PS3 Sync Issues (controller) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 434 Old 10-10-2008, 10:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Okay, so long story short: something appears to be wrong with my PS3's ability to sync with my controller. The console will sync fine in the beginning (when I turn it on); however, once the controller tuns off due to inactivity (say because I'm watching a movie), there is no way to get it back on. The following scenario just occurred 3 times in the past week (3 for 3):

1. Turn on PS3, sync up controller... remove USB tether... controller still synced.

2. Play movie (from DVD), finish movie, press PS button to turn on controller (which has turned off due to inactivity).

3. Controller blinks all 4 LED's rapidly (not the slow blink). Controller refuses to do anything but blink... even when USB tether is connected.

4. Eject movie to get to "home" screen. Controller still will not do anything

5. Hit the front power/reset button... PS3 mocks me...

6. Hard restart with rear switch.

Cycle repeats.

This is from a 40gig PS3 that I have owned since Jan of this year. Controller sync has never been nearly as good as my xbox... but it does a much better job of playing DVDs (and of course also plays BRD's) so I use it much more frequently for media (not to mention it's dead quiet). I'm not sure if it has gotten worse... or I'm just finding it more annoying that ever.

For the record: this is one of two PS3's in the house (we also have an 80gig downstairs). I know how to charge the controller...sync it...and use it. I have NEVER had a problem with this on the 80gb (and the sixaxis that I was using works fine on that machine).

From some google search goodness: it seems that wireless interference may be the issue. However, given that we do live in a modern society, I'm not sure I understand why this "should" be a problem (not saying that it isn't the problem). I do have a wireless router (wrt54g) sitting about 3 feet from the PS3 (and it has always been fairly close since I purchased the system).

Anyway, I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this problem (or a similar problem). I'm kinda getting fed up with having to hard restart my PS3 after every movie that I watch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by discopaul
Electrons aren't into hype, they stick with the laws of physics.
Samsung 4065F, Xbox360, 40gb PS3, Tosh HD-A2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 434 Old 10-10-2008, 10:56 PM

did you reassign the controller? You may have to select that option. I am not in front of my ps3 and I cant remember off hand the steps, but there should be the option somewhere to reassign the controller.
post #3 of 434 Old 10-11-2008, 06:36 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
The fix is simple. Don't let it turn off by itself. After you get your movie going, press PS, then "turn off controller". When you press PS again, the controller will sync to the same number that it was before. Try it, and let us know...
post #4 of 434 Old 10-11-2008, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by motobonsai View Post

did you reassign the controller? You may have to select that option. I am not in front of my ps3 and I cant remember off hand the steps, but there should be the option somewhere to reassign the controller.

I can't actually select any option when the problem occurs. I could try reassigning it to a different number when I turn on my PS3 and see if that changes anything. However, when the problem occurs, I've found it impossible to get the PS3 to respond to the controller (holding PS button, resetting controller, plugging it in/out). Everything gives me the 4 fast blinking lights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayoldschool View Post

The fix is simple. Don't let it turn off by itself. After you get your movie going, press PS, then "turn off controller". When you press PS again, the controller will sync to the same number that it was before. Try it, and let us know...

I'll try to see what happens when I manually turn it off. Honestly, I wouldn't call this a "fix," as it should still work the way it was designed to normally. I will try it and see what happens though. However, I just restored this PS3 to see if that worked. Hopefully one of these fixes work.

Quote:
post #5 of 434 Old 10-11-2008, 10:58 PM - Thread Starter

Manually turning the controller off after I started the movie did nothing. Same symptoms... same problems...

I also did a restore (as I mentioned above)... didn't fix anything. I think I'm going to give Sony a call tomorrow. This PS3 has barely been used... it definitely shouldn't be flaking out.

Quote:
post #6 of 434 Old 10-12-2008, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
did ya do a controller reset? theres a little button on the bottom of the controller (press with a pin)

PSN: Wrassle
360: Burnt of Wrassl
post #7 of 434 Old 10-12-2008, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayoldschool View Post

I have a better "fix" so to speak. He can get the PS3 bluetooth remote and use that when he plays movies...then when he plays games he uses the controller.

But first I would just try resyncing the controller.
post #8 of 434 Old 10-12-2008, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdoyledimou View Post

did ya do a controller reset? theres a little button on the bottom of the controller (press with a pin)

Yes, I did reset the controller quite a few times. It doesn't seem to do anything (and I've probably tried it half a dozen times every time this particular problem arises).

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTRic View Post

I have a better "fix" so to speak. He can get the PS3 bluetooth remote and use that when he plays movies...then when he plays games he uses the controller.

But first I would just try resyncing the controller.

The whole issue is that I cannot resync the controller without hard restarting the console. The controller/ps3 does not respond to ANYTHING after it turns off. I can manually turn the controller back on by pressing the PS button. However, all it does is blink at me (the fast blink with all 4 lights ... not the slow blink). It doesn't matter if it's plugged in or wireless... it refuses to do anything.

Note: I actually have been thinking about buying a bluetooth remote; however, I will not do this to "fix" this issue. I know this isn't supposed to happen... as it doesn't happen with my 80gb machine (only the 40gb). I know the controller works perfectly as it doesn't exhibit this problem on the other machine.

I guess this is a problem that I have to call Sony about.

Edit: Well I talked to sony... and the tech said I could send it in for warranty work... all I have to do is find my receipt (which honestly... I know I have somewhere... I just can't find it at the moment). Hopefully best buy can hook me up. It would be nice if they just said: hey since we just started selling the 40gb model in Nov07, so since it can't possibly be more than a year old, we'll just let you send it in.

Quote:
post #9 of 434 Old 10-13-2008, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Do you have the latest patch?
post #10 of 434 Old 10-13-2008, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindwarper View Post

Do you have the latest patch?

Yup (I always do).

Quote:
post #11 of 434 Old 10-23-2008, 03:20 PM

I have the same exact problem and the same 40g PS3 that I purchased in March of this year. I also purchased the Nyko Bluwave IR remote with USB dongle to to use when watching movies. When my sixaxis controller loses its connection to the PS3, the PS3 also stops responding to the Nyko IR commands. I have to do a hard reboot of the whole system and reset the controller several times to get it to sync up again. It is very strange and extremely frustrating.
post #12 of 434 Old 10-23-2008, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Maybe do the 3 beep startup. Hold the power button when it is on standby until you hear a third beep and you should see a menu. Maybe one of those options could fix it.
post #13 of 434 Old 10-24-2008, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protopet View Post

Maybe do the 3 beep startup. Hold the power button when it is on standby until you hear a third beep and you should see a menu. Maybe one of those options could fix it.

I'm not familiar with this. Is this a system setup menu? I'll take a look at it tonight and see if there is a setting I can change or correct.
post #14 of 434 Old 10-24-2008, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

question...you said that AFTER the controller loses its connection, and you try to turn the PS3 off by holding the power button, the PS3 mocks you...meaning it wont turn off? Does it beep or anything when trying to turn off the console with the power button?
post #15 of 434 Old 10-24-2008, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdwright77 View Post

question...you said that AFTER the controller loses its connection, and you try to turn the PS3 off by holding the power button, the PS3 mocks you...meaning it wont turn off? Does it beep or anything when trying to turn off the console with the power button?

I know mine won't. I have to reach around and turn off the switch on the back of the unit.
post #16 of 434 Old 11-05-2008, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I've been having the same (or similar) problem as many of you are reporting.

My issue is that when I press the button on the PS3 controller to turn it on, the 4 lights on the back just blink rapidly for about 30 seconds and of course the unit does not turn on.

To get the controller to work with the PS3 I have to reset it (pin), turn off the PS3 with the switch on the back, plug the controller into the PS3 via USB, turn on the PS3 with the switch on the back, turn on the PS3 with the soft switch on the front, and then press the PS button on the controller.

At that point I can use the controller while it is plugged in via USB. But as soon as I disconnect it from the USB, the controller starts flashing.

Sometimes if I muck with this a bit and try several times it'll sync wirelessly and then work fine for the duration of my play. But as soon as I turn the PS3 off and then back on I'm back to the same issue.

I have the 40gb PS3 that I purchased in Nov/Dec 2007. I never had any problems like this until around March. I've used the above technique to get the controller to pair as needed, but lately its been harder and harder to get it to pair wirelessly.

I just called Sony and they were a bit more helpful than I anticipated. They suggested I try a hardware reset by turning off the PS3, placing my finger on the soft power and keeping it there while I turn the switch on the back until I hear 2 beeps. She said this may help. I am going to try this tonight.

Another thing I am going to try is buying a new controller. I've been wanting a dual shock anyway. If I don't have any issues with the new controller than I'll know its the PS3 and will send it in for repair (I believe its still under warranty but I've got to be getting real close to the 1 year mark at this point). If the new controller works consistently this will be a best case scenario, and I'll just return the original controller to Sony for repair or replacement.

What do you guys think?
post #17 of 434 Old 11-05-2008, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

I think your best bet right now is to try another controller to see if it's your PS3 or not.

PSN: Tezasaurus
post #18 of 434 Old 11-05-2008, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Yea I agree. I went ahead and ordered a Dual Shock controller which I wanted anyway. Should be here tomorrow or Friday. I'll try it out and post back whether it worked. Certainly hoping it does.
post #19 of 434 Old 11-05-2008, 12:30 PM

I have also been having this exact same problem - ever since the last upgrade - I have an original 80gb unit - that I have never had any issues with. I have the Dualshock Controller and it does not sync up any better. I am convinced that the last update 2.50? changed something - once they added the ability for the controllers to auto turn off - (which I do not have turned on) this started happening. Glad to hear I'm not the only one - maybe the next update will fix.

post #20 of 434 Old 11-05-2008, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz727 View Post

I have also been having this exact same problem - ever since the last upgrade - I have an original 80gb unit - that I have never had any issues with. I have the Dualshock Controller and it does not sync up any better. I am convinced that the last update 2.50? changed something - once they added the ability for the controllers to auto turn off - (which I do not have turned on) this started happening. Glad to hear I'm not the only one - maybe the next update will fix.

I too was thinking perhaps it was caused by a firmware update, because it appeared seemingly out of the blue several months ago. So I've been upgrading to the latest firmware as they've been released - now about a half dozen or so- but to no avail - same issue...
post #21 of 434 Old 11-05-2008, 05:28 PM

I have encountered the EXACT same problem. Had the PS3 since March '07, never had a problem. As of yesterday this issue has been occurring. Very annoying....
post #22 of 434 Old 11-05-2008, 10:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Was_There_Then View Post

I have encountered the EXACT same problem. Had the PS3 since March '07, never had a problem. As of yesterday this issue has been occurring. Very annoying....

Yes I agree it is VERY annoying, and my only gripe with the PS3 (albeit a fairly significant one). What is also annoying is that there are seemingly hundreds of people reporting this all over the web for a while now with no real resolution. I think the challenge for Sony is that in some cases it is a bad controller, in others it is a bad PS3, and in others (although not in our cases) it is operator error like low battery. So there is probably not one main cause but rather several.

Despite that it is frustrating Sony does not have more concrete information on this. Given the large number of folks I've found across the net complaining about this issue you would think it would be quite significant for Sony and they'd be doing something more proactive about it. I keep hoping a firmware issue will address it but with each one I try, no dice.
post #23 of 434 Old 11-06-2008, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Good news - I did a hardware reset and this has fixed the issue. At least, it has as of now - hoping it doesn't return. But as of now it is working consistently, whereas before the hardware reset I couldn't get it to work at all.

Here's a quick recap. I got a new controller since I wanted the Dual Shock anyway. Plugged it in to the USB and saw it work, then disconnected it from the USB and just got the blinking lights. This ruled out my other controller as the culprit.

Then I performed the hardware reset as instructed by the Sony rep on the phone. To do this I turned off the power switch on the back of the PS3, then placed my finger on the "soft" power on button on the front of the unit and kept it there, while turning on the PS3 with the switch in the back. I kept my finger there until I heard two beeps and the unit shut itself off. Then I press the soft power on and it came on, and I had to plug the controller into the USB so I could reset some options like HDMI. It asked a few set up questions and then was done.

Then I disconnected the controller and viola, it worked!! Then I plugged my other controller in to the USB, go it to sync, disconnected it, and that one worked too.

I then spent some time wirelessly turning the PS3 on and off using each controller and it worked every time. I also turned the controllers on and off just fine.

So, for now at least it is working. And at least this is a rather quick fix so that if the problem resurfaces every now and then I won't mind too much doing the hardware reset. Certainly it is faster than the mucking around I would have to do before to try and get the controller to work.

Now another thing - this proves that it is a SOFTWARE issue/bug with the PS3. And I'm guessing it was perhaps introduced with a firmware update at some point. This gives me some hope that eventually, with enough people complaining, Sony can track it down and fix it once and for all. Certainly I am very happy I didn't have to send the PS3 in for service despite still being under warranty.

I hope this helps others. Note that there are likely multiple causes for sync issues so perhaps this will help some folks but not all.

UPDATE: Well I'm disappointed to say that things are back to not working, yep, just that quickly. I fired up a Blu Ray and while watching the movie the controller timed out. Then when I hit the PS button on it it just blinks and will not resync. I then took the other controller that hadn't been in use and tried to turn that on, and the same thing. The frustration continues. This definitely stinks of a software bug.
post #24 of 434 Old 11-07-2008, 06:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
sorry to hear that the fix did not work for you.

I have been having the same issue, but have not had any time to play around with it to try and fix anything.
As with everyone else, I did not have this problem before the last update (maybe not last last, I havent turned it on in about a week, so if there's been an update in the last week, then the problem arose 2 updates ago).
First time I had the problem was in the middle of a rock band song, phone rang, I paused the game, talked on the phone, when I got back, the drums had turned themselves off due to inactivity. Flashing lights, couldnt do anything, no buttons worked, had to abandon the song.
Second time, I was in the middle of a 10 minute RB song, and the controller for the mic turned itself off due to inactivity. Flashing lights, couldnt do anything, same old story.

The fact that this has happened for 2 different controllers suggests to me that it is in fact the system that is doing this.

Just thought I would share.
post #25 of 434 Old 11-07-2008, 10:16 AM

Sorry to hear that the hardware reset did not fix it - guess I'll try it and see if I have the same results - I am assuming that doing this procedure does not wipe out any data/game etc. from the system - as my son (and myself) would kill me if I deleted his game/game data...Thanks

post #26 of 434 Old 11-07-2008, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Well here's the latest... OK so when we last left off, the hardware reset got it to the point where I could finally connect wirelessly, and all was great until the controller timed out during the playback of a PS3. From that point the controller would only flash if I tried to use it.

So after the movie was over I turned off the PS3 using the switch on the back of the unit. Then I pressed the PS button on the controller and while it was blinking I turned the power switch on the back of the PS3 back to the ON position, and then pressed the soft power on the front of the unit. A few seconds later once the PS3 turned on I was very surprised to see that the controller was synced again wirelessly and working just fine again!

Then I tried my other controller, which also previously would just blink during the movie playback once the other controller timed out, and that one now worked again too. Then I used the PS button to turn the PS3 back off, and then back on successfully. And that worked too on the 2nd controller.

So things are back to working again. Weird. There is certainly something very buggy here. I hope Sony gets it figured out soon and that it is patchable via the firmware.

Please post your experiences as you experiment with this. Maybe among all of us we can come up with a reliable way to prevent the sync loss, or at least a reliable way to get it back easily...
post #27 of 434 Old 11-08-2008, 10:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
anyone know if simply turning off the powersaving feature for the controllers "fixes" this problem, until Sony gets it patched?
post #28 of 434 Old 11-08-2008, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

Hehe... damn I thought this post died and I have been working 70 hour weeks recently so I hadn't had the time to check the forum.

I did end up sending my PS3 back. I got a refurb 40gb back that does not have any issues with the controller. However, the fan ramps up to 100% ASAP on this one... making it especially noisy (my xbox 360 ran away from it). I'm sending it back again :/

Apparently the last patch also screwed up my ability to stream content to my PS3. All of my (previously working) mp4 files now come up as "unsupported data." I'm really starting to think about ditching the thing....

Quote:
post #29 of 434 Old 11-18-2008, 08:11 AM

Well, guess what. I have the same problem with mine (40G model purchased in February).

I guess it started maybe four months ago or so. It seems this is very common problem with PS3s when I did a Google search on the matter. Something fishy with PS3s like Bluetooth controller is put to power savings mode and it never wakes up. Only thing that helps is to switch system off from the back, back on from the back and then pressing on/off switch to turn system on. Then when I press PS button controllers are detected just fine and work as long as they do not turn off.

This is very anoying when watching BDs because BD controller loses connection with the PS3 like all the other controllers.

Mine's going to be replaced with refurbished unit which kinda sucks because mine's been used only to watch BDs.

Great job Sony

EDIT: Turning controller power saving to Off does not help.
post #30 of 434 Old 11-18-2008, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

I have a possible theory I'll float by you guys... do any of you have a Wii running in the same or nearby room?

It may have been just a coincidence, but things were running fine for a few days. Then someone switched on the Wii in a nearby room and shortly thereafter my controller lost the connection and would not resync until I switched the unit off in the back.

Do you guys think its possible that the wireless technology used in the Wii could somehow interfere with the PS3 controller or base to cause this sync issue? Is anyone here having this sync issue that does NOT have a Wii?

OK on another note here's a summary of where I've been with this and where things are now:

- Got a 40GB PS3 in November 2007.

- Never had any controller sync issues whatsoever. Then seemingly out of the blue several months later this sync issue started. I can't recall exactly when it started but now that I think about it I got a Wii in May and it feels like about that point where the issues started. Very interesting...

- I was usually able to get things to resync by switching off the PS3 (back switch) and turning it back on. Only occasionally it would fail to sync (maybe line one out of every 5 times I went to turn on the PS3).

- A couple months ago the problem got worse and it was a fight to get it to resync - had to push the pin on the control, flip the power switch, try all sorts of combinations, and after a while messing with it eventually it would sync. But as soon as I turned the unit off the issue would come back the next time I turned it on.

- Then it got to a point where no matter what the controller would not sync. To rule out a bad controller I bought a new one and it did the same thing.

- Then I did a hardware reset on the PS3 as I documented in this thread earlier. Instantly that resolved the issue. Both controllers would not sync at start up, no problem. This was about two weeks ago.

- Since that time, I had a few cases where while watching a Blu Ray the controller disconnected and would not resync. However once I switched off the PS3 (back switch) and back on all was fine, until the next time.

- Right now at least I am at a point where I can just switch it off and back on and have the controller working again. Before the hardware reset it was even more annoying because the controller would not even sync at all.

With all the people reporting this issue online its hard to imagine that Sony hasn't come up with a fix yet. Hopefully its something than can and will address via firmware.

BTW, where is the setting to turn off the power saving mode. Maybe that will prevent the controller from timing out during a movie.
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page