Demon's Souls... an exclusive PS3 action-RPG - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 1770 Old 10-07-2009, 07:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I went to Best Buy and it looks like they aren't even planning to carry the game. I have been holding onto a gift card for 2 months waiting for this game. Then I decided I may get it at Target because I have a gift card there and went on their website and it says not available in stores. ARG!

PSN - JRCROW
XBOX - jc23263
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1770 Old 10-07-2009, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forseti View Post

Is this 1rst or 3rd person?

3rd with the exception of bow aiming if you want to jump into 1st.

Chris Schempp
How to post links to Amazon.com Products.
PSN - Mandos_eD
post #183 of 1770 Old 10-07-2009, 08:37 AM
Advanced Member

ok, so which brick and mortar stores are actually carrying DS?

XBOX: terryb28
PSN: terryb30
post #184 of 1770 Old 10-07-2009, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
none seem to be. you're best bet is gamestop.

XBL & PSN - Harpua77
post #185 of 1770 Old 10-07-2009, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by terryb28 View Post

ok, so which brick and mortar stores are actually carrying DS?

EB/Gamestop does... but where I live, DS did not make it's release date yesterday (I pre-ordered).
post #186 of 1770 Old 10-07-2009, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Wow, that seems like a giant crock of crap that Bestbuy isn't carrying this game
post #187 of 1770 Old 10-07-2009, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Guess I'll have to use my Ebgames credits for that then

Good thing I'm giving Cod4 too. I think it still goes for 30$+
post #188 of 1770 Old 10-07-2009, 09:36 AM

GameTrailers - 8.9
post #189 of 1770 Old 10-07-2009, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 61
It is also sold at Frys. Many have mentioned that Frys is selling it for $49.99 this week, and the deluxe version for $59.99. I have not seen an ad or gone to the store to verify.
post #190 of 1770 Old 10-07-2009, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

90 on Metacritic so far (yea, I know metacritic sucks, blah blah).

It seems to the lower scoring outliers are screaming "too hard!"

http://www.metacritic.com/games/plat...on%27s%20souls
post #191 of 1770 Old 10-07-2009, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah even destructiod reviewed it saying it was too hard and they didn't finish it (in the alloted time) so they didn't give it a score, but they said it was good!
post #192 of 1770 Old 10-07-2009, 10:12 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfoltz View Post

It is also sold at Frys. Many have mentioned that Frys is selling it for $49.99 this week, and the deluxe version for $59.99. I have not seen an ad or gone to the store to verify.

Not sure if they have it in stock yet, but yes it is $49.99/$59.99 till tomorrow. They usually extend into next week, but it is not guaranteed.

Come join our adult gaming community at www.syndicatedgaming.com

XBL, PSN, and Steam: diehardcubfn
post #193 of 1770 Old 10-07-2009, 10:48 AM

Liked: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonies View Post

Yeah even destructiod reviewed it saying it was too hard and they didn't finish it (in the alloted time) so they didn't give it a score, but they said it was good!

That's pretty funny, my type of game.
post #194 of 1770 Old 10-07-2009, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 208
In this article, Gamasutra rounds up some of the critical praise this game is receiving:

Quote:

This week's edition of Critical Reception examines online reaction to the PlayStation 3-exclusive dungeon crawler Demon's Souls, which reviews describe as "stylistically different from anything you've ever played before." Demon's Souls currently earns a score of 90 out of 100 at Metacritic.com.

Travis Dwyer at Gaming Age gives Demon's Souls a grade of A-. "Make no mistake, this can be a brutally unforgiving game and may not appeal to everyone," he warns, "but this is definitely the type of game that was needed to expand the PS3's library."

"Demon's Souls is best described as an action RPG," Dwyer explains. "It's a dungeon crawler that's kind of light on story yet not even close to a loot-filled Diablo clone. There is lots of stat building to define your character type, but success is really dictated by the skill of the user."

Dwyer finds that Demon's Souls adopts a unique approach to multiplayer gameplay. "Demon's Souls is a very unusual, but welcome, mix of single and multiplayer online," he says. "While you can't invite a friend to play through the game co-op, there is a constant mix of multiplayer in your single player game."

Dwyer continues: "First, there are the player notes. Anyone can leave a glowing message on the ground as a hint for other players. They'll give advice like 'ambush ahead' or 'enemy uses fire'. These appear in everyone's world and can be rated for helpfulness by the rest of the community. Second, players that are dead can place a glowing marker on the ground for living players to invite them into their world. This dichotomy of living and dead can work together to kill the stage boss serving each others' goals."

Demon's Souls is a game that requires patience, but ultimately offers a rich reward. "I found Demon's Souls to be very addicting, especially when you make full use of the multiplayer features," Dwyer concludes. "There's no way to sugar coat the difficulty though, and even I had to put the game down for a couple days just to take a deep breath before going back to it. But, the things that draw you back in are the superior level design, morose artwork, and engaging gameplay."

Play Magazine's Heather Campbell rates Demon's Souls at 9.5 out of 10. "No pause button. Constant, recurring death. Loss of XP. And brutal, challenging combat," she begins. "Welcome to the anti-casual game experience."

Campbell notes that Demon's Souls is an experience defined by its difficulty. "Demon's Souls is a game that takes itself seriously on a Dungeons and Dragons level," she writes. "A game where real-world physics meets a meticulously realized fantasy setting. The producer-developer of Demon's Souls is your DM, and he's a real stickler for the rules."

"As a result, Demon's Souls will be misread as a game that punishes the player," Campbell continues. "It does not. Instead, it asks you, sincerely: What would you actually do if you were thrust into a dark fantasy world? What is it really like to be a hero? Would you grab the three-foot sword because it looks awesome? Or would you equip yourself with a more conservative blade, and gingerly step towards your opponent with an eye on the exit?"

This emphasis on difficulty results in an altogether satisfying experience, says Campbell. "There is nothing insurmountable about Demon's Souls," she says. "Because each challenge can be overcome, you want to overcome it. You thirst for victory. The feeling of accomplishment when you down an enemy that has kept you at bay is so rich, so heavy, that it satisfies like nothing else."

RPGFan's John McCarroll scores Demon's Souls at 86 out of 100. "Demon's Souls is a game that escapes being numerically defined by a scale," he warns, "since it will mean so many different things to so many different people. Demon's Souls is tough, stylistically different from anything you've ever played before, and introduces gameplay elements that are at the same time both archaic and gloriously new."

McCarroll praises Demon's Souls for its unique online functionality. "If you do not have your PlayStation 3 connected to the internet, this game is drastically different," he writes. "When Demon's Souls is played online, the player is always connected to the server, and is constantly receiving updates."

"Players can leave messages for each other," McCarroll continues, "although there is no freeform messages, only those that are left as part of a 'choose-the-word' system, resulting in messages like 'Watch out for spear!' These messages are incredibly important to Demon's Souls, however, as the game's brutal difficulty is curbed somewhat by players being able to tell others what's ahead."

The control setup may take some adjustment, however. "The one thing I'm not so hot on in Demon's Souls' gameplay is the control scheme. Attacks and shield blocks are located on the triggers, which for an action-RPG seems odd," McCarroll says. "There's nothing wrong with the controls, it's just they take some time to get used to."

Despite its problems, McCarroll recommends Demon's Souls for its unique qualities. "It's up to you as the gamer to figure out if an incredibly difficult, incredibly unique game is the game for you," he notes in conclusion. "For me, the experience of just playing a game that has these features not seen anywhere else is worthwhile."

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

post #195 of 1770 Old 10-07-2009, 12:29 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
I' m not gonna lie, we have been spoiled with easy difficulty in games, to the point where we don't even have a set number of lives in games anymore. You make it to a checkpoint, die, rinse and repeat until you get past that point. Even if you die, there are no serious consequences for dying. Last night while playing this, I found myself getting extremely frustrated, and guess what? It was my fault; I got to a certain point on the first level, died, got there again, died, and then I started dying even before I got to that point...why? Because I was rushing and not using strategy. This game requires you to take every encounter seriously and I am beginning to appreciate it.....because dying in this game actually means something, and you don't want to die, because you lose all your souls/money and have to start from the beginning of the level...just brutal!

This is a true rpg gamer's game, if you are easily frustrated, or just want a great experience without the work and sense of true accomplishment, skip this. I think the best tip I can give for this game is to constantly use your souls to level up, before you potentially die and lose them all...some times pushing too far forward isn't the smart choice.
post #196 of 1770 Old 10-07-2009, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

I can't even remember the last game I played that had "lives" lol... sad!

Last game that I played that punished you for dying was Everquest.... man that game was brutal!
post #197 of 1770 Old 10-07-2009, 04:48 PM

Liked: 11
Got my Deluxe Ed. on Lunch... now it's just sitting on my desk taunting me...
post #198 of 1770 Old 10-07-2009, 10:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I'm enjoying the game so far -- it's not quite as brutal as the reviews suggest, and the consequences of death are usually manageable. Very cool to see the ghosts of others flittering through your own game...

- Jer
post #199 of 1770 Old 10-07-2009, 10:48 PM

So whats the trick to killing the guy on the first level with with the glowing red eyes? Every time I get to him I pick up my souls, then he kills me in one swipe. grrrr

PSN: moosemeister
XBOXlive: beilzebub
post #200 of 1770 Old 10-07-2009, 11:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbeiler View Post

So whats the trick to killing the guy on the first level with with the glowing red eyes? Every time I get to him I pick up my souls, then he kills me in one swipe. grrrr

Hard to beat him early on. Use to you could lure him back to the top of the wall where you came up and fight him there easier... not sure if it still works or not.
post #201 of 1770 Old 10-08-2009, 03:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Anybody who's got the deluxe version have input on it? I'm deciding to see if the strategy guide would be helpful and worth the extra $10. I want to get this at Toys R Us's 2 for 3 sale with Drake 2 and Dirt 2...Gonna be a long winter..

Onkyo 605 - Pioneer Pro-730HD - HD-XA2
XBL: Degenerazn
PSN: Degenerazn
Wii: 8392 0559 3275 9767
post #202 of 1770 Old 10-08-2009, 07:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Degenerazn View Post

Anybody who's got the deluxe version have input on it? I'm deciding to see if the strategy guide would be helpful and worth the extra $10. I want to get this at Toys R Us's 2 for 3 sale with Drake 2 and Dirt 2...Gonna be a long winter..

All indications so far point to Toys R Us not carrying DS, but any confirmation of the contrary would be very appreciated!

XBOX: terryb28
PSN: terryb30
post #203 of 1770 Old 10-08-2009, 07:22 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Holy crap, you're not kidding. He killed me 3 times before I decided to just go the other way. I figure I can come back to him once I level up a little.
I am loving this game. Played it for 2 or 3 hours last night before the wife started getting upset. Luckily shes leaving town for the weekend!

How do you go into first person mode when aiming the crossbow? I just purchased it from the seller and was trying to hit the dragon with it, but it wasn't that accurate in third person.

Gamertag: Fargus
Playstation ID: Fargus79
post #204 of 1770 Old 10-08-2009, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargus777 View Post

How do you go into first person mode when aiming the crossbow? I just purchased it from the seller and was trying to hit the dragon with it, but it wasn't that accurate in third person.

No first-person mode that I know of. You need to get in the habit of always using the auto-lock whenever you fight. That will automatically aim your crossbow at your enemies, making first-person mode moot.

Also, good luck trying to kill that dragon with a crossbow!

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #205 of 1770 Old 10-08-2009, 07:35 AM

Liked: 832
Just a heads up guys, be sure to use the spoiler tag with spoilers. Some of us aren't grabbing it right away.

Here's how to encase you don't know:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/misc....bbcode#spoiler
post #206 of 1770 Old 10-08-2009, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargus777 View Post

L1. Tap it with bow/crossbow enabled and you'll get some crosshairs. Tap L1 again to go back to third person. When in FP, you can zoom in and out.

------------------------------------
PSN/XBO: frankthetoad
post #207 of 1770 Old 10-08-2009, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetoad View Post

L1. Tap it with bow/crossbow enabled and you'll get some crosshairs. Tap L1 again to go back to third person. When in FP, you can zoom in and out.

...ONLY BOW.

Sorry, wanted that to be clear, NO CROSSBOW.

In regards to Red Eyed dude:

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
He's about level 30. Unless you started as a Royal, leave him. I killed him at Level 3 because I could run backwards across that bridge/wall and keep shooting him. Then turn and run. He eventually backs off. Regen mana, start over

Chris Schempp
PSN - Mandos_eD
post #208 of 1770 Old 10-08-2009, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonies View Post

I can't even remember the last game I played that had "lives" lol... sad!

The last game I played that had lives was Bionic Commando Rearmed, and guess what? They patched it to give you unlimited lives!

Sorry Tyrant, guess I thought that wasn't really a spoiler.

So question for all... what class are you starting with and why?

PSN: moosemeister
XBOXlive: beilzebub
post #209 of 1770 Old 10-08-2009, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The last game I played that had lives was Bionic Commando Rearmed, and guess what? They patched it to give you unlimited lives!

Sorry Tyrant, guess I thought that wasn't really a spoiler.

So question for all... what class are you starting with and why?

Royal.

Decent ranged magic + Fragrant Ring(MP regen off the bat)

Chris Schempp
PSN - Mandos_eD
post #210 of 1770 Old 10-08-2009, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Knight - Good armor, low soul level (upgrading costs less), balanced stats to start *.

* You'll want to dump stat points to go with your play style, but I wasn't sure how I would take on this game so I went with a fairly balanced character to start.

I too don't find it as difficult as the reviews made it seem. I do have trouble with the fact that you can't pause the game, but other than that no real gripes.
Reply PlayStation Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page