user. When I played the Monk on 3-3, the black phantom used a Scraping Spear and it was fairly annoying. Strong characters will overcome the Scraping Spear.

I should note that I'm not a pro. Just stating my opinion based on black phantom encounters.

So what is the best option for a spear user? Just upgrade the Winged Spear to +10?
post #557 of 1770 Old 10-27-2009, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoch6599 View Post

So what is the best option for a spear user? Just upgrade the Winged Spear to +10?

Yes
post #558 of 1770 Old 10-27-2009, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

As Sonies said, Winged Spear is the best spear as a weapon. However, if you are open to other pole weapons you can give the Mirdan Hammer a shot. It does high damage and is fast when held with both hands.

Quote:

post #559 of 1770 Old 10-27-2009, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfoltz View Post

As Sonies said, Winged Spear is the best spear as a weapon. However, if you are open to other pole weapons you can give the Mirdan Hammer a shot. It does high damage and is fast when held with both hands.

The only reason why I don't like the Mirdan hammer is because of how it's wielded. The striking motions aren't the same as with the winged spear, because you swing it more than you stab/jab with it. Because of this, when fighting in confined spaces I would often hit the walls without hitting the enemy and would be open to a counter.

Brandon

Brandon 

post #560 of 1770 Old 10-27-2009, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Very true. More swing and less poke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bplewis24 View Post

The only reason why I don't like the Mirdan hammer is because of how it's wielded. The striking motions aren't the same as with the winged spear, because you swing it more than you stab/jab with it. Because of this, when fighting in confined spaces I would often hit the walls without hitting the enemy and would be open to a counter.

Brandon

post #561 of 1770 Old 10-28-2009, 06:54 AM

Very frustrating night last night... About 10 tries on 4-2 and I never even made it to the boss. Then I went to 3-1 and walked around there for about an hour without ever really figuring out where to go.
post #562 of 1770 Old 10-28-2009, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

3-1 is tricky. I know it pretty well because I've been through there a few times. I suggest using your blue stone and helping somebody navigate the level. Or summon somebody to help you. 2 heads are often better than one, and chances are they will know where to go when you dont'.

Brandon

Brandon 

post #563 of 1770 Old 10-28-2009, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Very frustrating night last night... About 10 tries on 4-2 and I never even made it to the boss. Then I went to 3-1 and walked around there for about an hour without ever really figuring out where to go.

3-1 has that annoying staircase that is really hard to see unless you know exactly where its at since its a hard left you need to make and its dark and very easy to miss.
post #564 of 1770 Old 10-28-2009, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:

I feel your pain, last night was horrible so I switched game at one point

I went to 5-2 to get the Large Sword of Moonlight. Died from the dude running around with the Meat Cleaver, lost 14k souls. Then the big guy killed me couple of times since I didn't know you can't roll in this "water" (don't want to spoil anything ). Anyways I was at the location of the Sword but got killed and after a night of getting killed (at least 10 times) called it a quit.

I'll get it tonight Don't know if my new approach will work better. Maybe I was beeing too confident.. keeping my Poison disease only relying on my Hp regenerating ring...
post #565 of 1770 Old 10-28-2009, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

5-2 was pretty tough for me as well. Fighting in the poison swamp is difficult when your character relies on endurance and dexterity as opposed to a guy with heavy armor and a big sword.

Brandon

Brandon 

post #566 of 1770 Old 10-28-2009, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Great night tonight compared to last night

Got the Large Sword of Moonlight, beated the Adjudicator and farmed the Reaper a little (raised Faith to 24 and Intelligence to 14)

Wanted to raise Intelligence to 18 to use Talisman of Beasts but I saw the requirement to get this item... might forget it Would have been useful for my Knight/Paladin build
post #567 of 1770 Old 10-28-2009, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashboard View Post

Wanted to raise Intelligence to 18 to use Talisman of Beasts but I saw the requirement to get this item... might forget it Would have been useful for my Knight/Paladin build

If you're a miracle and spell user, it's worth it. Just make sure that after each suicide in body form, you return to the Nexus. Otherwise the blackened WT might not register. I made the mistake of not doing this and wasted 11 ephemeral stones getting Pure Black WT for Stonefang tunnel. Also, I had made the mistake of killing Armor Spider, Flamelurker & Dragon God first and had raised the WT to nearly Pure White.
post #568 of 1770 Old 10-28-2009, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

You can get the talisman 2 ways.

Spoiler  
1. Pure black tendency on world 2. Kill black phantom on 2-2 to get it.

2. Get black character tendency and kill Ostrava as part of Mephistopheles challenges.

I did part 1 because Ostrava disappeared from my game after 1-2. I didn't even try option 2 until the end of the game, to make sure I didn't need anything from the people you need to kill.

post #569 of 1770 Old 10-29-2009, 05:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikazaru View Post

If you're a miracle and spell user, it's worth it. Just make sure that after each suicide in body form, you return to the Nexus. Otherwise the blackened WT might not register. I made the mistake of not doing this and wasted 11 ephemeral stones getting Pure Black WT for Stonefang tunnel. Also, I had made the mistake of killing Armor Spider, Flamelurker & Dragon God first and had raised the WT to nearly Pure White.

I'm making sometype of Paladin with Miracles and some spells (enchant weapon, protection,..) Might have to get the Talisman.

I'll try tfoltz ways... might need to understand the WT thing first Don't know what my tendency is right now but I've killed Phalanx, Tower Knight, Spider, Adjudicator, Leechmonger,.... At least I only downed 1 boss in 2-X Might give it a try tonight!
post #570 of 1770 Old 10-29-2009, 06:54 AM

While I think this game is fantastic, I am finding it brutally unforgiving in some aspects. Not the difficulty of the game, however, but the inability to undo mistakes.

Examples are when I consumed the yellow demons soul accidentally when I meant to consume just a hero's soul and now I can't get a spell I wanted. Also, I fell on a vendor in 5-1 and she now just wants to attack me. I attacked patches because he was a jerk not realizing he was a valuable vendor. Although it felt good killing him because he's such a j-hole.

Anyway, that was just my 2 cents - certainly I'm not the only one who's made a dumb mistake or two that has hurt?

Expert in training ;)
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page