Demon's Souls... an exclusive PS3 action-RPG - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 1770 Old 09-17-2009, 09:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Chris - Thanks. I will try this out. It does sound like the RE5 trick.

Those Who Attempt To Destroy Me, Shall Be Obliterated!!

Megatron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1770 Old 09-17-2009, 09:24 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetram View Post

It's funny that someone who calls himself rpg gamer isn't into grinding. Level grinding has been a corner stone of rpg play for a while now.

By a while i mean late 80's

Ha, I remember grinding for DAYS before I could kill the first boss in The Bard's Tale III.
post #93 of 1770 Old 09-17-2009, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
That trick is already patched out in Asia. I think it's a local trick, not MP.

Chris Schempp
How to post links to Amazon.com Products.
PSN - Mandos_eD
post #94 of 1770 Old 09-17-2009, 10:18 AM

I wonder if you can do this trick offline? I will try

Megatron
post #95 of 1770 Old 09-17-2009, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

The more I read about this game the more it interests me. I think i'm going to pick this one up when it comes out!
post #96 of 1770 Old 09-17-2009, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonies View Post

the more i read about this game the more it interests me. I think i'm going to pick this one up when it comes out!

bonzai!!!
post #97 of 1770 Old 09-17-2009, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

10/06/09 for english release in the US correct?
post #98 of 1770 Old 09-18-2009, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

I think this thread should be paid advertising dollars for hyping this game b/c everyone who joins in seems to be getting hooked and will be buying this game!

I hadn't even heard of it 2 weeks ago and now it's #2 on my list! (behind Uncharted 2)

AVS Madden League - http://avsmadden.proboards.com

PSN - mrSM1TTY
post #99 of 1770 Old 09-18-2009, 06:47 AM

Be warned that not everyone will like this game. I bought the Asian version and was really excited to play and I was completely let down. I had heard it was hard, but this game was beyond that. I felt that the gameplay was pretty bland and the combat was not very good, but that is my opinion. I love games like this, but this game really turned me off. So take my warning up front that this game is not for everyone.

Come join our adult gaming community at www.syndicatedgaming.net

XBL and Steam: diehardcubfn
post #100 of 1770 Old 09-18-2009, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markc72 View Post

Be warned that not everyone will like this game. I bought the Asian version and was really excited to play and I was completely let down. I had heard it was hard, but this game was beyond that. I felt that the gameplay was pretty bland and the combat was not very good, but that is my opinion. I love games like this, but this game really turned me off. So take my warning up front that this game is not for everyone.

How many hours did you put in to it before giving up on it?

PSN - mrSM1TTY
post #101 of 1770 Old 09-18-2009, 07:16 AM

You have to at least play thru a New Game + to get the game down. It is HARD in the beginning, but once you start to level up it gets easier. You can't play for an hour or two and say the game sucks.

Megatron
post #102 of 1770 Old 09-18-2009, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfame View Post

You have to at least play thru a New Game + to get the game down. It is HARD in the beginning, but once you start to level up it gets easier. You can't play for an hour or two and say the game sucks.

That's the impression I got from reading reviews of the import. Hopefully I'll have the time/effort to devote to it. I prefer hardcore gaming to arcade, pick up and play (Wii) type games anyway, so this will hopefully be right up my alley. The only problem I see is that Uncharted 2 comes out a week after this does! I may have to leave Demon's Souls on the shelf for a few weeks until I'm finished with the single player mode in U2 b/c I won't be able to hold off on it!

PSN - mrSM1TTY
post #103 of 1770 Old 09-18-2009, 08:40 AM

Once you start playing Demon's Souls, it's hard to put down. So yeah, finish Uncharted 2 then start DS. It will consume most of your gaming time.

Megatron
post #104 of 1770 Old 09-18-2009, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markc72 View Post

Mark,

Can you explain what you didn't like about the combat? I'm getting excited about this after the reading I've been doing, but I've been let down too often on overhyped games...
post #105 of 1770 Old 09-18-2009, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoch6599 View Post

Mark,

Can you explain what you didn't like about the combat? I'm getting excited about this after the reading I've been doing, but I've been let down too often on overhyped games...

I'd also like to hear opinions from someone who didn't like it. Everyone isn't going to love any game, regardless of how good it is. It's gotten rave reviews and a lot of people who own the import love it, so the hype seems to be warranted. The issue just seems to be whether or not it's your cup of tea b/c it's such a challenging game...something that is few and far between these days.

PSN - mrSM1TTY
post #106 of 1770 Old 09-18-2009, 02:55 PM

I have to admit I was a Oblivion fan and I thought of that as perfect combat game. It seemed like I really was hitting the bad guy. This game did not feel that way. Hits on the enemies are more a roll of the dice where I like real time combat. I really can't pick what game it's like out there currently because it's unique. I would suggest you rent it before you try it. Not bashing the game, just letting people know you may not like it.

Come join our adult gaming community at www.syndicatedgaming.net

XBL and Steam: diehardcubfn
post #107 of 1770 Old 09-18-2009, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

I always thought of combat in Oblivion to be far more dice roll than anything I encountered in Demon's Souls

Chris Schempp
PSN - Mandos_eD
post #108 of 1770 Old 09-18-2009, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 193
One is first-person and the other is third-person. I'm not sure that's an apples to apples comparison. FPS games naturally feel more immersive since you view things from the character's eyes and not at a distance behind them.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

post #109 of 1770 Old 09-19-2009, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 717
Is the reason behind the "hardness", that you have to start over from the beginning every time you die? That's what it seems like to me. I am intrigued by this title but am on the fence due to the constant talking on difficulty. I remember Breath Of Fire Dragon Quarter had a save system that was odd, but required you to start over a lot. Maybe folks are getting soft by all the hand holding games do these days.
post #110 of 1770 Old 09-19-2009, 07:06 PM

Is this game basically the equivalent of Dragon Age but 50X harder?
post #111 of 1770 Old 09-19-2009, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

Maybe folks are getting soft by all the hand holding games do these days.

There have been some interesting articles lately on Gamasutra about game design and difficulty. One on Demon's Souls. And another on BlazBlue.

The articles praised the games' designs, but used them as jumping off points to describe what it means to call a game "difficult." For BlazBlue, they said the difficulty came from the vast amounts of information and strategy that you have to digest that comes from the game's community rather than the game itself. For Demon's Souls, they said the constant death adds to the sense of "heaviness" and importance of death to the game's design and thematics.

Worth reading. Also, the Demon's Souls article single-handedly convinced me to buy the game!

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #112 of 1770 Old 09-20-2009, 02:22 AM
AVS Special Member

if you want the game can be bloody easy.

thing is most people start with knight. and knight is the hardest charchter.

take the royal ( girl ) and you start with some of the best stuff in the game. you can use magic from the beginning and your mp will fill up again as well.

also you can target in demon souls by pressing the R3 button, although i have to say that is not always perfect.

about the demons soul trick. it still works. you can still grind 10 million souls in about 1 hour. it only requires a bit more work.

anyway i would do the first session without it. when you start the game again in new game + then use the 10 million soul trick.
post #113 of 1770 Old 09-20-2009, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

There have been some interesting articles lately on Gamasutra about game design and difficulty. One on Demon's Souls. And another on BlazBlue.

The articles praised the games' designs, but used them as jumping off points to describe what it means to call a game "difficult." For BlazBlue, they said the difficulty came from the vast amounts of information and strategy that you have to digest that comes from the game's community rather than the game itself. For Demon's Souls, they said the constant death adds to the sense of "heaviness" and importance of death to the game's design and thematics.

Worth reading. Also, the Demon's Souls article single-handedly convinced me to buy the game!

I'm all for difficulty but when it gets to the point of repeating a boss or area so many times that rote memory kicks in, the fun factor diminishes. I'll probably rent this to defray the cost of destroyed controllers.
post #114 of 1770 Old 09-20-2009, 09:07 AM

im kinda getting the idea that this game is kind of like diablo 2. am i wrong in thinking this?

XBOX Live Id : Big Moogle
PSN ID: BOUNTY14
Games being played : Uncharted 2, Cod4-2, Forza 3, Lost Odyssey, Star Ocean 4
post #115 of 1770 Old 09-20-2009, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cysquatch View Post

I'm all for difficulty but when it gets to the point of repeating a boss or area so many times that rote memory kicks in, the fun factor diminishes. I'll probably rent this to defray the cost of destroyed controllers.

It's really not as bad as it sounds. Once you beat a certain area, there are shortcuts so that you can bypass that area.
post #116 of 1770 Old 09-21-2009, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

That article also helped convince me to buy (when it comes out) this game. Really looking forward to it but I'm still trying to decide how I'm going to split time between this and Uncharted 2, plus play in my 32 user online Madden league! Maybe I should just quit my job and devote all my time to my PS3...

PSN - mrSM1TTY
post #117 of 1770 Old 09-21-2009, 11:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Mog View Post

im kinda getting the idea that this game is kind of like diablo 2. am i wrong in thinking this?

Everything I've read compares it much more to rogue-likes than to collect-a-thons like Diablo 2. Anyone who's played it care to comment?

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #118 of 1770 Old 09-22-2009, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cysquatch View Post

Honestly, the bosses feel fair. Like you die because you just weren't good enough, not necessarily you didn't find the magical pattern. First 3 bosses I beat the first try. Firewalker kicked my butt though.

As for Diablo 2...not so much a loot fest, no.

Chris Schempp
PSN - Mandos_eD
post #119 of 1770 Old 09-22-2009, 09:07 AM

I'm going to say it:

Things can feel totally fair, yet still be completely unfun.

I know, it's hard to believe. However I really wouldn't find playing pick up basketball with the world's best professional players as fun as, you know... playing with people at my level. Sure, playing with the highly trained, extremely athletic, and far far taller players means that every shot I miss is /my/ fault. Afterall, I could be taller. (I joke, i kid.) I could have better reflexes. (I joke, I kid... wait, that is relevant to Videogames.) I could send my wife to Europe for four months, and spend all that time turning myself into a honed, yet unemployed and divorced, basketball playing machine. (I joke, I kid... wait... again that /is/ relevant to videogames.)

And I think this is what he or she is saying: it doesn't /matter/ if, in theory, I could practice several hundred hours to finally hone my personal playing skills. It doesn't matter if some people immediately fly through the game and declare it fair, as if this should make it fun for those of us who slog along. Sometimes it still isn't fun to repeat something over and over.

As always, thanks for taking the time to read whatever I've posted above this signature.
post #120 of 1770 Old 09-22-2009, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibilance View Post

I'm going to say it:

Things can feel totally fair, yet still be completely unfun.

I know, it's hard to believe. However I really wouldn't find playing pick up basketball with the world's best professional players as fun as, you know... playing with people at my level. Sure, playing with the highly trained, extremely athletic, and far far taller players means that every shot I miss is /my/ fault. Still not fun.

And I think this is what he or she is saying: it doesn't /matter/ if, in theory, I could practice several hundred hours to finally hone my personal playing skills. Sometimes it still isn't fun to repeat something over and over.

I'm not talking hundreds of hours. Even Firewalker was only about 20 minutes.

It's a good analogy, but it doesn't take that long, you will beat it, and you will feel awesome about it when you do.

Chris Schempp
PSN - Mandos_eD
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page