Demon's Souls... an exclusive PS3 action-RPG - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1770 Old 10-07-2008, 01:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 185

Here's a link to the official Wiki page for the game, which wil go over a ton of info and strats.

Quote:

Demon’s Souls releases on October 6 in two flavors: standard ($59.99) and deluxe ($69.99). The deluxe edition nets you a 160-page strategy guide (not sold separately!) and a beautiful embossed slipcase with foil accents. Pre-order EITHER version at a participating retailer (while supplies last) and you’ll also receive a 40-page, full-color art book and the game’s full soundtrack CD — all at no extra cost to you.

*** September '09 Update ***

Incredible launch trailer!

Already a critically acclaimed title in Japan with a HUGE positive response from import gamers, the U.S. version is due out in October. The reviews are now starting to come in for the localized version.

Gamer Limit:
Quote:

9.0 Presentation
All in all, Demon's Souls' graphics look top notch on the Playstation 3. While you won't find it hard to appreciate the hauntingly detailed locales, some areas feel a bit more boring than others.

9.5 Gameplay
You won't find many titles that have as much combat depth as Demon's Souls. Additionally, you can play the game exactly how you want it, and you will always learn from your mistakes. However, the in-game tutorials are poor, and it will leave many gamers scouring the internet for FAQs.

9.0 Sound
Demon's Souls' sound effects are absolutely perfect. When you encounter the haunting tentacle mage's gentle bell ringing, you'll feel chills. It's a shame that the score wasn't utilized as well as it could have in practice, though.

10.0 Longevity
I can't think of another action game with the same amount of replayability as you'll find here. If you're bored of playing on your own, join someone elses game and grief them as a demon, and leave them notes that will unbeknowst to them, lead them to their doom. Addtionally, with a level cap of 712, don't expect to ever put this game down.

9.5 Overall
Demon's Souls is one for the history books. It simply improves the recently stale action genre, and is way ahead of its time with its vision of online play.

~~~~

A description translated from Famitsu magazine:

Quote:

Sony Computer Entertainment has announced in the latest Famitsu magazine a new Action-RPG called Demon's Souls developed by From Software for the PlayStation 3. The title is scheduled for next year in Japan. Demon's Souls will be playable at Tokyo Game Show.
  • Create your own hero with many customization options.
  • You will have to battle against huge monsters.
  • Monsters can apparently change form (giant butterfly, powerful dragon, etc.)
  • The game gives freedom to the player to follow the primary story or not.

Here's an impressive looking hype trailer from Sony. February 5, 2009 is the release date in Japan.

Overview from 1up :

Quote:

While details are still scant on Demon's Soul, SCE Japan producer Takeshi Kajii described the game to Famitsu as a spiritual successor to King's Field, the From-developed first-person RPG that first hit it big on the original PlayStation. "I am a fan of From Software, but naturally that also means there are parts of their games I'm not satisfied with, too," he said. "If this was a new King's Field game, there would be areas we wouldn't be able to touch since they're part of the series; working together like this, we can try to make something really new."

Demon's Souls takes place in the kingdom of Boletaria, currently enshrouded in a deep fog thanks to its king inadvertently unleashing an ancient monster from his slumber. You, a nameless hero who you're free to customize Elder Scrolls-style, must penetrate into Boletaria and save the kingdom -- but like many US RPGs these days, the game is slated to be extremely open-ended. "You get only the barest minimum of a goal, and there's nothing forcing you to do anything in the game," Kajii said. "People say to you 'Save the world,' but you can ignore them and keep going if you like."

The way Kajii and From Software director Hidetaka Miyazaki described it, Demon's Souls is a bit of a hybrid -- an RPG that uses the PS3's hardware to the hilt while still retaining the challenge and exploration of traditional role-players. Your hero can use a wide variety of weapons, each of which has different attacks and animations depending on how skillful you are or whether you're using one hand or two, and the game's physics system places natural limits on what's possible in any given tactical situation. "We gave a lot of thought to how to make the fun and charms of a classic RPG interesting all over again with the latest technology at hand," Miyazaki noted. "We figured that doing the things that previous hardware ignored -- having long weapons bump into walls, lighting the area in realtime with the torch in your hand -- would make the game that much more fun. We're taking the things you did through menus in Wizardry and letting you carry them out in real life." (Miyazaki also hinted that while Demon's Souls won't have multiplayer, he would still like to "find a way to use the Internet to make the single-player mode more interesting.")

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1770 Old 10-07-2008, 02:14 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looks nice, but will it be another title that wont show up in the US?
post #3 of 1770 Old 10-07-2008, 06:23 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I heard this is to be the spiritual successor to the King's Field series.

I'm probably one of the 17 people that love this franchise, so this is a day one purchase for me if it ever hits the U.S.

King's Field ROCKS!!!!!
post #4 of 1770 Old 10-07-2008, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billbofet View Post

I'm probably one of the 17 people that love this franchise, so this is a day one purchase for me if it ever hits the U.S.

King's Field ROCKS!!!!!

include me in that 17.

The 5.0 is here
post #5 of 1770 Old 10-07-2008, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

More on DS from 1up (thanks Slacker George):

Quote:

While details are still scant on Demon's Soul, SCE Japan producer Takeshi Kajii described the game to Famitsu as a spiritual successor to King's Field, the From-developed first-person RPG that first hit it big on the original PlayStation. "I am a fan of From Software, but naturally that also means there are parts of their games I'm not satisfied with, too," he said. "If this was a new King's Field game, there would be areas we wouldn't be able to touch since they're part of the series; working together like this, we can try to make something really new."

Demon's Souls takes place in the kingdom of Boletaria, currently enshrouded in a deep fog thanks to its king inadvertently unleashing an ancient monster from his slumber. You, a nameless hero who you're free to customize Elder Scrolls-style, must penetrate into Boletaria and save the kingdom -- but like many US RPGs these days, the game is slated to be extremely open-ended. "You get only the barest minimum of a goal, and there's nothing forcing you to do anything in the game," Kajii said. "People say to you 'Save the world,' but you can ignore them and keep going if you like."

The way Kajii and From Software director Hidetaka Miyazaki described it, Demon's Souls is a bit of a hybrid -- an RPG that uses the PS3's hardware to the hilt while still retaining the challenge and exploration of traditional role-players. Your hero can use a wide variety of weapons, each of which has different attacks and animations depending on how skillful you are or whether you're using one hand or two, and the game's physics system places natural limits on what's possible in any given tactical situation. "We gave a lot of thought to how to make the fun and charms of a classic RPG interesting all over again with the latest technology at hand," Miyazaki noted. "We figured that doing the things that previous hardware ignored -- having long weapons bump into walls, lighting the area in realtime with the torch in your hand -- would make the game that much more fun. We're taking the things you did through menus in Wizardry and letting you carry them out in real life." (Miyazaki also hinted that while Demon's Souls won't have multiplayer, he would still like to "find a way to use the Internet to make the single-player mode more interesting.")

post #6 of 1770 Old 10-07-2008, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 35
A lot of the King's Field games are downloadable on the JPN server if you can read/play in japanese.

"Damn, you can't get black levels like that on your projector!"
- My brother, just before he realized his LED display had died.

Link to my Basement build
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1529034/conspiracy-basement-build
post #7 of 1770 Old 10-07-2008, 09:01 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I still have all the King's Field games, but I've grown so used to dual analog control over the years that I just can't play them withouth being frustrated by the controls.

I think I could handle it better if it was on my psp, but that's a pipe dream.

I'm glad to hear others have played and loved it.

It was one of my first ps1 games and I think I put up with the insane difficulty curve at the beginning simply because it was the only game I had at the time being a poor college student.
post #8 of 1770 Old 10-07-2008, 09:13 AM

Looks like it could be interesting. I wish From software would make another Otagi though.
post #9 of 1770 Old 10-07-2008, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Wow, they should have made Armored Core look that nice.

Hope there's co-op!
post #10 of 1770 Old 10-07-2008, 11:15 AM

Liked: 13
I remember playing King's Field 2 and enjoying it way back when. Kinda like Doom with a sword as I recall.

Cheers,

Jeff

SXRD/Denon/OPPO/HTPC/PS4/PS3/XB360/NHT/HSU
PSN ID: Krondorian
XBL ID: Midkemian
West Coast
Twitter: @Krondo_jd
post #11 of 1770 Old 10-07-2008, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 49
WOW! This look nice and if it's like Shadow of the Colossus.. DAY 1 buy for me for sure... I LOVED Shadow of the Colossus!!!!!!!
post #12 of 1770 Old 10-07-2008, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppshooky View Post

Hope there's co-op!

Quote:

Miyazaki also hinted that while Demon's Souls won't have multiplayer, he would still like to "find a way to use the Internet to make the single-player mode more interesting.")

I was hoping it was Monster Hunter-esque.. unfortunately not.
post #13 of 1770 Old 11-19-2008, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Latest word from a magazine is that this game is due out February 5, 2009 in Japan:

post #14 of 1770 Old 11-19-2008, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

http://www.psu.com/Demons-Soul-dated...0005427-p0.php

It's pretty cool that it is coming out so soon. Hopefully we won't have to wait too long.
post #15 of 1770 Old 11-19-2008, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubBucket View Post

I was hoping it was Monster Hunter-esque.. unfortunately not.

Then look at White Knight Chronicles.
http://ps3.psu.com/White-Knight-Chronicles--g77.php
post #16 of 1770 Old 11-19-2008, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protopet View Post

Then look at White Knight Chronicles.
http://ps3.psu.com/White-Knight-Chronicles--g77.php

Oh trust me.. I have What I like about MH, and Demon Souls seems to emphasize, is the action part of the RPG. The fights are mostly skill based. Strategy in preparation, positioning, timing, reactions.. less the typical, single button attack or spell based almost entirely on your stats. Balancing all that with a multi-player aspect is really rewarding.
post #17 of 1770 Old 12-27-2008, 03:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Here's an impressive looking hype trailer from Sony. February 5, 2009 is the Japanese release date.

Here is some additional translated info from the NeoGAF forums:

Quote:

Official site updated with hi-def movie and a lot of hardcore details that some RPG fans may like. The system looks really hardcore.

Primary Attributes: (rough equivalence in English)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Body/Strength - Affects HP and carried weight.
Intelligence - Affects MP and number of spells learned.
Endurance - Affects stamina, weight carried, fire defense, bleeding defense, disease defense.
Strength - Attack bonus
Skill/Agility - Attack bonus and modifies damage from falling.
Magic - Affects potency of spells.
Faith - Strength of miracles, number of miracles learned, protection from magic.
Luck - Affects chances of item drops, resistance to disease.

Secondary Attributes: (rough equivalence in English)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP - Self-explanatory. Souls will have half of their max.
MP - Self-explanatory.
Stamina - Depleted during attacks, dashing, dodging etc.
Equipment weight - The more carried, the slower the character.
Item weight - Weight of items. If exceeded the character can't carry more items.
Ring Effects - A character can wear a max of two rings.
Soul - The quantity of souls carried(the game's equivalent of XP and gold). Lost if character perishes, but regained if character touches his own blood patch.
Physical Defense - Self-explanatory.
Bash Defense - Affected by Physical Defense.
Slash Defense - Affected by Physical Defense.
Stab Defence - Affected by Physical Defense.
Magic Defense - Self-explanatory.
Fire Defense - Self-explanatory.
Bleed Resistance - Self-explanatory.
Poison Resistance - Self-explanatory.
Disease Resistance - Self-explanatory.

Is all this info hardcore enough for you?

Wait there's more to cover...
The starting class is just a base class. You can develop your armor-clanking warrior to cast spells, or your magician to wield gigantic two-handed swords.

Magic Types
-----------------
The higher the Intelligence, the more spell types a character can learn.

Fire Based - Self-explanatory.
Water Based - Healing and recovery.
Weapon Based - A higher class of magic. Enhances the weapon wielded.
"Trickster" Based - Support magic that requires creativity. For example, create a loud noise to distract enemies than attack them from behind.

Plus some high-level magic.

post #18 of 1770 Old 12-27-2008, 05:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billbofet View Post

King's Field ROCKS!!!!!

Make it 18. King's Field was almost surreal at times.

twitter.com/Cynnthetic
I own X360 - Wii - PS3
I see @ 1080p
I'm BROKE!
post #19 of 1770 Old 12-27-2008, 08:05 AM

Very cool video, thanks!
post #20 of 1770 Old 01-07-2009, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

post #21 of 1770 Old 01-08-2009, 02:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protopet View Post

Two new pics
http://www.psu.com/Tantalizing-Demon...0006028-p0.php

*squints*

Is it just me, or do those kind of look like ****?

PSN: Tezasaurus
post #22 of 1770 Old 01-08-2009, 09:08 AM
Advanced Member

You're right Tez. Those screenshots def look a lot worse than the trailer showed. I wonder if the trailer was CGI. And those screenshots were the actual game engine. But there were some scenes in the trailer that looked like they were from in game play. I think it seemed that the emphasis of the game design was on the worlds and environments looking epic and on a grand medieval scale. And I love that feeling of being engulfed by huge interesting worlds, other than reality.

Let me just say that trailer was AWESOME. It had alchemy, 8 ft long broad swords, Mothra, a huge fat guy gatekeeper like in Fist of the North Star and I am not going to even get in to the triceratops dragon at the end.

TWW clan
psn metafourik
post #23 of 1770 Old 01-08-2009, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

sooo...I am a little confused. This, like white knight, look good, but I dont want to get excited about a game that we may (very likely) not see in the US.
post #24 of 1770 Old 01-25-2009, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Some more pics:

post #25 of 1770 Old 01-26-2009, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

The trailer looked weak to me...

I guess theres just something about 1st person RPG that doesnt agree with me. Its hard to connect to a char with no face.

post #26 of 1770 Old 05-20-2009, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

*** MAY '09 UPDATE ***

Atlus is bringing us the U.S. version.

Quote:

It may be a first-party title in Japan, but Demon's Souls is coming to America courtesy of Atlus. This "spiritual successor" to King's Field got a mixed response from Japanese critics: some loved the nostalgic gameplay, while others found the brutal difficulty a bit too oppressive.

One of Demon's Souls greatest features is its online connectivity. Players will be able to leave hints for each other, "replay death scenes", cooperatively revive dead players, or invade other player's games to "wreak havoc." Hope your friends aren't jerks.

Atlus plans on providing "updates" at E3 later this year, so stay tuned for more.

post #27 of 1770 Old 05-21-2009, 08:31 AM

I got so excited to see this news on another site because I wanted to share the good news here but nooooo Mr. Joeblow beat me to it!!!!! But really, nice work Joeblow, you're always here with the news right away!
post #28 of 1770 Old 05-21-2009, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

I hope my asian version will play nicely with servers from the US release.

post #29 of 1770 Old 05-21-2009, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Nice.. I just received my copy from Hong Kong, and would be very sad if everyone didn't get to see how great of a game this is.
post #30 of 1770 Old 05-21-2009, 11:25 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

*** MAY '09 UPDATE ***

Atlus is bringing us the U.S. version.

I have been thinking about importing this game for a while, but I think I will wait until it is released here now. Kind of surprising it wasn't being brought over here right away, especially considering the English text and vocals are already in other versions.

PSN = Hatcher14
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page