post #61 of 1770 Old 09-16-2009, 06:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

GOOD

I'm really sick of this "I need to beat a game first time through without any problems" mentality. Games used to, you know, be challenging. They used to penalize you for being reckless.

I couldn't begin to tell you how many times I died in RE1 both from enemies and from situational traps, only to be whisked back to my last save room. It made that final boss battle, and the end, all the more rewarding.

If you don't have the time for such a game, pass.

You're gonna love this game.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 1770 Old 09-16-2009, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubBucket View Post

Oh, it's entirely action based. There's no watching going on here. There's a light and a strong attack button that perform different combos based on the weapon your holding. There's also the all important block button that, when timed right, can be used to counter-attack.

This game is about as far from a button masher as it gets. The combos are only 3 hits long, but mostly you'll just be attacking one swing at a time. It's much more about positioning and timing. And honestly, this game is fairly light on it's RPG aspect. If you master the movement, blocking, and attacking, you could get through the whole game without "leveling up". That's not to say that upgrading your strength, magic abilities, and weapons isn't fun and rewarding.

How does the loot system work? You mention that you could get through the game without leveling. Explain the leveling/upgrade system if you could. I'm assuming there are better weapons to be had later on or do you just upgrade your starting weapons?

thanks!
post #63 of 1770 Old 09-16-2009, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 188
One thing people should realize is that there is a co-op help system where dead players can go online and leave clues for other players about dangers they know are ahead. I wonder, is that really effective in helping people get through some of the challenges, or is it more of a gimmick?

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

post #64 of 1770 Old 09-16-2009, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

One thing people should realize is that there is a co-op help system where dead players can go online and leave clues for other players about dangers they know are ahead. I wonder, is that really effective in helping people get through some of the challenges, or is it more of a gimmick?

It seems like you can put anything on the notes, so you don't always know if someone is actually telling the truth or not. They could say "the coast is clear" or something like that when there is actually a monster waiting in the shadows getting ready to eat your heart. But, if I'm not mistaken, if you leave good notes that actually help people, they can give it a positive rating which would be helpful to the next person that comes across it b/c it would be more trustworthy. It sounds like the online gameplay is more integrated into the single player experience, instead of the typical deathmatch types of online modes.

People that've played the game, you can correct me if I'm wrong about this.

This and Uncharted 2 coming out within a week of each other! I don't have enough hours in my day for that!

AVS Madden League - http://avsmadden.proboards.com

PSN - mrSM1TTY
post #65 of 1770 Old 09-16-2009, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by $mitty View Post

It seems like you can put anything on the notes, so you don't always know if someone is actually telling the truth or not. They could say "the coast is clear" or something like that when there is actually a monster waiting in the shadows getting ready to eat your heart. But, if I'm not mistaken, if you leave good notes that actually help people, they can give it a positive rating which would be helpful to the next person that comes across it b/c it would be more trustworthy. It sounds like the online gameplay is more integrated into the single player experience, instead of the typical deathmatch types of online modes.

People that've played the game, you can correct me if I'm wrong about this.

This and Uncharted 2 coming out within a week of each other! I don't have enough hours in my day for that!

You're right in some ways. If you note receives positive feedback (ie you're helping people) You actually heal while you're playing. Or so I've heard, I didn't think my advice would help anyone. But there is also deathmatches, you can invade another players universe as a "black phantom" and "take his soul". If you kill him and "take his soul" you become human again and can play with your full life bar until you die again. LOTS of fun. I love mercing a black phantom that invades my game. You can opt out of this by using a stone in your inventory that will banish an invading black phantom without a fight...but if you do, what fun are you? Also you can put a blue mark on the ground that other players can go to and summon you into their game as a "blue phantom" and play coop. This explain everything?
post #66 of 1770 Old 09-16-2009, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpggamer View Post

You're right in some ways. If you note receives positive feedback (ie you're helping people) You actually heal while you're playing. Or so I've heard, I didn't think my advice would help anyone. But there is also deathmatches, you can invade another players universe as a "black phantom" and "take his soul". If you kill him and "take his soul" you become human again and can play with your full life bar until you die again. LOTS of fun. I love mercing a black phantom that invades my game. You can opt out of this by using a stone in your inventory that will banish an invading black phantom without a fight...but if you do, what fun are you? Also you can put a blue mark on the ground that other players can go to and summon you into their game as a "blue phantom" and play coop. This explain everything?

Yeah! Sounds completely original compared to anything I'm familiar with or have heard of for that matter. Does it seem like there's a pretty big online community? I'm assuming only Japanese servers are supporting it right now?

PSN - mrSM1TTY
post #67 of 1770 Old 09-16-2009, 10:19 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Yes, there is a big community. I LOVE ambushing Black Phantoms who invade my game. If you use the Thief's Ring and Graverobbers Ring (Black Phantoms have NO idea where you are at). I just wait and ambush them at a Pinch Point. The other cool aspect about CO-Op is if you have a buddy playing you can hook up and exchange weapons, stones, armor with each other. I did this the other nite. My buddy needed Moonlight Stones and I need Chunks of Hardstone, we hooked up and traded with each other. The other funny thing is when a Black Phantom invades and there are two Blue Phantoms waiting for him (so it's a 3 on 1). They try and run for their lives. They get dealt with rather quickly

Those Who Attempt To Destroy Me, Shall Be Obliterated!!

Megatron
post #68 of 1770 Old 09-16-2009, 10:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfame View Post

Yes, there is a big community. I LOVE ambushing Black Phantoms who invade my game. If you use the Thief's Ring and Graverobbers Ring (Black Phantoms have NO idea where you are at). I just wait and ambush them at a Pinch Point. The other cool aspect about CO-Op is if you have a buddy playing you can hook up and exchange weapons, stones, armor with each other. I did this the other nite. My buddy needed Moonlight Stones and I need Chunks of Hardstone, we hooked up and traded with each other. The other funny thing is when a Black Phantom invades and there are two Blue Phantoms waiting for him (so it's a 3 on 1). They try and run for their lives. They get dealt with rather quickly

Sounds more and more interesting. I might have to pick this one up, but I may need to clone myself in order to have enough time to play this and all the good games coming out...never mind the ones in the backlog.

Damn Trophies!
post #69 of 1770 Old 09-16-2009, 10:48 AM

Quote:

Yeah! Sounds completely original compared to anything I'm familiar with or have heard of for that matter. Does it seem like there's a pretty big online community? I'm assuming only Japanese servers are supporting it right now?

I think I was on the Chinese servers since it was the Asian edition that had English(BTW the voice acting was amazing). I'm not a big fan of coop, but I saw plenty of blue marks on the ground, and there were times when my world would be invaded almost regularly. When I decided to start invading myself I was usually able to find someone to fight until I leveled up too high to find anyone anymore
post #70 of 1770 Old 09-16-2009, 10:56 AM

Liked: 832
Quote:

So I assume "Phantoms" are basically representations of others in the same area progressing through their "SP" game? And you can choose to manifest yourself and fight them. These rings hid you're "phantom" from them, thus is sort of like the enemy battles in FFVII, but with real people.

Did I get it right?
post #71 of 1770 Old 09-16-2009, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

So I assume "Phantoms" are basically representations of others in the same area progressing through their "SP" game? And you can choose to manifest yourself and fight them. These rings hid you're "phantom" from them, thus is sort of like the enemy battles in FFVII, but with real people.

Did I get it right?

A bit. There are computer controlled black phantoms as well. They are fairly powerful minibosses that drop really nice valuables. When you're playing you're will will white wisps of other characters everyone once in a while. Those are others playing their SP games. If they use a black stone they'll get pulled into another game of someone around the same experience level. The person who's game is invaded does not request it, it just happens. The items he is mentioning are theif type items that make it difficult to see a person (For computer and player controlled enemies.). You can use it to gain an advantage on any enemy.

With the coop anyone can choice to put themselves up on the market by marking the ground with a blue mark. The blue mark goes on the ground in other close to the same level people. If they see the mark and want to play with you they walk over and press x.
post #72 of 1770 Old 09-16-2009, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Just reserved my deluxe copy of this today! I haven't used a strategy guide in probably 10 years, but it sounds like I might need it for this one!

Reserved it and Uncharted 2 at Gamestop (beta code, woohoo!) and the guy working there was hyping up Demon's Souls big time. Basically told me all the same stuff I've been reading in here and said he reserved a copy of the deluxe edition too. Was nice to go there and actually have some gamers that know wtf they're talking about!

PSN - mrSM1TTY
post #73 of 1770 Old 09-16-2009, 12:15 PM

When a Black Phantom invades your game he can see where you are located (health bar). If you are wearing the two rings I mentioned they cannot see your health bar and have NO idea where you are on the map. You can ambush them this way. They will come thru the last fog you entered, so you know where they are coming from. If you see a Blue Line on the ground you can bring them into your game as a Blue Phantom and they can help you thru that level you are in or help you fight Black Phantoms. Blue Phantoms can wear a Friend's Ring that increases their power, likewise Black Phantoms can wear a Foe's Ring that does the same. The other cool thing is getting your Character Tendency or World Tendency to Pure White or Pure Black. I am at level 205 right now. If you like grinding then this game is perfect for you. Grinding the beginning of 4-2 gains the most cash.

Megatron
post #74 of 1770 Old 09-16-2009, 12:37 PM

Quote:

If you like grinding then this game is perfect for you. Grinding the beginning of 4-2 gains the most cash.

Just curious, why would anyone like grinding?
post #75 of 1770 Old 09-16-2009, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cysquatch View Post

How does the loot system work? You mention that you could get through the game without leveling. Explain the leveling/upgrade system if you could. I'm assuming there are better weapons to be had later on or do you just upgrade your starting weapons?

thanks!

Maybe I can answer this and the grinding one together..

The loot you primarily care about is Souls, that are the XP and currency of the game, and weapon materials, that are used to upgrade your weapons. Most weapon types are fairly easy to come by, so it's not finding the sword that's the hard part, it's finding the material to upgrade the sword that can be difficult.

The Souls can be used to buy stuff from vendors, unlock new spells, or mainly, upgrade your stats, which is the same thing as "leveling". (I put leveling in quotes as there really isn't a character level in this game like traditional RPGs. Your level is equal to your total number of stat upgrades) Your character attributes are like you'd imagine, Strength/Vitality/Dexterity/Magic... You increase them, you get a corresponding boost to that ability.

So, while it's much more important to learn the mechanics of the game, and where all the baddies are hiding, collecting a bunch of Souls and boosting your damage and damage resistance can make your life a lot easier.

*edit* I didn't really answer your last question. There are some unique weapons that you can only get in the late game, but mostly you'll be upgrading starter-type weapons. The unique weapons are mostly outclassed by the fully upgraded main weapon types anyway. There's a tree of upgrade options though, so choose wisely
post #76 of 1770 Old 09-16-2009, 12:58 PM

Grinding gets you more Souls (monetary system for Demon's Souls), it will also help you level up quicker. The higher the level the better. Alot of RPG gamers like Grinding.

Megatron
post #77 of 1770 Old 09-16-2009, 01:12 PM

Quote:

Grinding gets you more Souls (monetary system for Demon's Souls), it will also help you level up quicker. The higher the level the better. Alot of RPG gamers like Grinding.

Crazy people hahaha. But yeah, i agree that if you wanted to grind, Demons Souls would be a great game for it. I just don't want people to think you *have* to grind. I never felt compelled to. Then again, I died so much that I collect mad souls running through the zones repeatedly.
post #78 of 1770 Old 09-16-2009, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's like dry-humping, only with music.

PSN - mrSM1TTY
post #79 of 1770 Old 09-16-2009, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Are the classes balanced, or is there some kind of beginner/intermidiate/expert ranking between them when it comes to new players?

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

post #80 of 1770 Old 09-16-2009, 01:24 PM

You DON'T have to Grind, BUT it makes the game a lil easier if you do.

Megatron
post #81 of 1770 Old 09-16-2009, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Quote:

It's like dry-humping, only with music.

Nah, it's more like a lap dance since grinding at least earns you some cash.

The other just gets you chafed and disappointed. Sort of like a sober session of DDR.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #82 of 1770 Old 09-16-2009, 01:26 PM

No. The classes are not Balanced. Depends on how you want to play. This will give you a better understanding of the class structure. http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/classes

You can level up any character, it's just easier from the beginning with the Knight or Soldier class. If you want to start out using Magic/Miracles pick a character that has at least a 10 rating in the Magic/Miracle category.

Megatron
post #83 of 1770 Old 09-16-2009, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's funny that someone who calls himself rpg gamer isn't into grinding. Level grinding has been a corner stone of rpg play for a while now.

By a while i mean late 80's

PSN: Zetram00
MGO: Tez $$
post #84 of 1770 Old 09-16-2009, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

All that classes define is your starting equipment and the allocation of a few stat points. Once you start increasing your stats and changing your equipment, it doesn't matter what you class you started with.

If you want to fight with a specific weapon, just pick the class that starts with that weapon. A lot of people find the magic class, Royal, a good beginner class because you start with a decent ranged spell and a mana regen ring.
post #85 of 1770 Old 09-16-2009, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetram View Post

It's funny that someone who calls himself rpg gamer isn't into grinding. Level grinding has been a corner stone of rpg play for a while now.

By a while i mean late 80's

I like rpgs for storyline, setting, and game play. I like leveling my character while *doing* something. Mindless grinding is just idiotic. When I think of grinding I think more of MMOs than rpgs.
post #86 of 1770 Old 09-16-2009, 10:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Disgaea made grinding fun.

PSN: Tezasaurus
post #87 of 1770 Old 09-17-2009, 01:45 AM
AVS Special Member

i can grind 99 million souls in about 1 hour using a trick.

however it is much better to play without it. also for people who find the game to difficult. use the royal girl charchter. she has magic and the ring equiped standard. so after she uses magic she regain mp little by little.

also playing the the game together with a friend is awesome. howver only problem is one has to be in soul form and the other in human form. so when the guy died in human form. he first has to use the stone of ( forgot name ) and you get back into human form. then walk al way back to beginning and invite him again.

they should have made that abit more easy. that said. still having so much fun with this game.

and i am not the only 1. i am surprised still that this game gets played so much. when your online i see so many times white ghosts ( other online ) players.

maybe it is because this game is the cloest you get to a diablo kinda game until diablo 3 gets released in the next millenium.

also another aspect people forget. is that you can exchange items with each other. say you got a very rare stone and forged a rare sword. you can then exchange that sword with your friend so he will get that trophy as well.

awesome game for the people who have the patience and time.
post #88 of 1770 Old 09-17-2009, 07:18 AM

How? I see alot of people on the leader boards with that many Souls and they don't have alot of hours into the game. I have about 28 million souls (with 240 hours of gameplay). I always knew there was a trick to get that many souls. How'd you do it?

Megatron
post #89 of 1770 Old 09-17-2009, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:

How? I see alot of people on the leader boards with that many Souls and they don't have alot of hours into the game. I have about 28 million souls (with 240 hours of gameplay). I always knew there was a trick to get that many souls. How'd you do it?

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/ps3/...html?qid=48883

A and B= Both Characters
1) A commit suicide and collect back own body.
2) B commit suicide and collect back own body.
3) A suicides
4) Load B, collect A's body
5) Load A, collect own body
6) Load B, suicide
7) Load A, collect B's body
Load B, collect own body
9) Load A suicide << start from step 3~8

Only works with non-patched imports. Probably won't be in NA. I might just do it on my Asian copy since I still haven't patched

Chris Schempp
How to post links to Amazon.com Products.
PSN - Mandos_eD
post #90 of 1770 Old 09-17-2009, 08:08 AM

Liked: 832
Here's two go videos to get a better understanding. Looks excellent. Octobers going to be a crazy month.

That swap trick sounds much like the RE5 egg swap trick. If they allow players to swap items, it's going to be hard to patch it and stop it unless it forces a game save when they die / quit.
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page